The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Does character height infuence hit detection?

Casul
Casul
✭✭✭✭✭
For example I have a Argonian warden that is average height and weight, but I now made a bosmer stamblade that is the shortest and skinniest that she can be.

Due to her shorter height and overall smaller appearance does she have a smaller hit box?
Edited by Casul on November 27, 2018 2:37PM
PvP needs more love.
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this is correct however I don't recall if any testing has ever been done here.
    This is assumed with most mmo's/games however.
    Member of:
    Fantasia - osh kosh b-josh
    Just Chill - Crown's house
    GoldCloaks - Durruthy test server penga
    Small Meme Guild - Mano's house

Former member of:
    Legend - Siffer fan boy club
    TKO (tamriel knight's order) - free bks
    Deviance - Leonard's senche tiger
    Purple - hamNchz is my hero
    Eight Divines - myrlifax stop playing final fantasy
    WKB (we kill bosses) - turd where you go?
    Arcance Council - Klytz Kommander
    World Boss - Mike & Chewy gone EP
    M12 (majestic twelve) - cult of the loli zerg
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is why I used female characters and things like gnomes/goblins etc for years. Be it COD, WoW, or whatever that required targetting.

It was true on all of those games but they had much smaller hit boxes than ESO, so I'm not sure if ESO are fixed height/width.

Test it, shouldn't take too long - High Elf and a Bosmer
    Edited by BNOC on November 27, 2018 3:42PM
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
  • Casul
    Casul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BNOC wrote: »
    This is why I used female characters and things like gnomes/goblins etc for years. Be it COD, WoW, or whatever that required targetting.

It was true on all of those games but they had much smaller hit boxes than ESO, so I'm sure if ESO are fixed height/width.

I was just curious because I originally made my bosmer tiny to make the fact that she uses a giant 2H axe funnier. But then I was standing next to a high elf and was like “holy crap I’m not even past their shoulders..”

Which then lead to my thoughts about hitbox.
    PvP needs more love.
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BuildMan wrote: »

It was true on all of those games but they had much smaller hit boxes than ESO, so I'm sure if ESO are fixed height/width.

I was just curious because I originally made my bosmer tiny to make the fact that she uses a giant 2H axe funnier. But then I was standing next to a high elf and was like “holy crap I’m not even past their shoulders..”

Which then lead to my thoughts about hitbox.

I would assume so. On WoW specifically, it was always harder to target a gnome (mouse clicking, so can imagine controller would have been even harder) especially when they were muddled underneath other characters - I would guess that with ESO targetting, nameplates will at least be affected by that player-stacking situation (with favour to smaller characters of course) if not all.
    Edited by BNOC on November 27, 2018 3:52PM

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This has been true ever since GoldenEye with oddball/jaws ;)
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't heard that hit boxes change (and honestly, with lag I don't think it would matter anyways). However, it does affect the depth you can go into water before your character enters a swimming animation. Taller characters can fight in deeper water.
  • Casul
    Casul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't heard that hit boxes change (and honestly, with lag I don't think it would matter anyways). However, it does affect the depth you can go into water before your character enters a swimming animation. Taller characters can fight in deeper water.

That’s so fascinating, have an insightful!
    PvP needs more love.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No one has an issue hitting my petite little Breton Sorcerer. She is my smallest character.

Here is one way to look at it, if it was true that smaller characters have smaller hit boxes, then every min maxer out there would tell you to roll the shortest possible character. I dont see anyone doing that. Of course, the min maxers may be missing something.

@Alcast what say you with regards to this question?
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m not sure about the size of your hit box for single target abilities, if someone is aiming relatively near you the attack will hit.

For AoEs I think it can make a very slight difference. In places like vAS where there are red circles all over the place, a sliver sized safe zone feels easier to fit into on a small character than a large one. For those situations where you have one toe in an AoE and die, it helps to have smaller toes.

I also think that in PVP you are harder to see behind obstacles if you are small, like hiding behind a rock or a wall.
  • Mrsinister2
    Mrsinister2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For example I have a Argonian warden that is average height and weight, but I now made a bosmer stamblade that is the shortest and skinniest that she can be.

Due to her shorter height and overall smaller appearance does she have a smaller hit box?

Bosmer have reduced stealth detection passive thats why there harder to detect it has nothing it do with character size.
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Due to her shorter
    height and overall smaller appearance does she have a smaller hit box?

Bosmer have reduced stealth detection passive thats why there harder to detect it has nothing it do with character size.

Answering the wrong question friend.

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
  • Casul
    Casul
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Due to her shorter

Yes, I am aware of the stealth detection, that is not what I am referencing. I am asking about the actual hitbox of your character. Like how the size of your character influences how you are targeted.

Like what I mean really originates from the new targeting system of dizzying swing. If I am smaller, does that make the targeting area of my character model smaller as well?
    PvP needs more love.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is a certain amount of line-of-sight involved, but I think it's fairly standardized when crouched.

Don't use vertical as your judge anyway, as a lot of code checks in this game don't even look at the Z axis at all.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Years ago I had heard they all have the same hit box
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Joosef_Kivikilpi
    Joosef_Kivikilpi
    ✭✭✭✭

When I first played on PC at release, I had a Wood Elf at shortest and skinniest limit... I could hide behind so many walls and rocks that my buddies would always get detected from (when trying to re-enter stealth) - the alliance logo above head is in accordance to height of character to my knowledge, so being short gave just a slight difference to that logo sticking above rocks and walls and so forth.
  • Mrsinister2
    Mrsinister2
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Due to her shorter

Lol whoops I shouldn't post that early til I've had my coffee.
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol anyone else play oddjob in goldeneye and run around in crouch shooting people? Making people have to aim down and *** lol.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I leveled the tiniest possible Bosmer from level 10 to VR16 exclusively in Cyrodiil.

Although i never specifically tested for hitbox size, anecdotally speaking i'm pretty sure the hitbox matches the overall character size.

Her eye height matches up with Lyris Titanborn's belly button ....
    biggrin.gif
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doubt it, since the game basically auto aims projectiles at whatever you’re looking at. If it worked more like fps then it would.
  • Casul
    Casul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doubt it, since the game basically auto aims projectiles at whatever you’re looking at. If it worked more like fps then it would.

What about for channels like dizzying swing, snipe, crystal blast?
    PvP needs more love.
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What about for channels like dizzying swing, snipe, crystal blast?

Still need a target. Only scenario I can see height playing a role is if you happened to free aim the ability like with a heavy attack. But if I recall the game will still auto target whoever you look at. Perhaps skills like sweeps in certain scenarios?
  • IronWooshu
    IronWooshu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never understood why people say WOW characters had different hit boxes when the combat system is largely tab targeting which makes attacking a target very easy no matter size. Even mousing over a target to click them was relatively easy because once they were targeted all you had to do was push 1, 2, 3, 4 or whatever your skill keybinds were and you would attack without having to aim. Even now most games with combat systems like ESO and FPS now use some form of aim assist to help you hit targets.

Games like Goldeneye back in the day was the true definition of different hit boxes when when we would ban Odd Job and the female characters and the aim assist was very limited.

However in combat with ESO if you make a very small character and they are fast, it does makes it harder for me to target and hit you because I have to constantly move while looking down but as for width, I don't think it matters in this game like many other games these days because I still hit enemies even when I'm slighting off left or right of my target.

I could be wrong, just my opinion.
  • Alcast
    Alcast
    Class Representative
    @Nestor

I FEEL like character size matters, as it makes it harder to track small characters. Is it really the case, unsure but could definitely be tested if the hitbox is really smaller.

Same with Target Skeleton Polymorph, I feel like the animations transition smoother then with a normal character, but might just be superstition. And you also get better FPS because the target skeleton only has a"once piece outfit" to load.
    Edited by Alcast on November 28, 2018 10:05AM
    https://alcasthq.com - Alcasthq.com Builds & Guides
    https://eso-hub.com - ESO-Hub.com Sets, Skills, Guides & News
    https://dwemerautomaton.com - Discord, Telegram & Twitch Command Bot

• Stigant
    Stigant
    ✭✭✭✭
    Im pretty sure size of your character does not effect the size of hitbox... before giving us the white outline on TAB target, ESO showed the hitbox of other player characters in cyrodiil by showing corners of hitbox on TABed target in 2D. And as far as si remember, the were all the same size.
  • Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm i guess this explains why i take too much damage. Because I have the highest and most muscular high elf and my gear(mostly chest, head and shoulders) adds to that height and weight considerebly.
    Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]
  • Donny_Vito
    Donny_Vito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope it doesn't. Because then the height/size would need to be applied to other aspects of the game, too. A bigger, sturdier character should have more health/resistances than a short, thin character.
  • Thrasher91604
    Thrasher91604
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If this is the case, then the smaller characters should do less damage as well.
  • Kram8ion
    Kram8ion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then what about smaller cones of damage?
    Uh oh mind blown :o
    ps4eu
    Kramm stam man kittyblade

• SHADOW2KK
    SHADOW2KK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No, height means nothing, when all you do it tab target anyway.
    Once I was a lamb, playing in a green field. Then the wolves came. Now I am an eagle and I fly in a different universe.

Been taking heads since TeS 3 Morrowind..

Been enjoying PvP tears since 2014

LvL 50 - Dragon Knight EP [PC-EU] = Illuvutar = Ex The Wabbajack = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Legendary Blades = Evil Ninja/Dueller = (StamBlade)
    LvL 50 - Sorcerer DC [PC-EU] = Daemon Lord = (Mag Sorc)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Khal-Bladez = (Mag DK)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Tenakha Khan = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Templar DC [PC-EU]] = Blades The Disgruntled = (Stamplar)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Ghost Blades = (Assassin)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Malekith The Shadow = (Mag NB)
    LvL 50 - Warden DC [PC-EU] = Crimson Blades = (Stamden)

Guild Master of The Bringers Of The Storm.
    Harrods

Member Of The Old Guard
    PC Closed Betas 2013

PC Mastah Race

Anook Page anook.com/shadow2kk

Been playing since Beta and Early Access