The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Struggling with Rotation - Low DPS

danielclarkb16_ESO
danielclarkb16_ESO
✭✭✭
Hi guys,

So I have a bit of a problem at the moment where my DPS is just nowhere near where it should be. I'm running an Argonian magblade currently at 400cp and I've tried a couple of different builds now but I'm still struggling a little. My first build, I followed an Alcast guide but upon testing on a target dummy I was only hitting around 7-10k DPS. I'm not sure if it was my rotation that was the problem or if I was doing something else wrong. The only other thing I could think of beyond rotation, was that I wasn't using any form of potion, which brings me on to my next question...

In terms of popping a potion, how do you guys fit this in to your rotation, do you just pop one at the start of a fight or do you pop them mid way through during a fight too? Also, when I was testing on the target dummy, would the fact I wasnt using a potion account for a 5-10k DPS loss?

I'm now using this build http://fearturbo.com/t2-magnb/ but with 5 piece Julianos and 5 piece Spinners Garments - would the gear I'm using also amount to that massive loss in DPS?

Some pointers in the right direction would be appreciated.
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi guys,

So I have a bit of a problem at the moment where my DPS is just nowhere near where it should be. I'm running an Argonian magblade currently at 400cp and I've tried a couple of different builds now but I'm still struggling a little. My first build, I followed an Alcast guide but upon testing on a target dummy I was only hitting around 7-10k DPS. I'm not sure if it was my rotation that was the problem or if I was doing something else wrong. The only other thing I could think of beyond rotation, was that I wasn't using any form of potion, which brings me on to my next question...

In terms of popping a potion, how do you guys fit this in to your rotation, do you just pop one at the start of a fight or do you pop them mid way through during a fight too? Also, when I was testing on the target dummy, would the fact I wasnt using a potion account for a 5-10k DPS loss?

I'm now using this build http://fearturbo.com/t2-magnb/ but with 5 piece Julianos and 5 piece Spinners Garments - would the gear I'm using also amount to that massive loss in DPS?

DPS all comes from your rotation (well like 80% from it), at CP400 you should easily be able to break 20k, probably getting up to mid 30k range with a perfect rotation and optimal gear.

Potions you want to pop them on cooldown or very close to, reasoning is they last for 42 seconds & with Alchemy Medicinal Use the buffs last 47 seconds, so you get a 5 second window to pop another one. They are a massive source of DPS through 20% spell damage, 10% crit and a load of sustain from a burst of magicka, as well as 20% magicka regen.

Rotation wise you should be light attack weaving every skill, both Alcast and T3hasiangod have decent tutorials on their youtube channels. The basics of this is doing LA then immediately doing a skill as soon as the LA starts to fire, this is possible as they are both on different cooldowns, light attacks being 0.7 seconds and skills being 1 second. So you can effectively either smash skills and do 1 hit every 1 second, or weave skills and at the top end do a light attack and a skill every 1.1 second.

As for rotations, on PC the best to start from is Alcast, he lists nice easy beginner rotations, top end you have people like Liko, Seb, LZH and a couple others. If you want a static rotation look up Novaris, he's a console player so rotations are 1 line basics and up to 3 line advanced ones.

Gear wise the best are:
    Monster: Zaan > Valkyn > Ilambris/Grothdaar
    Body/Weapons: Siroria > Spell Stratigist > Mother's Sorrow > Burning Spellweave > Scathing Mage > Julianos > Mechanical Acuity

Traits
    Infused Head/Chest/Legs with divines Hands/Feet/Belt. Jewellery any blend of Arcane or Bloodthirsty. All armour Max Mag enchants, all jewellery spell damage enchants.

Mundus will be Thief, unless you run Mechanical Acuity then run Apprentice.

Bar setups:
    Best damage
    Impale, Force Pulse/Elemental Weapon, Crippling Grasp, Merciless Resolve, Inner Light, Destro Ult
    Blockade, Twisting Path, Shield (in Solo tests this will be ele drain), Siphoning, Trap/Acceleration, Soul harvest ult

Healing
    Impale, Swallow Soul, Refreshing Path, Merciless Resolve, Inner Light, Destro Ult
    Blockade, Crippling Grasp, Shield, Siphoning, Trap/Acceleration, Soul Harvest ult
    On this setup you can also swap Path and Shield around.

Hope this helps :)

EDIT: Adding my rotation to this, you can also just repeat the first line of it and over cast path
    MagBlade
    Cripple > Swap > la > Blockade > la > Path > Swap > 5 skills
    Cripple > Swap > la > Blockade > Swap > 3 skills > Swap > la > Path > Swap > 1 skill
    Cripple > Swap > la > Blockade > 6 skills

Skills consist of: Bow proc, Merciless Resolve, Elemental Weapon/Impale, Siphoning Strikes, Ultimate
    Edited by Sparr0w on November 21, 2018 9:31AM
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • danielclarkb16_ESO
    danielclarkb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Sparr0w wrote: »
    Hi guys,

DPS all comes from your rotation (well like 80% from it), at CP400 you should easily be able to break 20k, probably getting up to mid 30k range with a perfect rotation and optimal gear.

Potions you want to pop them on cooldown or very close to, reasoning is they last for 42 seconds & with Alchemy Medicinal Use the buffs last 47 seconds, so you get a 5 second window to pop another one. They are a massive source of DPS through 20% spell damage, 10% crit and a load of sustain from a burst of magicka, as well as 20% magicka regen.

Rotation wise you should be light attack weaving every skill, both Alcast and T3hasiangod have decent tutorials on their youtube channels. The basics of this is doing LA then immediately doing a skill as soon as the LA starts to fire, this is possible as they are both on different cooldowns, light attacks being 0.7 seconds and skills being 1 second. So you can effectively either smash skills and do 1 hit every 1 second, or weave skills and at the top end do a light attack and a skill every 1.1 second.

As for rotations, on PC the best to start from is Alcast, he lists nice easy beginner rotations, top end you have people like Liko, Seb, LZH and a couple others. If you want a static rotation look up Novaris, he's a console player so rotations are 1 line basics and up to 3 line advanced ones.

Gear wise the best are:
    Monster: Zaan > Valkyn > Ilambris/Grothdaar
    Body/Weapons: Siroria > Spell Stratigist > Mother's Sorrow > Burning Spellweave > Scathing Mage > Julianos > Mechanical Acuity

Traits
    Infused Head/Chest/Legs with divines Hands/Feet/Belt. Jewellery any blend of Arcane or Bloodthirsty. All armour Max Mag enchants, all jewellery spell damage enchants.

Mundus will be Thief, unless you run Mechanical Acuity then run Apprentice.

Bar setups:
    Best damage
    Impale, Force Pulse/Elemental Weapon, Crippling Grasp, Merciless Resolve, Inner Light, Destro Ult
    Blockade, Twisting Path, Shield (in Solo tests this will be ele drain), Siphoning, Trap/Acceleration, Soul harvest ult

Healing
    Impale, Swallow Soul, Refreshing Path, Merciless Resolve, Inner Light, Destro Ult
    Blockade, Crippling Grasp, Shield, Siphoning, Trap/Acceleration, Soul Harvest ult
    On this setup you can also swap Path and Shield around.

Hope this helps :)

EDIT: Adding my rotation to this, you can also just repeat the first line of it and over cast path
    MagBlade
    Cripple > Swap > la > Blockade > la > Path > Swap > 5 skills
    Cripple > Swap > la > Blockade > Swap > 3 skills > Swap > la > Path > Swap > 1 skill
    Cripple > Swap > la > Blockade > 6 skills

Skills consist of: Bow proc, Merciless Resolve, Elemental Weapon/Impale, Siphoning Strikes, Ultimate

Thanks for your help mate, appreciate it! I'll give all that a go and see how I get on!