The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Unfathomable Darkness as a 3 Piece

kylewwefan
kylewwefan
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I have a Stam DK rocking a Masters 2H and Maelstrom Bow with Hulking Drag Queen, Valkyn Skoria and 3 piece jewelry.

I was using Vengeance Leach or Agility, but then noticed this Unfathomable Darkness 3 Piece gives a good deal of Penetration. I can’t really tell the difference between it or Agility. They both seem decent.

Vengeance Leach feels a little weaker but the sustain more than makes up for it. Thing is, I find myself doing many heavy attacks so that sustain isn’t really quite needed.

Before Draguer I tried VO, Ophidian Venom, Hundings, NMG. They’re all about the same, but Hulking is the most recent set I farmed together so working with it.

Is there a way I can use both the 2H and Bow and get a little stronger damage with one set and a 3 Piece? Could it be better to drop the Monster Set?

I know it’s not meta and won’t get those kind of numbers. It plays great though, but everything I put together with it feels meh about the same.
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agility imo is best if just running 3 pieces, since it has the highest stats, and unlike penetration increases the strength of your heals as well as damage.

2 items: Adds 1451 Maximum Stamina
    3 items: Adds 193 Weapon Damage
    Edited by Sparr0w on November 30, 2018 1:48PM
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    the 1487 pen from the 3 piece is about a 3% increase to damage, the extra stats from agility are closer to 5%, so use agility.
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly wish ZOS would reintroduce the old 3 piece sets they used to have and revamp them to be as effective, if not more so, than Willpower/Endurance/Agility.

For those that don't know:
    Relics of the Physician Ansur
    Relics of the Rebellion
    Arms of the Ancients
    There were more but those were the ones I could remember.

If ZOS would revamp them, they could be pretty solid 3 piece sets to go alongside Arena Weapons, if you so chose that route anyways. More diversity never hurt anyone.

Edit: Found the rest
    Arms of Inferance
    Destruction Suite
    Treasures of the Earthforge
    Edited by Silver_Strider on November 30, 2018 2:59PM
    Argonian forever
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Silver_Strider wow. I had no idea of those sets. They look weird though. Like necklace and 2 swords, or rings and a Greatsword. They came out of regular dungeons back in the day.

Looks like they never even made it to even vet 14 before being scrapped.

Seems like it wasn’t that long ago when arena weapons finally got an update. Even then it wasn’t enough to make them really competitive with 2 sets. After buffing all weapons to count as 2 set pieces, they fell even further behind.

Doesn’t look like they’re gonna do anything with this stuff, but they should.

I’m going back to 2H because i think it looks awesome and I’ve got a few of these masters weapons lying around.

• Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    kylewwefan wrote: »
    @Silver_Strider wow. I had no idea of those sets. They look weird though. Like necklace and 2 swords, or rings and a Greatsword. They came out of regular dungeons back in the day.

Seems like it wasn’t that long ago when arena weapons finally got an update. Even then it wasn’t enough to make them really competitive with 2 sets. After buffing all weapons to count as 2 set pieces, they fell even further behind.

I’m going back to 2H because i think it looks awesome and I’ve got a few of these masters weapons lying around.

Yeah, they dropped out of existence when One Tamriel became a thing, so they never got the touch up that all other sets did. Sets back then weren't like today, they didn't come in full pieces but just random armor pieces, i.e. I believe old Viper's Sting came in Dagger, Helmet, Gloves, Boots and a Necklace, with all other parts completely absent. Clearly, this would need to be rectified before they could be released again by adding Necklaces and all weapon types to each set, and then the set bonuses would need to be upgraded to CP160 with all getting 2pc bonuses as well as an upgraded (or altered) 3pc bonus but since ZOS did it once before for every set in the game, it's not impossible for them to do, especially since the code for these items still exists. If that happened and ZOS updated the other 3pc sets currently in the game (Ancients Grace, Blessing of the Potentates, etc.) to be more on par to the Trinity Jewelry, we'd maybe have a little more diversity as far as sets go.
    Argonian forever
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Considering that Skoria does not benefit from any of your CP it is a good idea to drop it and run two 5-piece sets. Unless you want to keep the fire theme. The easiest way to get a noticeable DPS increase is of course to run Relequen.

Although it might be that your damage feels the same with all sets because it is limited by your playstyle and skill and not the sets.
  • jypcy
    jypcy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, they dropped out of existence when One Tamriel became a thing, so they never got the touch up that all other sets did. Sets back then weren't like today, they didn't come in full pieces but just random armor pieces, i.e. I believe old Viper's Sting came in Dagger, Helmet, Gloves, Boots and a Necklace, with all other parts completely absent. Clearly, this would need to be rectified before they could be released again by adding Necklaces and all weapon types to each set, and then the set bonuses would need to be upgraded to CP160 with all getting 2pc bonuses as well as an upgraded (or altered) 3pc bonus but since ZOS did it once before for every set in the game, it's not impossible for them to do, especially since the code for these items still exists. If that happened and ZOS updated the other 3pc sets currently in the game (Ancients Grace, Blessing of the Potentates, etc.) to be more on par to the Trinity Jewelry, we'd maybe have a little more diversity as far as sets go.

Off topic, but trying to make builds with the limited pieces was both fun and nightmarish. You’d think you’ve got something good going only to realize that neither of those sets has rings... oh the nostalgia.

On topic, I agree that agility is probably going to be best out of your 3 pc options, but replacing your monster set with a five piece stam set is probably even better. Not sure how agility + stam monster set would stack up against 5pc stam set, though. But all are probably falling within the same ballpark. If you can get good stacks out of relequen, though, that’s going to be the winner for sustained single target dps (I’m assuming from maelstrom bow that this is for pve).
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks.

I’m willfully refusing to use Relequen. Light attacks and 2H don’t look or work good. They’re slow, Don’t “feel” good. It’s just not a good set to use with 2H.

I also can’t stand the fact that every Meta Stam DPS is relegated to using DW Relequen AY some monster set etc.

Skoria looks Great. Does decent damage...even on a stam toon. Try it.

Brawler swinging that 2H through these enormous groups of mobs in dungeons...looks good, “feels” great; and executioner looks Awesome. imo Steel tornado, not so much. Rending slashes looks silly. Shrouded daggers looks pretty good, but isn’t on the list.

The only other set that really boosted my Damage that much was TFS. It melts mobs, but can Be kind of a pain to get ahold of all the pieces. I do have them though.

I thaught the Ophidian Venom would be better, but just feels kind of meh.

Try a couple different 3 piece sets out. They all feel about the same. I thaught because of the penetration, unfathomable would be better. It’s kind of unique.

Front Bar Brawler, Venom Claw, Executioner, Rally, Noxious Breath. Standard

Back Bar Endless, Trap, PI, Vigor, Caltrops DawnBreaker

I’m not trying to set any world records or anything. Just get a little better with what I got. Can’t deny the meta, but can you even try to get alright without it?
  • jypcy
    jypcy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks.

I’m willfully refusing to use Relequen. Light attacks and 2H don’t look or work good. They’re slow, Don’t “feel” good. It’s just not a good set to use with 2H.

I also can’t stand the fact that every Meta Stam DPS is relegated to using DW Relequen AY some monster set etc.

Brawler swinging that 2H through these enormous groups of mobs in dungeons...looks good, “feels” great; and executioner looks Awesome. imo Steel tornado, not so much. Rending slashes looks silly. Shrouded daggers looks pretty good, but isn’t on the list.

The only other set that really boosted my Damage that much was TFS. It melts mobs, but can Be kind of a pain to get ahold of all the pieces. I do have them though.

Try a couple different 3 piece sets out. They all feel about the same. I thaught because of the penetration, unfathomable would be better. It’s kind of unique.

I’m not trying to set any world records or anything. Just get a little better with what I got. Can’t deny the meta, but can you even try to get alright without it?

Sure, and understand that the suggestions we’ve been giving are for full optimization. I think someone earlier noted that the difference between some of the sets you’re looking at amounts to ~2%. Really you should be able to use any of the sets mentioned in your original post and any combo would do well enough. If your primary focus is what you like to play instead of what’s bis (which I want to emphasize is not meant derogatorily— this is how I play haha), then just go with that.

More to your point, penetration is only good up to a point in pve, whereas you can always benefit from more weapon damage. Plus, the agility set bonuses are significantly greater than standard 2 and 3 pc set bonuses. If you find that your build is lacking in penetration and you don’t have another way to make up for it, though, then it’s true that some pen bonuses could benefit you more.
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks.

There are some objective fallacies here.
    • Light Attacks are the same speed on all weapons and they work perfectly well on two-hander.
    • Relequen is a good set to use with anything, it is really that good.
    • Skoria does not do decent damage on a stam toon, it's a magicka set.
    But all of this is just for clarification.

Of course you are free to subjectively dislike any of the options we've given you. Play the way you like and all that jazz. We can talk about some minor tweaks (like moving dawnbreaker to your front bar) but they are not going to give you a massive DPS increase you are looking for. And honestly, they won't really matter for you. Once again, your damage is limited by your personal skill/playstyle and not your build. I'm sorry, but there is no magical "+10k DPS" item in the game.

One advice I can give you: penetration is the biggest increase to your damage. With a catch. It is finite. Every single penetration point beyond 9100 is useless in overworld and anything over 18200 is useless in PvE in general. On a stamina build it is advisible to run either Lover with any other sets or TFS with a different mundus (Spriggans if you do not want to farm). You can tweak you penetration with CP after that. Small penetration bonuses on sets are usually not worth it (unless you run with inexperienced group with low debuff uptimes) since you will overpenetrate. You can try something like Kragh but your Major Fracture from Noxiuos and Lover/TFS with 2-3k in piercing will be plenty enough penentration.

3-piece set wise: agility is objectively better than anything else since it has bigger bonuses. You are not getting around it.
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know it’s not meta .

who gives a rats behind? do YOU like it...does it work and do you have fun...……..meta schmeata...../sigh
    Edited by Joxer61 on December 1, 2018 12:10PM
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So, I found something that seems to be better, maybe pretty good actually. Ready for it. TFS/VO/ Masters 2H/ Maelstrom Bow.

The monster set/ 3 piece thing just wasn’t working so great. I think them 3 piece sets need a buff. Kind of blows losing a monster set, but damage and sustain is pretty good right now. For me anyways.

Nothing ground breaking here, far from meta. Had to run trials and ask for helmets/shoulders. Easy enough to get. Basically no one wants them.

Since the thread title started with it, I tried going Unfathomable as 5 Piece. It is lacking somehow. The 2H build seems to be lacking most in single target boss type damage, but is so good when there’s tons of ads to smash.