The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is pickpocket loot shared or individual?

BlackSparrow
BlackSparrow
✭✭✭✭✭
So, I have gotten into two unrelated arguments about this in the past week, and this is surprisingly difficult to verify with the forum search function, so hopefully the forum regulars can give a definitive answer. I'm 95% certain I know the answer to this, but could use some confirmation:

If a player pickpockets all (3) items from an NPC and doesn't kill them, does it have an effect on anyone else who tries to do the same within the same instance?

Basically, say Player A pickpockets Acolyte Alurue in Suran, Vvardenfell, until she's empty. Can Player B then pickpocket the same NPC, or does the NPC then show as empty for Player B until she respawns?

Please post only what you know (say, if you've done pickpocketing routes with another player), not just your personal theories. This includes awareness that sometimes NPCs spawn with less than 3 items, including spawning empty.

Thank you!
Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
"If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pickpocket is loot is instanced. I have pickpocket 3 times from npc other has been pickpocketing too,

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Correct, like overland/delve boxes and crates and stuff, pickpocket is per player.
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only resource nodes and chests / heavy sacks are shared.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »

Except in instanced dungeons, where every player can loot them. :)
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loc2262 wrote: »

Except in instanced dungeons, where every player can loot them. :)
    True so always shout out chest or bag and put an ground DoT on it.
    Chests has an chance of holding more of the dungeon sets so they are nice.
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys! That's what I thought. :)

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

• Alurue
    Alurue
    Soul Shriven
    Basically, say Player A pickpockets Acolyte Alurue in Suran, Vvardenfell, until she's empty. Can Player B then pickpocket the same NPC, or does the NPC then show as empty for Player B until she respawns?
    You shouldn't touch her :(
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shared. If someone already got 1 object from an NPC you can only get the other 2, with the decreased pickpocketting chances; sometimes more than 3 can be gotten, if at least one of them is a style material 1/10 piece, for Vvardenfell NPCs. If you stroll around town and crouch you'll see some NPCs you didn't touch are already empty because they were picked clean by other players. Best way is to pickpocket 3x then use Blade of Woe on them since it forces them to respawn in a few minutes with full inventories, ready to loot again. Of course you must wait for them to get in a secluded place since you'll incur almost 1K bounty if someone witnesses the kill.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    Shared. If someone already got 1 object from an NPC you can only get the other 2, with the decreased pickpocketting chances; sometimes more than 3 can be gotten, if at least one of them is a style material 1/10 piece, for Vvardenfell NPCs. If you stroll around town and crouch you'll see some NPCs you didn't touch are already empty because they were picked clean by other players. Best way is to pickpocket 3x then use Blade of Woe on them since it forces them to respawn in a few minutes with full inventories, ready to loot again. Of course you must wait for them to get in a secluded place since you'll incur almost 1K bounty if someone witnesses the kill.

See, this is what I've been seeing other people say, but I'm am 99% certain it is factually incorrect.

So, do you know if anyone has proven this? For example, has anyone done an experiment where one player checks an NPC's pockets to see what their % chance is at, a second player picks them, and then the 1st sees if the % chance has changed?

The entire reason I've been bringing this up in-game is because assassins Blade of Woeing NPCs on my pickpocket route is really annoying, and if anyone is doing it based off the assumption that it's better for everyone due to shared pockets, that needs to be nipped in the bud.

I understand assassins who Blade of Woe because it gets them the 4th item, but claiming it "resets" the NPCs for other potential pickpockets when other players don't need them to be reset in the first place is misleading. It doesn't benefit any other player, and in fact Blade of Woe can be a massive inconvenience to other players, since thieves with pickpocket routes can lose a lot of time or money either bypassing the dead NPCs or waiting for them to respawn.
    Edited by BlackSparrow on February 1, 2018 7:34PM

My Girls:

• zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are incorrect, I have multiple times gotten 3 items from npc other has been pickpocket multiple times.
    Killing the npc gives you an 4th item and reset npc as you say but will also let others have to wait for npc to respawn.
    Their obvious response would be to move ahead of you and do the same.
  • EvilKSE
    EvilKSE
    Soul Shriven
    You are incorrect, I have multiple times gotten 3 items from npc other has been pickpocket multiple times.
    Killing the npc gives you an 4th item and reset npc as you say but will also let others have to wait for npc to respawn.

The first guy is correct, pockets are shared. If someone picks it before you it will be 2 out of 3 left if they did it once 1 out 3 left if twice and 0 left if they took all 3. People should absolutely kill the npc that they have stolen from as it resets them and their inventory. Just stealing and leaving them to restock their inventory takes a lot longer and is super inefficient. Pick, pick, kill, dont even try for that 3rd pick just kill em
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EvilKSE wrote: »

The first guy is correct, pockets are shared. If someone picks it before you it will be 2 out of 3 left if they did it once 1 out 3 left if twice and 0 left if they took all 3. People should absolutely kill the npc that they have stolen from as it resets them and their inventory. Just stealing and leaving them to restock their inventory takes a lot longer and is super inefficient. Pick, pick, kill, dont even try for that 3rd pick just kill em
    Has you tested this? As in pickpocket some who has been pickpocket by others.

NPC you pickpocket are empty for you but not for others, similar to loot you steal from containers.
    You are correct in that you only get 3 items in any case.

Pick, pick stab has the benefit for you will respawn and you can not try to picpocket an empty npc.
    it has no benefit for others, rater the opposite as they have to wait for npc to respawn.
    Note that unlike loot in containers npc remains empty even after passing an load door like TG hideout.
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did not expect this thread to crop up again!

I'm still pretty sure pockets AREN'T shared. I'm going to see if I have anyone on my friends' list I can test this out with this weekend, to put it to bed.

My Girls:

• BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CONFIRMED: POCKETS ARE NOT SHARED.

Last night, I asked a guildmate to help me confirm this:

We started by picking an easy target (a begger) and confirming that he had 100% chance on white-name for both of us, meaning that, for two maxed out pickpockets, we were both indicating that he had three items.

Pickpocket1.png

Pickpocket3.png

She then pickpocketed him three times until he was empty.

Pickpocket4.png

She confirmed that she got three items from him. Then, I pickpocketed him, and he was still full for me.

Pickpocket2.png

Despite the fact that he was empty for my guildmate, I still got three items.

So, this is conclusive, with picture proof. Pockets are NOT shared. Killing an NPC to "reset" them only benefits you, not anyone else.

My Girls: