The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Runescape eso.

Unit117
Unit117
✭✭✭✭✭
I feel eso could take a lot of simple things from runescape and really improve thier game.

Leveling up skills. Eso could really make the game A lot more interesting to players by creating skillines with missions that need certain levels in things like woodcutting, fishing, cooking, crafting, etc.. to do certain quests throughout the world with special guilds that offer ingredient and such to players with high levels. It adds a new level of grind but also makes the grinds more interesting and personal with something to work towards. We should also up the ways to fish and make diffrent kinds of fish matter instead of everything is just fish. It makes them more significant and interesting to fishers and chefs. Same with cooking. Can we move past just a fire? And have meaningful ingredients and recipes that require things like a mill or a oven or a fire? It really makes all the difference. All skillines should be bumped up to 100 providing more advanced things with a expontional level up growth. Anyone can get to 50 now. Getting to 100 would really mean something and people can’t really buy into as it could cost 100s of millions of gold to do in one skilline. It would actually mean something for people that earn it and the extra 50 could be full of things that makes being crafters taken more seriously.

Random events. We have no random events or encounters. Runescape you will have someone send you on a mini mission or random mini game that gives pretty decent random prizes. They are fun to do. We could have something similar.

Social spots- runescape has hot social areas one is the party room. There you and everyone can put whatever random stuff in a chest you want. When someone pulls the lever. A bunch of balloons fall around the room. Some have the diffrent items. People go crazy trying to pop the balloons and win prizes that other players put in. Things like this would be fun.

Rework mining. Set things like mining around quarry’s or rocky areas in set areas of mining camps. It allows people who like to mine meet up and turn it into more of a social area for them instead of it just being ransoms things along a path. I really enjoyed it in runscape and it would be a nice change.

Set level zones- can we bring back diffrent zones have diffrent strengths? Ones you hit champion points all overland content becomes a joke. Provide huge overland content areas that as you go further in require even 810s to need to travel in groups to beat the monsters. People with champion points like to play overland content too.. I think this one thing has absolutely butchered a lot of the replay value of the game.l when they changed it. Return the zones to set levels. It’s good for a mmo to have areas I can’t beat and need to run away to work towards or risk my life to speed through. There’s some adrenaline and reward in it.

Better quests throughout the land. Tameriel is full of the supernatural but a lot of its quests are repetive and not memorable. Compare them to oldschool RuneScape people will remember the quests years later. Stop playing it safe. Make some of the odd or funny and our dialougue options have meaning. Make the mysteries better instead of “oh turn these pillars again” the haunted house with earnest the chicken is a great example of making a fun puzzle mission. Whacky missions are great.

Wilderness zone. Create one where it’s pvp/pve wher if you die. The person who kills you can loot you. You get to keep certain items on you but the killer can take everything else. You have to wayshrine out of the area if you die and can’t respawn.

Better use of towns. Make towns better. Haircut parlors, instead of it all being in collections where we can can also recolor our fair and beards. General stores With desplayed goods. Instead of making the crown store menu. Make a exotic pet shop, stable houses, jewelry stores, furniture stores and outfit parlors. Along with a back ally gambing shop for crowncrates. Stores are absolutely useless in eso but meansomething in runescape. Things like window shopping and having actual shops matter to players and gives them stuff to windowshop through and makes them look a lot more interesting to actually see and buy.

Diverse areas. I feel runescape did really good at this but eso is lacking and can feel mono tone in a lot of areas. Eso is beautiful no doubt but I feel it really struggles to embrace a areas theme. RuneScapees areas feel totally diffrent and unique even if they are the same biome. The deserts, temporate forests and swamps of tameriel have very little differences as you go through thier diffrent regions. Despite the distance between murkmire and shadowfen. They feel like the exact same place. Does that mean all that era in between is also going to feel like we already went through it when it comes? Really need to expand the artistic vision of each area and make them thier own.

There’s more I can go on about it sure but these were some that I found pretty important and part of why I think there’s such big spaces of people leaving and coming back. We want to love and play the game. But it’s longjevity just isn’t there right now. To hold interest in all it’s content. Oldschool RuneScape has managed to keep a ton of players despite how simple it is because it has a lot of substance to it. I feel like eso has a lot but no real substance to it.

What do y’all think?
Edited by Unit117 on November 20, 2018 10:51PM
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think...you want to play Runescape?
    signing off
  • Unit117
    Unit117
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Acrolas I love runescape but I love eso. I just think there’s a lot eso can take away from the success of runescape to make thier game better. Despite how great eso is. It has a lot of weak points to improve that could retain more of the player base
  • SilverIce58
    SilverIce58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know Runescape has a version with better (debatable) graphics, right?
    PC - NA
    CP 1125
    Veric Blackwood - Breton Magsorc DC
    Xhiak-Qua'cthurus - Argonian Frost Warden EP
    Kujata-qa - Khajiit Magplar AD
    Suunleth-dar - Khajiit Stamblade AD
    Teldryn Antharys - Dunmer Flame DK EP
    Strikes-With-Venom - Argonian Poison DK EP
    Rur'san-ra - Khajiit WW Stamsorc AD
    Ilianos Solinar - Altmer Stamplar AD
    Iscah Silver-Heart - Reachman Magden DC
  • Unit117
    Unit117
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @SilverIce58 yeah I tried alittle bit of it. Was to big of a fan. I still play oldschool occasionally though lol
  • MaxwellC
    MaxwellC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Honestly ESO could and should use a few things that Runescape has done, they've been around for a substanle amount of time too.
    They did some good jobs with PvP by introducing ways (not half measures) that drew people back into the wilderness to participate.

They created plenty of mini-games to further engage players while also making previous items/gear relevant instead of pushing more updates while ignoring gear that has been around since 2015.

In housing you can actually have PvP in your own house while having dungeons with monsters spawning (no items are dropped), traps, and rewards.

The list could go on but there's nothing wrong about stealing a few ideas from Runescape or any game to further improve your own game.
    不動の Steadfast - Unwavering
    XBL Gamer Tag - Maxwell
    XB1 Maxwell Crystal - NA DC CP 800+ Redguard Stamina DK
    XB1 Max Crystal - NA DC CP 800+ Brenton Magicka DK
    PC Maxwell-Crystal - NA DC - CP 200+ Brenton Magicka DK 「Retired」
    Band Camp statements: To state "But this one time I saw X doing X... so that justifies X" Refers to the Band camp statement.
    Coined by Maxwel
    l
  • Stovahkiin
    Stovahkiin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I used to absolutely adore Runescape back in the day, and I totally agree that there are a ton of things that ESO (and most MMOs in general, really) could learn from it. The sheer amount of skills, unique quests and social activities always gave you something to do. I’d love it if ESO implemented some social activities similar to what RS has/had.

One of my biggest issues with eso is that, for me, there’s basically nothing to do other than pvp and questing. There’s so much potential, but very little else can be done unless you enjoy grinding.

(It’s funny that you bring this topic up now, since I just had a conversation about RS with a couple random people in zone chat today)
    Edited by Stovahkiin on November 20, 2018 11:36PM
    Beware the battle cattle, but don't *fear* the battle cattle!
  • Gatviper
    Gatviper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't come me with Runescape. It was great pre-about 2009 and I used to love it. Oldschool Runescape is just a pale shadow of that. If the live Runescape was like it used to be I'd abandon ESO without a second thought in light of all current problems.
    But yes I do agree, ESO could use a lot of what made Runescape get a Golden Joystick back in 2008 or so. I don't think Zeni has a very clear concept of where they want to go with ESO, and are stuck trying (are they even trying?) to balance the game and nerfing everything and their uncle.
    Edited by Gatviper on November 20, 2018 11:43PM
    Life is a ride, like days in a train, cities rush by, like ghosts in the night.
    The rhythm of wheels, time fades away, stations of a journey, destination unknown.
  • Cously
    Cously
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I consider a good MMO the one that has the most amount of activities as possible. ESO lacks a lot on guild dynamics, missions like in BDO would be great or the system they have in Archeage. Fishing skill line and quests awesome also. Houses could use planters where can grow our alchemy ingredients and produce. Map events like the ones in GW2. Pet taming system where we can put our creatures to battle or have a passive bonus like inventory slots, etc (not to be used in pvp).
  • Unit117
    Unit117
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Stovahkiin that’s how I feel too. I hit a point where I don’t really know what I want to do now. It kinda feels like there’s nothing interesting to really do. I didn’t ever get that feeling with runescape because if you were bored doing something. There was always something completely diffrent you could do and it would almost be like you are playing a diffrent game lol
  • Claudman
    Claudman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Set level zones.
    Lacking diverse areas.
    Not a lot of supernatural elements.

Ah, yeah, I too didn't notice the gigantic Planemeld which occured, the many Daedra-related sidequests or the literal Daedric Prince Mainquests which had occured over a sequence of DLCs/Expansions where they tried to take over all of existence.

Sarcasm aside, I think ESO is fine story and landscape wise. There has indeed been diverse landscapes or supernatural stuff in it (if we are discussing the Ebonheart Pact vanilla zones or quests...Ugh! Gross!). The problem occurs over features, in which I agree that ESO could use more features regarding the towns and side activities which aren't simply busy work. Some cute minigames like in GW2 would be nice for ESO or small challenges and stuff.
    Edited by Claudman on November 21, 2018 2:58AM
    Welcome, Moon-and-Star, to this place where destiny is made.

I play healers or DPS often for vet dungeons and trials (NA, CP810+). I play mostly elves or Argonians.
    I primarily play Damage-Based stuff in PvP, but occasionally I'll play something tanky or got the heals.
    I also love gaining more knowledge both metaphysical and mundane regarding TES lore.

I also occasionally role-play, but I prefer playing the game.
  • Zardayne
    Zardayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of the old games had some really fun systems in place. You'd think some of these newer MMOs would have taken some of these ideas and expanded on them after all of these years but they don't unfortunately. Some of those I remember that were fun were:
    • In UO when mining you just found some mountains or mines and began mining. Depending on where you had the chance to mine some rare ores. For wood I used to take a pack mule out and start actually chopping down trees. In my opinion it made it feel "real". One thing I hate about gathering systems nowadays is their just nodes popped up in the middle of nowhere. Hell on PC you can even run add-ons that mark them for you to come back later. Boring..
    • We need more ways to come together as a community and socialize. I'm not talking about hanging out with your clique in your guild either while you ignore the other players around you. In Lord of the Rings online you can play different musical instruments and bands would form and play in the taverns and other places. People would hit the prancing pony and sit in the tavern and hang out. Another thing missing from all of the MMOs I've played in 20 years is mini games. Why havent any of these games added card games, checkers, chess, etc to taverns and other areas of the game. Somewhere a player who ddint want to slay monsters for the night could grab a beer at the house, hit a tavern, and play these games with new people. Perhaps meet new friends..
    • Animal/creature taming-This is one of my favorite things about Ultima Online. The ability to go out and try to tame various creatures. Once you got one tamed you still had the task of keeping it fed to hang onto it.
    • Once again Ultima and it's ability to buy ships and sail around the world. You could fish from your ship, hunt sea serpents, & search of buried treasure. With the technology today they could have some great sea adventures!
    • As mentioned earlier, random events. They've been doing these for years in many MMOs. There is absolutely no reason that 20+ years into the graphical MMO genre that they still have not added to this (GW2 did a fair job). I mean to log in to UO back in the day to have the orcs pouring out of the orc fort terrorizing nearby areas had adventurers everywhere charging into battle.
    • Big,, long term events such as when Asheron's call introduced the shadow invasion and all of a sudden shadow people of various types were all over the world and killing them would drop motes. Over time these motes would be used to forge an awesome Atlan weapon. But that wasn't all. Then there were 4 very hard dungeons spread around the world that had a stone of each element that you could attach into your weapon to do fire, frost, acid, and electricity and these were interchangeable. I mean that was an epic quest! Guess what..you couldnt look on the radar to show you exactly where the quest items and creatures were either. You had to actually look and hunt...

I could go on and on...
    Edited by Zardayne on November 21, 2018 4:03AM
  • ImmortalCX
    ImmortalCX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So many great suggestions. The game just feels so generic. It really does need more development, not just more zones with new voice quests.

There is sonething very negative that happens around cp500. The game is shallow and grindy.
  • AlienatedGoat
    AlienatedGoat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turn your graphics down all the way like my mate did.

Instant Runescape ESO.

Capture.jpg

PC-NA Goat
  • Unit117
    Unit117
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ImmortalCX it really does. You should be feeling better as you progress in a mmo but it really does feel so shallow despite all the content that is in eso. I feel like it’s just throwing out content but it’s always just scratching the surface like there should be more to it