The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Avast Blocks ESO - eso64.exe IDP.Generic

SamaelHQ
SamaelHQ
✭✭✭
Anyone having the same issue? Avast keeps detecting eso64.exe as IDP.Generic (Malware).

Before you ask; no, my local game files were not affected by any kind of malware or corrupted in any way. It even happened right after repairing the game client(having eso64.exe back again). I've sent a false positive report to avast and I had to whitelist Zenimax Online folder to be able to play the game. jtsefl8a6ky6.jpg

@ZOS_BillE
Leader of Turkish Community Guild, Elder Turks.
Server: PC-EU
  • Jimboo84
    Jimboo84
    ✭✭✭
    Mauhulakh wrote: »
    Anyone having the same issue? Avast keeps detecting eso64.exe as IDP.Generic (Malware).

Before you ask; no, my local game files were not affected by any kind of malware or corrupted in any way. It even happened right after repairing the game client(having eso64.exe back again). I've sent a false positive report to avast and I had to whitelist Zenimax Online folder to be able to play the game. jtsefl8a6ky6.jpg

@ZOS_BillE

Ha! Your tread pointed me to the right location... AVG putted ESO into a box :smile:
    yhkjtu1v0k3p.jpg

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_GaryA

Meanwhile I restored my eso64.exe to the correct location, no longer blocked by Antivirus AVG, game is repaired and working again.
    Edited by Jimboo84 on December 13, 2018 4:53PM
    Jimerio / Magicka Sorcerer / PvP & PvE / Master Crafter(Woodworking, Blacksmithing, Alchemy, Provisioning, Enchanting, Clothing) / DD & Heal / CP560+ / Aldmeri Dominion / PC / EU
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've sent a false positive report to avast

How do you know it is a false positive?
    confused24.gif
  • SamaelHQ
    SamaelHQ
    ✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    I've sent a false positive report to avast

How do you know it is a false positive?
    confused24.gif

If it is not, I will be waiting for a serious explanation.
    Edited by SamaelHQ on December 14, 2018 5:41AM
  • SamaelHQ
    SamaelHQ
    ✭✭✭
    Bump
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Mauhulakh

From what has been posted above, Avast flagging eso64.exe as malware may be due to the current install location.

Have you tried changing the install location of ESO on your PC and see if that affects whether Avast still flags ESO as malware?
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • SamaelHQ
    SamaelHQ
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_BillE I don't see what is wrong with the installation location. I play the game through Steam and it's inside the steamapps directory along with lots of other games and none of them are marked as malware.

I also copied eso64.exe to desktop for testing purposes and Avast removed it instantly, saying it's IDP.Generic again. So I don't think it's about location.
  • Jimboo84
    Jimboo84
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_BillE wrote: »
    @Mauhulakh

From what has been posted above, Avast flagging eso64.exe as malware may be due to the current install location.

Have you tried changing the install location of ESO on your PC and see if that affects whether Avast still flags ESO as malware?

This is not related to the location. My install is to its default location and it happened to me too. You just need to whitelist the folder in your Antivirus system, or restore the file if it's captured by AVG,Avast, .... But in my case it's weird because the install is done x years ago and stayed there on its default location. So why this suddenly happened now?
    And why is the antivirus picking out eso64.exe...?

Most people assume that an antivirus is working properly so captured the file correctly. But what is wrong? The antivirus system or something with the ESO data?
    Edited by Jimboo84 on December 19, 2018 1:03PM
    Jimerio / Magicka Sorcerer / PvP & PvE / Master Crafter(Woodworking, Blacksmithing, Alchemy, Provisioning, Enchanting, Clothing) / DD & Heal / CP560+ / Aldmeri Dominion / PC / EU
  • Kriexy
    Kriexy
    ✭✭✭
    Just had this happen to me after installing the game on an external driver due to needing 130GB to install. I played for over a week without any issues and now suddenly I cannot login to the game without my Avast Antivirus tagging it as malware. Problem is that I even set an exception to the eso64.exe file but it still reacts the same. Any fix for this?
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    We are closing this thread from further posting since the thread is now over two years old. Some information is outdated due to the age of this thread. For anyone having the same issue, please go ahead and start a new discussion for assistance.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.