Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

FPS Problem

• Puodas
    Puodas
    ✭✭
    agegarton wrote: »
    There was nothing for Mac in this patch, and no further patch until a week on Monday. The patch was solely to attempt (again) to patch the group finder.

Yeah...they just stated that patch on dec 1 was done the one that was originaly planned to be on Monday :) And now there will be no patch on Monday
  • demerdecanswrath
    demerdecanswrath
    ✭✭✭
    Thought it would be best to add my voice to the chorus as well:

The game runs horrible. This is far from a finished product.
    • Launcher needs a proper native macOS version.
    • Still a ton of work to be done on Metal. I give you my hard earned money systematically for a nice adventure of Tamriel, not a PowerPoint presentation of a low res concept of Tamriel. (I have a decent GPU that runs it perfectly at least on medium settings on Windows)

ZoS, I hope at least your whiteboards are out of writing space and you're ordering pallets of sticky notes by this point. We can wait, as long as the end result is awesome and you're acknowledging the situation publicly.
    Characters:
    • Arien Larethian (High Elf Templar)
    • Relus Demerdecan (Redguard Dragonknight)
    • Elisia Bonaire (Breton Nightblade)

Proudly playing and producing content on a 2018 15" MacBook Pro.
  • Wodinn
    Wodinn
    ✭✭✭
    Thought it would be best to add my voice to the chorus as well:

The game runs horrible. This is far from a finished product.
    • Launcher needs a proper native macOS version.
    • Still a ton of work to be done on Metal. I give you my hard earned money systematically for a nice adventure of Tamriel, not a PowerPoint presentation of a low res concept of Tamriel. (I have a decent GPU that runs it perfectly at least on medium settings on Windows)

ZoS, I hope at least your whiteboards are out of writing space and you're ordering pallets of sticky notes by this point. We can wait, as long as the end result is awesome and you're acknowledging the situation publicly.

Agreed completely. In fact I like how you described the situation. I've already mentioned and posted my comp specs. As you stated, if they can get this to work properly. The end result SHOULD be amazing, given our computer specs and what they are capable of.
  • Chuaznega
    Chuaznega
    ✭✭
    It is not just on Mac by the way, I have a Desktop PC that I could run the game most of the time on max settings at 50~60 FPS and now, just after Murkmire update, my game drops to 20 FPS really often when I'm doing dungeons and trials, or for example at Dolmens, where it was ok (almost no FPS lag) before the update.
  • JJBoomer
    JJBoomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chuaznega wrote: »
    It is not just on Mac by the way, I have a Desktop PC that I could run the game most of the time on max settings at 50~60 FPS and now, just after Murkmire update, my game drops to 20 FPS really often when I'm doing dungeons and trials, or for example at Dolmens, where it was ok (almost no FPS lag) before the update.

then please post about it in the PC section. And it's not widespread on pc, but the mac client was completely broken with the update, the pc version was not. so we would appreciate pc players not hijacking our thread. thank you.

@ZOS_AlexTardif any more updates on mac stuff?
  • Wodinn
    Wodinn
    ✭✭✭
    JJBoomer wrote: »
    Chuaznega wrote: »

then please post about it in the PC section. And it's not widespread on pc, but the mac client was completely broken with the update, the pc version was not. so we would appreciate pc players not hijacking our thread. thank you.

@ZOS_AlexTardif any more updates on mac stuff?

Yes please
  • krismissee82
    krismissee82
    ✭✭✭
    I'm generally a patient person, but my patience is running a bit thin here. @ZOS_AlexTardif Is there any update? I'd really like to get back to playing the game I love...
    Kaelindi - Stamblade
    Maelindi - Magblade
    Lindi - Magblade healer
    Lindi the Builder - Stamblade
    Lindi Stardust - Magplar
    PC NA
  • nathan_bri
    nathan_bri
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you have the drive space—at least 120GB free—I recommend that you install Windows 10 in Bootcamp and install ESO there. You DO NOT need a new account to play. You also DO NOT need to own a Windows license to do this.

1. Go to https://support.apple.com/boot-camp and find out if your computer supports it and what is required.
    2. You are going to want a Windows 10 ISO image from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO.
    3. I recommend going the bootable USB drive route, but make sure you use a fast one (USB 3.0 if you can) and at least 16GB.

HowToGeek.com also has a summary from mid-2017 here: https://www.howtogeek.com/186907/how-to-install-windows-on-a-mac-with-boot-camp.
  • Montie
    Montie
    ✭✭✭
    nathan_bri wrote: »
    If you have the drive space—at least 120GB free—I recommend that you install Windows 10 in Bootcamp and install ESO there. You DO NOT need a new account to play. You also DO NOT need to own a Windows license to do this.

1. Go to https://support.apple.com/boot-camp and find out if your computer supports it and what is required.
    2. You are going to want a Windows 10 ISO image from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO.
    3. I recommend going the bootable USB drive route, but make sure you use a fast one (USB 3.0 if you can) and at least 16GB.

HowToGeek.com also has a summary from mid-2017 here: https://www.howtogeek.com/186907/how-to-install-windows-on-a-mac-with-boot-camp.

I appreciate the info and this it is fine for a lot of people. But I went to Mac to get away from Windows and I will not be installing it just to play a single game. Of course I doubt I will be playing ESO anytime soon anyway since ZOS does not seem to know what they are doing and keep making horrible decisions like knowingly releasing a completely broken Mac client.
  • keto3000
    keto3000
    ✭✭✭
    I play on my Mac because I wanted to get away from Windows. While I can installl the game on Bootcamp partition, I notice that games(which I've run before) on the bootcamp partition can run 'hot' on my macro I removed the partition.

I love playing ESO on my native Mac OS. I have always used medium settings, but on a mac they are awesome to me.

When ZOS fully implemented 64 bit client for mac, my game finally started running smother than many of my PC friends and I found it was highly stable....

UNTIL Summerset, then MAC Mojave and now, the Metal Vulkan rendering issues.

I will renew my ESO+ sub (which I've had since beta) because I really enjoy the game and playing with the many cool friends I've made along the way.

I believe that ZOS is committed to supported the Mac client & their devs actively want to fix our issues.

I, too, was disappointed with the poor implementation of this Murk patch, especially since we, & the devs, all knew it was wasn't ready for LIVE server yet!

I'm keeping optimistic that we will get resolution. Hoping we can get news/update from @ZOS_AlexTardif & team this week.

Let's keep this thread as pro-active by continuing to list current, actual issues together with our specs 9in same post) so we all can track it. That is best way to achieve a positive result, imo.

“The point of power is always in the present moment.”

― Louise L. Hay
  • demerdecanswrath
    demerdecanswrath
    ✭✭✭
    keto3000 wrote: »
    I play on my Mac because I wanted to get away from Windows. While I ....

Well said! We're all here because we love the game and want to improve it. I'd say keep that positivity going and provide the devs with all the details they need.

Besides, they've made it clear they're working hard to resolve this increasingly complex misstep.

ZoS, rooting for ya! Awaiting patiently for an update.
    Characters:

• krismissee82
    krismissee82
    ✭✭✭
    Montie wrote: »

I appreciate the info and this it is fine for a lot of people. But I went to Mac to get away from Windows and I will not be installing it just to play a single game.

This, exactly.
    Kaelindi - Stamblade
    Maelindi - Magblade
    Lindi - Magblade healer
    Lindi the Builder - Stamblade
    Lindi Stardust - Magplar
    PC NA
  • nathan_bri
    nathan_bri
    ✭✭✭✭
    Montie wrote: »

I appreciate the info and this it is fine for a lot of people. But I went to Mac to get away from Windows and I will not be installing it just to play a single game. Of course I doubt I will be playing ESO anytime soon anyway since ZOS does not seem to know what they are doing and keep making horrible decisions like knowingly releasing a completely broken Mac client.

I am not proposing this as a permanent solution. For those who want to play right now, but are frustrated with the Mac client, this is a valid option until ZoS gets their act together. It’s what I had to do to not go insane while dungeon-diving for this most recent event.
    Edited by nathan_bri on December 5, 2018 11:42PM
  • moonio
    moonio
    ✭✭✭✭
    To be honest this whole Mac fiasco is really putting me off the game and making see what kind of a company ZOS really is.

We do not expect perfection in gaming but we at least aim to strive for a degree of excellence in our favourite pastime and really do wish that developers would try to up their game in delivering the quality of products we desire.

Blobs (twitch streamer now missing in action) once said that ZOS didn't know how to run their company, and I can now see what he meant.

I'm sorry but I have better things to do with my time than struggle with the offerings of a sub-par company, its like being in a really bad relationship where whenever you try to make things good, you run into the other persons issues time and time again.

Sometimes the best thing to do is to get out...
  • Wodinn
    Wodinn
    ✭✭✭
    They have done a lot to improve the game overall. This recent one with the Mac client is another problem they need to fix. The Mac client wasn't in 64-bit to start with.

It's your personal choice to play the game obviously. I for one, am going to keep playing. I just won't be getting another + membership or be spending any crowns.
  • karpok
    karpok
    ✭✭✭
    So a new patch is scheduled tomorrow, will we eventually have some improvements ? Maybe the quit-crash at least...

Or maybe we forgot to write it on Santa Claus letter...
    --
    Soumar, Aldmeri Sorcer
  • yacoob
    yacoob
    ✭✭
    All right, I've tested the new patch, very briefly:
    - Flicker seems to be gone completely, with vsync on.
    - I can switch from full screen game to other applications and back. While I'm switched, the game gets shunted into a tiny window, and there's a brief blur on switching back, when it's being resized. Minor nuissance. Not sure why it simply doesn't stay fullscreened on a separate desktop.
    - Game actually remembers that you were running in fullscreen mode, and sticks to that on relaunch. Excellent!
    - FPS-wise, I think there's been a slight improvement, but not a huge one. Mind you, I've only started playing once problems were already in full swing, so I don't have a reference point. As usual, shadow and reflection quality are primary factors in the fps.
    - Mini-hiccups still happen; usually when I ride from wayshrine to craft area in Vulkhel Guard, I'd get a hiccup upon crossing the stairs between port and residential area.

Overall: not bad, please keep it up :D
  • Wodinn
    Wodinn
    ✭✭✭
    I was never able to turn off Anti Aliasing. Did anybody else have this experience?
  • nathan_bri
    nathan_bri
    ✭✭✭✭
    I applied the patch to both Mac and Windows client today and did a comparison between the two. With the exact same settings in both, the Windows client is getting about double the frame rate, in this case around 60 fps instead of 30 fps at the highest-possible settings (not including their terrible antialiasing) in an isolated location in Malabal Tor. This is with the same add-ons, same add-on settings, same video settings... everything the same except platform. I saw no graphic issues like before, which is a very good start to fixing this problem, but they still have a long way to go until the Mac client is at the same quality level as the Windows client.
    Edited by nathan_bri on December 10, 2018 5:06PM
  • Wodinn
    Wodinn
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, all the graphical glitching is gone. and I once again use use vertical sync without getting nauseous. But fps doesn't seem to have improved.

Just logged out again. My fps doesn't even break 30 fps. Everything else seems fine but my fps took a big hit again.
  • demerdecanswrath
    demerdecanswrath
    ✭✭✭
    Experience with the game so far:
    • Major glitching indeed gone.
    • Performance still needs a lot of work. Like a silt strider of work left.
    • Mouse cursor still disappears and has the white square for some reason. It's been more than a year with this sore thumb.
    • Windowed mode greys out basic window controls (maximise, close). I want to go full screen on a separate desktop space and still have all my notifications and system alerts drop on top of the game. Just snapping it onto display corners and overriding everything else only screams poor coding.
    • When I launch the game with my own language as input source, all buttons have square characters. On Windows, the game automatically switches to English input source to prevent that. Maybe the Mac client should do a similar, proper user permission check so it can switch the input source automatically as well?

I know I've gotten out of my way to list other things, but the patch just got released and the devs are most probably looking for feedback as of now.

With all that said, keep up the work ZoS devs! :)
    Seriously hoping to enjoy a well performing and super stable version a little bit this winter holiday break.
    Characters:

• elgirth
    elgirth
    glitching is gone but fps is still poor and I've been experiencing client crashing while pvping in battlegrounds.
  • Wodinn
    Wodinn
    ✭✭✭
    If nothing else it does show that they ARE working on it, and are trying to do it in a timely manner. The problem still is the lack of communication.

All the graphics glitching is gone, so is the game crashing error on quitting the game. And as previously stated full screen and V-Sync works. I have tried and I can't get Anti-aliasing to turn off. And I've tried to do some questing in game, unless I'm inside my fps never seems to break 30 fps, and changing the quality settings seems to make no impact at all.

It's playable, but performance still needs A LOT of work.
  • elgirth
    elgirth
    glitching is gone but fps is still poor and I've been experiencing client crashing while pvping in battlegrounds.
    elgirth wrote: »

3 times in one day so far now

[edit] 4 times now 30 min later
    Edited by elgirth on December 11, 2018 8:23AM
  • keto3000
    keto3000
    ✭✭✭
    Just a note that we all should keep posting our system specs when reporting feedback after this last patch. It really helps.
    “The point of power is always in the present moment.”

― Louise L. Hay
  • Veladros
    Veladros
    ✭✭
    Firstly Thank You ZOS for this patch seems better.

Im getting a crash every 1 hour - 3 hours of play doesn't matter where i am Dolmen, Dungeon, battlegrounds any given time i crash which is not cool cause it happened while at a final boss in execute range and we lost haha.

CMD + Tab does sort of work but it changes the screen from fullscreen to windowed fullscreen or sometimes windowed letter box. Please could it just minimize properly. Oh and when you come back to ESO after and make it fullscreen theres a bunch of errors that pop up.

Otherwise FPS not too bad and other issues seem better. Thanks and keep it up.

f7qkku1vijq2.png
  • rluke
    rluke
    ✭✭✭
    I can only force quit the game and game crashing every 1-2 hours
  • moonio
    moonio
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad to see there have been a few small improvements, but its not enough to bring me back again, and I play on PS4 Pro!!!

I think messing with Mac users is the worse thing a developer could do. Our computers cost way more than some of the best PC setups with RGB lights, clickey keyboards, water cooling systems.. real gold glitter.. whatever.

And we do expect them to run close to perfectly.... If your game is never going to achieve this then you should be honest and upfront about it..

• Wodinn
    Wodinn
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, so my mistake. My fps problem was an add-on that I actually didn't know how to set correctly. So that's obviously my own fault. My fps performance is as random as it's aways been. Still getting screen freezing often though.

I no longer seem to be having game crashes but I am probably not playing for long enough.
  • Puodas
    Puodas
    ✭✭
    So for me game is even more freezing now than before.. previously there were only blinking, now I think it was replaced with freezing :)

Also every time I do dung, my controls are pretty unresponsive.
    Edited by Puodas on December 11, 2018 4:05PM