The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Orsinium: How to "Deal With" The Harpies

ProfesseurFreder
ProfesseurFreder
✭✭✭✭✭
Hello -- I must be missing something. In the early quest at the fortress we are told to "deal with" the Harpies.

I've been up and down that *** hill about fifteen times from both sides and killed so many harpies that my head is spinning, and it still just keeps telling me to "deal with" the damn harpies. I've met up with the orc troops in the tower and what they said about clearing the way for the elf was about as clear as mud. It doesn't seem to matter how many harpies I kill -- so how do you "deal" with the damn harpies? What am I supposed to do? I can't figure it out.
"Nothing by which all human passion and hope and folly can be mirrored and then proved ever was just a game."
-- William Faulkner.
  • Luigi_Vampa
    Luigi_Vampa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Go to the top of the towers and tell the elf to shoot the Harpy nests.
    PC/EU DC
  • bg22
    bg22
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    *** dumb quest
  • Kram8ion
    Kram8ion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh I remember that bloody harpy quest I tried everything until I just gave it up for a while and came back months later and finally figured it out :s
    ps4eu
    Kramm stam man kittyblade

• SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep killing them. I hate those dang things. Harpies need to die. >:)

LOL. Actually, it's what Typh said.
  • Curtdogg47
    Curtdogg47
    ✭✭✭✭
    Totally misread harpies as herpes! I was going to say I think there is a cream that helps but you are still stuck with them for life :)
  • draygon_icewing_ESO
    draygon_icewing_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I have to get up the towers... how? There aren't any ladders anywhere. Am I supposed to just fly? Serious question.
  • ProfesseurFreder
    ProfesseurFreder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go inside the towers. There are spiral staircases winding around and up. If you're coming up the "front" end of the hill, the entrances are around the "back."

It can be confusing, especially if there are a lot of people running about, and it does seem to be a popular area. But keep looking. I finally was able to complete this quest, the whole siege, but it took MONTHS including going away and coming back later when I had "cooled down" and leveled up some!

I must say, SydneyGrey is right -- I hate those harpies!
    "Nothing by which all human passion and hope and folly can be mirrored and then proved ever was just a game."
    -- William Faulkner.
  • Damianos
    Damianos
    ✭✭✭✭
    Go up the tower opposite of the one where the harpies are, once you are in line of sight the bosmer archer will come up the stairs spouting off at the mouth and you will get a trigger to shoot the harpies by pushing X or whatever your synergy key is set to. Press said thing, bosmer will do her job and then go to next tower. It was stated during the providing of the quest on what you needed to do during the conversation. Stop, smell the roses and let the NPCs do their job and talk to you before you run off next time!
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Here's what happens when you don't read what npcs tell you ;)

You need to get the Elf up the towers so she deals with the harpies by shooting their nests down.

Also I love harpies, they(especially the non Wrothgar variation) just look so awesome!
  • Saoirse_Siobhan
    Saoirse_Siobhan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember it took me ages to figure out this quest. I couldn't figure out where to go or what to do :D
    PC/EU DC
  • Stuart121
    Stuart121
    Soul Shriven
    Still a problem. There are no entrances to get to the top of the towers.
  • Lnin0
    Lnin0
    ✭✭✭
    I quit the game because of this absolutely horrible quest. I don't play these games for the long winded, cliche stories so if a quest is so complicated it cannot be completed without reading all the subtext then toe that is a game breaker.
  • Pops_ND_Irish
    Pops_ND_Irish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quit because of a quest ?
    Never wanted to play anyway ! Just needed to complain about something.
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is one of the most confusing quest steps in the game. So it’s all uphill from here!
  • Pheefs
    Pheefs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that it could explain better to you the quest objective of getting on a line of sight with the nests.
    & it could be as simple as just changing the wording of the objective.

I know it can be frustrating when you are missing a step somewhere, but if you made it all the way to rage-quit you should have come looking for help out-world ages ago.

that's what the forums and fan sites are for.
    o:)<3>:)
    { Forums are Weird........................ Nerfy nerfing nerf nerfers, buff you b'netches!....................... Popcorn popcorn! }
  • Boboli
    Boboli
    ✭✭✭
    MoTeets wrote: »

Not necessarily, I have been playing EOS since release, been a Plus Member most of that time, I just finished Clockwork and was revisiting Osinium with this latest character and hit this "Deal with the Harpies" intentionally gimmicky quest, annoying as hell...I am pretty much done with ESO entirely, not just due to one quest (that should have been fixed by now) but Clockwork felt like it was written by the coders, it was boring as hell to me, with just a handful of interesting quests, the rest are cooking cutter or repeatable fetch quests and at $15 a month, I just feel stupid for forking out the cash anymore. ESO now feels to me like it's sitting on it's reputation and a few good DLCs to suck people in then spam them with stuff from the Store.

Heck with 3 months of ESO sub payments I could buy a brand new AAA game. I absolutely loved the Morrowind DLC, truly well done, just amazing, but then it's like they fired the talented team that created it and spit out the Clanky and Monotone Clockwork using who was left. So yea, it's definitely not that I "Never wanted to play anyway" I loved this game for years for what it's been (mostly), but after trudging through the annoying Clockwork DLC over the last couple weeks and then just spending a couple hours on that "Deal with the Harpies" joke where I finally had to break down to find the solution online...it all adds up to a pretty darn good time to Quit ESO entirely.

Actually I am thankful for that annoying quest since it ended up being the straw the broke the camel's back and got me off my rear end to finally go ahead and cancel my ESO Plus account and totally uninstall the game, not out of rage, but being realistic. ESO was a fantastic game for me until fairly recently. I am hoping they come up with either a whole new game or some major DLC and I will gladly re-sub, but for now, saving $15 a month feels great. Honestly for months now I have been feeling a bit foolish for paying to replay ESO but I didn't want to give up all the nice things that come with Plus...now it's time to get caught up on my Steam Library!
    Edited by Boboli on January 21, 2018 12:45PM
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So they make one DLC you loved, and the next one you disliked, and that's a reason to "quit entirely"? Maybe, just maybe, the next DLC is going to be great again? Just saying...

Do you stop listening to your favorite band just because they made one song you don't like?

Edited by Loc2262 on January 21, 2018 1:05PM
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • Boboli
    Boboli
    ✭✭✭
    Loc2262 wrote: »
    So they make one DLC you loved, and the next one you disliked, and that's a reason to "quit entirely"? Maybe, just maybe, the next DLC is going to be great again? Just saying...

Do you stop listening to your favorite band just because they made one song you don't like?

I get it, but games aren't music, sort of apples and oranges and actually I am surprised I paid to play for so many years. I feel good for supporting ESO and feel it has been the best MMORPG I have played, but just got played out and that stupid mission tipped the scale. On a footnote, I went back and actually Abandoned all Orsinium quests and as able to get that same Harpies quest from another person (different quest giver) in a nearby camp, a captain or someone, instead of the King. That exact same task was thoroughly explained by the captain for Dealing with the Harpies but the King dialog (as quest giver) only said Find Way Into Fortress or similar and had no info on what to do. It was the King's path that sucked IMHO. Anyway, I am thankful, I need to take a break. Take Care.
  • gimarwb17_ESO
    gimarwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    So you keep killing Harpies forever and that is that? nearly as stupid as the 'main quest' where you have to find a certain char and in reality you need to open a bag somewhere on the ground and some more stuff along the way.
    And the person who wants to leave, I don't blame them. Some people like to work a production line and some don't.
    I am playing (back again) this game because there is nothing really out there so Bethesda can cash in eventually.
  • marcahxb16_ESO
    marcahxb16_ESO
    Soul Shriven

No, maybe he has standards unlike you. You'll accept a messed up game with all sorts of broken quests.

I just redid this quest in 2018 and it was totally fubarred. I had no idea which key to use to use the net to lock down Harpy (it didn't show up on UI), the game never game me a hint. It took me an hour looking at my UI, searching the net (I was told X would cast the net, didn't work). In the end, I just mashed buttons randomly and it worked somehow.

Totally unprofessional quest design. And of course you accept and love it enjoy it like it's a normal thing. This is the precisely the reason why devs keep making broken games. Because of people like yourself.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No, maybe he has standards unlike you. You'll accept a messed up game with all sorts of broken quests.

I just redid this quest in 2018 and it was totally fubarred. I had no idea which key to use to use the net to lock down Harpy (it didn't show up on UI), the game never game me a hint. It took me an hour looking at my UI, searching the net (I was told X would cast the net, didn't work). In the end, I just mashed buttons randomly and it worked somehow.

Totally unprofessional quest design. And of course you accept and love it enjoy it like it's a normal thing. This is the precisely the reason why devs keep making broken games. Because of people like yourself.

You, uh, do realize you are replying to a year-old comment from November 2017?

Quest-related: I found this quest in Orsinium confusing the first time too. I had to go up into the towers and tell Eveli to shoot the nest for the two towers.
    Edited by VaranisArano on December 1, 2018 11:56PM
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the problems with this quest is that you are lead to believe that you must attack the nests yourself. In fact the nests are destroyed by the elf - from separate adjacent towers that you can access. I had no problem, because I just followed the markers, and ignored the contradictory instructions. If you chose to believe the instructions, you could get lost.

I've found that you often get told to meet someone inside a location, but they're outside, or vice-versa. The markers seems to be dumber, and incapable of lying.
  • mindcandy
    mindcandy
    ✭✭
    Okay, old post but still, Odd: Because I was up on both towers the first time I played that quest... but nobody came with me ... no Orc King, certainly no Elf who offert to shoot something...

Will go up there again und lurk around a bit.

And agreed, the "wording" is choosen poorly. Dont know how many Harpies I wiped out finding a solution on the ground... must be an endangerd species by now!
    Spent 2015 till 2023 in another universe called Los Santos...
  • mindcandy
    mindcandy
    ✭✭
    mindcandy wrote: »
    Okay, old post but still, Odd: Because I was up on both towers the first time I played that quest... but nobody came with me ... no Orc King, certainly no Elf who offert to shoot something...

Will go up there again und lurk around a bit.

And agreed, the "wording" is choosen poorly. Dont know how many Harpies I wiped out finding a solution on the ground... must be an endangerd species by now!

Well, I just was up there again, this time King XY came with me.... I can see the tower in the middle with the nests on it but still: NO ELF... just a lot of players trying to figure out what to do.

Something is missing!
    Spent 2015 till 2023 in another universe called Los Santos...