The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Has anyone tried an ice mage for PvE dungeons? My take on a theory build

• Hixtory
    Hixtory
    ✭✭✭✭
    For fun yeah, Mine use Winterborn and Illambris with IA.

IA staff is electric with flame enchant, back bar is VMA ice staff. So basically when illambris procs I deal all 3 types of damage (I like the visuals and the sideeffects of the winterborn proc tbh)

On the not "Just for fun" side, well, Ice staff heavy attack is a taunt, the ice staff doesnt get ANY benefit for DPS for slotting it, that's why I prefer a lighting (buffs aoe damage) front bar, but I get the ice damage from warden skills and WOE.

The ice staff MA does the same thing like the other 2 (considering the useless passive related to DPS)

It wil never be top DPS, but whatever I completed VMA with it, so "it's something"

"Frost Staff reduces the cost of blocking by 30% and increases the amount of damage you block by 20%"
    Edited by Hixtory on November 20, 2018 8:41PM
  • md3788
    md3788
    ✭✭✭
    Hixtory wrote: »

IA staff is electric with flame enchant, back bar is VMA ice staff. So basically when illambris procs I deal all 3 types of damage (I like the visuals and the sideeffects of the winterborn proc tbh)

On the not "Just for fun" side, well, Ice staff heavy attack is a taunt, the ice staff doesnt get ANY benefit for DPS for slotting it, that's why I prefer a lighting (buffs aoe damage) front bar, but I get the ice damage from warden skills and WOE.

The ice staff MA does the same thing like the other 2 (considering the useless passive related to DPS)

It wil never be top DPS, but whatever I completed VMA with it, so "it's something"

"Frost Staff reduces the cost of blocking by 30% and increases the amount of damage you block by 20%"

I like Winterborn and have a full set, but I thought Ysgamor might be a tad better since it's a flat damage and adds crit. As for the taunt, I wouldn't purchase tri-focus. My goal is to just to do, at most, vet dungeons
    vFG1 HM
  • md3788
    md3788
    ✭✭✭
    md3788 wrote: »

I like Winterborn and have a full set, but I thought Ysgamor might be a tad better since it's a flat damage and adds crit. As for the taunt, I wouldn't purchase tri-focus. My goal is to just to do, at most, vet dungeons

Edit: Actually, I don't know why I said that. For a build like this they probably will both work fine since I won't be doing any super hard content. Maybe I will try both and see what I like better
    vFG1 HM
  • Weps
    Weps
    ✭✭✭✭

The problem of Ysgramor is that it's a flat damage that increases what...2 types of attack if you're a warden? Blockade? That's too little tbh, it's not comparable to Sun on a MagDK for instance because that set buffs everything a MagDK does. Ysgramor? If you're a Warden you get maybe 4 skills out of 10. If you're not than it only buffs max 2 skills + light attacks on the ice staff.
    RIP Ysgramor
    PS4 EU - CP 1000+ - EP Loyal

My EU Preciouses
    Aemon Dk | Imperial Dragonknight Tank
    Guari Gaburiefu | PvP Stamplar - Soon PvE tank
    Nadija Zenobia | 45k+ PvE Dk - PvP Leaper
    Naga del Serpente | High Elf Magicka Sorc PVE DPS - Soon tb 2nd crafter
    Azor Ahai V | Dunmer Magicka DK for PVP and Pve
    Jabba D'Cat | Khajiit Stamplar
    Gennarino Auditore | 7k Weapon damage Bosmer Stamblade / Ganking experimental build
    Rina Inbasu | Dunmer Magblade, my bomblade
    Zelgadis Greywords | High Elf Magplar
    Nachael Jordan | Redguard Stamsorc DPS
    Orghuz Diul | StamWar DPS
    This-Will-Buff-If | Argonian Warden Trial Off tank
    Amelia Tesla Sallilune | Breton Magden PvP DD / PvE healer
    Sap-My-Shield | PvP Nooblade, now dead PvE Tank
  • LeHarrt91
    LeHarrt91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah i would not use Ysgramor due to that lack of skills it affects, you could switch it for Winterborn and still use Mothers Sorrow. Winterborn does proc often but only has a 3m radius.
    Or you could just use a generic stat boosting set like Necro, Siroria, Julianos as these sets will affect every skill and heal.
    PS NA 1800+ CP
    Have played all classes.
    Warden Main

• ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I use 2 ice staves and am built as a normal magden otherwise. I use iceheart. Not nearly as good as fire. Dont recommend unless you like ice theme.
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • md3788
    md3788
    ✭✭✭
    LeHarrt91 wrote: »
    Yeah i would not use Ysgramor due to that lack of skills it affects, you could switch it for Winterborn and still use Mothers Sorrow. Winterborn does proc often but only has a 3m radius.
    Or you could just use a generic stat boosting set like Necro, Siroria, Julianos as these sets will affect every skill and heal.

I'd like to go with at least one frost themed set. I can definitely swap Winterborn for Ysgramor
    vFG1 HM
  • LeHarrt91
    LeHarrt91
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like to go with at least one frost themed set. I can definitely swap Winterborn for Ysgramor

Ok no worries. Ive been using Crushing Shock for that little bit of extra Frost Damage and the interrupt is great. Have you considered Ice Comet on the back bar?

PS NA 1800+ CP
    Have played all classes.
    Warden Main

• Zekka
    Zekka
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, iceheart/julianos/winterborn and ice maelstrom staff, my bars are almost the same. Arctic Blast (RIP) used to be in Bird of Prey slot and I use Entropy instead of Netch even if it's objectively worse because I hate the animal whisperer theme that much.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zekka wrote: »
    Yes, iceheart/julianos/winterborn and ice maelstrom staff, my bars are almost the same. Arctic Blast (RIP) used to be in Bird of Prey slot and I use Entropy instead of Netch even if it's objectively worse because I hate the animal whisperer theme that much.

Wow really? The netch is so good!?
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • ccmedaddy
    ccmedaddy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Winterborn+Necropotence is a solid combo for ice magden, both for PvE and PvP. Obviously not meta but there's something so satisfying about locking down multiple enemies in one spot and watch them freeze to death.
  • LeHarrt91
    LeHarrt91
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I turned off the Follower Indicator as i found it disracting lol but i just see it as a Blue Laser Beam :D
    PS NA 1800+ CP
    Have played all classes.
    Warden Main

• Zekka
    Zekka
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know, it also looks ridiculous and ruins my ice mage aesthetics imo. I try to deal damage with ice staves so it's not like I'm trying to minmax lol.

I turned off the Follower Indicator as i found it disracting lol but i just see it as a Blue Laser Beam :D
    Not a bad idea, thanks for the tip.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know, it also looks ridiculous and ruins my ice mage aesthetics imo. I try to deal damage with ice staves so it's not like I'm trying to minmax lol.

I think the BLUE netch saves it for me. Blue really goes with my ice build.
  • Sevn
    Sevn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There's a blue netch? Good to know, always avoided it because the green ruins my ice theme as well.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man, true nobility is being superior to your former self
    -Hemingway
  • LeHarrt91
    LeHarrt91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sevn wrote: »

There's a blue netch? Good to know, always avoided it because the green ruins my ice theme as well.

Yes, the Blue Betty morph, is blue and restores magicka.
    PS NA 1800+ CP
    Have played all classes.
    Warden Main

• ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sevn wrote: »

Yeah im pretty sure most of the magden stuff is blue. Exception of GREEN balance skills. However! Lotus Blossom is blue too! Its a great healing skill.
  • Joosef_Kivikilpi
    Joosef_Kivikilpi
    ✭✭✭✭
    I use winterborn, torugs pact, and ice heart and sometimes Frost vma staff. All cold damage. No crushing shock... Because that does shock and for damage. I use Frost clench instead and impulse. Cold impulse amidst blockade and Winters revenge... it's glorious. I've is too cool. Terrible DPS, but the control is ridiculous.
  • md3788
    md3788
    ✭✭✭
    Terrible DPS, but the control is ridiculous.

How bad are we talking?
    vFG1 HM