The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Should carrying a scroll give you an achievement?

Derbforgaill
Derbforgaill
✭✭✭
I've been playing this game for almost 3 years. And I've been PvPing since I was level 12 or 13. However, yesterday was the first time I carried a scroll! We didn't have any fighting in the way, which was slightly disappointing, but at least that means that my first carry was a success.

Once I deposited the scroll in the temple I could not believe that I did not get an achievement. This game gives you achievements for some really silly things (e.g.: death by a slaughterfish), but it does not give you an achievement for carrying a scroll for the first time? C'mon!

What do you all think, should carrying a scroll successfully give you an achievement?

Should carrying a scroll give you an achievement? 81 votes

Yes
60% 49 votes
No
34% 28 votes
Other
4% 4 votes
  • Sacredx
    Sacredx
    ✭✭✭
    Thorough knowledge of game mechanics and using this to pvp effectively is the biggest achievement of them all. This is what makes people keep coming back to play the game, not some title, rank or achievement.

If you feel like you have done a good job then you have done just that, nothing else should matter.
    PC NA PvP Oceanic
    The Kelly Gang [TKG]
    Highest kill streak: https://i.imgur.com/V6jJhoy.png
    KB sample: https://i.imgur.com/n7TFyZr.png
    TKG raid sample: https://youtube.com/watch?v=RkrsHg3T7pc
  • Derbforgaill
    Derbforgaill
    ✭✭✭
    Sacredx wrote: »
    Thorough knowledge of game mechanics and using this to pvp effectively is the biggest achievement of them all. This is what makes people keep coming back to play the game, not some title, rank or achievement.

If you feel like you have done a good job then you have done just that, nothing else should matter.

While I get the feeling of your message, the truth is the achievements are there for a reason. Humans love to feel rewarded, even for silly things in games. So when you do something that to you feels like a great achievement, and the game chooses to not give you a reward, it can feel a bit disappointing. Am I still happy I did it? Hell yes. But that doesn't mean it would have been even more awesome should I have obtained an achievement...

• Sacredx
    Sacredx
    ✭✭✭
    Lets just say that I would far more enjoy a good game with no achievements. My statement above is real and is irrespective of the game. A personal opinion.
    PC NA PvP Oceanic
    The Kelly Gang [TKG]
    Highest kill streak: https://i.imgur.com/V6jJhoy.png
    KB sample: https://i.imgur.com/n7TFyZr.png
    TKG raid sample: https://youtube.com/watch?v=RkrsHg3T7pc
  • laksikus
    laksikus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    im for an achievment. but its hard to nit make it abusable.

i capped over 50 scrolls. some if them solo some of them with my group. but i only brought about half of them back myself cos i couldnt be bothered to run all the way and dropped it once it was safe in my alliances territory.

so who gets the achievment. the guy that does all the work and picks up the scroll for the first time? the guy that hands it in? thy guy that runs the most way with it?

all of them are exploitable in their own way, so it would be difficult to get a valid achievment for it
  • IndorilArwynLlethran
    A guild or guilds do all the job to open the gates, fight through defence and... one idiot takes the scroll, runs as slow as it ever possible, he doesn't know where to go, he is "first time here", he doesn't drop the scroll being asked for, he ignores zone chat and wispers or only asks for scroll quest share, etc. And he falls from rocks/bridge to lava/Niben river. Or he luckely dies not on Alessia bridge, another player takes the scroll, our precious idiot waits for 15 mnts for someone to rez him, then he finally rezes himself somewhere and starts whining in zone "why did you let me die? why did take my scroll?"

You want tons of this sort of players with every scroll raid? I do not.

PS: and just imagine that lagfest at scroll temples. 2 FPS ;)
    Edited by IndorilArwynLlethran on December 10, 2018 11:10AM
  • efster
    efster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely not. There's already enough scroll trolling; this would have people getting on opposite faction characters to achievement-farm and/or grief (or both). Not to mention even more tryhards in zone crying to go for scrolls when nobody needs or wants them.
    AD is the best looking faction. I don't make the rules, I just enforce them.
  • Ash_In_My_Sujamma
    Ash_In_My_Sujamma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It should give you mild cataract
  • ZarkingFrued
    ZarkingFrued
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course it should
  • Derbforgaill
    Derbforgaill
    ✭✭✭
    laksikus wrote: »
    im for an achievment. but its hard to nit make it abusable.

i capped over 50 scrolls. some if them solo some of them with my group. but i only brought about half of them back myself cos i couldnt be bothered to run all the way and dropped it once it was safe in my alliances territory.

so who gets the achievment. the guy that does all the work and picks up the scroll for the first time? the guy that hands it in? thy guy that runs the most way with it?

all of them are exploitable in their own way, so it would be difficult to get a valid achievment for it

That is true. One way to avoid abuse would be to cap it so that you only get the achievement if you pick up the scroll at the keep and leave it at the temple (for own scrolls) or at another keep (for other alliances scrolls). Furthermore, you could do it a once in a character achievement: successfully re-took a scroll (own) & successfully stole a scroll (other alliance) so that people don't fight for it so much.

We already have the issue of people who barely understand how PvP & scrolls work, so while scroll achievements may exacerbate the issue a bit, I don't think it would get that bad.
  • gepe87
    gepe87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Running around towers with scrolls should give you a achievement as well. And farm ppl with it in AD tower near Mnem Temple too.
    Gepe, Dunmer MagSorc Pact Grand Overlord | Gaepe, Bosmer MagSorc Dominion General

If you see edits on my replies: typos. English isn't my main language
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No. The person running a scroll should be very fast and hopefully also reasonably tanky. Not someone trying to check a checkbox next to an achievement.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd prefer if this game gave fewer achievements so the ones we do have will hold more meaning. My feelings on this are not exclusive to this game but are shared for all games. I greatly disagree with giving "trophies" for doing things that will just plain happen anyway.

Reached level 10! Have an achievement!
    Level 20? Wow, that was a rough 40 minutes, have another!
    Whoa, hold up. You finished Fungal Grotto 1 on normal? Well that's worth an achievement too!
    You clicked "E" on that scroll thingy and walked for a while? Grats!
  • Maryal
    Maryal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO. I've seen too many times where one person gets the scroll and runs it 3/4 of the way to the home keep, drops it intentionally so their friend can pick it up and carry it the rest of the way.

• Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally I don't think it should have an achievement.

Once something becomes an achievement it becomes less about group play and tactics and more about people trying to get said achievement.
    I prefer gameplay where it's about making the best tactical choices such as who is best suited to run a scroll than something where everyone is trying to screw their team mates just to get an achievement.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I assume it ISN'T an achievement to prevent hordes of pugs from beelining it to scrolls "for the achievement" whenever a scroll is in play.

...that being said, it is really quite odd how getting eaten by fish is an achievement, but carrying or returning an elder scroll isn't.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • leeux
    leeux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted no, because taking a scroll is a team effort... so unless you give out the achievement to every person that participated in the scroll run, or scouted ahead, or sacrificed themselves staying to fight to slow down the pursuit, etc., it would be unfair...

I not saying the person carrying it doesn't deserve the reward, because knowing how to run a scroll is important, it's just that him/her by just themselves wouldn't have been able to accomplish the goal at all... unless is a totally dead campaign with no one else defending.
    PC/NA - Proud old member of the Antique Ordinatus Populus

My chars
    Liana Amnell (AD mSorc L50+, ex EP) =x= Lehnnan Klennett (AD mTemplar L50+ Healer/Support ) =x= Ethim Amnell (AD mDK L50+, ex DC)
    Leinwyn Valaene (AD mSorc L50+) =x= Levus Artorias (AD mDK-for-now L50+) =x= Madril Ulessen (AD mNB L50+) =x= Lyra Amnis (AD not-Stamplar-yet L50+)
    I only PvP on AD chars

~~ «And blossoms anew beneath tomorrow's sun >>»
    ~~ «I am forever swimming around, amidst this ocean world we call home... >>»
    ~~ "Let strength be granted so the world might be mended... so the world might be mended."
    ~~ "Slash the silver chain that binds thee to life"
    ~~ Our cries will shrill, the air will moan and crash into the dawn. >>
    ~~ The sands of time were eroded by the river of constant change >>
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. It would make it so even more players who shouldn't carry a scroll pick up the scroll without support or a plan. That already happens too often.
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    zyk wrote: »
    No. It would make it so even more players who shouldn't carry a scroll pick up the scroll without support or a plan. That already happens too often.

This. Achievements are for PvE peasants. As soon as you tag an achievement on scroll carrying, they demand a PvP free scroll.

That, and the above reason.
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • Valen_Byte
    Valen_Byte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Too late, 4/5 years ago this would have been proper but not now.
    ***Dixon Kay MagDK FORMER EMPEROR***Deca Dix MagDK FORMER EMPORER***Valonious MagPlar FORMER EMPEROR***
    GM of BYTE
    MAY YOUR DEATHS BE SWIFT, AND YOUR LOAD SCREENS LONG.
    And alien tears will fill for him, Pity’s long-broken urn, For his mourners will be outcast men, And outcasts always mourn
  • AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make it an achievement, rewarded to all players present at the scroll temple when it’s turned in. Have 1, 10, and 25 scroll caps per achievement tier. Have a matching scroll defense achievement to mitigate scroll swapping abuse.
  • Iskras
    Iskras
    ✭✭✭
    Sure and a outfit :)

PVP need best rewards.
  • Ghostbane
    Ghostbane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »
    No. The person running a scroll should be very fast and hopefully also reasonably tanky. Not someone trying to check a checkbox next to an achievement.

YAR!
    {★★★★★ · ★★★★★ · ★★ · ★★★★★}
    350m+ AP PC - EU
    AD :: Imported Waffles [37]EP :: Wee ee ee ee ee [16]DC :: Ghostbane's DK [16], Impending Loadscreen [12]PC - NA
    AD :: Ghostbane [50], yer ma [43], Sir Humphrey Winterbottom 2.0 [18], robotic baby legs [18]EP :: Wee Mad Arthur [50], avast ye buttcrackz [49], Sir Horace Foghorn [27], Brother Ballbag [24], Scatman John [16]DC :: W T B Waffles [36], Morale Boost [30], W T F Waffles [17], Ghostbanë [15]RIPAD :: Sir Humphrey Winterbottom 1.0 [20]
    Addons
  • Derbforgaill
    Derbforgaill
    ✭✭✭
    Iskras wrote: »

PVP need best rewards.

Or maybe a memento you could activate, that gives you a scroll in your back (differentiable from the real one to avoid confusion). I like it!
  • AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iskras wrote: »

PVP need best rewards.

Or maybe a memento you could activate, that gives you a scroll in your back (differentiable from the real one to avoid confusion). I like it!

You can’t use mementos in pvp
  • Ruckly
    Ruckly
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have run the scroll on two different toons. I did it for my faction not for an achievement. If you add an achievement there will be a line-up to run the scroll. People will start arguing over who should run the scroll when it should be the guy who would normally run it anyways.