Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Deconstructing the Darkness

R_K
R_K
✭✭✭✭✭
Aliyavana wrote: »
can you show this off in the villa which never turns into night?

Sure. Here is video that demonstrates the undoing of fairly dramatic changes to make what is an otherwise always daytime setting -- the Psijic Villa -- into a vampire-friendly cathedral draped in shadows. The effects that I am deleting throughout the video are Essential Housing Tools 8.9.5's various "Darkness" effects, including the new "Darkness, Veil" that places a permanent blanket of darkness over the entire home, really helping to usher in that palpable feeling of the dead of night.

I recommend experimenting with all of the flavors of Darkness now available in Essential Housing Tools 8.9.5+ as they can help you achieve a cinematic feel that would be otherwise impossible in Housing today.
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMG. Great stuff man.
  • R_K
    R_K
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...oh and one more thing:

Essential Housing Tools. Get it if you don't got it. If you've got it... you get it.
  • R_K
    R_K
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    susmitds wrote: »
    OMG. Great stuff man.

@susmitds Thank you so much :smile:
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @R_K this is probably a silly question, but am I right in thinking that it won't affect furnishings and lighting?
  • R_K
    R_K
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aurelle1 wrote: »
    @R_K this is probably a silly question, but am I right in thinking that it won't affect furnishings and lighting?

@Aurelle1 No question is silly - and yours is particularly relevant. :wink: I'll make a quick video for you to demonstrate.
  • Syzgy
    Syzgy
    ✭✭
    Yes! These effects are amazing, and I can't wait to use them to get rid of that pesky sunlight in my own villa. Though, as I was trying out the Darkness, Veil effect, I kept ending up with the effect just appearing as a square in the middle two thirds of my screen, leaving the right and left side looking normal. I play at a somewhat larger than normal resolution of 2560x1440, so I was wondering if there was a way to set screen resolution for that or if maybe the size buttons in the editor work to resize it (they didn't seem to have any effect when I tried)?

I couldn't seem to find any sort of setting, so I finally had a look around the lua file and increased the size of the square. However, I just wanted to check that there wasn't a more "proper" method to adjust the size than digging around in places that I probably shouldn't. :D

Anyway, thanks so much for all these awesome features! I've already got plenty of ideas for how I'm going to make use of them in my houses.
    PC NA - CP 1500+, PC EU - CP 500+

Lavinia Lestrange - Breton Sorcerer
    Nyriss Ulven - Dunmer Nightblade
    Yidhra Corelanya - Altmer Necromancer
    Annalise Voldaren - Breton Nightblade
    ...plus a few others that don't matter anymore.
  • mayasunrising
    mayasunrising
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syzgy wrote: »
    Yes! These effects are amazing, and I can't wait to use them to get rid of that pesky sunlight in my own villa. Though, as I was trying out the Darkness, Veil effect, I kept ending up with the effect just appearing as a square in the middle two thirds of my screen, leaving the right and left side looking normal. I play at a somewhat larger than normal resolution of 2560x1440, so I was wondering if there was a way to set screen resolution for that or if maybe the size buttons in the editor work to resize it (they didn't seem to have any effect when I tried)?

I couldn't seem to find any sort of setting, so I finally had a look around the lua file and increased the size of the square. However, I just wanted to check that there wasn't a more "proper" method to adjust the size than digging around in places that I probably shouldn't. :D

Anyway, thanks so much for all these awesome features! I've already got plenty of ideas for how I'm going to make use of them in my houses.

I had the same question actually. Aaaannnnd, I couldn't find the handle to select the darkness veil after I had placed it (them really since I tried layering multiple veils - which, by the way gets totally surreal when you layer enough for complete black and walk through fields of fireflies! LOL) so I had to remove all the FX i had already placed. Meep. lol
    "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." Anaïs Nin

“There’s a difference between wanting to be looked at and wanting to be seen." Amanda Palmer

“A game is an opportunity to focus our energy, with relentless optimism, at something we’re good at (or getting better at) and enjoy. In other words, gameplay is the direct emotional opposite of depression.” Jane McGonigal

“They'll tell you you're too loud, that you need to wait your turn and ask the right people for permission. Do it anyway." Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
  • R_K
    R_K
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syzgy wrote: »

@Syzgy Thank you for bringing that to my attention -- I forgot to scale that texture size up for very high resolution configurations. The next release will include this fix, so you won't have to update it manually. :wink:<3
  • R_K
    R_K
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had the same question actually. Aaaannnnd, I couldn't find the handle to select the darkness veil after I had placed it (them really since I tried layering multiple veils - which, by the way gets totally surreal when you layer enough for complete black and walk through fields of fireflies! LOL) so I had to remove all the FX i had already placed. Meep. lol

@mayasunrising Oh no! Ok, so the Darkness, Veil effect should always position its "Paint Bucket" editor icon directly in front of your character. So, if you don't see that button, make sure that (1) you are in Housing Editor mode and (2) you are not already editing another effect. The Paint Bucket buttons only show (to prevent screen clutter) when you are in Housing Editor Mode and when the Effect Editor panel is not already open -- if it is click "SAVE" to get rid of it).