The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

MagDK (Tanky) for Battlegrounds

Noldornir
Noldornir
✭✭✭
Hello everyone,

i'm working on a build of a magDK with 5-1-1 (5= hvy) with S&B and... well that's the point: i rdk! I'm green in pvp builds and can't fetch information that are not in contrast each other.

I could go:

Destro+S&B
Dual Wield+S&B
2h+S&B

here's all the pros i got so far (but some might be from outdated informations)

Destro= + Ranged Attacks, + Recover Magicka (HA)
Dual Wield= + Double Enchant/Trait, this would allow me to go infused/power (almost 100% uptime) glyph and nirn/any other enchant i fancy + 5% damage bonus (using swords)
2h= + weapon damage + 5% damage from passive + follow up could be used for HA+any other hard hitting attack

Considering my backbar (S&B) is NOT going to be used often (i keep my buffs there mainly) i would prefer not to rely on it to rely on it for power glyph (or i would have to swap every 3 attack or so and then hit again with a low hitting damage sword) so the dual wield looks to be the better logical choiche.

I also red something around (not very well explained) that said something like "dual wield does not give spellpower anymore" but probably it's due to some passive that changed (AFAIK any weapon gives X weapon/spell power where X= weapon damage).

So, in general, in order to boost damage would it be better

Destro (i'd prefer some more magical warrior setup tho)

DW= a double enchant/trait will make up for anything (you will have a lower base stat)

2H= raw power will make up for the missing enchant/trait (it also looks SO cool)

could u also please tell me which enchant to give up in case of 2H/destro? Should i stick to infused/power or maybe nirn/power or again nirn/any damage glyph of choiche (i'd say fire to proc more burning n get more magicka)?

Thanks in advance for the tips
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Using Destro Staff + Elemental Drain seems really popular with Mag DK right now. A Flame Staff will also provide +8% single target damage through the Ancient Knowledge passive, while 2x Swords with Dual Wield will be +5% total (which does affect AOE as well). It's also worth noting that Ancient Knowledge for staves requires a Destruction Staff ability to be slotted, whereas the DW passive just needs weapons equipped.

The only way I see 2h being useful for Magicka builds is if you're running Forward Momentum. But given the Stamina cost + duration of that skill, and the ability to use your wings for the same purpose, I wouldn't think that it's worth it.

Also, I'm not fully convinced that heavy armor is the way to go for any offensive Magicka setup. You lose substantial penetration, sustain, and spell critical, and there aren't any particularly good heavy sets available for Magicka damage output (maybe Rattlecage would be worthwhile on some builds?) You can use the Protective trait on your jewelry to help bump up resists, but actually being tanky vs most Stam builds now just isn't a thing, except perhaps for some really defensive Templar builds.
  • Noldornir
    Noldornir
    ✭✭✭
    I know that the best thing for going pure offensive is Destro+LS (which turns ancient knowledge on) and fix a little mDK sustain issues yet i want to stay tanky (i usually play with a team so it's ok to loose some DPS but being able to control the field/survive).

At the moment i'm using Innate Axiom (crafted) + Elf Bane + Zaan but could swap for a lot of things (i'd rather have a war maiden than Axiom and still considering the combination Elf Bane+Zaan tbh since the former shines only if paired with zaan since a proc of zaan+timed stun+soul assault). Also i've found out that many ppl (stam especially) try to endure zaan instead of running away and the moment they realize zaan is NOT ending it's just too late (the 2 extra seconds gets really strong)

I could also swap zaan for grothdar/valkyn/pretty much any other monster set.

Should i change Monsteer set i'd probably change Elf Bane as well (not much use to increase ember claw duration since usually i just recast it) and a Julianos would be better (or maybe Axiom+War Maiden gives less critical but higher base damage)

But, for the moment, weapon choiche is the only issue (i'll test all sets combinations i can craft/drop once fixed).

All of this 'cause i decided to use my main (which is a DK tank) even in BG and i want to be able to do it just by swapping gear so I have only a lil points in max magicka (only using magika glyphs instead of tristat makes up for this more or less).

With 1-2 jewels magicka recovery glyph i can sustain pretty well thanks to combustion+HA passive+altmer+vampire.

By using class skills only I can pick up any kind of weapon i'm just wondering if it's better 2h/DW/Destro in terms of raw spell power (FM is not what i need as u stated, i'm DK and got wings)

In this build Rattlecage COULD be viable if u ask me since it would free up a skill slot for entropy and also nets 358 SD and it's one of those sets i'm considering.

But again i'd need to know which pieces to drop for
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    War Maiden only works on skills that are specifically labeled "Magic Damage" (which is probably only Entropy for you), rather than everything that's considered a spell - easily confusing if you're used to other MMOs.

If you're good about weaving light attacks in melee range, I guess Dual Wield could be pretty strong. You'll get a lower modifier on damage done than you would with a Fire Staff (assuming you actually have a Desto Staff ability on your bar), but 2 full strength enchants may make up for it.

'Course, if you are going to be able to fit in a Destro Staff ability, it may be worth looking at taking a damage hit and using an Ice Staff, as the snare and root procs are quite strong in some situations (honestly, the root procs probably need a bit of a nerf, especially with a Frost Enchant and/or the Charged trait). A Mag DK "Fire and Ice" sort of setup is particularly annoying for my Magicka Warden, since both roots and fire damage (Stage 4 Vampire most of the time) are rough to deal with...especially with wings on top of it all.

What's best overall I can't really say, and could depend somewhat on the team you're playing with. I do think that 2h is the worst option presented, though. You don't get ranged light/heavy attacks, can't restore magicka with heavies, don't get 2x enchants, and don't really gain much in the way of passives other than the +5% damage (which is matched by DW).
  • Noldornir
    Noldornir
    ✭✭✭
    wheem_ESO wrote: »
    War Maiden only works on skills that are specifically labeled "Magic Damage" (which is probably only Entropy for you), rather than everything that's considered a spell - easily confusing if you're used to other MMOs.

Thanks for sharing this info! I tought it affected any sort of magic (magic-lightning-fire-ice) and yes I only use Entropy
    If you're good about weaving light attacks in melee range, I guess Dual Wield could be pretty strong. You'll get a lower modifier on damage done than you would with a Fire Staff (assuming you actually have a Desto Staff ability on your bar), but 2 full strength enchants may make up for it.

I am and mainly the double enchant/trait is intriguing me mostly; considering HA i could put an absorb magicka/nirn (or sharpened maybe, gotta check my overall pen. first: i'm using an infused/crushing sword on my s&b bar and i do puncture for the group, even tanks/healbots feels pain after an enchanted puncture especially in a teamfight) sword along with an infused/weapon-spell damage

'Course, if you are going to be able to fit in a Destro Staff ability, it may be worth looking at taking a damage hit and using an Ice Staff, as the snare and root procs are quite strong in some situations (honestly, the root procs probably need a bit of a nerf, especially with a Frost Enchant and/or the Charged trait). A Mag DK "Fire and Ice" sort of setup is particularly annoying for my Magicka Warden, since both roots and fire damage (Stage 4 Vampire most of the time) are rough to deal with...especially with wings on top of it all.

TBH my first test was with mael ice staff (if it's not the best weekly reward of all...) but it's a bit overdoing (I use chains which stuns, talons, shield charge etc.) i could swap back for it (i admit eye of the storm/elemental rage is SO cool but can't cast it too much, DKs needs cheap ultis to sustain better and that costs a lot)
    What's best overall I can't really say, and could depend somewhat on the team you're playing with. I do think that 2h is the worst option presented, though. You don't get ranged light/heavy attacks, can't restore magicka with heavies, don't get 2x enchants, and don't really gain much in the way of passives other than the +5% damage (which is matched by DW).

Part in bold is helping a lot, this build i want to make is not aiming to be the best ever (or i'd go light 5-1-1 + firestaff) basically i'm taking my PvE tank (with a lot of points in health n stam) and trying to make it viable just by swapping gear/sets for BGs.

I'll try DW then after some checkings on total pen etc. to decide which trait to use in mainbar (sharp or nirn) TY again for suggestions