The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What's Wrong With Decoupling Character Passives From Race?

• dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I do have an interesting point to make regarding that Phylogeny book. It would appear that ZoS inadvertently (or maybe intentionally) disputed the 'facts' of this book by showing a mixed race family of Nord and Dunmer. You will note that the Nord father had Nord sons with his Dunmer Wife. Interestingly, the 'Nord' sons had a grayer hue to their skin and they had that Bretony pointy eared thing going on and slanted eyes. They still very much looked like a Nord both in bulk, in brow, in jaw, and in other features, nevertheless they also did in fact manifest features of the mother.

This is quite interesting because Racial Phylogeny states that the primary traits revealed in such unions would result in offspring that had the traits of the mother. This is clearly not the case with the family in Stonefalls. I noticed it immediately as someone who always took the time to painstakingly read the stories in the books in game. I try to notice the clues because they were put there for a reason. I don't always remember all of the clues or recognize things.

Interestingly, a friend of mine in game (Teo Amodi) pointed something out about the Summerset expansion that I never realized. The Altmer call unwanted people Nebarra. This is strikingly similar to N'wah used by the Dunmer. I personally think this was intentional and was meant to represent linguistic creep. I like noticing these little details.

You make a fair point @Recremen that the in game texts reveal truths while also making huge mistakes. These 'authors' represent an unreliable narrator. They put us in the mindset of the world in which we are playing. I had always presumed Racial Phylogeny to be true in part because the Breton people always looked so human. A scullery maid who caught the eye of a Direnni lord would have resulted in a child that could never be accepted by Ayleids as an heir. This whole bit of theme fits the narrative of racial phylogeny. I suspect Ayleid mothers would have gotten rid of their children (they were a fairly brutal people after all). At any regard I also think you can glean truths or rather possible truths that the developers are trying to convey. They sprinkle the game with all manner of hints and it is up to the player to consider what fits the world. In a way this is how we try to understand reality where we live and this is in part what makes this unreliable narrator so interesting as we try to dig through the weeds of what is false and what is 'real' in the elder scrolls universe.

One thing is clear to me though in the series: There are some mystical differences between the races and some genetic ones. What that means exactly in a magical fantasy world I do not know. I'm not sure we can use Gregor Mendel's understanding of genetics much less anything more in depth and modern in an elder scrolls world. Lets be clear it is a fictitious world and in order to understand that fiction you have to understand the authors intent. This is made even more complicated by the fact that the authors keep changing. What the game currently is might be viewed as an abomination by its original designer. Maybe those original designers prefer what the lore has become. At any regard the only way we would know is if they were to come out and say, and I suspect that NDA's effect some of what they are able to say. I'm also not sure it would be good if they did. Ultimately though in my own humble opinion I think it is important that the racial differences be included in the game without them marring the possibility of character choice for any race. I know people who wouldn't even play ESO because race was too important. I agree with their sentiment though not as deeply obviously, as I've been playing since the game was in beta.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    laereal wrote: »
    Look i like the lore and all but it's really not practical to tie significant stats and battle effectiveness to certain races in a competitive mmo environment. People who care about that sort of thing will always pick the one that is the most useful for them. It would actually be better if ZOS just let people choose certain sets of passives themselves with the race they want, and then they're free to rp their character through 'natural affinity' and their progression with the game. I would allow one racial passive for each one that would NOT give them a large tactical advantage over other races in trials or pvp like faster swim speed, pickpocket chance, or slight decrease in detection area.

Edit: lol @programcanaan i totally missed your post because of my long delayed response. You can see that i agree with you.

There is no lore argument in favour of racial passives. People making that argument are grasping at straws.

The lore states that certain races are more likely to have a propensity for either magic or physical combat, but that's it. It doesn't state that Redguards cannot be mages and that High Elves can't be warriors. Otherwise, we wouldn't have Nord and Imperial mages (Shalidor and Abnur Tharn), Breton warriors (Lion Guard), or Dunmer assassins (Morag Tong).
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on December 9, 2018 3:08AM
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glurin wrote: »
    I was looking at another of one of those...polls, this one about some talk of upcoming "rebalancing" of racial passives.

Can we just STOP tying character passives to RACE?

Nope.

The passives are what define the race.

Racial profiling is bad :wink:

Not when it's applied to actual races that actually do have innate strengths and weaknesses.

*** sapiens do not have different "races". That concept has been thoroughly debunked by scientists who have literally mapped the human-genome. In other words: there isn't enough distinguishing traits between different ethnicities to be considered different races. A black-skinned man living in the United States has just as many genetic similarities and differences with a white-skinned man living in Norway that he does with someone living in Africa. So that's why it's bad to do it in humans. Because it's not real and just an invention by society.

But in this context - these are elves and orcs we are talking about, actual - different - races. Think of it like different breeds of animals that actually do have different physical and personality traits and are significantly different from one another genetically.
    Edited by Jeremy on December 9, 2018 3:26AM
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Look i like the lore and all but it's really not practical to tie significant stats and battle effectiveness to certain races in a competitive mmo environment. People who care about that sort of thing will always pick the one that is the most useful for them. It would actually be better if ZOS just let people choose certain sets of passives themselves with the race they want, and then they're free to rp their character through 'natural affinity' and their progression with the game. I would allow one racial passive for each one that would NOT give them a large tactical advantage over other races in trials or pvp like faster swim speed, pickpocket chance, or slight decrease in detection area.

Edit: lol @programcanaan i totally missed your post because of my long delayed response. You can see that i agree with you.

There is no lore argument in favour of racial passives. People making that argument are grasping at straws.

The lore states that certain races are more likely to have a propensity for either magic or physical combat, but that's it. It doesn't state that Redguards cannot be mages and that High Elves can't be warriors. Otherwise, we wouldn't have Nord and Imperial mages (Shalidor and Abnur Tharn), Breton warriors (Lion Guard), or Dunmer assassins (Morag Tong).

Uh, nobody ever said the lore states Redguards can't be mages or Altmer can't be warriors. In fact we've all been arguing the exact opposite.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Uh, nobody ever said the lore states Redguards can't be mages or Altmer can't be warriors. In fact we've all been arguing the exact opposite.

But that's exactly what racial passives imply.

Shalidor and Abnur Tharn are/were among the strongest mages alive.

The Lion Guard are one of the most prestigious military guards in Tamriel.

The Morag Tong are arguably the most feared assassin cult in existence.

There would be no way to reach those heights if these races were collectively limited by their genetics. Clearly, Nords and Imperials can become gifted mages of the same stature as High Elves and Dark Elves. Clearly Bretons and Dark Elves can become gifted warriors and assassins of the same stature as Redguards and Khajiit. There is nothing innate that limits individuals in a race from becoming either expert mages or warriors. Your player character is an individual that makes a choice to become either a mage or a warrior. There should be nothing to limit them from reaching optimal performance in either role.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on December 9, 2018 4:37AM
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There would be no way to reach those heights if these races were collectively limited by their genetics. Clearly, Nords and Imperials can become gifted mages of the same stature as High Elves and Dark Elves. Clearly Bretons and Dark Elves can become gifted warriors and assassins of the same stature as Redguards and Khajiit.

Eh, I don't know what y'all are arguing on and about. I've played TES since Arena landed. And when I make a girl she tells me who she is and what she is. This is not in any way different in ESO (I mean for me specifically).

Mostly.... my girls have always been "not the meta". Because y'know.... sucking the meta is seriously - unfun, and stupid.
    Edited by Sylvermynx on December 9, 2018 4:39AM
  • Salvas_Aren
    Salvas_Aren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    These outstanding individuals are just a few. The mass is probably stuck to the typical roles.

Now the stats of an extraordinary hero, be it dexterity, muscle power in terms of force and speed, intelligence, wisdom, reason, etc. would be cause and consequence of such a commitment, at the same time.

How would this be solved ingame? Roll 20 sided dices? We all know that some people would roll the dice day and night for the last % to reach meta. The rest would still complain.

I did not pay that much attention, but did someone bring the vampire argument?

Why would one create a char with Altmer stats and Nord optics? Vampires can't have undead stats and mortal optics either. Visual nerfs for everyone. /s

7bCF.gif
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

No, not even a little bit.

The racial passive that gives Redguards extra stamina means.........Redguards have extra stamina. :|

They can be mages. Nothing is preventing them from being mages. Nothing is preventing them from being good mages. Not one iota of lore or gameplay mechanics says they can't be mages.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The racial passive that gives Redguards extra stamina means.........Redguards have extra stamina. :|

They can be mages. Nothing is preventing them from being mages. Nothing is preventing them from being good mages. Not one iota of lore or gameplay mechanics says they can't be mages.

It's keeping them from being as powerful as High Elf mages.

We see in the lore that plenty of non-elven races can reach the same heights of magical prowess as elves. This is simply not possible within ESO due to racial passives.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on December 9, 2018 5:32AM
  • Nebthet78
    Nebthet78
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sylvermynx wrote: »

There would be no way to reach those heights if these races were collectively limited by their genetics. Clearly, Nords and Imperials can become gifted mages of the same stature as High Elves and Dark Elves. Clearly Bretons and Dark Elves can become gifted warriors and assassins of the same stature as Redguards and Khajiit.

Eh, I don't know what y'all are arguing on and about. I've played TES since Arena landed. And when I make a girl she tells me who she is and what she is. This is not in any way different in ESO (I mean for me specifically).

Mostly.... my girls have always been "not the meta". Because y'know.... sucking the meta is seriously - unfun, and stupid.

I think that is the base of the issue with a lot of this. The Meta people are forced to play in order to be competative. An issue that wasn't nearly as bad when we had Soft Caps. Because once we went over a certain metric, we could use different armors, foods, or change our stats to compensate. The fact they took that away and introduced CP without any thought to bringing back caps I think is the problem and has been for a long time.

You can't have an MMO based on an RPG game without soft caps to compensate for those differences. Not if you want to remain loyal and true to the Lore of the Game.

I miss the days of my Hybrid Nightblade Tank and my Nord Healer. They were really fun to play and I was able to do All Vet content on them until the wide sweeping nerfs happened and my Dps, Regen and Fun went down the toilet like a bad bout of diahria.
    Yes, there will be a group of people in this game who will likely want to leave if they bring back soft caps. But you really have to question the real reason why? A lot of those players are the ones who don't like playing on an even playing field with other players and like to lord themselves over others. I say let them go... and over the next six months, lets see how may of them trickle back in.

We need to bring the diversity back to this game. Fiddling with racial passives isn't going to do it. All that is going to accomplish is to take the Elder Scrolls Lore further out of the game and create an even more dumbed down system that makes Meta even worse than it is now. At that point, let's just stop calling it an Elder Scrolls game.

Part of a role playing game is to overcome your "racials" to excel at the roll you want to do. The unfortunate thing is, is that ZOS changed how that system works. They took away the caps and brought in the CP system, but didn't think out the repurcussions of their actions (allowing players to grind out 3000cp). And in their attempt to fix that, they again didn't fully think through the consequences and how people were playign the game. That is when the Meta came in and became mandatory and DPS went through the roof. Because they didn't bring back the soft caps, when they capped the CP trees. That's when you could no longer work around your racial passives and be able to play your Orc Mage, or Nord Healer, or Hybrid character in end game.

I have a feeling that ZOS combat team thinks, that by keeping the Meta in play in this game, that this is going to keep the 1% who do end game trials continuing to do the content. But they are failing to admit, that by keeping the Meta in play and changing, they are locking out the other portion of the 99% game population from attempting end game content because they can't do it, playing the characters the way the want to play them, due to the very design of the Trials.

At some point, players smarten up and learn to stop chasing the carrot, especially when it changes so frequently.

This game is over 5years old now (if you include Beta). The Combat team shouldn't be wasting time on fixing combat this late in the game. Things should be working and balanced for the most part by now, and their concentration should be working new and more intersting combat systems as part of future content, like new skill lines and abilities. AND fixing the multitude of bugs that need repairing in combat. Not reworking old systems.
    Far too many characters to list any more.
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

We see in the lore that plenty of non-elven races can reach the same heights of magical prowess as elves. This is simply not possible within ESO due to racial passives.

If by that you exclusively mean the potential mathematical limits in leaderboard numbers then yeah. You'd have to make the races completely meaningless to get past that. You'd also have to get rid of classes and gear sets and builds and any other variations in character stats. Basically you'd have to strip ESO of everything, well, Elder Scrolls.

Outside of the absolute top slots on leaderboards though, your argument falls completely flat. Practically speaking, nobody is going to notice or care that an Altmer mage does 100 more DPS than a Reguard mage with everything except their passives being identical. You think that Altmer is really going to lord it over everyone else that his fireball burned that zombie into a pile of ash just slightly hotter than their fireballs burned their zombies into piles of ash? (Actually, come to think of it, an Altmer probably would do that. :p ) Better question, do you think anyone is actually going to be impressed by it?

Again, nothing is preventing you from being a powerful Redguard mage. Nothing except your own obsession with mathematical perfection anyway.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If by that you exclusively mean the potential mathematical limits in leaderboard numbers then yeah. You'd have to make the races completely meaningless to get past that. You'd also have to get rid of classes and gear sets and builds and any other variations in character stats. Basically you'd have to strip ESO of everything, well, Elder Scrolls.

Outside of the absolute top slots on leaderboards though, your argument falls completely flat. Practically speaking, nobody is going to notice or care that an Altmer mage does 100 more DPS than a Reguard mage with everything except their passives being identical. You think that Altmer is really going to lord it over everyone else that his fireball burned that zombie into a pile of ash just slightly hotter than their fireballs burned their zombies into piles of ash? (Actually, come to think of it, an Altmer probably would do that. :p ) Better question, do you think anyone is actually going to be impressed by it?

Again, nothing is preventing you from being a powerful Redguard mage. Nothing except your own obsession with mathematical perfection anyway.

1. Why would you get rid of gear? Any race can wear any gear. No player is limited in their choice of gear. And many argue for the removal of classes since they don't have a place in the TES universe.

2. Racial passives have a significant impact on performance. The +10% max magicka that "magicka races" receive can add 4k magicka to your character, or in other words, around 400 effective spell damage (1000 magicka = ~95 effective spell damage). That adds several thousand points of DPS, not "100", while also improving sustain by allowing for more spell casts. This is something that both a noob and a vet will find valuable.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on December 9, 2018 6:10AM
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

1. Why would you get rid of gear? Any race can wear any gear. No player is limited in their choice of gear. And many argue for the removal of classes since they don't have a place in the TES universe.

2. Racial passives have a significant impact on performance. The +10% max magicka that "magicka races" receive can add 4k magicka to your character, or in other words, around 400 effective spell damage (1000 magicka = ~95 effective spell damage). That adds several thousand points of DPS, not "100", while also improving sustain by allowing for more spell casts. This is something that both a noob and a vet will find valuable.

1. Because set x performs 3% better than set y.

2. Which is something that the devs are looking at right now. That doesn't mean they need to go away or that their existance is in any way preventing you from being a Reguard mage.
  • Ruckly
    Ruckly
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morrowind has different racial passives.

Oblivion has different racial passives.

Skyrim has different racial passives.

Behold Elder Scrolls Online has different racial passives.

If you need the absolute best re-roll. That is how rpgs work. That is how Elder Scrolls works. If you want the optimal race for what you are doing then pick that race. I have never had to re-roll I like my racial passives as they are. And the reason for this is it being an rpg I plan things out ahead of time so I don't run into these difficulties. If I see at level 20 it's not going to work I re-roll until I get it right. Elder Scrolls on the highest difficulty is supposed to be difficult. And racial passives only become relevant on the highest difficulty. If you have the wrong racial passives and you can't complete the hardest content then maybe the highest difficulty is too difficult for you. Maybe you should play at one or two difficulty settings lower.

And there is a transmutation to make your character look however you want the ugly race argument doesn't...some quote by Nietzsche...that doesn't hold water.

Something I can't plan out ahead of time is a change to my racial passives which define my character because it is an Elder Scrolls game and why would that ever happen in an Elder Scrolls game?
    Edited by Ruckly on December 9, 2018 7:12AM
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ruckly wrote: »

If you need the absolute best re-roll. That is how rpgs work. That is how Elder Scrolls works. If you want the optimal race for what you are doing then pick that race. I have never had to re-roll I like my racial passives as they are. And the reason for this is it being an rpg I plan things out ahead of time so I don't run into these difficulties. If I see at level 20 it's not going to work I re-roll until I get it right. Elder Scrolls on the highest difficulty is supposed to be difficult. And racial passives only become relevant on the highest difficulty. If you have the wrong racial passives and you can't complete the hardest content then maybe the highest difficulty is too difficult for you. Maybe you should play at one or two difficulty settings lower.

And there is a transmutation to make your character look however you want the ugly race argument doesn't...some quote by Nietzsche...that doesn't hold water.

Something I can't plan out ahead of time is a change to my racial passives which define my character because it is an Elder Scrolls game and why would that ever happen in an Elder Scrolls game?

I feel like I have to counter this argument at least once a year, particularly giving actual history in this game. The Racial passives have changed for some races in such a way that they have at times fundamentally changed what that race and build was good for and good at. I like to bring up the Khajiit Magician specifically because the change to the definition of what a weapon crit is fundamentally changed the Khajiit build. Add in the fact that there were soft caps and Khajiit mages were actually reasonable builds at one point. If you are relying on building your character based on what the passives are like at the time of character generation you are woefully mistaken. I could also make other examples such as how my Imperial use to get hordes of HP by dropping caltrops on mobs, or volleys, etc. They didn't like this and so they changed the definitions behind Red Diamond, and voila Red Diamond became one of the biggest pile of *** passives you can have. Thanks ZoS, I'm glad I overpaid for a race. I could also cite multiple Argonian rewrites and other changes but I'm going to stop there. Your notion that we the players should have to pay for a character race change token every time ZoS plays havoc on racial passives is preposterous. I suspect you haven't thought this issue through though.

I personally think the way forward (as I always have) is to make the racials less important. Before the CP system was released I was suggesting they put some core soft caps on things and that all the stars in the CP system could replicate racial passives. Voila. A dunmer fire resistance would start off higher but ultimately anyone could give a dunmer a run for their money in fire resistance if they TRAINED in it through serious mystical focus (points in the CP system). The same could have been said for any other little twist of the dial on a character. This was my recommendation and clearly they had no interest in that. Perhaps it was for the best that they didn't, maybe they should have. At this point though there are other paths they could take offered by many other players. There is no shortage of ideas here as I've seen this topic come up over and over. Perhaps this is why I'm getting weary of it. I think most players could be made happy with the right (balanced) rules system. Instead of insulting one another and bickering over petty details of whether or not alleles even exist in Elder Scrolls, why don't we talk about something productive like how to accomplish the end goal? I think we could rally around that most likely.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Riverlynn
    Riverlynn
    ✭✭✭✭

How about going down the road where all the races have the same potential, but some races take a longer/harder route to achieve it?

For example, sorcery comes very naturally for a High Elf, but not so much for a Nord. I can achieve the same level of passive bonus' for my Nord if I choose to, but it will take me much, much longer. Or I can choose the easier route, and just roll a High Elf.

All the racial passives are still there, but you can achieve other/different ones over time with a bit (or a lot) of effort.

Just a thought.
    My accountant told me to invest my money in bonds. So I bought 100 copies of Goldfinger.

Unicorns and cannonballs, palaces and piers
    Trumpets, towers and tenements, wide oceans full of tears.
    Flags, rags ferryboats, scimitars and scarves
    Every precious dream and vision, underneath the stars.
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Riverlynn wrote: »
    How about going down the road where all the races have the same potential, but some races take a longer/harder route to achieve it?

For example, sorcery comes very naturally for a High Elf, but not so much for a Nord. I can achieve the same level of passive bonus' for my Nord if I choose to, but it will take me much, much longer. Or I can choose the easier route, and just roll a High Elf.

All the racial passives are still there, but you can achieve other/different ones over time with a bit (or a lot) of effort.

Just a thought.

I like this mindset. It is closer to the gameplay of previous games.
    <And plenty more>
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not fully convinced of the storytelling perspective you stated regarding the underdog always getting extolled in culture...
    Not -always- but unexpected outcomes makes for stories that get remembered more then the expected outcome - underdog or not, though that one is an easy way to make a memorable story by having someone overcome odds that seem impossible...
    Like I said, you wouldn't get many stories of dragons killing various knights, because that sort of is expected... but the knight that kills the dragon instead, that story is remembered. You won't find many stories of people getting lost at sea and dying, but the one who got lost at sea through divine mischief and still managed to find his way back to his wife just in time to fend off the suitors trying to force her into marrying them (with his bow), that story is remembered. You won't find many stories about thieves getting their hands chopped off and rotting in the dungeons, but the story about the one thief who managed to attain fame and glory with the help of a bottled djinni, that one gets remembered.

And so on... the stories about the expected outcome are background noise, soon forgotten because "eh, what did you expect?" - but the stories with an unexpected outcome, those are more memorable. And the stories about the underdog winning, well, that appeals to many more people then other kinds, because the majority of people have always been the "underdogs" in any given society - imagine middle ages, population ratio of commoners (aka, the underdogs) to nobles... or today, ratio of the "common man" to the super-rich.

So if you want a story about an "top dog winning" to be memorable, you may want to pit them against forces even they usually could not win against, throw them into settings where they are the underdog -despite- their usual advantages, or make them leave their privilege behind and "join" the underdogs in some way.
    Batman, Iron Man, Green Arrow, Black Panther - they are a priviledged characters from a "normal" point of view, but they -are- the underdogs in a superhero setting where they fight an uphill battle against foes with actual superpowers (and the more outclassed they look at first, the better their eventual victory tastes; not because it was unexpected, but because the way they managed was). Leia Organa is a privileged princess, but she is both championing the "common people" and unafraid to give up everything for her cause, and fighting an enemy where all her wealth and status cannot really help her. Robin of Locksley may or may not have been saxon nobility (depending on the story), but he definitely lost all that before he became famour as the hooded bandit of sherwood forest, fighting with and for the downtrodden, etc.

And you are right in saying the "outsider" makes for a jarring archetype, and often end up the bad guys in many stories... the loner mad scientist who creates monsters/does unethical experiments, the strange foreign visitor who is secretly a spy/villain/vampire, the unmarried lady living alone in the woods who definitely must be a witch/wierdo, the dubious guy living in the lone tower/house/appartment/mobile home who is most likely plotting something nefarious...
    ...stories to encourage a "we versus them" mindset have been quite common in history after all. Less so in modern times, tho the "outsider" is -still- often a wierdo at the very least (which is kinda discriminating against the less socially inclined, just saying...), unless they use that archetype to explain their setting by making him/her ask the question everyone would know in that world, but the reader would not...

Of course, who the outsider is depends on who writes the story! And from the perspective of the "outsiders" people, a story of the brave explorer going to a different culture (and all too often showing those "primitives" how great "our" culture is by solving issues they never managed to get a grip on through the outside perspective and "wisdom" of their "superior" culture - while often beating them at their own game, think of all the tales of the white guy learning something associated with the host culture until he beats the natives at it - so many stories catering to the "we are the greatest!" ego trip... some sadly take it too far by also depicting any "natives" in an rather unfavorable light) makes for something memorable again!

Gods, I got pretty sidetracked there, rambling out about stories, huh? ;) Okay, okay, I'll stop now and go back to talking about racial passives, tho I guess I already said everything there is to say aboutt hat matter...
    How about going down the road where all the races have the same potential, but some races take a longer/harder route to achieve it?...
    That's how it used to be!

In elder scrolls games of days past, where there was a cap on ability scores, and some races just got a leg up towards it. Like, everyone could reach 100 intelligence, Altmer and bretons just got +10 from the start as part of their racial package; and so on.

And I would really love to see the ESO system go back towards something like that!
    its why I try to come up with ideas along those lines... ;)
    Edited by TheShadowScout on December 9, 2018 9:01AM
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

2. Which is something that the devs are looking at right now. That doesn't mean they need to go away or that their existance is in any way preventing you from being a Reguard mage.

1. But everyone can wear set X and Y, so your point is moot.

2. Again, these passives prevent a Redguard from being as powerful a mage as a High Elf
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on December 9, 2018 8:59AM
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

1. But everyone can wear set X and Y, so your point is moot.

2. Again, these passives prevent a Redguard from being as powerful a mage as a High Elf

1. Not really. What if I want to wear set y? Or z? Or a-w? I can't be top guy on the totem pole unless I wear set x, so I can't play my Altmer that prefers some other set. Therefore, all sets except for x must be removed from the game. That's what you're trying to argue with racial passives.

2. Only when you obsess over the numbers. We've been over this. A Redguard mage can be just as powerful as an Altmer mage until you get so nit picky with the damage meter that any and all RP value goes right out the window. At that point, what do you care whether your character is an Altmer or a Redguard or anything else? All you're interested in is meta.
    Edited by Glurin on December 9, 2018 9:51AM
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    How about going down the road where all the races have the same potential, but some races take a longer/harder route to achieve it?...

In elder scrolls games of days past, where there was a cap on ability scores, and some races just got a leg up towards it. Like, everyone could reach 100 intelligence, Altmer and bretons just got +10 from the start as part of their racial package; and so on.

And I would really love to see the ESO system go back towards something like that!

Well, just to be a little bit more accurate, that wasn't all they got. For example, in Oblivion and Morrowind the starting stats were also different between genders within each race, which added a touch more realism but these days would probably just *** off the noise makers to no end. In addition, each race had skill bonuses, resistances, and powers.

Just sayin, there was more to it than a mere leg up on stat development.
    Edited by Glurin on December 9, 2018 12:05PM
  • Ruckly
    Ruckly
    ✭✭✭✭

I feel like I have to counter this argument at least once a year, particularly giving actual history in this game. The Racial passives have changed for some races in such a way that they have at times fundamentally changed what that race and build was good for and good at. I like to bring up the Khajiit Magician specifically because the change to the definition of what a weapon crit is fundamentally changed the Khajiit build. Add in the fact that there were soft caps and Khajiit mages were actually reasonable builds at one point. If you are relying on building your character based on what the passives are like at the time of character generation you are woefully mistaken. I could also make other examples such as how my Imperial use to get hordes of HP by dropping caltrops on mobs, or volleys, etc. They didn't like this and so they changed the definitions behind Red Diamond, and voila Red Diamond became one of the biggest pile of *** passives you can have. Thanks ZoS, I'm glad I overpaid for a race. I could also cite multiple Argonian rewrites and other changes but I'm going to stop there. Your notion that we the players should have to pay for a character race change token every time ZoS plays havoc on racial passives is preposterous. I suspect you haven't thought this issue through though.

I personally think the way forward (as I always have) is to make the racials less important. Before the CP system was released I was suggesting they put some core soft caps on things and that all the stars in the CP system could replicate racial passives. Voila. A dunmer fire resistance would start off higher but ultimately anyone could give a dunmer a run for their money in fire resistance if they TRAINED in it through serious mystical focus (points in the CP system). The same could have been said for any other little twist of the dial on a character. This was my recommendation and clearly they had no interest in that. Perhaps it was for the best that they didn't, maybe they should have. At this point though there are other paths they could take offered by many other players. There is no shortage of ideas here as I've seen this topic come up over and over. Perhaps this is why I'm getting weary of it. I think most players could be made happy with the right (balanced) rules system. Instead of insulting one another and bickering over petty details of whether or not alleles even exist in Elder Scrolls, why don't we talk about something productive like how to accomplish the end goal? I think we could rally around that most likely.

The racial passives might have changed but that doesn't mean they should change. Universalizing everything is ridiculous. Maybe at release it would have made sense. Now we have classes and races. Racial passives should remain as they are. If they do then you would not need a race change token if you planned ahead.

To put in very simply: going forward racial passives should in no way change.

Note: above argument is a rebuttal of making everything the same. My main argument is as above stated this is not my main argument.
    Edited by Ruckly on December 9, 2018 9:20PM
  • Oberstein
    Oberstein
    ✭✭✭
    Racial passives can be changed if there is some nuclear war happened and all races mutating to something else. Otherwise bad decision.
    History, like a human being, is thirsty when it wakes from its slumber…History wants to drink up an enormous amount of blood. And even if history has tired of drinking blood, that’s only in regards to the amount. But what about quality? The larger the sacrifice is, the more delighted the cruel gods will be.
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I am not fully convinced of the storytelling perspective you stated regarding the underdog always getting extolled in culture...
    Not -always- but unexpected outcomes makes for stories that get remembered more then the expected outcome - underdog or not, though that one is an easy way to make a memorable story by having someone overcome odds that seem impossible...
    Like I said, you wouldn't get many stories of dragons killing various knights, because that sort of is expected... but the knight that kills the dragon instead, that story is remembered. You won't find many stories of people getting lost at sea and dying, but the one who got lost at sea through divine mischief and still managed to find his way back to his wife just in time to fend off the suitors trying to force her into marrying them (with his bow), that story is remembered. You won't find many stories about thieves getting their hands chopped off and rotting in the dungeons, but the story about the one thief who managed to attain fame and glory with the help of a bottled djinni, that one gets remembered.

And so on... the stories about the expected outcome are background noise, soon forgotten because "eh, what did you expect?" - but the stories with an unexpected outcome, those are more memorable. And the stories about the underdog winning, well, that appeals to many more people then other kinds, because the majority of people have always been the "underdogs" in any given society - imagine middle ages, population ratio of commoners (aka, the underdogs) to nobles... or today, ratio of the "common man" to the super-rich.

So if you want a story about an "top dog winning" to be memorable, you may want to pit them against forces even they usually could not win against, throw them into settings where they are the underdog -despite- their usual advantages, or make them leave their privilege behind and "join" the underdogs in some way.
    Batman, Iron Man, Green Arrow, Black Panther - they are a priviledged characters from a "normal" point of view, but they -are- the underdogs in a superhero setting where they fight an uphill battle against foes with actual superpowers (and the more outclassed they look at first, the better their eventual victory tastes; not because it was unexpected, but because the way they managed was). Leia Organa is a privileged princess, but she is both championing the "common people" and unafraid to give up everything for her cause, and fighting an enemy where all her wealth and status cannot really help her. Robin of Locksley may or may not have been saxon nobility (depending on the story), but he definitely lost all that before he became famour as the hooded bandit of sherwood forest, fighting with and for the downtrodden, etc.

And you are right in saying the "outsider" makes for a jarring archetype, and often end up the bad guys in many stories... the loner mad scientist who creates monsters/does unethical experiments, the strange foreign visitor who is secretly a spy/villain/vampire, the unmarried lady living alone in the woods who definitely must be a witch/wierdo, the dubious guy living in the lone tower/house/appartment/mobile home who is most likely plotting something nefarious...
    ...stories to encourage a "we versus them" mindset have been quite common in history after all. Less so in modern times, tho the "outsider" is -still- often a wierdo at the very least (which is kinda discriminating against the less socially inclined, just saying...), unless they use that archetype to explain their setting by making him/her ask the question everyone would know in that world, but the reader would not...

Of course, who the outsider is depends on who writes the story! And from the perspective of the "outsiders" people, a story of the brave explorer going to a different culture (and all too often showing those "primitives" how great "our" culture is by solving issues they never managed to get a grip on through the outside perspective and "wisdom" of their "superior" culture - while often beating them at their own game, think of all the tales of the white guy learning something associated with the host culture until he beats the natives at it - so many stories catering to the "we are the greatest!" ego trip... some sadly take it too far by also depicting any "natives" in an rather unfavorable light) makes for something memorable again!

Gods, I got pretty sidetracked there, rambling out about stories, huh? ;) Okay, okay, I'll stop now and go back to talking about racial passives, tho I guess I already said everything there is to say aboutt hat matter...

I actually agree with your point on the whole. I'm simply suggesting that some cultures are trained to stifle out things that don't fit their orthodoxy and will find ways to remix the story to suit their orthodoxy. Maybe that epic altmer warrior wasn't really 100% Altmer. Perhaps his mother was a Nord and that's why his skin wasn't yellow enough. Perhaps he dabbled in the dark arts of the Daedra or serves Malacath. In fact I somewhat suspect when the ESO world that a non-Banana Altmer is looked down upon as lesser precisely for having some of those features of 'lesser' creatures. This is the kind of thinking that I expect from a culture that can't accept the underdog as reality (and I'm only suggesting there are some cultures like this). In the end though the Truth often does win out.
    Edited by dodgehopper_ESO on December 9, 2018 10:18PM
    <And plenty more>
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

The racial passives might have changed but that doesn't mean they should change. Universalizing everything is ridiculous. Maybe at release it would have made sense. Now we have classes and races. Racial passives should remain as they are. If they do then you would not need a race change token if you planned ahead.

To put in very simply: going forward racial passives should in no way change.

Note: above argument is a rebuttal of making everything the same. My main argument is as above stated this is not my main argument.

I've personally had multiple character builds change because of race change passive adjustments by the developers. You are writing as though the inevitable will not come. They are going to change the racial passives yet again. I'm hopeful they do it in such a way as to avoid something that upends the apple cart or balances the game more in line with the way Elder Scrolls games use to be.
    <And plenty more>
  • alanmatillab16_ESO
    alanmatillab16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should leave passives where they are. If we select from a group of passives at character creation the minimaxers will soon theorycraft the optimum selection and we will see whine threads on the forums about how X passive is OP and Y passive is useless and how passives should just be removed altogether since we "always use the same ones".

So what if a Redguard Mage does 1 or 2 % less DPS than a High Elf mage with the same abilities and gear.

Get your heads out of the damage meters and play the damned game. If it matters to you that much then roll a High Elf.

Races have had passives ever since TES:Daggerfall there is no reason to change that now into a cherry pick system.
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Recremen wrote: »
    Sorry but as already stated, interbreeding is not evolution.
    Sure is.
    Well, part of it anyhow.
    Interbreeding happens, new traits are formed, if they perform better then the old trait, natural selection will favor them and the race evolves into the new direction, and if they don't perform better, the new strain dies out (unless someone interferes, like frigging dog breeders turning near-wolves into pugs and whatnot - though I guess that's just un-natural selection in the end)

Okay yeah you clearly have no idea what you are talking about and no authority to speak when it comes to evolution. Interbreeding between two species is literally definitionally not viable. A species is a group of organisms that can mate to produce viable, fertile offspring. You cannot have two different species interbreed and produce "new traits" as their offspring, by definition, are not fertile and cannot pass on those traits. You can't just make up new evolutionary concepts to try and make them fit into elder scrolls lore. You've gone past unconvincing and leaped straight into the pit of "making *** up".
    True. From our point of view. It seems to me the text indicates that the people back then had a somewhat different view about what "human" means, and the bretons were perhaps not quite fitting. Maybe not big enough? Maybe not burly enough? Maybe not hairy enough? We will never know, but all those have been used at times to denounce other humans as "different"...

That's quite the unsupported speculation. We don't have any indication that their perception of human has changed over time, especially since this Nedic population also came from Atmora and, presumably, was known to them. It's said that the attacking Nords reasoned the Bretons were descendants of the lost Nedic tribe, so it's pretty clear they knew they existed. And as discussed, other accounts (and their modern appearance) suggest that Bertons had not changed their appearance from the initial Nedic population. It is therefore more likely that this lorebook is not giving an honest account of that particular engagement, or that the original histories it would have been based off were inaccurate. If we instead choose to believe this account over other sources, we have to somehow explain why Bretons DO look human, and there isn't anything to go on for that.
    THANK YOU!
    That is -just- what I kept saying!
    Thet the "lore accounts" you use to prop up your hypothesis are as faulty as anything else. One says they kept their nedic appearance, the other says they changed until they were hardly recogizable by their non-changed human cousins.

So, what now? Did they change, or not?
    You may ignore half the lore and say they did not.
    I keep with they did, as it makes more logical sense after interbreeding with the direnni until they get called "manmer"

I'm not "ignoring half the lore", why lie? I've offered my explanation and it's a lot better and well-supported than your hot mess of contrarian and self-contradictory statements. Bretons look very clearly human, so unless you want to argue that they went through yet another change (and at that point, using your own argument, why would they still call themselves Bretons?). Your argument should at least be internally consistent, but you seem to just want to pick things I say and arbitrarily argue the opposite, regardless of how ridiculous a position it is.
    ...not my insistance, part of the lore. You know, the one from the in-game lorebooks you so heavily depend on, or does that only count for thise bits that support your vierwpoints and not the rest?

See, you can either ignore parts of the lore, but then the party you base your arguments on are just as invalid. Or you can accept that ALL the in-world books are subjective, and ask after the story behind them... but then you cannot use them to "prove" anything, but need to look at more objective info that answers the question: "What was the -intent- behind the fluff?"

I didn't point out that it was at your own insistence because I disagree with that bit of lore (although there is, in fact, some evidence that it's not gospel truth), I said it to point out the internal inconsistencies with your argument. At this point I can't tell if you're being obtuse about it on purpose because you have no rebuttal, or if this is all-natural and authentic opacity.

And there is more to reading lorebooks than the extremes of "everything is fake" and "everything is canon". You should be able to form opinions on the veracity of some particular statement in a lorebook and, if you're feeling scholarly, back it up with corroborating sources, give explanations for contradictory claims, etc. I have repeatedly done this.
    Personally I think the magical change theory has a lot to it in the bosmers case. Moreso then the "mannish wives" interbreeding theory (unless they also interbred with deer, to get those cute horns... yeah, personally I think pacts with anture spirits the more likely one)

But what vexes me so is that you make statements without proof; yet act like they are unarguablely fact. Which they are not. You keep using cherry-picked lore to support your point of view, yet fail to accept that it is faulty, since half of it is contradicted in the same lore you hold up so high. And you disregard any bit of lore that you do not like, especially the bits I go for to find the objective intent of the game makers behind the fluff.

"Proof" is a bit of a strong word but I've absolutely given evidence for all of my claims, from a broad variety of sources, and I've given compelling explanations for any and every contradiction. I haven't "disregarded" anything. Why lie about me cherry-picking lore? Or is that just what you do when you don't have any arguments left and can't properly counter someone else's statements?
    Now... if you had changed that, and said instead "I, @Recremen happen to think the bosmer most likely changed from aldmer settlers to the wood elves we know through a pact with Y'ffre", I would not have argued in the first place, but said" Yup, I think so too" But if you say "the bosmer magically changed" as a statement of fact without ample proof (and I reckon you know well ennough that there is no mention of any sudden change from aldmer to bosmer in the lore, unlike with orsimer or dunmer coming into being), then I will argue against that - not the content which I happen to agree with, but the absolute statement.
    My apologies if that was unclear. ;)

If you have such a hangup about the basic format of persuasive arguments then that's 100% on you. It's not on me to preface every single argument with "I think" or "it's my opinion that this happened", it's my job to present my case and give evidence for it. I've done so, and you taking issue with some tiny, completely unnecessary nuance of language is just petulant. And for the record, there is evidence to support the Bosmer being suddenly changed, as per books like Words of Clan Mother Ahnissi to her Favored Daughter. It describes Nirni letting Y'ffer change some of the forest people into Bosmer as a moment, after which Khajiit and Bosmer were no longer of the same litter. But hey I guess reading and doing the actual work of gathering evidence is just too hard.
    While speculative, I think that if we keep seeing this pattern of elves moving from Summerset and getting magically changed, and given that there haven't been nearly enough generations for these superficial appearance changes to have an evolutionary cause, it is more likely that change of this nature on Tamriel is a magical process. If we want to get Deep Lore about it, the Aldmer were descended from the most Anu-related spirits to begin with, meaning they were least metaphysically aligned with change. Thus if they are going to change it makes much more sense to be a sudden magical process rather than some physical one. It's just not in their nature.
    True enough.
    But unfortunately for your side of the greater argument... that narrative would be a stronger indication for racial passives then any natural change. Just sayin. ;)

Magical changes do not make racials more likely, it is just the only thing left after ruling out an evolutionary cause. The burden is still on us to show that it actually happened, otherwise we're speculating with nothing to back it up, at which point we can just make up any argument we want and say "it might be true because magic!" That is not how evidence works. We're looking for a specific mention of the mechanism by which racials function, something like "And then Zenithar blessed the Imperials with silver tongues so they forever had a knack for trade and commerce" or "and so Y'ffre blesed the Bosmer with the steadiest hands so that if they took up the bow they'd be like, really good" or other such nonsense. We do not observe that happening, though. It should not be that hard to find supporting accounts when they go into such detail in their creation myths.
    This "bronze" skin of the Ayleids is also silly. The only Ayleid we see has no metalic color to his skin, and in fact looks so close to one of the Altmer presets in the character creator that I truly don't know if it's actually different or just a trick of the lighting.
    Let's look at an Ayleid then:
    Igpzrkj.png
    ...compared to an Altmer:

5SkVCjH.jpg

Like I said, so similar that I can't be sure any difference isn't just a trick of the lighting (or a SweetFX setting like your second gif has).

And digging a little more, I found this video which shows yet more Ayleid characters, these also with characteristic Altmer skin tones, including one with one of those "white people" skin tones. This obsession with interpreting elves as having some variation of metalic skin tones reads more as you trying to impose self-created categories than anything, especially considering the evidence I've provided against it for both Chimer and Ayleids now.
    And I keep saying, there are several bits of lore showing the -intent- behind the fluff, that points strongly towards a "the developers wanted it to be that way", thus the belief is valid as it follows the creators intent.
    And there are also a lot of logical connections that could support the whole idea. No solid mention in the in-world lore, true, but... indications. Combine those with the game descriptions and it paints a poretty solid pictore for different racial traits.
    ...but... is often rather vague abouzt their exact nature, as that nature has changed over various games.

The only "bits of lore" you've presented are the character creation descriptions, which have already been shown to be characteristically inconsistent at best and contradictory at worst. You've gotten to the point where you're picking and choosing which descriptions are the gospel truth, and have even said that the game mechanic portions of the descriptions aren't important despite the text descriptions being directly used to inform those very game mechanic decisions. Really your position is just ludicrous at this point. It seems to be "this tiny handful of carefully-selected sentences is the true intent of the game designers, but not anything else the game designers came up with, including other things from the section I just said matters".
    And that is where my argument comes from, I say the differet "racial traits" are part of the elder scrolls flavor and thus should be preferved, working with the -how- of their depiction. Make them mean less, so they don't force people into one build, then maybe add more options for people to diversify their characters...

The different traits are the real flavor of the game, except when they're absent or contradictory? I'm pretty sure the real flavor of the game is the monumental worldbuilding task they've taken on over the years. The races are important for the deep and distinct cultures they bring to the world of Tamriel, not for the alleged affinities they have which only a tiny percent of their population engages with, especially when every other culture also engages in that activity.
    As for your core argument, it just goes back to your idea only being supported in one place (and with contradictions at that) while mine is supported through the rest of the lore.
    Not at all supported, you mean?
    Since the lore does NOT show any evidence of absence of racial differences.
    While it -does- mention "racial traits" so I suppose there must be some... and even moreso, your much vaunted "magical change theory" would support the existance of racial traits even more strongly then anything else... because once you bring magic into it, such things are easily possible yes? ;)

It's pretty sad that you have to strawman this late in the conversation. My argument isn't that there's a complete absense of racial differences. There are obvious aggregate cosmetic differences between the races. My argument is that racials do not make sense and are not supported by the stories and NPCs portrayed in the games. You've had every opportunity to provide counterexamples or defeat my arguments with logical inference built on the source material and you've failed at every turn. If your arguments can't stand on their own and you find yourself needing to resort to fallacious tactics, then form better arguments.

And no, as I said above, magic fiat only supports racials if there is actual mention of it happening. This has not been observed. It's also the weakest argument against my claim, not the strongest. Magic specifically does not make sense. It goes against the laws of nature. Absolutely anything could or could not happen based on the whims of magic BS. To be using magic fiat as the last refuge of your position is the ultimate admission that the topic at hand does not make any logical sense and could not arise by any other means except through Deus Ex. It is likewise for that reason that direct reference becomes so important when you claim something happened by magic. If you can't infer cause and effect then you very strictly speaking don't have evidence for your claim. You might as well claim something completely outlandish, like Argonians being bipedal turtles with no shells. There's no support for this in the lore, it was never mentioned exclicitly, but it could be true because magic. I am hoping you can at least see why that makes for a terrible argument.
    Or show that even in a place where sword-swinging jocks rule the culture (and if you read the lore as much as I assume, you must admit that nords, orcs and redguards definitely lean towards that one) those who seek out the mysteries of magic can reach quite some heights, if with a bit more effort (as it was in days of elder scrolls past).

It's not all about swords and sorcery. The majority of a culture isn't going to be either of those combined, let alone individually. Most of the people are going to be merchants or crafters or farmers or academics or day-laborers or other completely mundane, society-building professionals. This obsession with the combat side of things just shows how much your understanding of worldbuilding is influenced by gameplay mechanics. So no, the idea would not be to highlight the importance of the struggle between jock and nerd, the idea is to make a complex and believable society.
    Wrong.
    Because if you change the way they are assigned, the "racial passives" go away, because the "racial" way to get them IS that part. Its like saying... "hey, lets "adjust" the human rights and make them citizen rights... you are not loosing your rights... they are just adjusted..." but in the end, it simply would not be the same, and definitely not an improvement...

They changed the way that you get a fast horse versus a carry capacity horse versus a high stam horse. You no longer have to pick and choose which horse to take out from the stable for your purposes, as all of your mounts can serve any role. That is a 100% analog to changing how the stat boosts we currently know as racials are acquired, but I don't see you complaining about ruining the flavor of horses. So either change your logic for what you consider an acceptable alteration to game systems, or come out as anti-riding training.
    Is Harry Potter, a full-blooded wizard, a hero in spite of his disadvantaged upbringing? Sure, but very clearly it's not because he belongs to an unexpected race that isn't usually good at wizarding.
    No, but because of his completely and totally non-wizarding upbringing, perhaps?
    Were Leia, Like, and Han heroes because they faced overwhelming odds against a powerful and ruthless enemy? Sure, but not because they were Space Humans.
    Especially since Chewie and the droids definitely were not space humans.
    (Although it is a bit vexing how many space humans fill the "hero" slots in the star wars universe, not to mention the ratio of caucasian brunettes in that role...)
    Race has nothing to do with their stories, and it has nothing to do with the success or failure of the vast majority of characters in TES lorebooks.
    I was not talking about race, I was talking about underdogs winning the day making for more memorable stories.
    It only becomes about race when one race dominates a certain field.
    Then the underdog that wins gets remembered more then all the champions that won before them, since favorites that take the win are a dime a dozend throughout history, but underdogs that win, those are -special- by that very fact, and thus make for a much better story.

Your obsession with how race may or may not factor into everything is borderline pathological at this point, and it remains as internally inconsistent as ever. In both of your examples they had much more unexpected options that, by your reasoning, would have made the stories more memorable due to the overwhelming underdoggedness of the main characters. They could have gone with a muggle killing Voldemort and they could have gone with a Jawa killing Emperor Palpatine. But they didn't. Why not? Didn't they want their stories to be memorable?? Well it turns out that both series had more than enough drama to be memorable without having to add a race layer to it. You are reaching so hard and so desperately to pigeonhole the entire elder scrolls lore archive into a race dynamic and it's blinding you to basic concepts related to telling a good story.
    There are stories of intrigue, stories of comedy, stories of romance, of horror, and many more.
    ...and just how many of those go with the most likely narative? How many storied of intrigue have the most suspiscious character be the actual culprit? How many stotries of comedy have the expected things happen all the time? How many stories of romance have the most likely suitor take the bride? How many stories of horror only include expected narratives?
    Where would be the fun of that, a story without complication? Without some depicted struggle? Without some surprise?
    And thus... when the story is about a persons achievements, it makes for a much better story to have an unlikely one achieve something.

At this point your refusal to actually engage with the lore to back up this absurd claim is downright comical. Do you even read the lorebooks? What context clues are you using to support the idea that there's some hidden race-related agenda for the lorebook author? Books like A Game At DInner aren't interesting because Dunmer lack a racial bonus to poisoning people, it's interesting because it demonstrates Helseth's ruthlessness, the very real degree to which he has to worry about spies, and the quiet horror of the situation that he put everyone in. Books like Purloined Shadows aren't interesting because the thieves lack a Khajiit's alleged prowess with thievery, it's interesting because it's a gripping tale of overambition and comeuppance. Even books where race does play a role, the role it plays has nothing to do with these alleged differences in racial prowess. Going back to a book I've already mentioned, the race issues in Last Scabbard of Akrash has to do with the Khajiit and Dunmer lover couple and the dynamics of slavery and ownership. We don't expect a Dunmer to have a secret Khajiit lover and we don't expect a slave to have the ability to assassinate so many Dunmer nobles. That certainly makes things "unexpected" but it has nothing to do with this wild race-importance conjecture of yours.
    The in-game depictions in lorebooks and NPCs paint an extremely complex picture of the races, where the alleged proclivities and advantages of the race fall away to reveal complex characters with a great many different skillsets
    ...which in no way contradicts any racial traits.
    In particular, we have ample depictions and descriptions of every race having robust cultural traditions around all the big three classic TES categories : Combat, Magic, and Stealth. Trying to essentialize the culture of any of the races inevitably cuts out huge amounts of canonical nuance.
    ...which still in no way contradicts any racial traits.

One more issue I have with the arguments, they always, always seem to equalize "racial trait" with "logically follows all of that race must be this", then try to turn that faulty argument around to say "since not all of the race are this, logically there must be no racial predisposition towards this"
    Wrong.
    Just because a race in general has some predisposition towards something does not mean everyone will be that thing. Just because people are different things does not mean a race in general may not have different physical charactersisitcs then some other race that make some things easier for them.
    Absence of evidence is -still- not evidence of absence.
    And in light of the game developers decision to -want- racial differences, well... your argument kinda seems flimsy as solid proof is concerned (as personal opinion its to be accepted tho)

Since you didn't quote anything from the entire summary point about the evolution argument, I'll assume that you've fully conceded that part of the argument. If not, please feel free to explain how these alleged racial differences could have surfaced in so short a time, with magnitudes far exceeding anything in nature, and with a complete absence of the relevant selective pressures which would drive such changes.

For the "it does not make sense lore-wise" portion, we may extend from the uncontested evolution argument. In particular, if there is no evolutionary cause for these traits, then the only other explanation is some kind of magical fiat. Magical fiat specifically is not a logical argument, it is the concession that nothing except a nonsense Deus Ex could explain the situation. As such, you very much need an explicit mention of that magical thing happening for the explanation to be convincing, otherwise you can say literally anything happened and explain with "because magic".

Thus, absence of evidence is, in fact, the best evidence of absence that we can ever hope for. No amount of "but this COULD be the case" helps us find the truth because it can be equally countered with "but it could also NOT be the case". We need direct sources for outlandish claims, and when we lack those we should not insist that it's true anyways just because we feel it to be true. Without such direct sources we don't have good arguments, we have glorified headcanons.

And as I said above and before, your insistence that the developers wanted racial difference is only backed up by character creation gameplay mechanics, and inconsistently at that. The stories, quests, and NPCs do not paint a picture where such things exist. We cannot build backwards from the story and arrive at the conclusion that racial passives were intended to exist. Every culture has farmers, warriors, mages, thieves, diplomats, and every other profession under the sun. There are always equivalent cultural institutions, like the Knights of the Flame and the Ansei and the Khajiiti martial arts. How are we to use any of these venerable groups of warriors as evidence that their specific host race is the true masters of martial wisdom? We cannot possibly do so. We can arbitrarily impose a hierarchy on them by using the gameplay racials (and again, we can only do so inconsistently), but that's not arriving at your conclusion logically, that's just imposing a conclusion on data points which fundamentally do not support it.
    First, you have not given ANY evidence for your hypothesis. At best, inconclusive indications. And if you stopped calling those "evidence" and making absolute statements but instead went with something more fitting like "opinion" or "hypothesis" or "suggestions" I would argue a Lot less with you... ;)

Honey don't you even dare say that I haven't provided evidence. Do you just not know what words mean? I have spent hours collating references from a variety of source material, including real-life science concepts, a wide array of lorebooks, video and screenshot evidence using in-game characters, etc. I have consistently and in good faith engaged with every argument and supposed contradiction. And why would I care how much you argue with me? My positions can stand up to scrutiny. Attempts to disprove or counter my arguments are welcome as they have consistently shown the soundness of my stance.
    Second, the racial differences ARE a part of the elder scrolls flavor. Replacing them would be changing that flavor, and thus a bad move.

Nah, they've been inconsistent and contradictory. The real elder scrolls flavor is the complexity of the world, the depth of the cultures in it, and the way that despite how alien the world can get, it is still full of very relatable experiences. Replacing racials would be a fantastic move that finally makes the freedom of gameplay consistent with the fictional world the games are based on.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @Recremen how can you say that magic is not the science of the elder scrolls universe? You are trying to apply a modern understanding of science to a world with a different theme and style altogether, a world that is fictional. I would argue that proper understanding of real genetics may actually have no bearing at all on what a fictional world's truths might be. This is actually a rather large assumption you are making. Furthermore, one can infer a lot about the world by playing previous games. It is strikingly obvious for instance that despite having bonuses to fire damage you find many if not most of the mages in Morrowind to be utilizing lightning and ice spells. A race of people with a bonus to flame damage oddly does not use flame damage spells that much against you. Why is this? I inferred years ago that this was because the Dunmer have an innate resistance to Flame. How effective are your fireballs going to be generally speaking when most of your enemies (fellow Dunmer) are essentially immune to the attack. It is not that many of these Dunmer do not know how to use fireballs, it is simply not expedient for them to do so most time. While I can not prove the claim and I might actually be imputing some kind of greater intelligence upon the game designers than actually existed I do think it makes a certain level of sense. Additionally, this flame retardant nature of the Dunmer has been an element of their features for a very long time in the series. You can call it genetics. You can call it a divine curse (or blessing). I really don't care what you call it. It is what it is. You are not the writer of the Elder Scrolls universe.

I feel as though you are complaining about these racial traits with some kind of modern real world lens that is entirely unsuitable. Perhaps you also feel that in the Lord of the Rings the Orcs are a downtrodden misunderstood race. I would argue that is preposterous. The Orcs are some kind of necromantic (assumably) result of evil magics upon elves. They are anathema and truly monstrous. They are a twisted form of evil in that universe. You may not like that fact but Orcs in that universe are NOT PEOPLE. They are monsters just like Dragons or Cyclopses in other mythologies. Trying to apply some real world characteristics in this case would be inappropriate. It would not be inappropriate however to make a world where Orcs are simply misunderstood or perhaps flawed creatures with good and bad qualities (like in Elder Scrolls). This is another fictional universe and needs to be judged by its own rules and confines. The part that makes many elements of the Elder Scrolls series is that they leave much to mystery. They don't TELL YOU the truths of the world but they leave easter eggs and false hints. You are forced to try to come at some kind of truth much like we as humans have to try to come to some kind of truth in making sense of our real world.

The Summerset expansion is a prime example of my point as well. The developers went out of their way to make it clear that magic is steeped in every level of life in the Altmer world, from Janitor and Sewage Maintenance to Warfare to Art to farming. Magic is steeped in all the Altmer do. The Breton way of life is not like this despite their creed/culture having quite a fair bit of magic and magical aptitude among the people. The Bretons live a much more mundane way of life though in many ways of a beautiful one filled with pastries and warm cheesy bread. One could likewise point out that the Redguard world is not without magic. In fact there are lorebooks in the series dedicated to understanding of magic from the Redguard perspective. The philosophical and MAGICAL elements of these people's origins are very different though. You seem to downplay spiritual elements of the series without recognizing this is a magical world not a scientific one. This is a mythical world where people 'mantle' the gods. There are Shezzarines. There are Hoondings. There is nothing comparable like this in real life unless you might want to compare to Einstein, Alexander The Great, etc. In other words big names that we remember. The series has a very Jungian Greco-Roman element to it where thought shapes form and form shapes thought. We even get a bit of insight into this when we play the Oblivion game and the Hero of Kvatch starts to become something else (or was he that something all along?). This is why I have a problem with you wanting to remove racial qualities or natures in the series. Argonians breathe water and are semi-immune to poison and disease. Khajiit are innately stealthy and clever. Altmer, Dunmer and Bretons have an innate connection to magic. This is not the real world and by doing what you suggest we may as well just go play Call of Duty: the MMO.

<And plenty more>
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Recremen : I didn't want to try to quote the section (its a huge bit of text there) but you spoke about Bretons and Manmer being questionable. My Breton's pointy stubby ears suggest to me that this is precisely the intention of the lorekeepers at Bethesda. I'll be honest I don't understand your animus with what @TheShadowScout is saying. He actually agrees with you that Race choice should not effect whether you can be a Great tank, healer, dps, etc. His point is that some level of flavor is valuable and meaningful and to this point I agree. I don't think we need to write Epics on the subject matter. In all honesty I think you're talking past him and failing to see the greater point he is making. It is CLEAR that something is going on with Nords in a mystical way regarding Ice/Snow/Kynareth/Shor. The Nords have a proclivity toward a divine ability (Shouting) and a supernatural resiliency toward the cold, and have come from some frigid plane of existence known as Atmora which may or may not actually be a continent. Dunmer are hugely resistant to flame and this is some mystical proclivity. I personally think you are all getting a bit too genetic in your assessments. There are mystical/spiritual things going on here CLEARLY that are elements of the theme. This is why I believe @TheShadowScout and others (Such as myself) have a problem with wanting to completely undo these racial traits. We all recognize that the series itself has something more going on with it. The Shehai is a Yokudan/Redguard thing. It would be strange if the Shehai appeared outside of the Yokudan people unless this person somehow had a Redguard soul (which I suppose is not completely impossible in the series). It is also inherent to the Argonians for instance that they breathe water and are highly resilient to disease and toxin.

The point I'm making here is that the racial backstory in ESO does matter. There is something much more different between Elder Scrolls than the real life differences between a Norwegian and a Frenchman, or a Frenchman and an Algerian, or an Algerian or a Nigerian, or a Nigerian or a Chinese person, or a Chinese person vs a Navajo. You get my point. This is a magical fantasy world with elves and lizard people, Vampires and Lamias, Sloads and Dragons. Fundamentally, we all agree that an epic Khajiit hero should be able to be a master wizard if he wants to be. Enchantments should even allow that Khajiit to breathe water like an argonian and handle the toxins of Murkmire. The problem is in how it was balanced in this game (which is to say it wasn't). Many of us don't mind the racial differences. A Khajiit has a tail, claws, fangs. It is NOT the same as a Nord, which is why even though a Nord is much more physically imposing than a Khajiit, the Khajiit has an advantage in hand to hand combat. Its just mageobiology, or whatever you want to call it. Every race has this stuff in the Elder Scrolls series. Bosmer have the wild hunt. Dwemer had their 'Deep Tonal Architect Elf' thing. Denying that is to deny the lore itself. Simultaneously, I think we can all agree that there are people who break the innate median norms of their race in Elder Scrolls. Sotha Sil is a prime example of this being a psijic who managed to master tonal architecture. Would this be normal Dunmer behavior? Not in the slightest. This isn't even normal mortal behavior. Sotha Sil is an outlier.

This is @TheShadowScout's point and you seem to keep talking past it. Simultaneously, @Recremen, You keep wanting to point out that everyone is an equal and balance would be good. I don't know about everyone being equal in capacity (not even in real life, but I would agree that everyone in real life is equal in value) but I do believe that every character should be able to master whatever field is available in game. This is what you want and I agree with it. Interestingly enough so does @TheShadowScout so again I'm wondering why is this dance around the subject so voluminous. What is actually being said here? I'm getting a headache reading it and I'm not sure much is being accomplished from a productive perspective other than you have made it abundantly clear you dislike his point by point analysis.

As an aside: Altmer are Banana yellow. Never before in an Elder Scrolls series have I seen an Altmer anything but banana yellow. This influx of more human skin colored Altmer makes me think these are more Ayleid than Altmer, which also makes me think that the game developers are suggesting the Ayleid interbreeding gave them human futures by the way. We can't only use Elder Scrolls Online as the measuring stick by what the series is. On this matter I vehemently agree with @TheShadowScout .

@dodgehopper_ESO

The problem I have isn't about whether or not Bretons can have pointy ears or whether or not they interbred with Direnni (those are both well-established fact), the problem I have is that neither of those things point to races evolving over time (in point of fact it is direct evidence against it), and that fact speaks to my greater argument that racials abilities do not make sense logically nor in the lore. The "manmeri" thing was just a tangent, and a tiny facet of the larger argument. I actually care less about the gameplay concerns related to racials (since they're not consistent or immutable anyway) and more about whether or not they even make sense in-universe. Part of assessing that internal consistency or inconsistency is going to involve reasoning with from the perspective of real-life science, and part of it is going to be looking for game-world sources that corroborate or explain the racial abilities.

For example, you claim that there is clearly something mystical going on with the Nords regarding ice/snow/Kynareth/Shor. In actuality, our sources point only to a cultural connection. Now that culture matters and can point to aggregate differences, but not race-wide ones. For instance, if you pick a Nord and a Khajiit completely at random, your Nord is more likely to live in a colder region of Tamriel and your Khajiit is more likely to live in a warmer one. On an individual level, then, they're more likely to personally be acclimated to those respective environs. This does not appear to be true for all Nords and Khajiit, however. If we're talking about racial advantages and selective pressure for some particular attribute, then both of those races' biggest advantage is their ability to adapt. Not adapt over many generations, but adapt on an individual level to the unique environmental stresses they find themselves in. That's kind of the most important thing for any civilization-building species. This is stuff I already went over several times in the course of the other argument, and I'm bound to repeat myself quite a bit here.

Now if there were in fact some mystical race-wide connection to be made, we ought to be able to see it brought up with at least some small frequency in the lore. Heck you'd expect it to come up a little bit more than usual considering how racist many people are in the elder scrolls universe. Instead, we don't see that at all. We do see a lot of jabs at inferior cultures or backwards traditions, but we don't see Altmer, Redguards, Bosmer, and the rest talking about their amazing disease resistance even though that has, at one point or another, been one of their racial passives. In fact, only Argonians are resistant to disease in ESO. Speaking of Argonians, we find some great counterpoints to the idea that they're resistant (or in some previous games, immune) to poison. In Murkmire there are Argonians worrying about dying from ingesting poisonous plants, and one Argonian who is getting drunk off of a simple beer. Now some have argued that these counterpoints don't matter, because the whole race doesn't need to have the magic power in order for it to be considered a racial trait. That doesn't really sound like a mystical racial connection to some ability, though, that sounds like an unpredictable cop-out.

The "dance around the subject" is because the facts presented simply don't add up from a lore perspective. If we take the combination in NPCs, quests, and lorebooks throughout the games and try to reverse-engineer racial abilities we would never get anywhere with it. The TES races have too much in-group diversity to justify that kind of pigeonholing, and there is too much overlap among cultural institutions to figure out who the real paragons of a specific thing are supposed to be. For every College of Sapiarchs you have an Imperial Battlespire. For every Redguard Sword School you have a Khajiiti martial arts temple. And within each of those cultures, the number of people actually participating in that activity is ultimately a minority. Most people are going to be commoners, merchants, tradesfolk, and other kinds of people responsible for the constructive work of society. Nobody is jumping at the idea of giving Nords a racial bonus to basketweaving, or Argonians a bonus to growing potatoes, but those actually make more sense for racial traits than some kind of bonus to health regen or whatever. Ultimately, racial abilities are a completely unsupported concept driven by a top-down design and unexamined gaming traditions, and they've totally poisoned peoples' ability to take an honest look at the lore.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • FilteredRiddle
    FilteredRiddle
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can we just STOP tying character passives to RACE?

No.

Elder Scrolls Lore

Each race having specific lore-based skill sets has existed since the beginning of Elder Scrolls, always including a basic description of their racial talents/expectations and sometimes including attribute bonuses, special skills, and resistances/weaknesses.

Arena
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Arena:Races
    e.g. "Bretons are a tall, dark-haired people. Bretons are highly intelligent and willful people, and have an outgoing personality. It is said that Bretons are weaned on magic, for it seems to suffuse their very being. As a result Bretons take half damage on any Magic based attack, and no damage on a successful save. They are excellent in all the arcane arts."

Daggerfall
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Races
    e.g. "Bretons hail from the province of High Rock. You are part of a tall, fair-skinned people, highly intelligent and willful. Magic seems to infuse the very being of the Breton people. As a race, they are more resistant to the effects of hostile magic than any other group, and thus are excellent in all arcane arts. Male and Female Breton character modifiers: +10 Intelligence, +10 Willpower, -10 Strength, -10 Endurance."

Battlespire
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Battlespire:Races
    e.g. Highly intelligent and willful, the Bretons have a natural bond with the forces of magicka. Many great sorcerers have come out of their home province of High Rock, and even the humblest of Breton [sic] can boast a high resistance to the destructive powers of magicka. Breton character modifiers: +10 Destruction, +10 Mysticism, +10 Illusion, +5 Alteration, +5 Thaumaturgy, +5 Restoration."

Morrowind
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Races
    e.g. "Bretons are the human descendants of the Aldmeri-Nedic Manmer of the Merethic Era and are now the inhabitants of the province of High Rock.[...] Bretons make up the peasantry, soldiery, and magical elite of the feudal kingdoms that compete for power. Many are capable mages with innate resistance to magicka. They are known for a proficiency in abstract thinking and unique customs. Bretons appear, by and large, much like other pale-skinned humans. They are usually slight of build and not as muscular as Nords or Redguards. Skill Bonuses: +10 Conjuration, +10 Mysticism, +10 Restoration, +5 Alchemy, +5 Alteration, +5 Illusion. "

Oblivion
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Races
    e.g. "In addition to their quick and perceptive grasp of spellcraft, even the humblest of Bretons can boast a resistance to magical energies. They are particularly skilled at summoning and healing magic. Skills: +10 Conjuration, Mysticism, and Restoration; +5 Alchemy, Alteration, and Illusion."

Skyrim
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Races
    e.g. "In addition to their quick and perceptive grasp of spellcraft, even the humblest of High Rock's Bretons can boast a resistance to magic. Bretons can call upon the Dragonskin power to absorb spells. Skills: +10 Conjuration; +5 Alchemy, Alteration, Illusion, Restoration, Speech."

Can there be exceptions (e.g. Shalidor, Urag gro-Shub)? Absolutely. But they're just that: exceptions. If Tamriel was populated by hundreds of Nord Mages, and Altmer Two-handed Warriors, it'd make zero sense from a lore point-of-view.

MMORPG Expectations

Races having specific attributes or alternatively being limited to specific classes is consistent with most popular MMOs. It isn't unique to ESO, and it certainly isn't something ZOS should eschew so that John Doe can throw away 24 years of TES's game history because he wants to be a unicorn in the world of Tamriel.

World of Warcraft
    https://www.wowhead.com/races
    e.g. "The night elves are an ancient and mysterious race. They lived in Kalimdor for thousands of years, undisturbed until the world tree was sacrificed to halt the advance of the Burning Legion prior to the events of World of Warcraft. Racials: Nature Resistance: Reduces Nature damage taken by 1%.; Wisp Spirit: Transform into a wisp upon death, increasing speed by 75%.; Quickness: Increases your chance to dodge melee and ranged attacks by 2%, and your movement speed by 2%.; Shadowmeld: Activate to slip into the shadows, reducing the chance for enemies to detect your presence. Lasts until cancelled or upon moving. Any threat is restored versus enemies still in combat upon cancellation of this effect.; Touch of Elune: Increases your Haste by 1% during the night.Increases your Critical Strike by 1% during the day."

Star Wars: The Old Republic
    https://swtor.gamepedia.com/Playable_species
    e.g. "Descendants of the original Sith species, the red-skinned Sith purebloods inherit a legacy long intertwined with the dark side. Playable Classes: Sith Inquisitor, Sith Warrior."

Everquest
    http://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/EQ:races
    e.g. " Barbarians are the remnants of an early civilization of Antonica. Barbarians are generally aligned with the Tribunal, although some do choose to follow other gods. The modern barbarian generally spends their early years hunting in Everfrost. Innate Racial Abilities: Slam, +10 Cold Resist. Available Classes: Beastlord, Berserker, Rogue, Shaman, Warrior. Armor Size: Medium, Large."

Star Trek Online
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Player_race
    e.g. "Natives of the planet Ferenginar, Ferengi culture is built on the ideals of free enterprise and profit, and there are 285 Rules of Acquisition that govern Ferengi society. [...] Ferengi are shrewd, perceptive businessmen with a naturally resilient physiology. Innate Traits: Ground bonus - +10 Perception; .25 Flank Damage Reduction; +10% Exploit Damage; 20% energy credit/gold-pressed latinum store discount; +.33 Resistance to Toxic and Radiation."

Conclusion

ESO is already better than some MMORPGs in allowing any race to be any class, any role, and wear any armor, even if it isn't an ideal match. Hell, spend a few bucks and you can also be any alliance. The only constraints are racial passives which have been part of TES since its inception (and which I have demonstrated are addressed by every popular MMORPG). This should not be changed. Period.

The only Lore friendly change would be to implement something akin to Star Trek Online's, "Race-specific Personal traits" where, "Race-specific Personal traits are optionally selectable based on the player's race." In ESO terms it would look something like each race getting to select 5-6 Passive Abilities from a pool which is specifically tailored to their race.

For example:

Breton pool

MUST CHOOSE 1:
    Increased experience gain in skill:
    - Restoration Staff
    - Destruction Staff
    - Light Armor

DISTRIBUTE 30% BONUS BETWEEN:
    - Max Magicka
    - Magicka Recovery

MUST CHOOSE 3:
    - Increases your Alliance Points gained by 1% (Available to all races)
    - Increases your gold gained by 1% (Available to all races)
    - Increases your crafting inspiration gained by 10% (Available to all races)
    - Increases the duration of any eaten food by 15 minutes (Available to all races)
    - Increases the duration of any consumed drink by 15 minutes (Available to all races)
    - Upon using a potion, gain 12% of your maximum, health, magicka and stamina. (Available to all races)
    - Increases spell resistance by X (Breton only)
    - Increases damage with Cold, Fire or Shock effects by 4% (Altmer, Breton, Dunmer)
    - Reduces the magicka cost of spells by 3% (Altmer, Breton, Dunmer)
    - Increases healing done and received by 5% (Altmer, Argonian, Breton)

Redguard pool

MUST CHOOSE 1:
    Increased experience gain in skill:
    - One Hand and Shield
    - Two Handed
    - Dual Wield

DISTRIBUTE 30% BONUS BETWEEN:
    - Max Stamina
    - Stamina Recovery

MUST CHOOSE 3:
    - Increases your Alliance Points gained by 1% (Available to all races)
    - Increases your gold gained by 1% (Available to all races)
    - Increases your crafting inspiration gained by 10% (Available to all races)
    - Increases the duration of any eaten food by 15 minutes (Available to all races)
    - Increases the duration of any consumed drink by 15 minutes (Available to all races)
    - Upon using a potion, gain 12% of your maximum, health, magicka and stamina. (Available to all races)
    - Restores X stamina when damaging an enemy with a melee attack, once every 3 seconds (Redguard only)
    - Increases weapon critical chance by 2/5/8% (Bosmer, Imperial, Khajiit, Orc, Redguard)
    - Increases damage done on melee weapon attacks by 4% (Bosmer, Imperial, Khajiit, Orc, Redguard)
    - Reduces the stamina cost of skills by 3% (Bosmer, Imperial, Khajiit, Orc, Redguard)

Etc.

Effectively:
    - Sneak Thief related skills: Khajiit + Bosmer
    - Health or Resistance related skills: Argonian + Dunmer + Imperial + Nord + Orc + Redguard
    - Stamina or Stamina Damage related skills: Bosmer + Imperial + Khajiit + Nord + Orc + Redguard
    - Magicka or Magicka Damage related skills: Altmer + Breton + Dunmer
    - Restoration related skills: Altmer + Argonian + Breton

All races would also have a pool of generic skills to choose from (e.g. the 1% AP gain), in addition to a single racial specific skill which confers a small bonus (e.g. Bow attacks returning Stamina & Bosmer, Melee attacks returning Stamina & Redguard, Spell Resistance & Breton, Fire Resistance & Dunmer, Poison/Disease Resistance & Argonian). The skills in their 'pool' would fit into 2 of the above 5 categories, per race, allowing at least two viable 'meta' roles, with the generic options allowing people to spread out beyond the meta if they so choose while still respecting lore.

Xbox One NA
    The Sentinels of Padomay
    Obsidian Guard (Social with PvX Events)

Gamers always believe that an epic win is possible and that it's always worth trying, and trying now. Gamers don't sit around.
    - Jane McGonigal