The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Provisioning Recipes - How to get them?

ShadowFoxDD214
So I leveled up my provisioning skill from about level 10 to level 30 just making food and such from recipes I already knew.

Now, I want to do normal daily writs and can't because I don't have any of the recipes. All I've heard is people say "you can usually find them in delves, baskets, or just in the world, etc."
In case no one's noticed, Tamriel is rather large. There has to be a better way of getting recipes.

Did I miss a step? Is there a way to backtrack? Do I need to respec and do writs for each experience level in provisioning to get the recipes from the rewards?
Can someone just trade/sell me the recipes I need?

Thanks in advance, folks!
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Collection wise most older recipes you will have to buy or use a second character to farm with the skill at whatever level you desire recipes for. Traitors vault use to be a good place to get recipes until some nice player thought they should share how good it was with the world including the devs who nerfed it so bad its terrible for recipes now.

The best way to get recipes yourself is to steal them and stealing is much easier if you have the blade of woe and the passives from thieves guild but are still doable without. The best starter area for thievery, IMO, is the second floor of the building that the banker is in in Mistral. Start at the staircase and work to bedroom then work back. The NPCs are easy to avoid and no guards.

Wayrest Castle is another good place for stealing. If you are good you can steal right under the king''s nose. Abahs landing has several good places in which you can make a route out of. The fighters and mages guild are pretty decent there as well as one of the shops upstairs. and the Gold coast trading company in Anvil.

All of those will yield you recipes regularly. Remember you dont need to launder a recipe or print to learn it and i would learn them right away if you want to know them in case you have a run in with the guards.
  • goldenflameslinger
    goldenflameslinger
    ✭✭✭
    Just go buy them from a chef or brewer or look in guild traders if you want to save some $. I think all the writ ones,i know for sure the lower level ones, can be bought from the NPC chef and brewer.
    Edited by goldenflameslinger on November 14, 2018 1:02PM
    PS4 NA DC id: goldenflamesling
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You can buy the green recipes from chef or brewer at or around your local inn. The recipes go up according to your crafting level so you can make sure to get the complete collection.

You can also check traders.
  • ShadowFoxDD214
    Just go buy them from a chef or brewer or look in guild traders if you want to save some $. I think all the writ ones,i know for sure the lower level ones, can be bought from the NPC chef and brewer.

Guild traders haven't been any luck so far, and I've tried at least 5 different regions worth of traders. But I'll definitely check the brewers/chefs again...I usually buy the three they have when I start a crafting skill and then never use them again because the writs (so far) seemed to give my previous crafting character all the recipes he needed. But since I didn't do daily writs to increase my level this time with this toon, I'm short a bunch of recipes I would've gotten through writs.
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have Morrowind, go to the Dreloth Ancestral Tomb and run through the urns. Each run is nearly a 100% chance at a green recipe, and about 33% of the time you'll get a blue recipe. They will be scaled to your provisioning rank as it is a DLC and not an old "leveled" zone, so you'll only get the ones you can currently complete. (Exception: You might not have the passives to make blue/purple)

But if you need specific recipes to complete your daily writs, I'll echo what others have said and you should just hit up an inn/tavern in your home alliance and buy the recipes from the brewer or chef.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• ShadowFoxDD214
    @kylewwefan had it. Local chefs/brewers carry whatever recipes you'd require for current provisioning writs for the current character.

Thanks a ton, all!
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'll probably find that the rewards for the daily writs are your best source for the other recipes. Now you're bootstrapped in with the ones from the chef/brewer, it should all take off,
  • phileunderx2
    phileunderx2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Run through The Middens which is just outside of Elden Root in Grahtwood. Loot all the containers