The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Advice for new furniture (and everything else) crafter?

TaliColdwater
TaliColdwater
✭✭✭
I'm finally getting into crafting furniture, but I didn't realize how difficult finding materials would be! I will literally spend 4-5 hours (maybe this is normal though, I really don't know, haha) harvesting and refining wood as well as deconstructing green items and only yield 1 pitch or 2. I have tons of heartwood, so that's not a problem. In game they just suggest buying furniture at guild stores. I have done that, but it eats up my gold. I've never been one to have a lot of gold. Usually I hover around 30K, but lately I'm around 15K. Does anyone have any advice as to how to make my harvesting more productive? Do I need to do more deconstruction? Honestly, crafting of all kinds not just furniture is new to me, so any advice is welcome. :)
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Passives in the crafting skill lines will improve the drop rate of those kinds of materials. Champion Points can also be used to improve your rate of harvesting. So you''ll get it at an increasing rate as you progress. It's only getting started that's a pain.

The hardest part is getting the plans (Diagrams, Praxes, Blueprints, etc.) for the things you actually want. They will be the rare drops. And some furnishings just can't be made at all, and must be purchased from the Crown Store. Like a fire for your fireplace, or books for your shelves.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Furniture crafting is a relatively recent addition to the game. The game had been out for several years on PC before Homestead was introduced. So, many of us had already built up quite a stash of tempers and only had to farm the new furnishing mats.

So, a relatively new player will have a harder time crafting their own furniture. It will take time to build up the necessary mats. But, as the previous poster said, be sure that you have your refining passives maxed out on all your crafts. Also, having the hirelings can help, as at 3/3 you'll get tempers on a regular basis.

This does, of course, require a lot of skill points and the appropriate crafting skill levels.
  • Amadis001
    Amadis001
    ✭✭✭✭
    My solution has been to ramp up my guild store sales as much as possible (currently 50-100K per day) and to plow that gold back into buying the patterns and materials that I need to feed my furnishing addiction. I've spent untold millions at this point on furnishing plans. I have most of the green and blues, but probably only about half the purples. So there's a long way for me to go before I can start banking gold again.
    // Amadis of Gaul -- DK Nord (Lvl 50 CP 1000)
  • TaliColdwater
    TaliColdwater
    ✭✭✭
    ghastley wrote: »
    Passives in the crafting skill lines will improve the drop rate of those kinds of materials. Champion Points can also be used to improve your rate of harvesting. So you''ll get it at an increasing rate as you progress. It's only getting started that's a pain.

The hardest part is getting the plans (Diagrams, Praxes, Blueprints, etc.) for the things you actually want. They will be the rare drops. And some furnishings just can't be made at all, and must be purchased from the Crown Store. Like a fire for your fireplace, or books for your shelves.
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »
    Furniture crafting is a relatively recent addition to the game. The game had been out for several years on PC before Homestead was introduced. So, many of us had already built up quite a stash of tempers and only had to farm the new furnishing mats.

So, a relatively new player will have a harder time crafting their own furniture. It will take time to build up the necessary mats. But, as the previous poster said, be sure that you have your refining passives maxed out on all your crafts. Also, having the hirelings can help, as at 3/3 you'll get tempers on a regular basis.

This does, of course, require a lot of skill points and the appropriate crafting skill levels.
    Amadis001 wrote: »
    My solution has been to ramp up my guild store sales as much as possible (currently 50-100K per day) and to plow that gold back into buying the patterns and materials that I need to feed my furnishing addiction. I've spent untold millions at this point on furnishing plans. I have most of the green and blues, but probably only about half the purples. So there's a long way for me to go before I can start banking gold again.

Thank you everyone for your advice! I'm working on spending skill points on all my passives, and I've gotten more involved in my guild stores. It feels like a slow process, lol, but I'm getting there!
  • bearbelly
    bearbelly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I finally started to put some energy into crafting last week, myself.
    (My first furnishing was a display pumpkin; I'm in the big-time now!)

My main is certified for crafting writs, although I haven't taken the time to do many of those, yet.

I subscribed to ESO+ early-on, so I'd been collecting mats for awhile, and last week I focused on researching the Training trait on every piece of all three armor modes and the weapons that I prefer to use so I could craft Training gear for all of my characters (skill points into the Research passives so you can research two traits at a time within a crafting skill is a big help with that), as well as Improving their gear up to green and blue.

It was in that process that the guild stores managed to seduce me. I couldn't seem to get a dagger with the Training trait to drop, so that was my first guild store purchase, and while I've deconstructed quite a few green and blue items, I've noobly discovered that you can also find tempers (Dwarven Oil, Grain Solvent, Embroidery, etc.) via the guild store.
    The pocketses of all eight of my characters are suddenly very light.

I just newly joined a guild this week, so, being a new member, I haven't yet felt comfortable with putting stuff up for sale in their guild store (I have some extra Hollowjack and Dremora motifs and parts for the apple-bobbing thingy from the Plunder Skulls taking-up storage space), but I do plan on expanding my furniture crafting efforts.
    Edited by bearbelly on November 15, 2018 12:26PM
  • TaliColdwater
    TaliColdwater
    ✭✭✭
    bearbelly wrote: »
    I finally started to put some energy into crafting last week, myself.
    (My first furnishing was a display pumpkin; I'm in the big-time now!)

My main is certified for crafting writs, although I haven't taken the time to do many of those, yet.

I subscribed to ESO+ early-on, so I'd been collecting mats for awhile, and last week I focused on researching the Training trait on every piece of all three armor modes and the weapons that I prefer to use so I could craft Training gear for all of my characters (skill points into the Research passives so you can research two traits at a time within a crafting skill is a big help with that), as well as Improving their gear up to green and blue.

It was in that process that the guild stores managed to seduce me. I couldn't seem to get a dagger with the Training trait to drop, so that was my first guild store purchase, and while I've deconstructed quite a few green and blue items, I've noobly discovered that you can also find tempers (Dwarven Oil, Grain Solvent, Embroidery, etc.) via the guild store.
    The pocketses of all eight of my characters are suddenly very light.

I just newly joined a guild this week, so, being a new member, I haven't yet felt comfortable with putting stuff up for sale in their guild store (I have some extra Hollowjack and Dremora motifs and parts for the apple-bobbing thingy from the Plunder Skulls taking-up storage space), but I do plan on expanding my furniture crafting efforts.

Congrats! I think my first homemade furnishing was a bookcase. I felt so proud of it. I wasted so much gold on buying furnishings from guild stores, and I didn't bother to research prices or see if certain pieces could be found somewhere else cheaper. Now I know a little better, haha.

I do the writs every time I get on because I always have the mats taking up space anyway, and it's easy money. Unfortunately I haven't taken the time to research anything yet. That part has always seemed even more tedious to me. One day I'll try it out, I guess.

I recently discovered people will buy the things that change stuff from purple to gold for decent money. So every now and then when I get some I don't need, I'll put them up for sale at the guild store. It has helped with my gold situation a little. I hadn't been involved in my guilds before, but finally I just decided to jump in. Now I have a lot of listings in the stores, and I try to be more social when they're talking. :) The social aspect of the game is also a process for me. I kinda keep to myself in real life too, lol.
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My take on it is you should not farm for anything that isn't bind on pickup. Do what you like the most, and hopefully you can make gold doing it. If not, figure out what you can do to make the most gold in the shortest time and do that. Then buy what you need.

The game is setup so that most every activity brings you something. Some people will like activities that you don't. So, for example, I have tried to farm for perfect roe. After 20-30min I realize I'd rather poke out my eyes and just buy the darn stuff. There are people on these forums that have completed the fishing achievements on multiple characters.... I just don't even.
  • TaliColdwater
    TaliColdwater
    ✭✭✭
    My take on it is you should not farm for anything that isn't bind on pickup. Do what you like the most, and hopefully you can make gold doing it. If not, figure out what you can do to make the most gold in the shortest time and do that. Then buy what you need.

The game is setup so that most every activity brings you something. Some people will like activities that you don't. So, for example, I have tried to farm for perfect roe. After 20-30min I realize I'd rather poke out my eyes and just buy the darn stuff. There are people on these forums that have completed the fishing achievements on multiple characters.... I just don't even.

I seem to find myself needing pitch the most when crafting furniture since what I like is mostly wooden. So I'm deconstructing all green items I find. If I feel like I need something in that moment or I just don't feel like waiting to get enough pitch on my own, I search a few guild stores for the most reasonably priced pitch.

Yeah, I just cannot seem to get into fishing. I don't know how people do it, but hey, props to them. I can't stand it, lol.