The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

DPS question about Barswapping

kylewwefan
kylewwefan
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Maelstrom bow back bar, Hundings Daggers Front. Monster set off for consistency on this little test of endless hail. Just testing one skill Endless hail.

Bow bar = 6500 DPS

Cast skill then Barswap to DW= 5500 DPS

I was thinking the damage should go up because of making the Hundings Active on barswap. Why is it go down?
  • Asmael
    Asmael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The maelstrom bow's first tick of Endless Hail needs to be on your bow bar to benefit from the enchant. Only then can you swap.
    PC EU - Zahraji of the Void, aka "Kitty", the fluffiest salmon genocider in town.
    Poke @AsmaeI (last letter is uppercase "i") on PC EU or Asmael#9325 on Discord and receive a meow today.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Crit luck?
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Bladerunner1
    Bladerunner1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Asmael wrote: »
    The maelstrom bow's first tick of Endless Hail needs to be on your bow bar to benefit from the enchant. Only then can you swap.

Yes. This. They recently made it so the enchantment of the bow isn't forgotten if you swap before the first ticks of damage but the set bonus can still be forgotten. You have to have the bow in hand for a few seconds before swapping.

So on a slightly related topic you can't reliably use a Relequen front bar bow or any Relequen front bar weapon without having the Maelstrom bow losing its Maelstromness.
    Edited by Bladerunner1 on November 28, 2018 10:47PM
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Bingo. This is why people put Hail early in their back bar rotation. Ideally you would want to swap cancel it because the animation is horrendous, but you cant. Most high end stam players actually swap cancel PI so the first tick gets buffed by your front bar, as its one of your stronger ST dots. Personally, I like to cancel caltrops because like hail, the animation is a long, but I think if you are really on your game, you are better offing swap canceling PI.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on November 28, 2018 11:25PM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This. However, how many ticks of each is OP comparing. Small sample sizes are easily thrown off by crits.
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You know, that’s probably what it is. I swapped quick to see as best I could how much difference it makes with the Hundings getting active. Diddnt really figure the special features not getting activated
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My issue is that I get locked in animation when I bar swap and I have to block cancel it to be able to use any abilities.
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Narvuntien wrote: »
    My issue is that I get locked in animation when I bar swap and I have to block cancel it to be able to use any abilities.

yes..this...or the weapon graphic sticks and it looks like you have bow on front bar or visa-versa...can be a tad confusing at times (for us old farts!)