Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

What the heck happen?

rager82b14_ESO
rager82b14_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
I recall that the mega server was suppose to have tons of options with it. Like If my wife and I wanted to Duo a cave or area just us, we could do it. I don't mind having MMO elements, but I'm pretty sure I was told that I could control them better than this.

I know I'm going to get people saying that it is a mmo, If you don't want to play with others, blah blah. Yet, that is just silly to say. Many people enjoy MMOs solo because it is a virtual world, I do group things when I want to. Yet, this is not what was brag about with the mega servers.
Edited by rager82b14_ESO on April 7, 2014 10:24AM
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mega server "brag" was no queues, all in the same server. Where did you read it helped making the game a SRPG? Because its intentions are the opposite
  • rager82b14_ESO
    rager82b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mutharex wrote: »
    The mega server "brag" was no queues, all in the same server. Where did you read it helped making the game a SRPG? Because its intentions are the opposite

I'm pretty sure, they said while the game was going to be design where you had instancing options so that If you wanted to play with just friends in the world you could, or could join others. If not oh well, It is annoying and ruins some of the fun. I was really hoping that this mega server stuff gave us more freedom to who and how we played.

*shrugs* Still going to give it a fair chance. Just kinda ruins the fun, when trying to have a adventure and people running around while her and I sneaking through.
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah nothing worse than being told you must beat this guy and save the princess only to get there and stand around with 10 other players waiting for it to respawn again.

Also there is always that one guy that kills the thing over and over it seems..usually a Nord or an Orc it seems...
  • Seroczynski
    Seroczynski
    ✭✭✭
    You misunderstood what they meant, that's all. Sorry mate.
    “To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.” ― Homer J. Simpson
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I never seen anything about this, quite the opposite
    Edited by mutharex on April 7, 2014 11:59AM
  • Gaudrath
    Gaudrath
    ✭✭✭
    I have also seen multiple unofficial sources claiming that there would be social options for the megaserver. Indirectly, the developers confirmed as much with the following quote:
    How will the social engine work on the Megaserver? Will players be able to choose multiple options, including preferred language, roleplaying and so forth?

Things can change during game development, and this was one such feature that has evolved over time.

and later on in the answer:
    Over time we will be adding more features to the social engine so that you can further refine the types of people you want to be placed into the world with.

You can find the source here.

I also remember watching a developer video where they talked about having options to pick and choose who do you want to be grouped with and the social engine would do its best to group you up according to mutual preferences.
  • Thete
    Thete
    ✭✭✭
    Gaudrath wrote: »
    I also remember watching a developer video where they talked about having options to pick and choose who do you want to be grouped with and the social engine would do its best to group you up according to mutual preferences.

Development is just that. They will remove features that they feel aren't working out as well as adding some they hadn't originally thought about. What you are talking about was abandoned during development.
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mutharex wrote: »

I'm pretty sure, they said while the game was going to be design where you had instancing options so that If you wanted to play with just friends in the world you could, or could join others. If not oh well, It is annoying and ruins some of the fun. I was really hoping that this mega server stuff gave us more freedom to who and how we played.

*shrugs* Still going to give it a fair chance. Just kinda ruins the fun, when trying to have a adventure and people running around while her and I sneaking through.
    Your forum name shows you were in the B14 cycle, this therefore is something you've known about for some time as you've seen the 'mega server' in action many times before release.
  • Gaudrath
    Gaudrath
    ✭✭✭
    Thete wrote: »

Development is just that. They will remove features that they feel aren't working out as well as adding some they hadn't originally thought about. What you are talking about was abandoned during development.

I think I said as much. The quote was for the benefit of the doubters who never heard of such a thing as social options. They were planned, were axed and may come back in the future.
  • Sarahyuki
    Sarahyuki
    ✭✭
    The phase system in this game is horribad.... no matter what you do there is NO way you will be placed with the people you want...try finding some RP when all roleplayers are put in many different phases...
    They need to add the tool so we can select Roleplay,pve,english ect, or just add normal servers the megaserver is more in the way then it is good.... and a game this good dont need something like phasing messing it up for people i can understand how they did not have a phasing tool of some sort at launch...
  • beriiel
    beriiel
    ✭✭
    Honestly, that sounds like one of the pie in the sky thing developers shoot for that just never end up working right. Like their goal for everyone to remember you in Morrorwind which just didn't work out very well.

Devs go for tons of things that just aren't ment to work yet and in my opinion this is one of them. I would look for this to be implemented "one day" and not "soon."

With all the bugs they had at open beta, I can see them deciding to put this on the back burner until they had the time to iron out the issues because I can see this having tons and tons of issues from the get-go.

I do remember someone posting on the social beta forums that are gone something about them taking out the survey which is what I'm assuming they were going to use.

I have also seen multiple unofficial sources claiming that there would be social options for the megaserver. Indirectly, the developers confirmed as much with the following quote:
    How will the social engine work on the Megaserver? Will players be able to choose multiple options, including preferred language, roleplaying and so forth?

Things can change during game development, and this was one such feature that has evolved over time.

and later on in the answer:
    Over time we will be adding more features to the social engine so that you can further refine the types of people you want to be placed into the world with.

You can find the source here.

• Gaudrath
    Gaudrath
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that the current phasing system is poor. Especially for roleplayers, which is ironic considering devs stated multiple times ESO is RPG first MMO second.

Roleplayers need dependable, consistent phasing to do their thing. It just does not fly when people you RP-ed with in the town square get phased out when you enter a tavern for a few drinks. Or the next day. Or a week after that. With no direct control over phasing, we are at the mercy of some hidden algorithm deciding who we can and can't play with.

So if nothing else they need to put that RP option back in and make it take a priority over anything else. Or remove the guild member cap so all RPers can be in one giant mega guild. I don't know of any other way to resolve that issue. Well, except Cyrodiil, but it would be nice to be able to RP consistently in other provinces as well.