The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Can we go back to interesting boss fights

Hixtory
Hixtory
✭✭✭✭
So after a long time ago I went back in to Cradle of Shadows and Ruins of Mazzatun dungeons. These 2 dungeons have some really interesting group mechanics and people are willing to read/listen to them and actually have fun doing them, most fights in these dungeons are group related (as everyone need to pay attention and cooperate) tank bash, DPS must light stuff, position themself properly, kill and go get some stuff or bosses are inmune. The overall experience is everyone must do stuff right or they will wipe.

Now, with SCP, Fang Lair, MOS, MHK there are so many ONE SHOT mechanics that it amazes me you guys at ZOS say you want to make healers more relevant in the game. HOW CAN HEALERS DO THEIR JOB WITH THIS ONE SHOT MECHANICS?, in COS or ROM healers have the chance to keep people alive while they manage to complete mechanics, but in the event people are not familiar with them is a certain wipe as punishment.

This is a formal request to the combat design team to implement some new fun mechanics to the game, even Falkreath and Bloodroot were fun even tho those dungeons were the beginning of the one shot mechanics, still had some good fights in them.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So should be get rid of bosses that ignore taunts so tanks can remain relevant? As a tank, I'm fine with variety. It isn't like the one shot mechanics in SCP are subtle. And healers are pretty helpful when a DPS blocks the stream of fire when it is aimed at the tank.

And SCP has some unique mechanics. Not all one-shots are the same.
  • md3788
    md3788
    ✭✭✭
    Hixtory wrote: »
    So after a long time ago I went back in to Cradle of Shadows and Ruins of Mazzatun dungeons. These 2 dungeons have some really interesting group mechanics and people are willing to read/listen to them and actually have fun doing them, most fights in these dungeons are group related (as everyone need to pay attention and cooperate) tank bash, DPS must light stuff, position themself properly, kill and go get some stuff or bosses are inmune. The overall experience is everyone must do stuff right or they will wipe.

Now, with SCP, Fang Lair, MOS, MHK there are so many ONE SHOT mechanics that it amazes me you guys at ZOS say you want to make healers more relevant in the game. HOW CAN HEALERS DO THEIR JOB WITH THIS ONE SHOT MECHANICS?, in COS or ROM healers have the chance to keep people alive while they manage to complete mechanics, but in the event people are not familiar with them is a certain wipe as punishment.

This is a formal request to the combat design team to implement some new fun mechanics to the game, even Falkreath and Bloodroot were fun even tho those dungeons were the beginning of the one shot mechanics, still had some good fights in them.

I too just revisted vROM yesterday and thought to myself how interesting the mechanics were. I wish there were more like them
    vFG1 HM
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Agreed. And they succeeded in making something difficult yet not frustratingly impossible because of RNG or one-shots. While I wouldn't consider them super-fun, they are mile better than the "thank God its over" feeling of MOS and MHK
  • Hochstapler
    Hochstapler
    ✭✭✭
    Lately I'm tanking the easier Vet dungeons with my 20k HP self healing 30k dps Magblade.
    I can solo them too but its faster with a group.
    If it wasn't for heavy hitting bosses I wouldn't have a reason to play my pimped out Argo DK tank.
    I care about your gaming "problems" and teenage anxieties, just not today.
  • Vildebill
    Vildebill
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Completely agree, some of the new dungeons are so boring compared to shadow of the hist dungeons. Take CoS for example, Velidreth fight. If you miss an atro light you don't die, but you will have a bad time in the dark. Or you get a disgusting blob you don't die but your resources will take a hit. Only thing that oneshots is the pillars from the ground on HM and that mechanic is pretty cool.

Now we're in SP, and you miss some random gargoyle telegraph. Too bad for you, dead! #TriesToMakeHealerRelevantButStillMakesShittyMechanics
    EU PC
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Getting rid of one shots won't all of a sudden make healers relavent. Sorry to burst that bubble. VRoM is a perfect example. Its better to burn the boss faster than deal with the execute phase longer.

Healers are still required in groups that require them. Not everyone is an alcast, not everyone avoids all red circles, not everyone does each mechanic 100%. Tanks vary WIDELY in skill/dmg input.

Veteran Falk hold has no real "one shots" on the final boss <Other than HA from boss>, but in general high dmg output.

Guess what? Tank 3 DPS is still in general better for teams that can deal with the mechanics.
    Edited by karekiz on November 20, 2018 7:38PM
  • Hixtory
    Hixtory
    ✭✭✭✭
    DaveMoeDee wrote: »
    So should be get rid of bosses that ignore taunts so tanks can remain relevant? As a tank, I'm fine with variety. It isn't like the one shot mechanics in SCP are subtle. And healers are pretty helpful when a DPS blocks the stream of fire when it is aimed at the tank.

And SCP has some unique mechanics. Not all one-shots are the same.

SCP last boss has, poison phase, synergies in HM, what can a healer do
    Vildebill wrote: »
    Completely agree, some of the new dungeons are so boring compared to shadow of the hist dungeons. Take CoS for example, Velidreth fight. If you miss an atro light you don't die, but you will have a bad time in the dark. Or you get a disgusting blob you don't die but your resources will take a hit. Only thing that oneshots is the pillars from the ground on HM and that mechanic is pretty cool.

Now we're in SP, and you miss some random gargoyle telegraph. Too bad for you, dead! #TriesToMakeHealerRelevantButStillMakesShittyMechanics

Exactly, even the statue in HM is like "oh ***" when veli WAS (It's freaking bugged still) up there hanging from the ceiling. But it was somehow bearable, like damn I should have shielded/blocked to reduce damage. The one shots is like, "YOU SUCK, PERIOD"

Is frustrating even when you have already done the dungeons HM multiple times
    Edited by Hixtory on November 20, 2018 7:57PM
  • Hixtory
    Hixtory
    ✭✭✭✭
    karekiz wrote: »
    Getting rid of one shots won't all of a sudden make healers relavent. Sorry to burst that bubble. VRoM is a perfect example. Its better to burn the boss faster than deal with the execute phase longer.

Healers are still required in groups that require them. Not everyone is an alcast, not everyone avoids all red circles, not everyone does each mechanic 100%. Tanks vary WIDELY in skill/dmg input.

Veteran Falk hold has no real "one shots" on the final boss <Other than HA from boss>, but in general high dmg output.

Guess what? Tank 3 DPS is still in general better for teams that can deal with the mechanics.

This post is not a call to make healers relevant, thats what ZOS is trying to do.

This post is a petition to ZOS to make mechanics interesting again and get rid of the stupid one shots
    Edited by Hixtory on November 20, 2018 8:02PM