Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

More new player questions re: loot lvl and XP

Celthon
Celthon
✭✭
Have been playing about a week now, off & on, and have question(s) about the level of items picked-up from something after I've killed it, or looted from a chest, etc.:

I was told in-game in the chat, when I asked, that each character gets their own loot and their own XP when killing something...so if two people, not grouped, attack the same thing will they get equal XP or is it based on how much % of the damage they did? More damage = more of the available XP from that mob?

If I attack something that someone else is attacking, because I think they need assistance, am I 'stealing' any of their XP?

I was also told that loot is based on the character's level...so a level 10 and level 30 attacking same mob get loot appropriate for their level -- is that correct? If I loot a piece of a set, as a lvl-10 character, if I give it to someone else would it scale to their lvl, or stay at the level created when I picked it up? Just wondering if I'd be helping anyone to pass things I don't need along to friends -- but if they are higher levels would they get any benefit?

Thank you for your time and assistance.
PC -- NA Server
Celthon - Dark Elf - Beast Caller
Duinthorn - Bosmer - Umbral Assassin
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, as long as you do at least 3% of the damage, you will each get loot and exp. The loot and exp is leveled. So you will get exp appropriate to your level and a max CP player will get exp appropriate to their level (possibly buffed by enlightenment). Same for loot.

If you and another person hit the same mob, you will get lower exp than if you solved it. Its not exactly a 50/50 split as far as I can tell, but neither does it seem to scale with damage - I'm not certain and I can't find a solid answer on how it does scale. However, if you are grouped with that person, you will also get an Exp buff, which helps offset that loss, along with the way you can kill things faster.

Generally speaking, unless someone is farming mobs, its not a problem to help somebody out in a fight, and certainly not if you have the quest for a boss or something. The exp for individual mobs is pretty small. If they are farming - you'll see them running circuits in an area or pulling large grouos of mobs together to nuke them down - its polite to group up or leave them to farm.

As for loot, all loot is level-locked to when you pick it up. A level 10 helmet will always be level 10. Moreover, once you equip it, it will be bound to your character and unable to be traded.

Higher level friends will not get any benefit from your gear because they need gear at their level. If you aren't wearing it, often the best use for unused gear is to deconstruct it to level your crafting disciplines.

Hope this helps!
  • Celthon
    Celthon
    ✭✭
    Thank you for explaining everything so well!
    Edited by Celthon on December 15, 2018 5:54PM
    PC -- NA Server
    Celthon - Dark Elf - Beast Caller
    Duinthorn - Bosmer - Umbral Assassin