The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Major Evasion - Is the sky falling?

brandonv516
brandonv516
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
Before Murkmire there were many who wrote the new buff would kill some classes (Jabs spamming Templars were one concern).

So now that we've had some time with it, what are your thoughts?

My class has the best access to it but I don't slot it on either of my Magblades. Not really sure if it's worth trying to find the slot.
Edited by brandonv516 on December 12, 2018 4:49AM
  • UltimateBias
    No, the new Major Evasion has not killed any class. It has reduced the effectiveness of certain builds against opponents that use Major Evasion, but you can still kill opponents that use that skill; just not as efficiently as before.
    Magicka Templar Build
    PS4
    NA
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It hasn’t killed any builds, but it does directly mitigate a good portion of the damage of jabs and dawnbreaker. So stamplars have a pretty sizable damage loss vs other medium armor users, and stambaldes come out on top because not only do they get to use shuffle, but incap is single target. The gap between stamplar and stambalde 1v1 is pretty high.
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Probably affected Templars more than other classes due to jabs/puncturing sweeps being the main spammable. Would be nice if they would receive a little buff to help make up the loss. Maybe 10% increase.
  • Joosef_Kivikilpi
    Joosef_Kivikilpi
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've noticed considerable survivability when slotting Mirage against Zerg rolling Stamina Wardens spamming Sub Assault with Steel Tornado. Everyone dies around me while I somehow make it out. It is a game changer in that scenario.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^Pretty much decided myself that I would rather have medium and shuffle than heavy with DBOS, Shalks, and Spin to win come around.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I kinda thought most non-NB builds we're dead/dying already...

I see wardens whom use the stun rather than permafrost damage
    I see NB Snipes that deal 10k

I do not see magplar (non-healer)
    I do not see Magden (non-snare)
    I do not see non-Zoo Sorcs

Essentially the only damage dealing class in BGs ATM are NBs.

I do not blame major evasion for this (though it could be indirectly)

BGs are mag tanks that deal little to no damage and NBs that deal massive damage. So yes and no. Many builds are dead - is it because of major evasion? Probably not, but those builds that would be weak to it are already dead.

Stam has plenty of single target bleed damage and snipe and defile ult (whoops I mean NB... Kinda synonymous at this point though...)
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • evoniee
    evoniee
    ✭✭✭✭
    stop lying. any templar > stamina nightblade.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zos devs and class reps recently discussed it. The class reps seem to have received feedback that it has hindered two classes and there is notes on what is suggested.

I have pasted the specific notes on this as well as the link to the class rep meeting notes.
    We changed Evasion to AoE damage reduction from dodge chance. Feedback on this for both PvP and PvE?
    Major Evasion is too strong and counters Templars and Wardens more than other classes
    Minor Evasion feels too weak
    Both are 100% uptime buffs with no drawbacks, counter to the usual design for Major and Minor buffs
    Suggest making Shuffle Minor Evasion, buffing Minor Evasion to 15%, buffing Major Evasion to 30%, and placing Major Evasion on a low uptime, higher cost source

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/449203/class-reps-update-meeting-notes-dec-7/p1

I figure this is required for any real discussion on the matter. There is a little more in the notes.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do prefer the new shuffle though, even considering playing stamplar. It’s less cheesy and more useful strategically. I won’t say that jabs could use a damage buff necessarily. But it wasn’t OP before the shuffle change and now a good portion of the damage is directly mitigated by shuffle which presents a sizeable advantage for any class using shuffle that has single target damage as I said above.
  • SkysOutThizeOut
    SkysOutThizeOut
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Vapirko what it really does is add a variation of balance. Everyone complaining about AOEs in bgs for example. I threw on quick cloak in my light armor set up and that is now the difference between surviving and dying in the AOE meta. AOEs are op and need a form of mitigation especially since they’re not dodgeable. Using major evasion is a sacrifice to something on most classes. And every class needs a weakness.
    Edited by SkysOutThizeOut on December 16, 2018 8:47PM
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im thinking with AOEs like shalks, spin to win, DBOS, and all the ball group stuff; shuffle has made medium useful. Seems just sweeps and jabs which were not considered OP before that are now weaker that I think did not need to be.
    Edited by technohic on December 16, 2018 8:50PM
  • SkysOutThizeOut
    SkysOutThizeOut
    ✭✭✭✭
    @technohic only with people using major evasion. And heavy armor mitigates it inherently. It’s it like people are stacking major evasion with heavy except NBs. Oh btw, I don’t say cleanses need to be nerfed as a mag dk or dot stam dk. Jabs isn’t really that weak. People just don’t build enough damage or pen. And having an AOE that is undodgeable, pulls from stealth, and hits pretty hard against non major evasion opponents all the while having power of the light, I think they’ll be okay. My stun and free whip was taken from my dk and that has been bigger hit to me than the major evasion is to templars and wardens. It’s why we have seen an increase in templars and wardens.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @technohic only with people using major evasion. And heavy armor mitigates it inherently. It’s it like people are stacking major evasion with heavy except NBs. Oh btw, I don’t say cleanses need to be nerfed as a mag dk or dot stam dk. Jabs isn’t really that weak. People just don’t build enough damage or pen. And having an AOE that is undodgeable, pulls from stealth, and hits pretty hard against non major evasion opponents all the while having power of the light, I think they’ll be okay. My stun and free whip was taken from my dk and that has been bigger hit to me than the major evasion is to templars and wardens. It’s why we have seen an increase in templars and wardens.

That's true. Templar in general is not hurting right now in mag or stam; and really neither is warden in PVP really when I think about it.
  • SkysOutThizeOut
    SkysOutThizeOut
    ✭✭✭✭
    @technohic that’s what I ask if I wonder if a class has really gone to ***. Are they being played a lot less? The honest answer is generally a sign of the performance.
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone try stacking with Heartland set?
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It’s powerful, that’s for sure. Lots of people don’t run it right now, usually the people making threads asking for nerfs to steel tornado, sub assault, blockade, or whatever other aoe last killed them.

You sort of can’t blame people for not slotting everything, the skill bar is limited.

Templars don’t need a further buff because of major evasion though. The reason being they were buffed at the same time dodge was changed, and are balanced around major evasion being a thing.
    Edited by Iskiab on February 16, 2019 11:08PM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Ashanne
    Ashanne
    ✭✭✭✭
    imo major evasion needs to be toned a little bit. saying it made medium armor viable is nonesense when its mostly used by heavy armor nightblades with blur/mirage and any1 using blade cloak.
    take magden for example, full aoe sleet storm, deep fissure and (if using that morph) shock clench, this major evasion flat out hurts.
    its kind of ridiculous to gain 25% mitigation to all aoes by a single skill slot. for reference major resolve and ward which are important are only roughly 8% mitigation, granted for both aoe and single target, but still.
  • Ashanne
    Ashanne
    ✭✭✭✭
    medium armor without shuffle, or heavy armor without blade cloak or nightblade without blur is straight up gimping urself. saying u dont have a skill slot is not an arguement as to why 1 skill slot should mitigate 25% of all aoes.
    its common sense.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ashanne wrote: »
    saying it made medium armor viable is nonesense when its mostly used by heavy armor nightblades with blur/mirage and any1 using blade cloak.
    take magden for example, full aoe sleet storm, deep fissure and (if using that morph) shock clench, this major evasion flat out hurts.
    its kind of ridiculous to gain 25% mitigation to all aoes by a single skill slot.

I think the current meta is 5 medium 2 heavy. Yea, there is the option of heavy really if you’re one of those classes, but in practical terms shuffle is the best. You only have so many skill slots. It really is what made medium viable.
    Edited by Iskiab on February 17, 2019 6:31AM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • moosegod
    moosegod
    ✭✭✭
    It feels fine to me. All I know is that I wouldn't be able to survive fights against some magplars if I didn't have major evasion.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After some months of fighting. The only case where this ability is an issue is on a stamplar against a stamina NB running shuffle and Troll King lol. Good luck finishing up that fight. In all other cases it’s fine.
    Edited by Vapirko on February 17, 2019 12:17PM
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its not like its hardcountering like reflects or absorbs for ranged projectiles. ie shimmering shield and wings.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • Skander
    Skander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck killing a heavy armor nightblade that has major evasion with a templar
    I meme, but my memes are so truthful they hurt
    -Elder Nightblades Online
    Want competitive pvp while being outnumbered? Tough luck, the devs clearly said you have to die in those situations
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vapirko wrote: »
    After some months of fighting. The only case where this ability is an issue is on a stamplar against a stamina NB running shuffle and Troll King lol. Good luck finishing up that fight. In all other cases it’s fine.
    Skander wrote: »
    Good luck killing a heavy armor nightblade that has major evasion with a templar

I dont think each hit from the sweep or jab hits that hard to where it is really taking much off. The bigger damage I get from jabs is really my burning light proc which I believe this will not impact.
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vapirko wrote: »
    It hasn’t killed any builds, but it does directly mitigate a good portion of the damage of jabs and dawnbreaker. So stamplars have a pretty sizable damage loss vs other medium armor users, and stambaldes come out on top because not only do they get to use shuffle, but incap is single target. The gap between stamplar and stambalde 1v1 is pretty high.

To me it seems like stamblade is in dire need of nerfs. The gap between stamblade and anything else is high. Not something stamplar specific. Though I agree this was an unneccessary ''stamnb buff'' because 8 times out of 10 if you see a medium armor setup its a stamblade.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on February 18, 2019 4:55AM
  • Toc de Malsvi
    Toc de Malsvi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't noticed templars being any weaker. If anything they hit harder and are more prevalent.
    Legendary Archer of Valenwood
    Bosmer Dragon Knight Archer. XBox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Nightblade Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Sorcerer Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Warden Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Templar's are evil..