The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Silk is expensive and rare

ZorroDeMar
ZorroDeMar
✭✭
Silk has become one of the materials more expensive and hard to get on the game.
200 raw material produce less than 160.
200 silk sells for more than 14k gold
Survey can only give you less than 180 raw material
Crafting Writs for silk is 10 t0 1 compare to leather; you receive more crafting writs for silk than leather.
Clothing crates only gives you 1 out of 20 silk from shipment and is 25 silk out of 45 that cost to crate the writs.

Is there anything that developers can do to normalize the silk? maybe change the crafting writs to more leather than silk as same as shipment

thanks

• tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZorroDeMar wrote: »
    Silk has become one of the materials more expensive and hard to get on the game.
    Crafting Writs for silk is 10 t0 1 compare to leather; you receive more crafting writs for silk than leather.
    Clothing crates only gives you 1 out of 20 silk from shipment and is 25 silk out of 45 that cost to crate the writs.

Is there anything that developers can do to normalize the silk? maybe change the crafting writs to more leather than silk as same as shipment

thanks

If you're running out of silk. Do level 1 writs in clothing. The crate you get will give you more mats than you need back. You'll get surveys from them, collect them on a max clothier, and you'll only get Silk and Rubedo. Replenish supplies.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crafting Writs for silk is 10 t0 1 2:1 compare to leather; you receive more crafting writs for silk than leather.

thanks

There. Fixed that for you.

Clothing daily crafting writs are on a 3-day rotation with two of those days requiring silk, and the third day requiring leather. Not quite 10:1 even though it may seem that way to you.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• ZorroDeMar
    ZorroDeMar
    ✭✭
    That what I did but you loose the chances to get a Grand Repair and master writs. You also don't have no use for the petty repair kit.
  • ZorroDeMar
    ZorroDeMar
    ✭✭
    Feric your comments have no value
  • Xerikten
    Xerikten
    ✭✭✭✭
    I only run low of mats when I make a cp 160 set. surveys, deconstructing and hitting a node or two in my way keeps me in mats.

it you are using several crafters each day doing lvl 50 writs you will have to harvest or be really lucky with surveys.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That what I did but you loose the chances to get a Grand Repair and master writs. You also don't have no use for the petty repair kit.

A brand new alt character can do the writs at level 1. You can have up to 8 for free. If you have craft bag, it's super easy. If you don't you might have to do some management in your bank. You don't have to change your main. There is no loss by doing it on extra characters.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You can't do writs on a level 1 character, I forget if it's level 5 or 6 when they unlock. I agree that it's still trivial and a good source of surveys to keep your main crafter going.
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feric your comments have no value

If someone new to crafting were to read your exaggeration about silk being used on a 10 to 1 ratio compared to leather, they might be discouraged to the point of not even trying. I was simply stating that silk (or cloth in general) is only used twice as much as the leather counterpart, not ten times more.

I also tried to add a bit of levity to the situation by agreeing that it may seem like silk is overwhelmingly called for because it is astronomically more expensive than leather, but the fact remains that it's still only 2:1.

Comments that correct a fallacy with an actual fact may not be welcome, but they are valuable.

As for doing low-level writs and the loss of chance at grand repair kits and/or master writs. The rate of return on master writs for characters with minimal motif/trait knowledge is so low that if that's your whole reason for doing them then you'd be better off buying master writs from a guild store. The grand repair kits would also be much cheaper to buy with gold from someone as compared to the raw material cost of the writs that award them.

The whole point of doing low-level writs on alts is to get the surveys (which drop at the same rate regardless of writ level) which you can then collect on your max-tier crafter, thus keeping your raw material supply fully stocked. Gold/XP is the same as well for minimum-tier writs with a net gain of raw materials every, single, time.

Sorry for my snark earlier, it was all in good fun.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xerikten wrote: »

it you are using several crafters each day doing lvl 50 writs you will have to harvest or be really lucky with surveys.

I was going to post this ... but someone already beat me to it. ;)

I do 1-2 clothing writs per day and have no problem keeping up with writs and an occasional new light armor set.

Players doing clothing writs on 8-14 characters per day? Yeah, that’s gonna deplete stock pretty quickly ... leading to “can we get a handout in the form of a game change” forum posts.

• tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I do 1-2 clothing writs per day and have no problem keeping up with writs and an occasional new light armor set.

Players doing clothing writs on 8-14 characters per day? Yeah, that’s gonna deplete stock pretty quickly ... leading to “can we get a handout in the form of a game change” forum posts.

I do them on 26 a day :neutral: I don't want any nerfs though. It might also help that I have approximately 200k Silk in my craft bags between the two accounts built up...
  • ZorroDeMar
    ZorroDeMar
    ✭✭
    Thanks all for your comments but I'm not looking for a remedy. Just want the developers to take a note on that. Since leather is more common than silk.
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure about those calculations. I do 15 writs a day when I am not out of silk, I never purchase it, do not go out of my way to farm and only do surveys once a week after the week's take, and I consistently run with about 200 silk and 1000 leather in inventory. It's never been anything like 2:1 for me personally.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks all for your comments but I'm not looking for a remedy. Just want the developers to take a note on that. Since leather is more common than silk.

Leather is only more common than silk because of the 2:1 ratio. Spend a few hours running around a starter zone picking nodes, and you'll end up with much more silk than you do leather.
  • Kikke
    Kikke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have one word for you: Gathering!
    Cleared Trials:
    - vAA HM - vHRC HM - vSO HM - vMoL HM - vHoF HM - vAS HM - vCR HM -

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching."
    -Someone said it, I guess.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »

I do them on 26 a day :neutral: I don't want any nerfs though. It might also help that I have approximately 200k Silk in my craft bags between the two accounts built up...

You, sir (or madam), are an exemplary crafter ... to be able to keep up with that sort of writ demand. Kudos!
  • John_Falstaff
    John_Falstaff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Aside from what's already mentioned in here, I feel that it's the difference in how the two materials are obtained that's at fault. A lot of leather is coming from 'leather' beasts - so, killing monsters during dungeons or overland questing, it happens automatically. I don't think fibrous raw materials can be obtained from any kills, even stranglers. So that basically makes most players 'passive leather farmers', while for silk, one actually has to pay mind to harvesting nodes.
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok if I can chime in here ...

I do daily writs on one maxed out character ... No alts and I can tell you that I have to constantly farm for silk ... Yet I have leather coming out of my chuffing ears ...

Why ... Cos as my alts adventure round they kill things that return leather so I build huge amounts of it

Currently I'm at around 1.7k silk and 11k leather

So I agree with leather being much more abundantly available can we get a greater increase on leather writs 50\50 split on them would be nice
    Edited by SugaComa on December 10, 2018 11:52PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Leather/Silk issue has been a problem for years. What makes it seem worse than it is, I am not saying its balanced, is we get leathers from all the animals we kill just doing things in the game. So, we get leather out the wazoo and silk in demand. I think ZOS could flip it, 2 day leather, one day silk, and no few would complain. The Furrier Crates did not help things, I think.

Still the best solution is to have a 4 day rotation, alternating cloth and leather. Why 4? Got to have some variation, I mean, just cuz...

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many writs do you do a day, @Nestor?
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How many writs do you do a day,

I have 15 characters that can and do writs, but not all of them each day.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    They should just swap the leather/silk ratio. 2:1 leather:silk for writs.
  • ZorroDeMar
    ZorroDeMar
    ✭✭
    Yes I know that the Leather/Silk issue has been a problem for years, but when Summerset was out the leather got much better.
  • HansaBergen
    HansaBergen
    ✭✭✭
    i do writs on 14 chars a day, have no problem. Getting surveys and buying silk with the gold i get from turning in writs.
  • Easily_Lost
    Easily_Lost
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope that they aren't doing CP160 silk for there writs. You only need to do CP150.
    PC - NA - AD
    started April 2015
    PVE & Solo only

Meet the LOST family: CP 1250+
    Easily Lost Crafter - lvl 50 - Sorcerer Orc ( knows all traits and most styles )
    Easily Lost-W - lvl 50 - Warden Imperial
    Forever Lost - lvl 50 Sorcerer

CROWN CRATES: It doesn't affect gameplay, it's not mandatory, it's cosmetic only. If it helps to support the game and ZOS, I support it! Say YES to crown crates.
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    9 crafters that can do max writs but get bored after 4-5 at max because it takes to long to do on console. Wish they would make it easier in game.

To add to conversation I only ever have to buy silk and never need to buy leather.
  • heavier
    heavier
    ✭✭✭
    I stopped doing writs once I hit 160
    I'm a clothier and it's very expensive

I understand that silk is expensive though and wish other mats were as expensive.

diamonds aren't even worth 1gp per each, they're so abundant.

inconceivably odd.
  • Easily_Lost
    Easily_Lost
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I must be the odd man, because I have over 1,000 pcs of silk. I harvest every node I can get my hands on. Also what helps is that I get a lot of Clothier Surveys.
    I do wish however that would change the rotation to do more Leather writs, have over 3,500 Leather.
    PC - NA - AD
    started April 2015
    PVE & Solo only

Meet the LOST family: CP 1250+
    Easily Lost Crafter - lvl 50 - Sorcerer Orc ( knows all traits and most styles )
    Easily Lost-W - lvl 50 - Warden Imperial
    Forever Lost - lvl 50 Sorcerer

CROWN CRATES: It doesn't affect gameplay, it's not mandatory, it's cosmetic only. If it helps to support the game and ZOS, I support it! Say YES to crown crates.
  • Mancombe_Nosehair
    Mancombe_Nosehair
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have found that the trick is to have some (I have 2) crafters at skill level 50 in clothing etc and the rest at level 1. This way you get a lot of surveys to make the silk, and don't burn through your stocks. Jute etc effectively replenishes itself through the rewards anyway.

Just sell the basic repair kits. I have over 400 grand repair kits so you should have plenty.
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    More leather dailies would be nice.
    Edited by karekiz on December 26, 2018 12:17AM
  • heavier
    heavier
    ✭✭✭
    karekiz wrote: »
    More leather dailies would be nice.

leather is animal abuse