The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Glass/Malachite Mines in Summerset

LMar
LMar
✭✭✭✭✭
Given the Altmer are pretty good with glass armour I wonder why they didn't include any glass mines in Summerset
"If a stick of fish is a fish stick, it will stick like other fish sticks stick"
"Taller races now sit in chairs correctly"
  • Number_51
    Number_51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a volcanic material and mostly mined in the Morrowind region (source).
    Edited by Number_51 on November 30, 2018 5:30PM
  • LMar
    LMar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's the thing, Altmer were making glass armour long before the Dunmer. Where did they get the material from?
    "If a stick of fish is a fish stick, it will stick like other fish sticks stick"
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would also like to know the answer to this. They're too xenophobic to trade for it, I don't recall any mention of any nearby volcanoes, and if they had, say, a massive vault of the stuff from back in the days of the Ayleids it would need to be big enough to be its own point of interest...and there would still need to be some mention of it.

And it's not like they just had X many sets of Glass armor and have been passing the pieces down through the ages, because we're still making this stuff in the Second Era. :\
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • Bruccius
    Bruccius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is glass really volcanic? We can find it in Skyrim, and Skyrim doesn't have that much volcanic activity (all it has is in Eastmarch).
  • Darkcaster224
    Darkcaster224
    Soul Shriven
    Maybe they altered some minerals magically to create this kind of glass armor
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

The volcanic glass of Vvardenfel is not the only type of glass to be found on Tamriel. In fact, the green glass used by the Chimer/Dunmer may be a poor substitute for the types of glass that were available to them before Veloth led them away on their exodus to far off Resdayne. After all, the green volcanic glass does not seem to be intrinsically magical.

The glass available to the High Elves in the Summerset Isles comes from meteoric and possibly synthetic sources. Meteoric glass includes Welkynd, Varla, Malondo and Culanda. As we can see in the game, large quantities of raw, unworked meteoric glass can be found underground in many locations.

The Culanda Lacquer and Vitrified Malondo (see, it's even called "vitrified") that are used for Psijiic and Sapiarch armour may be very highly processed or even magically synthesised.

PC EU
  • LMar
    LMar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The volcanic glass of Vvardenfel is not the only type of glass to be found on Tamriel. In fact, the green glass used by the Chimer/Dunmer may be a poor substitute for the types of glass that were available to them before Veloth led them away on their exodus to far off Resdayne. After all, the green volcanic glass does not seem to be intrinsically magical.

The glass available to the High Elves in the Summerset Isles comes from meteoric and possibly synthetic sources. Meteoric glass includes Welkynd, Varla, Malondo and Culanda. As we can see in the game, large quantities of raw, unworked meteoric glass can be found underground in many locations.

The Culanda Lacquer and Vitrified Malondo (see, it's even called "vitrified") that are used for Psijiic and Sapiarch armour may be very highly processed or even magically synthesised.

While that is a good hypothesis, and one i was also thinking of, do you have any sources that might help prove this bit? Not sure i found any so far
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    My thinking is mostly based on empirical evidence, stuff that we can actually see in the game - delves full of raw lumps of meteoric glass, and glass used as armour components by Altmer.

The lore books are very thin on the subject. "Aetherial Fragments" by Lady Cinnabar of Taneth was my starting point on UESP. There are links from there to more specific topics.

PC EU
  • LMar
    LMar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think there might be some sources talking about goblin slave labour in glass mines but I'll need to hunt those down