The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Newbie questions about almost everything

The_Daughtir
The_Daughtir
Soul Shriven
Hello I just started this game and I enjoy it very much.
I made a Nightblade with only a bow equipped and I am starting to find it hard to survive at times.

Is it possible to go only bow? or should I make a Nightblade stamina dual wield build and a bow on second bar?

Does anyone know a link to a bow build? (for inspiration mostly)

I want to go stamina build on my main - therefore is it fine to go all leather on armor? and should I just get all the passives on bow, leather, race skills and so forth?

How about the "soul magic" skill line? something I should max out? or is it useless when u are stamina build with the skills? (I am often low on filled soul gems)

I am also a little bit confused of professions, should I just take them all? What does what profession benefit?

Anything else I should think about? there are so many skills and skill lines and I do get a little confused at times.

Just want to make it clear my gameplay is mostly quest driven (I do enjoy being a bit RPish) and ofc. I would like to try the dungeons but not on any hardcore mode (I dont have the time, perhaps in the future with another character and build not my main)

Sorry for all the questions and hope I am not repeating what all others are asking. Feel free to send any links, links to forum or anything else if need be I will read it all.
  • Qualanthar
    Qualanthar
    ✭✭
    Well not a nightblade so can't speak to that part.

Soul magic is the reward you get for doing the main questline of the base game. It helps you with soul shards which are the resurrection mechanic of this game. Want to res in place? Need a full soul shard. Want to res someone else? Need a full soul shard.

For professions, you can have all of them on one character but be aware that you will need a bunch of skill points for crafting alone. Also good to start researching traits as soon as you can as, by the end, you are looking at a month to research each trait.

If you are questing and doing skyshards you'll have enough skill points for a decent build and crafting. I use this guide for where to go:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/413807/what-order-should-i-do-esos-story-arcs-a-guide
  • sharquez
    sharquez
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can go pure bow for overworld adventuring, Delves public dungeons and world bosses. The best thing you can do for yourself for survivability is to do battlegrounds to earn AP to get the premier stamina healing skill in vigor. You will likely get stomped but that's the way it goes. it's a good amount of XP and wont take too long to get the skill. Alternatively you can morph the cloak ability to the healing one not the invisible one and get some survivability out of that.
    At least 3 of each class. PVPing Since IC.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your going to want bow and dual weild combo for your first nightblade. There are other ways, but this is a good first way.

Are you using Blue or Purple food? Hint you need to.

Are you using set items that help Stamina? Do these items have Stamina glyphs?

Passives are inportant, but focus on those after you have gotten most of your actives for class and weapon at least the first stage. I start investing in passives at character level 20 to 30.

Once I have Soul Magic leveled high enough that unlocks the passive to auto fill a gem, I put no points in. Until then, the skillos a decent attack skill, although it is magic. You can buy filled soul gems from players.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• The_Daughtir
    The_Daughtir
    Soul Shriven
    Nestor wrote: »
    Your going to want bow and dual weild combo for your first nightblade. There are other ways, but this is a good first way.

Are you using Blue or Purple food? Hint you need to.

Are you using set items that help Stamina? Do these items have Stamina glyphs?

Passives are inportant, but focus on those after you have gotten most of your actives for class and weapon at least the first stage. I start investing in passives at character level 20 to 30.

Once I have Soul Magic leveled high enough that unlocks the passive to auto fill a gem, I put no points in. Until then, the skillos a decent attack skill, although it is magic. You can buy filled soul gems from players.

Where do I buy the blue purple food and is it very expensive?

I put a lot of health glyphs on my gear is that wrong? and I mostly go for stam or health gear should I focus more on stamina gear and not be worried about my health?

And where do I buy the filled soulgems?
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guild Kiosks sell the food, or ask a guild mate to make you some. There are ones that level with you like Dubious Camoran Throne. You should not have to spend more than a few gold each. If you get a crafter, tip them.

15K to 17K health with a food buff is all you really need for story content. You dont need glyphs for that. In this game, pick Magic or stamina and go all in, including glyphs and attributes. In your case, pick stamina for this character.

You can get the soul gems from the kiosks too. They sell for around 30 gold each. Or should anyway.

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you on PC NA?. If you are, send a en email in game to @Nestor. I can help you out and get you in a couple helpful guilds.

• FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some thoughts:
    • You didn't say what race your nightblade is.
    • Yes, after level 15 you should have a bow on one bar and a melee weapon on the other one, especially while you're still leveling.
    • I like a lot of the dual wield skills. I use Bloodthirst because it heals as it hits. Deadly Cloak is a fire-and-forget that helps in tougher fights. I use Shrouded Daggers more than Steel Tornado. Other people like different ones of the skills. It's a good skill line overall.
    • By way of contrast, 2-handed is good for an archer mainly for Rally.
    • Stamina builds are a lot more pleasant to play if you go to PvP, get your Assault skill line up to Rank 6, and hence have access to the skills Vigor and Caltrops.
    • Blue food that boosts health and stamina is VERY cheap to make. (Less than 5 gold per helping on PC/NA, and a helping lasts an hour.) If you can't find it in guild traders, it would be reasonable to go to zone chat in Vivec City and see if somebody will make it for you.
    • An alternative would be to invest in leveling up the provisioning skill line yourself. However, that would consume a little over 10 skill points and probably over 10,000 gold, and you don't sound like you're ready to enjoy tackling that.
    • Eventually, the skill Reaper's Mark is a great one for nightblades, because it gives multiple benefits including a powerful mid-fight self-heal.
    • Stealing and otherwise stealthing on a stamina nightblade is a lot of fun. It works better at cp 160+, however, because that's when it makes sense to wear dropped armor sets that help (Night Terror/Night Mother's Embrace), and you'll have your medium armor passives maxed out by then. It also consumes a lot of skill points, for passives in Ledgerdemain and Thieves Guild.
  • The_Daughtir
    The_Daughtir
    Soul Shriven
    Some thoughts:
    • Yes, after level 15 you should have a bow on one bar and a melee weapon on the other one, especially while you're still leveling.
    • I like a lot of the dual wield skills. I use Bloodthirst because it heals as it hits. Deadly Cloak is a fire-and-forget that helps in tougher fights. I use Shrouded Daggers more than Steel Tornado. Other people like different ones of the skills. It's a good skill line overall.
    • Stamina builds are a lot more pleasant to play if you go to PvP, get your Assault skill line up to Rank 6, and hence have access to the skills Vigor and Caltrops.
    • Blue food that boosts health and stamina is VERY cheap to make. (Less than 5 gold per helping on PC/NA, and a helping lasts an hour.) If you can't find it in guild traders, it would be reasonable to go to zone chat in Vivec City and see if somebody will make it for you.
    • An alternative would be to invest in leveling up the provisioning skill line yourself. However, that would consume a little over 10 skill points and probably over 10,000 gold, and you don't sound like you're ready to enjoy tackling that.
    • Eventually, the skill Reaper's Mark is a great one for nightblades, because it gives multiple benefits including a powerful mid-fight self-heal.
    • Stealing and otherwise stealthing on a stamina nightblade is a lot of fun. It works better at cp 160+, however, because that's when it makes sense to wear dropped armor sets that help (Night Terror/Night Mother's Embrace), and you'll have your medium armor passives maxed out by then. It also consumes a lot of skill points, for passives in Ledgerdemain and Thieves Guild.

My race is Bosmer/wood elf

Thanks for the answer you have some good points :smile:
  • Golnebo
    Golnebo
    ✭✭✭
    If you are on PC EU, send me a mail or whisper. My in-game handle is the same as on the forums.
    I can craft you some food and some training gear.

I play a NB myself and I enjoy having dual wield on the front bar and bow on the back.

For reference, look at the builds from alcast. He has some beginner guides too. (for example https://alcasthq.com/eso-stamina-nightblade-build-for-pve/#_murkmire)
    PC - EU

{Nemesis the Magnificent} - Wannabe Magician with a nack for accidentally killing everything around him - Aldmeri Dominion High Elf Mastercrafter.
    {Knightmare the Wild} - Fiendish Templar Lady with a must kill attitude - Dunmer by birth - EP by choice.
    {Thinks-he-is-Funny} - Tough EP Argonian Dragon Knight. Drinks his ale in Belkarth - Secretly in love with his battlesister Knightmare the Wild. Battlegrounds King.
    {Son-of-a-Witch} - Confused Nightblade who took up the dark arts of black magic. Literally sits in Mournhold all day doing nothing. Dreams of returning to Dragonstar Arena.
    {Eilalenya Alkinaerith} - Strikingly beautiful High Elf of the Aldmeri Dominion - Seducer of men and elves - Learning the Healer ropes. Heals for fun.
    {Blue Bear-y Pie} - Think-outside-the-box Mastercrafter Warden - Enjoys long walks on the beach - Protector of Tamriel's fauna and wildlife - Breton lady.
    {Neopatra} - Grumpy old Veteran - Wreaks havoc in Cyrodill - loves her grandchildren - Redguard Brute. In case of bad mood she turns into a werewolf.
    {Sneaky little Maraya} - Gorgeous Redguard Bombshell - Evil stamsorc who loves to clear dungeons of monsters.
    {Seven of Nirn} - No-nonsense brutal lady-Orc. Always rambling on about the Covenant. Get with it or get out kinda StamSorcOrc.
    {Reeks-of-Incompetence} - Hangs in the balance DK. Studied to become a dentist. Alcohol made her do nothing all day. Argonian Historian.
    {Doctor Whoops} - Self conscious Sorc . Father to 18 children. None of which are anywhere in sight. Proves shield nerfs wrong. Currently doing vDSA.
    {Daisy Deathbringer} - Foul necromancer that likes to hang at funerals and graveyards. Mostly plays with the dead, does not deal much death.
    {Major Defiler} - Lovely necromancer who likes to study life. Puts the word romance in necromance.
    {Cindiana Jones} - Defected Templar. Very deadly in Battlegrounds. Likes to wander around Cyrodill.
    {Sideskirt Bob} - Nightblade who got his nickname when a lady Nord mentioned his waistline.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some thoughts:

My race is Bosmer/wood elf

Thanks for the answer you have some good points :smile:

Most welcome!

Bosmer is one of the two races that's great for stealth.

It's also generally a race for stamina builds, which is something I wanted to check. For your purposes, it probably doesn't matter whether you have the very "best" race for stamina nightblades, but it's good that you at least have an appropriate one. :)
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hello I just started this game and I enjoy it very much.
    I made a Nightblade with only a bow equipped and I am starting to find it hard to survive at times.

Is it possible to go only bow? or should I make a Nightblade stamina dual wield build and a bow on second bar?

Does anyone know a link to a bow build? (for inspiration mostly)

I want to go stamina build on my main - therefore is it fine to go all leather on armor? and should I just get all the passives on bow, leather, race skills and so forth?

How about the "soul magic" skill line? something I should max out? or is it useless when u are stamina build with the skills? (I am often low on filled soul gems)

I am also a little bit confused of professions, should I just take them all? What does what profession benefit?

Anything else I should think about? there are so many skills and skill lines and I do get a little confused at times.

Just want to make it clear my gameplay is mostly quest driven (I do enjoy being a bit RPish) and ofc. I would like to try the dungeons but not on any hardcore mode (I dont have the time, perhaps in the future with another character and build not my main)

Sorry for all the questions and hope I am not repeating what all others are asking. Feel free to send any links, links to forum or anything else if need be I will read it all.

My main and my first character is a bow/bow NB. It is actually one of my favorite characters to solo with. I use snipe and poison injection for single target normal mobs. For groups i use caltrops( alliance war skill line) and draining shot. Other popular group abilities are arrow spray and endless hail but i am quite efficient with caltrops and draining shot. Draining shot heals you as well.

Starting out if you find yourself struggling with small groups of enemies you can also get the blood alter and vigor skills. Vigor is a skill that can be acquired from alliance war as you rank up to get caltrops. Blood alter is an undaunted skill. Blood alter is a more useful skill to me for beginners. You can place the alter right before you start fighting. It unlocks at undaunted level 1.

You will also want to put a siphoning skill on your bar so you can level that skill line and get leeching strikes which is a morph of the skill siphoning strikes. With leeching strikes active you can spam light attacks and heal yourself .

EDIT:
    Golnebo wrote: »
    If you are on PC EU, send me a mail or whisper. My in-game handle is the same as on the forums.
    I can craft you some food and some training gear.

I play a NB myself and I enjoy having dual wield on the front bar and bow on the back.

For reference, look at the builds from alcast. He has some beginner guides too. (for example https://alcasthq.com/eso-stamina-nightblade-build-for-pve/#_murkmire)

Alcast builds should only be used a very loose guide unless you already know what you are doing. Alcast builds are very task specific builds and for a majority of players not looking for a specialty character( such as end game trials or competitive pvp) they can do more harm than good if followed to the letter. They are good for pointing you in a general direction, but they will have to be adapted to your playstyle and the tasks you are using them for. Most people who use Alcast builds that are not already very good at this game end up struggling greatly with them outside of their intended content.

Edited by Anotherone773 on November 20, 2018 3:21PM
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Actual skills I use on my Bosmer stamblade include but are not limited to:
    • Snipe --> Lethal Arrow, mainly in sneak builds.
    • Volley --> Endless Hail, in all builds.
    • Poison Arrow --> Poison Injection, in damage-optimized builds.
    • Not Bombard any more, but I used to love it when I fought my way through delves and so on rather than sneaking through them.
    • Crushing Weapon (a newish Psijic skill), in most builds, on the bow bar.
    • Flurry --> Bloodthirst, in damage-optimized builds. (I use the self-healing morph rather than the highest-damage one.)
    • Blade Cloak --> Deadly Cloak, in damage-optimized builds, because I use those when I'm fighting the kind of tough enemy who does a lot of AoE damage.
    • Hidden Blade --> Shrouded Daggers in most builds, in part because I don't want to pay for spell power potions.
    • Whirlwind --> Steel Tornado less than I used to, because I can get by with Shrouded Daggers in the few cases Steel Tornado would be better.
    • Not Twin Slashes in either morph, but I'm in the minority there.
    • Grim Focus --> Relentless Focus, in damage-optimized builds.
    • Mark Target --> Reaper's Mark, in most builds.
    • Rapid Manuever --> Retreating Maneuver, in sneak and casual builds.
    • Veiled Strike --> Concealed Weapon, in sneak builds only, which sadly means I can't use Surprise Attack.
    • Shadow Cloak --> Shadowy Disguise, in sneak builds only.
    • Siphoning Strikes --> Leeching Strikes, in most builds.
    • Caltrops --> Razor Caltrops, always.
    • A Vigor morph, always. (I'm using Echoing Vigor right now even though I play almost entirely solo, which doesn't make great sense.)
    Edited by FrancisCrawford on November 20, 2018 3:15PM
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'll probably find that you end up with a bar of weapon skills and a bar of class skills, so the weapon on that other bar makes little difference. It won't be quite that clear, but that's not critical to the point I'm making. You can succeed with bow/bow, but bow/dual gives you more skills to choose from, and those go well together.

• Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @The_Daughtir https://alcasthq.com/eso-stamina-warden-bow-build-pve/

Warden is very viable for a bow/bow build. Any class can use this, tho all stamina classes work better running DW/BOW (as you will be able to see from Alcast's other builds.
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • The_Daughtir
    The_Daughtir
    Soul Shriven
    Thank you all for your help it makes it all much easier to handle when others give their advice and point of view :smiley:
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember my first bow nightblade. Had bow / 2h even.

Mark target, Magnum shot, then switch to 2h critical charge. Cloak, surprise attack, Killers blade. Was glorious! Then when I took on a group of mobs, I ran out of magicka and stamina as fast as my ex's scandal ran.

Then I woke up and used dual wield.
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!