Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Controls (Keybinds) randomly unbind

DogFaceInBananaPatch
DogFaceInBananaPatch
✭✭✭✭
I will premise this bug report with: I believe binds will not stick (save between sessions) if the ESO client is improperly shut down so this bug report has nothing to do with that scenario.

When I play this game, and I'd like to note I have just returned to playing ESO recently, keybinds I have set many sessions ago simply become unbound. I haven't changed anything *aside* from resetting the the keybindings that mysteriously become unbound. No idea how to make this behavior stop, what causes it, or why it's happening and while it's often the same keybinds that go /poof/ it can be seemingly random keybinds too.

If anyone knows a fix I'd greatly appreciate it. It's driving me nuts having to assess my keybinds before play and match everything up with my spreadsheet [made specifically for this choir]; I got sick of going into battle and a critical keybind is reset to Not Bound.
  • DogFaceInBananaPatch
    DogFaceInBananaPatch
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have found several people in /zone claiming this exact problem too and asked them, if possible, to make a report.

Does anyone here on the boards have this, or had this? If so, I really would like to figure out why this is happening.

I recently tried disabling all addons. Didn't work.

Then to absolutly make sure cut all addons out of the directory and pasted them elsewhere. Still didn't work.

While this buig can happen on seemingly any keybind the most notorious offenders are toggle health bars, toggle nameplates and [the worst] my forward key (which is the Up Arrow; I'm a left-handed mouse user)
  • leeux
    leeux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've having this issue since a looooong time... like a year and a half or so.

I always guessed it's related to an addon or addon combinations I'm running, but I'm too lazy to do a proper troubleshooting (i.e. bisecting the addon list until I find the culprit) and I haven't need to change any important keybinds in ages either.

I never tried to remove all my addon list and see if the issue remains, but if it's as you say, then it could be something in the base game :thinking:
    PC/NA - Proud old member of the Antique Ordinatus Populus

My chars
    Liana Amnell (AD mSorc L50+, ex EP) =x= Lehnnan Klennett (AD mTemplar L50+ Healer/Support ) =x= Ethim Amnell (AD mDK L50+, ex DC)
    Leinwyn Valaene (AD mSorc L50+) =x= Levus Artorias (AD mDK-for-now L50+) =x= Madril Ulessen (AD mNB L50+) =x= Lyra Amnis (AD not-Stamplar-yet L50+)
    I only PvP on AD chars

~~ «And blossoms anew beneath tomorrow's sun >>»
    ~~ «I am forever swimming around, amidst this ocean world we call home... >>»
    ~~ "Let strength be granted so the world might be mended... so the world might be mended."
    ~~ "Slash the silver chain that binds thee to life"
    ~~ Our cries will shrill, the air will moan and crash into the dawn. >>
    ~~ The sands of time were eroded by the river of constant change >>
  • DogFaceInBananaPatch
    DogFaceInBananaPatch
    ✭✭✭✭
    leeux wrote: »
    [...]but if it's as you say, then it could be something in the base game :thinking:

Yeah I tried several times to no avail.

Precise order of troubleshooting was:

1. Cut [out] and pasted all my addons to the desktop
    2. Started the game
    3. Double checked the Addons panel to verify it was blank; It was.
    4. [Re]bound the two biggest culprits Toggle Nameplates and Healthbars [because obviously they weren't lol]
    5. Logged out of the game to character panel
    6. Waited for the countdown (wasn't in a city)
    7. Hit Back
    8. Quit
    9. Shut off Launcher
    10. Turned on Launcher
    11. Started the game [so on and so forth]
    12. checked the Controls (Keybinds) and they are NOT bound anymore

Very Important: I first started noticing this behavior with Wykedds (spelling?) Immersion mod in which I could bind a key to turn on/off the Compass, for you know, immersion (heh). It worked for days on end through many sessions and then one day (3 days ago to be exact) that one too started doing it and now every single day it has a 50% chance of being Bound to key. Literally flip of a coin if it's still bound to F12.

Seriously this maddening because it's always something and very good chance it'll be random (with the exception of the mentioned binds above; they are always)

Edited by DogFaceInBananaPatch on November 14, 2018 9:36PM
  • leeux
    leeux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried renaming your UserSettings.txt file in your ESO/live folder and letting the client recreate it? (I know the key binds aren't there per-se, but still... it could help in resetting some internal state that the client has...)

I don't recall if I ever tried that myself specifically in the past (I have reset that file several times though, just don't recall if it was post or pre the issue occurring.) but I can't do the test now, since I'm supposedly working :blush:

My chars
    Liana Amnell (AD mSorc L50+, ex EP) =x= Lehnnan Klennett (AD mTemplar L50+ Healer/Support ) =x= Ethim Amnell (AD mDK L50+, ex DC)
    Leinwyn Valaene (AD mSorc L50+) =x= Levus Artorias (AD mDK-for-now L50+) =x= Madril Ulessen (AD mNB L50+) =x= Lyra Amnis (AD not-Stamplar-yet L50+)
    I only PvP on AD chars

~~ "Let strength be granted so the world might be mended... so the world might be mended."
  • DogFaceInBananaPatch
    DogFaceInBananaPatch
    ✭✭✭✭
    I always guessed it's related to an addon or addon combinations I'm running, but I'm too lazy to do a proper troubleshooting (i.e. bisecting the addon list until I find the culprit) and I haven't need to change any important keybinds in ages either.

Curious if it's any specific keybinds that do this to you? Is it often the same ones with a few random keybinds that unbind sprinkled in there too, like I have?
  • leeux
    leeux
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Curious if it's any specific keybinds that do this to you? Is it often the same ones with a few random keybinds that unbind sprinkled in there too, like I have?

To be honest, they are all keybinds added from mods... the base game keybinds, I have them setup the same since a long time ago... and I hadn't had a reason to change them.

The first time I noted the problem was for setting keybinds to switching filters on an old mod that I don't use anymore.

The most recent issue I had was for the keybind for the Assist Rapid Riding addon, I wanted to bind it to "B" so I can switch at will while I'm riding, just to avoid getting stuck with rapids on my bar in case I land on combat at the wrong time... and that keybind doesn't save.

OTOH, I'm pretty sure I've set F4 as keybind for Alpha Gear and NUM* for Combat Metrics post the first issues happening, and those have stuck on.

So I don't really know if there is a pattern or not.
    Edited by leeux on November 16, 2018 5:50AM

My chars
    I only PvP on AD chars

• smee_z
    smee_z
    ✭✭✭
    Quite often times I have encountered this. Key binds unbinding.
    What I do is /reloadui. Seems to do the trick to fix it.
    PC NA

Games are meant to be played.

Back in Auriel's Bow 1.0, I have thought that the best way to handicap a faction with the HUGE pop advantage is to temporarily disable their grouping functionality and their ability to fight in 3rd person point of view! Let's see if these do not even up the odds.
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had the same issue, then I used Votans Keybinder add-on. Problem solved.

Edit:
    I think it may be caused by different keybind setups on different characters, Votans Keybinder allows to make them account wide, and then problem disappears.
    Edited by Mayrael on November 16, 2018 10:26AM
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • DogFaceInBananaPatch
    DogFaceInBananaPatch
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank all for the information and feedback. I hope someone sees this and finds the problem.
    Mayrael wrote: »
    I had the same issue, then I used Votans Keybinder add-on. Problem solved.

Magnificent! Will D/L this immediately when I get home for not only fixing this bug [causing madness] but so my new characters don't have a 2 hour jail time of setup. lol

Thank you!

Edit: Now that I think about it the overwhelming majority of long-time players probably use that mod, Votans Keybinder, I would assume therefore none are even aware there is a potential bug with keys being unbound. Just a theory why this bug report has little traction. Hey, if it fixes it, screw it, it's all good with me. Bug resolved. lol
    Edited by DogFaceInBananaPatch on November 16, 2018 12:52PM
  • DogFaceInBananaPatch
    DogFaceInBananaPatch
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just want to note for the record, and anyone else attempting to find a solution to this madness in the future, that Votan's mod masks* the bug and fixes the problem.

https://esoui.com/downloads/info1174-VotansKeybinder.html

* I'm sure the bug is still present but because the addon loads after the bug occurs and "resets" the keybind (to my custom bind) from the SaveVariables file it fixes the problem.
    Edited by DogFaceInBananaPatch on November 16, 2018 3:39PM
  • leeux
    leeux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gonna give it a try next time I mess with my addons, probably tomorrow before playing!

Thank you all for the replies and thanks @DogFaceInBananaPatch for creating this thread :smile:

Edited by leeux on November 16, 2018 9:22PM

My chars
    I only PvP on AD chars