The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Do ZOS really care about ESO?

• karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes ZOS cares about the game and fixing problems
    No way. Ever since BFA launched blizzard put their money where they know it to be made. Classic. Look at gearing in BFA? Worst gearing system ever. All the money went to overwatch or hearthstone for that sweet sweet gamble crate cash while their biggest seller and potential money maker WOW was left scrambling. Now were here in WoD 2.0 because the story team doesn't know what they are doing.

Ohh wait wrong game. Sorry gonna copy paste this to a WoW thread about the exact same thing.
  • Defilted
    Defilted
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They care about ESO becasue ESO is making them money and this is the goal of a business. They may not have the same priorities of the people playing the game , but they care.
    XBOX NA
    XBOX Series X

#NightmareBear
  • wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

_Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)
    Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

• blkjag
    blkjag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS only cares about their crown store
    The crown store will help with the fallout 76 lawyers fees
  • Annsivi
    Annsivi
    ✭✭
    The amount of posts on here about ZoS not caring about the game or about fixing issues is ludicrous to me. This game isn't perfect, but neither is any other game. It's going to have issues, and sometimes those issues take a while to fix. I've been playing ESO since 2015 and haven't had half the issues others are reporting because I'm on Xbox, but based on my own personal experience I think ZoS is doing a fantastic job on the communication front. Every issue I've had in this game that I've submitted a ticket for, I've heard back from someone within 24 hours. Even during this last Undaunted event when my game glitched and I didn't receive my Mystery Reward Box at the end of a dungeon they were quick to respond and remedied the issue for me. There was one instance in particular about a year ago where I kept getting stuck in werewolf form, and they corresponded with me for three days via email to keep me updated until they figured out what was wrong and fixed it. So yes, this game has its issues and will never run exactly the way you all want it to, but ZoS is a great team of people who care about the game and our experience.
    XBOX NA: Annsivi
    Officer at Five Tenets Trading and Black Hand Trading

Arael Nightwind | EP Bosmer Nightblade
    Fennorian Ravenwatch | DC Altmer Necromancer
    Zifri Nightwind | AD Bosmer Necromancer

"You should know that great power brings its own sorrows, even for those with the wisdom to wield it." - Sotha Sil
  • Rake
    Rake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Game name is - get rich or die trying
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's not the question I would be asking.

The question I would ask is, "Does ZOS care enough about random online bullies to allow them to fundamentally alter established and negotiated work priority?"

I sure hope not. Give control to a bunch of *** stirrers and you'll generally just wind up with more ***.

Now, I do agree that there could be some more responsiveness to 'rulebook' type inquiries - whether doing something in the game is officially approved or officially disapproved. But for the most part, I feel the team is doing a good job progressing incrementally through actual issues while letting the bored tantrum throwers burn themselves out if the Report button doesn't catch up to them first.
    signing off
  • Neoealth
    Neoealth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No ZOS does not care about the game and fixing problems
    sharquez wrote: »
    More inflammatory threads. Just what this community needs. Look if you are caught in an endless feedback loop of negative energy maybe its time to find something else to do in your spare time. I'm not saying anyone is perfect but there are healthier things to concern yourselves with.

So what you're saying is, only bother to use the forum if you have only glowing positive comments to make? That sounds like a boring pointless echo chamber.

The whole point of a forum is for users to discuss topics. Do you really think discussions or debates thrive if everyone just has the same opinion? And opinions can obviously be positive or negative.

Perhaps this poll could help draw attention to the issue that we want zos to address.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They do care, but they don't know how to fix the problems
    i think they care but, they are ordered to do what their bosses tell them to do.

here is some proof that they do care:
    Update: We do have a (untested) fix for this issue, but we want to make sure we do thorough testing on it first and not rush it into a patch. Our plan is to have this fix included in the next update.

comments like that have been the ongoing theme since beta, no one can deny this.

but, sadly there are many other problems that plague eso.
    when Paul Sage quit eso, they should never have made it public.

Edited by Gilvoth on December 12, 2018 6:14PM
  • Rain_Greyraven
    Rain_Greyraven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You would think "they" (As in corporate) want to care......because they understand that is profitable.

But we live in an age where your'e not just designing a game anymore ,your'e delivering an "important message" that places you on the right side of history!!!!

It's actually laughable, and it's been long established that many of the employees are blatant activist, and they do their level best to inject their authoritative base whenever possible.

Example: Have an opinion other than "Orange man bad" :>| in game and see how long you keep your account. Yet.... you can deliver death threats all day long over trivial things like owning a certain Apex mount . You will get banned on the forums for posting a a gif of a certain President but are allowed to post gifs of other Presidents.

It makes Zenimax look like they are the keepers of Right Think and Wrong think, and if you commit wrong think you will be unperson'd (aka banned)

Zenimax employees needs to leave their activism at home, take their biased politics out of the game (Because we see how well it's working out for companies like EA and Dice) and develop a standard set of rules that enforces respect, actual tolerance, and a commitment to quality content as well as transparency in regards to the direction of the game.

A shining example of this is how Square Enix steers it's FFXI and FFXIV communities.

I have no hope any of that will actually happen, the designers and content writers will double down on the biased direction they are taking the game and the community, and will silence anyone that steps out of line.

Meanwhile they wonder why people buy less on the store and their are fewer people subscribing.

Edited by Rain_Greyraven on December 13, 2018 2:08AM
    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”

― Robert E. Howard

So you want to be a game developer? Here is the best way to go about it.
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neoealth wrote: »
    Do you really think discussions or debates thrive if everyone just has the same opinion? And opinions can obviously be positive or negative.

Discussions and debates only thrive if everyone's playing by the same set of rules.

Some prefer the methodology of Ericson, Murphy, and Zeuschner. Others prefer the more private counsel of Me, Myself, and I.

Example: Have an opinion other than "Orange man bad" in game and see how long you keep your account. Yet.... you can deliver death threats all day long over trivial things like owning a certain Apex mount . You will get banned on the forums for posting a a gif of a certain President but are allowed to post gifs of other Presidents.

Technically, any real-life political discourse is against the Code of Conduct and should be reported as such, but this is an instance where that specific use falls under targeted harassment of a Zenimax Media Inc. member or his or her family. The rule applies regardless of how visible or obvious the connection is.
    signing off
  • Rain_Greyraven
    Rain_Greyraven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Acrolas wrote: »
    Neoealth wrote: »
    Do you really think discussions or debates thrive if everyone just has the same opinion? And opinions can obviously be positive or negative.

Discussions and debates only thrive if everyone's playing by the same set of rules.

Some prefer the methodology of Ericson, Murphy, and Zeuschner. Others prefer the more private counsel of Me, Myself, and I.

Example: Have an opinion other than "Orange man bad" in game and see how long you keep your account. Yet.... you can deliver death threats all day long over trivial things like owning a certain Apex mount . You will get banned on the forums for posting a a gif of a certain President but are allowed to post gifs of other Presidents.

Technically, any real-life political discourse is against the Code of Conduct and should be reported as such, but this is an instance where that specific use falls under targeted harassment of a Zenimax Media Inc. member or his or her family. The rule applies regardless of how visible or obvious the connection is.

That may have been the case in that particular instance, but many of us have seen the exact same thing transpire when a Zenimax employee wasn't involved. As long as they play the semantics card when it suits them and not enforce the real life political discourse rule equally, they are going to be seen as biased.
    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”

― Robert E. Howard

So you want to be a game developer? Here is the best way to go about it.
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    "ZOS" isn't some monolithic personality.

I'm sure the people whose job it is to fix bugs and improve gameplay care about fixing bugs and improving gameplay.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    99 whatever’s and lag ain’t one soured me on the whole game, when right after the patch I’m riddled with ping spikes and disconnects. I may continue to play this game but I REFUSE to monetize it-no more plus, no more crowns. I’m not even claiming the login trash.

They don’t care...
  • eso_lags
    eso_lags
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Other opinion - please state opinion
    Zos doesnt care about pvp, that much is clear. Im sure they care to an extent but fixing issues is not their top priority, or even close, and it seems to me that they are just going to leave cyrodil performance as is until the game goes offline.
  • Swomp23
    Swomp23
    ✭✭✭✭

I wish I could upvote this more than once. Definitely true for ZOS. Although it’s sad to see it’s also true for Apple nowadays....
    XBox One - NA
  • temjiu
    temjiu
    ✭✭✭✭
    I picked other because the whole question is a bit too general. ESO is a gaming company, they produce games. If they didn't care about their game, they wouldn't continue to support it. TLDR at end.

But they're definition of "care" and ours as players differs wildly.

From ESO perspective, there are probably individuals in every department that DO care about the game. and each team itself probably has a global aspect of "caring" Im sure the Dev's care about putting out a quality product that they would want to play themselves. Doesn't mean that they get the authorization or budget to do what they envision, but they probably care.

The Board Probably cares from the perspective of a revenue stream, and whatever increases that stream, they will do. If reducing Lag by spending millions on improving the hardware in their data-centers improved revenue flow enough, they would do it.

Customer service reps probably are a mixed bag as well. Some care, some don't. CSR as a group would probably say they do care...I'm sure many of them like getting paid, and care a great deal about their job continuing. (I do know that CSR is a thankless profession that breeds stress and heart conditions, been there in the past for many years. just pointing out that perceptions differ greatly here).

the player-base has a very different perspective, and even within that, there's probably dozens of fractions of perspectives as to what defines "caring". If you play PvP on a console, you probably think they don't care. If you play solo and casual group content on a PC, you may think they do.

TLDR :
    End result? "Caring" is a broad envelope that you need to define better. And the problem is, there's so many different variations of what really is "Caring" that the poll would be invalid even with that. it would be better to list "reasons" why people feel the company doesn't care. Even then, the whole accusation is inflammatory and confrontational. People say stuff like "you don't care" as a last resort push button in arguments when they don't have anything else to stand on. It's a passive aggressive attack, and more often then not, competently unfounded.

EDIT: not being accusatory here OP, you sound like you are honestly just interested in what people think about the whole caring concept. I just wrote my thoughts down on the concept in general.
    Edited by temjiu on December 13, 2018 12:49AM
  • Atreidus
    Atreidus
    ✭✭✭
    karekiz wrote: »
    No way. Ever since BFA launched blizzard put their money where they know it to be made. Classic. Look at gearing in BFA? Worst gearing system ever. All the money went to overwatch or hearthstone for that sweet sweet gamble crate cash while their biggest seller and potential money maker WOW was left scrambling. Now were here in WoD 2.0 because the story team doesn't know what they are doing.

Ohh wait wrong game. Sorry gonna copy paste this to a WoW thread about the exact same thing.

Dont remind me at the "support " at this WoW.. They dont even repsond in the laguage you had written or from the adress you had posted to.

Here it is like "you report 1 thing, make 1 or 2 threats at the support - forum and it gets fixed(over night even).
    Thats premium - support.
    1 small minus: the lack of responds from officials.

I am refering to the english forum. Since the german one is dead and there still are guys with "drugs" in their names posting here.(insulting names)
    Edited by Atreidus on December 13, 2018 12:55AM
  • Diminish
    Diminish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ATomiX96 wrote: »
    they care about fixing bugs, but they are too tunneled on crown store content.

They aren't though. it's separate teams that do crown store and bug fixes. This is a massive game with billions of lines of code. Stuff happens and breaks. The best example of this comes from Aliens Colonial Marines. The game was ok, but was essentially broken fro about 3 years before they stopped support for it in like 2014. Just this year a modder noticed in the code a single miss spelled word. This one word is why the game was broken as it controlled the AI for the Aliens and how they react. The word was suppose to be Tether, but somebody had typed in Teather. This one typo is responsible, for most of, what was wrong with the game.

So yeah it actually can come down to a single word in all the code that can be breaking the game.

https://za.ign.com/aliens-colonial-marines/122775/news/modder-fixes-aliens-colonial-marines-ai-with-one-simple-codi

If one typo in code breaks your entire application then that is some poorly designed software. Sure, typos suck, and sometimes they can leave you scratching your head for a few minutes, maybe a few hours at most if your design flow is terrible. I'd love to just get a glimpse of the code used in ESO. I bet it looks like the stuff I was writing back in 1999 when I was 16, and trying to teach myself C++.
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They do but take action slowly .

3 months to fix WW savage strength passive in console after Wolfhunter released , best joke of year 2018 .

Don't they shame with it ?
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not think a poll is needed to answer this. ESO is pretty much their only justification to exist ATM, their source of revenue.

However, some aspects of the game sow doubt into effort put into the game which is essentially why OP created this thread.

First and foremost, the pinnacle end game content has seen only mini trials in the last two additions. These clearly require less effort and for less creativity to design than any of the trials that came before them. There has been a clear downward trend since MoL was added.

It is also odd how Zos has yet to acknowledge the in-combat bug added to Cyrodiil in the last major update despite the numerous threads on the subject.

We will see what comes with the next chapter. If the instanced content is solid it will, in part, demonstrate a firm commitment to the continued development of this game. If it is another mini trial or have other signs that lack creativity then they are likely going into managing the game to milk it as best as they can.
  • JinMori
    JinMori
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think some care, but they are not allowed to fix things because that;s not the higher ups agenda, and that agenda is content and crown store.
  • Lumenn
    Lumenn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This of course depends on who you count as Zos. The ones in the trenches working on it day in day out I'm sure care about the product. Unfortunately the higher up the corporate chain the less involved in day to day matters and the more quarterly profits matter. Also unfortunate that they are the ones that call the shots and decide which team gets what funding. Since crown store can show a direct low cost/high profit ratio and maintenance doesn't, guess where funding priorities lie....
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS doesn't care about ESO the game or ESO the MMO. ZOS cares about ESO the money making product. Nothing is sacred except profit to them.

This may be true and logical for most businesses, but it is not the kind of creative product I like to consume or support. I consider the Elder Scrolls IP to be as soulless as a Disney product now.
    Edited by zyk on December 13, 2018 3:31AM
  • BoneShatterer
    BoneShatterer
    ✭✭✭
    ATomiX96 wrote: »
    they care about fixing bugs, but they are too tunneled on crown store content.

Then why do we still have a broken mailbox system after 5 years?
    why do we need so many mods to right the glitches and bugs they never fixed?
    why is pvp server worst than when the game came out?
    why is the only thing thats working properly is the god damn cash shop ?
    why is it that everytime that we points something that isnt woprking via in game ticket we still get blamed or we get told that they care and its never fixed?
    why is it that some quests in alikir are still cross wired with fighters guild quest and get into conflict with each other?
  • xS Foxy
    xS Foxy
    If they do Care they need to proove it more and stop agressive marketing for people who want all motifs for example. And stop diffeer the exit of new motifs...
    Edited by xS Foxy on January 2, 2019 1:47AM
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The Devs care, otherwise corprate can make stupid choices so it seems like ZOS doesn't care
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
  • Onebitsoul
    Onebitsoul
    ✭✭✭
    I think they do want the game to be as good as it can be. Zenimax Media however most likely doesn't give a *** (look at their board of directors).
  • Malborn66
    Malborn66
    ✭✭✭
    To be brutally honest, I have no interest in additional Trials, elite dungeons or similar.
    I am entirely a PvE player.

To me two releases of these are a total non-starter and add nothing to the game as they are 'End Game level content'.

For my money, they could scrap these Dungeon Only DLC releases and spend the resources on fixing bugs.

Malborn
    PC-EU
  • Kalante
    Kalante
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After getting my money back from a scammer the next day I say they do care but the problems eso has like lag and frame rate issues are deeply rooter in the code. An 80gig game I'd say it's pretty much impossible to fix.