Maintenance for the week of May 20:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 20
• NA megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/658773

Couple of very newbie questions

VisualDeadlock
Hi, brand spanking new to the game. Just a couple of questions, probably a few more later.

1) I've been reading that for new players, its best to go to the base game tutorial area. I purchased the game w/Moorowind expec. How would I get there? (I am still on the boat)

2) KB+M or Controller? I play WOW using KB+M, but seems like controller is very viable, and when I was looking at keybinds, seems like there were a lot - mostly my concern is with all the keybinds, combat would make my fingers go into a twist. How good is using controller in the game, and I suppose KB used for typing to others and the such?
  • VisualDeadlock
    3) Also, buffs on myself? How do I see that? I used some daily reward thing that increased my stats, but I have to go into character and active effects to see that its on. Anyway to see it on screen?
    Options
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morrowind starts you in Morrowind, however if you travel to the mainland you get the original main quest who takes you to the starting zone. Its better I think and it give more skill points.

Controller or keyboard is up to you.

Primary buff is food, you find some around but the best is to join an guild and ask for some.
    You find potions as loot, this is used to restore health or other resources.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
    Options
  • Parrot1986
    Parrot1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To view buffs the standard UI isn’t great tbh, most run add ons which enhance it. The most popular is Srendarr which is a bit of a beast to use with lots of detail but allows you to track food buffs as well as track timers for abilities. I use this for food buffs and a select few abilities.

https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info655-Srendarr-AuraBuffDebuffTracker.html
    Options
  • VisualDeadlock
    Ok thanks.

Um, how do I get to the mainland?
    Options
  • TheCyberDruid
    TheCyberDruid
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Use a wayshrine. The starter zones are Auridon, Glenumbra and Stonefalls (depending on your faction).
    Options
  • Parrot1986
    Parrot1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You also have boatswain/ports in each zone which can port you to each alliance and different zones. Getting a guild helps a lot for fast travel as you can just port to their location if they are logged on which is nice.

Are you Pc eu? Feel free to add if any questions or need help ingame @Parrot86
    Options
  • VisualDeadlock
    Nah PC NA but I may switch to EU just to try something different.
    Options
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) This thread has very good and detailed info about the tutorial(s), and also how to start the quests in order: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/413807/what-order-should-i-do-esos-story-arcs-a-guide. With the introduction of One Tamriel and the chapters, it can be quite confusing knowing where to go, so it's well worth a read, if you want to follow the story from the original base game.

2) I play with a controller, and it's pretty nice. You still need to swap to m/k for certain things, like using some addons, or in Housing, etc., and there are small things that you can't do with the controller at all, and if you are using the gamepad UI, some elements overlap with others on the screen, but for the most part it's very functional.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the game :smile:
    Options
  • VisualDeadlock
    Jaimeh wrote: »
    1) This thread has very good and detailed info about the tutorial(s), and also how to start the quests in order: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/413807/what-order-should-i-do-esos-story-arcs-a-guide. With the introduction of One Tamriel and the chapters, it can be quite confusing knowing where to go, so it's well worth a read, if you want to follow the story from the original base game.

2) I play with a controller, and it's pretty nice. You still need to swap to m/k for certain things, like using some addons, or in Housing, etc., and there are small things that you can't do with the controller at all, and if you are using the gamepad UI, some elements overlap with others on the screen, but for the most part it's very functional.

Very helpful, thank you.

I made a Khajit Nightblade, so I guess a Rogue. The Morrowind starter area had me equip a sword and a shield. I assume I will find daggers soon-ish, but, even though I am nightblade, I can still use Sword and Board if I wanted to?

Options
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO's not a game where class prevents you from using any equipment. However, while you're using sword and board, you're not getting experience for your dual-wield skill. A second sword would do that, or two axes. Ultimately, you probably want two daggers, but the fine details come after the broad strokes.

During the build-up phase of your character, it can help to be a bit of a jack-of-all-trades, and do some tank and healer stuff to keep yourself alive. There's a lot of solo content in the main quest line, and you won't have the sheer firepower to let you kill before they can touch you.
    Options
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Very helpful, thank you.

I made a Khajit Nightblade, so I guess a Rogue. The Morrowind starter area had me equip a sword and a shield. I assume I will find daggers soon-ish, but, even though I am nightblade, I can still use Sword and Board if I wanted to?

Yes, you can use any weapon you like, though it's good to keep in mind what playstyle you're eventually building it into, so that you level those skill lines. Except dual daggers, it might be helpful to level two-handed weapons too. Also, although when you are leveled you will likely use medium armour, it's good to level all three weights, by wearing a few pieces of each--it's kind of a painless way to level the armour lines.
    Options
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Very helpful, thank you.

Yes, you can use any weapon you like, though it's good to keep in mind what playstyle you're eventually building it into, so that you level those skill lines. Except dual daggers, it might be helpful to level two-handed weapons too. Also, although when you are leveled you will likely use medium armour, it's good to level all three weights, by wearing a few pieces of each--it's kind of a painless way to level the armour lines.
    Yes and don't forget bow, at level 15 you can swap weapons and its very common to use bow and two daggers.
    You can see this everywhere players starts with bow and then use melee weapons afterward.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
    Options
  • VisualDeadlock
    So, I couldnt use the wayshrine to go to Auridon. Used the one at Sayeeda Neen, but there was no way stone in Auridon for me. Was looking around for some hooded figure in Sayeeda Neen couldnt find him either.
    Options
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, I couldnt use the wayshrine to go to Auridon. Used the one at Sayeeda Neen, but there was no way stone in Auridon for me. Was looking around for some hooded figure in Sayeeda Neen couldnt find him either.

For transportation, if you are in a guild, you can look in the guild roster for people in Auridon, and you can fast travel to them for free. If it's an undiscovered zone, no matter which wayshrine you travel to, it will automatically unlock the wayshrine in the zone's starter city as well. That's Vulkhel Guard for Auridon, and where you will see the 'hooded figure', provided your character is AD. You can also fast travel to people in your friends list, or to your groupmates, if you are in a group. If you need to travel to a locked shrine, you can always ask in zone, hopefully people will offer to group up with you and help you port there. Then there are navigator NPCs in the cities (look for the anchor symbol in the map) that can port you for free to cities in other zones, or other factions. There are different navigators for different areas, so look for the one you need (there is one in Vivec City, close to Seeyda Neen).
    Edited by Jaimeh on November 8, 2018 2:12PM
    Options
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok thanks.

Most zones have at least one Wayshrine Unlocked. You can access these for free from any Wayshrrine, or for a fee from anywhere using the map.

However, there are also Navigators, look for the Anchor or Wagon icon on the local map of the main city in the zone. You can use these to get around for free.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

Options
  • VisualDeadlock

For transportation, if you are in a guild, you can look in the guild roster for people in Auridon, and you can fast travel to them for free. If it's an undiscovered zone, no matter which wayshrine you travel to, it will automatically unlock the wayshrine in the zone's starter city as well. That's Vulkhel Guard for Auridon, and where you will see the 'hooded figure', provided your character is AD. You can also fast travel to people in your friends list, or to your groupmates, if you are in a group. If you need to travel to a locked shrine, you can always ask in zone, hopefully people will offer to group up with you and help you port there. Then there are navigator NPCs in the cities (look for the anchor symbol in the map) that can port you for free to cities in other zones, or other factions. There are different navigators for different areas, so look for the one you need (there is one in Vivec City, close to Seeyda Neen).

In Sayeda Neen I saw some guy offering travel on a ship the 3 places, one for each faction. The AD one said Khensari (sp?) roost. Would I go there?
    Options
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In Sayeda Neen I saw some guy offering travel on a ship the 3 places, one for each faction. The AD one said Khensari (sp?) roost. Would I go there?

Khenarsi's Roost is the right place for you. There's transport on to Auridon from there, but I forget if you need to do some quests before it's accessible to you.
    Options
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you see the "hooded figure" speak to her right away otherwise it might be a bit difficult to find her. As for controller or mouse and keyboard, it's a personal preference. For me, I have an easier time with a controller. The other thing you have to consider is if using a controller, it changes how ESO looks a bit. When you play on land everything is the same, only difference is when you go to inventory, quests and other sections etc. So you might not like how the controller mode looks. For me that is what I am use to so the keyboard and mouse seems so weird for me.

Also if you are using controller, you can program additional functions on it if you so like to. I was able to add "auto walk" to the controller through the keyboard and mouse functions. I selected "auto walk" and then pressed the "start" button and hold it so "auto walk" would be activated. I haven't tired other functions but I am sure you can do them as well. Not sure fi the "default" function would be changed or not since I haven't tried it.
    Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
    Options
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you start in Morrowind, its been my experience that you get more training gear through drops and the tutorial. Although, the quests seem a tad more difficult than most of the mainland quests.

Some have said to use a wayshrine to get to the mainland. I don't think you can for all zones. You can take boats from Vivec City to the mainland to then find/activate those wayshrines.

There really is no correct answer to what to do first.

EDIT: Once you get enough money, BUY CHEAP APARTMENTS. I bought the ones in Alik'r Desert, Auridon, Deshaan, Stonefalls, and Glenumbra. First, buying one lets you fast travel there for free and some are near wayshrines (i.e. the one in Auridon). Second, this is the easiest way to open access to some areas without having to find a quest that will take you there.
    Edited by El_Borracho on November 8, 2018 10:52PM
    Options
  • Ostacia
    Ostacia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a setting (in "Combat" I think) where you can choose "Always Show" for buffs.
    PC/ NA
    Imagination is the real and eternal world of which this vegetable universe is but a faint shadow. -- William Blake
    Options
  • VisualDeadlock
    So just want to clarify, we can only have 6 abilities at any given time?
    Options
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So just want to clarify, we can only have 6 abilities at any given time?

Yes and No.

A small fraction of the abilities do something just by being slotted, so they have an effect even when the other bar is in use. There will only be 5 abilities + Ultimate that can be fired off at will, and you'll have to bar-swap to access the other set of 5+1. Pets like the Twilight need to be on both bars, or swapping will un-summon them.

You'll also be able to acquire many more, and move them on and off the active bars when you're not in combat. So you can re-configure for a different dungeon, for example.
    Edited by ghastley on November 9, 2018 5:50PM
    Options
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Until level 15, yes. At level 15 you unlock your second bar, and can equip a different weapon/set of weapons, and different skills.

Yes, use the navigators on the docks to travel to different areas if you don't have a wayshrine or a guildmate/friend in the right location. And yes, for Aldmeri Dominion you do start at Kenarthi's Roost. Do the stuff Raz wants you to, then go to the mainland and things will go on from there with the hooded figure and stuff.
    Options
  • VisualDeadlock
    Another question. I wanted to make a rogue character, so I went with Nightblade. According to the character creator, Khajit was good for this (stealth, agility, etc). But does this really matter? How viable is making a Breton Nightblade for example, would I be gimping myself if I did that?
    Options
  • VisualDeadlock
    Also, is there some kind of personal bank where I can store items? My inventory seems to fill up fast
    Options
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say go with the race you feel comfortable with. The advantages of having the recommended race for a specific class are certainly not essential, and it will not be game-breaking if you choose a different race.

You will find banks in the larger towns in all zones of Tamriel where you can store your stuff. However, banks fill up too, so I would really advise increasing your inventory and bank space as fast as possible. You can do this in several ways, such as buying extra space from the Crown Store, or from sellers in towns. You can also increase inventory space by riding lessons, at any stable in Tamriel. Eventually you can max out your inventory to 200 spaces, and your bank to 240 spaces (480 if you are ESO+). In addition once you own a home, even a tiny free starter appartment, you can acquire storage chests which will give you up to 360 extra slots for your stuff.

On the subject of ESO+, if you are thinking of going down that route, it has many advantages besides doubling your bank slots...the greatest being an almost indispensible and unlimited capacity craft bag, where all your harvesting/crafting items automatically go when you acquire them. A lot of people manage without these ESO+ advantages by careful inventory and bank management, and rolling multiple alts to use as extra storage space, but for sheer convenience I would go with ESO+ if you can.

Edited by Aurie on November 10, 2018 9:18PM
    Options
  • Shazanti
    Shazanti
    ✭✭✭
    Khajiit have good racial passive skills that mesh well with Nightblade/Rogue (as you mentioned), with the Medium Armor passive (though that's only an xp boost and won't be useful forever), the Pickpocket passive (one of the very few ways to boost this skill) and the Stealth passives, but for a Stamina Nightblade, it's the Stamina Recovery boost that you're really going for in the end. Breton's racial skills don't match up as well to what people would think of regarding 'Rogues', with their Light Armor xp boost, then the Alliance Points boost (though that's helpful for any class in PvP), Spell Resistance boost (helpful for any class), but if you're a Magicka Nightblade, the passives for Magicka cost reduction and max Magicka boost would indeed be helpful.

However, while there are arguably 'best race/class combos', unless you're the kind of person who focuses on squeezing out every minor percentage and min/maxing, you shouldn't worry about not having 'the BEST race for the class.' Matching your race to your class (or specifically how you choose to play that class, as above with Stamina vs. Magicka) can indeed be helpful but it won't cripple you if you don't.

Your faction starting area is indeed Khenarthi's Roost, and is where every Aldmeri Dominion character once started. It's one of the old 'tutorial' starter zones. Once you were done there, you'd move on to Auridon and the actual Main Quest questline would soon begin. Now the old Main Quest triggers when you first arrive on the mainland (meaning: not the old tutorial areas nor any DLC/expansion area).

Can't help you with much else as I am 100% a KB&M player (I despise controllers), and others have already recommended mods for showing more on your screen (S'rendarr is wonderful but definitely needs a guide to get the most out of it, though I believe there's a good video guide linked on the mod's page at ESOUI.com).

Welcome to the game!

EDIT: I missed your bank question! Yes, there are banks in most of the big cities. Seyda Neen does not have one, but Vivec does (it's the town SE down the road a very short way from Seyda Neen). Mistral on Khenarthi's Roost will have one, as will Auridon on the mainland. There are also Pack merchants in a few places who will sell you upgrades that increase your bag space by 10 each (however if you manage to make it to level 7 before you buy any upgrades you will receive one free upgrade as a level-up reward, but ONLY if you haven't purchased any upgrades yet). There is a Pack merchant in Vivec, and there will be one somewhere on Khenarthi's Roost and in Auridon. Bank space works the same way, though you buy bank space upgrades directly from the Banker.

Also you will receive a free Horse as a level up reward at level 10. Once you have this (or any) mount, make sure you train them! You can train mounts in Speed, Stamina, and Carry Capacity. You can train 1 point per 20 hours, and train each category up to 60. So, once fully trained, your mounts (training is per-character, not per-mount) will have their Speed and Stamina increased by 60%, and the Carry Capacity will mean your own inventory will hold 60 more items (it's not a separate inventory system, it boosts the character's inventory). Personally I max out Speed first, but that's just personal preference! Mounts don't feel 'fast' to me until at least 40, so by the time I've trained them that far, I just keep going. You'll find what works for you!
    Edited by Shazanti on November 13, 2018 1:05AM
    Options
  • VisualDeadlock
    Thanks everyone!

I purchased one month of ESO Plus, and will continue depending on how that goes, theres a lot of DLC I'd like to play through.

The problem I am having, is mostly new player problems. I'm constantly disorientated, i.e. dunno where anything is in relation to me and where places are. A lot of that will come with playing the game, so its fine.

Do have a question. I am currently playing a Dark Elf Nightblade, I went to cold harbor and now I am loitering around Dhavon's Watch. I was thinking about playing a dragonknight and a warden, but I am wondering is the story different when starting as a different faction? If not, then I might stick to m y nightblade first and learn the game better.

Like for example, as a Ebonpact, seems like the village is/was under attack by covenant. If I play a Covenant class, do I play the storyline as the attacker?
    Options
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone!

I purchased one month of ESO Plus, and will continue depending on how that goes, theres a lot of DLC I'd like to play through.

The problem I am having, is mostly new player problems. I'm constantly disorientated, i.e. dunno where anything is in relation to me and where places are. A lot of that will come with playing the game, so its fine.

Do have a question. I am currently playing a Dark Elf Nightblade, I went to cold harbor and now I am loitering around Dhavon's Watch. I was thinking about playing a dragonknight and a warden, but I am wondering is the story different when starting as a different faction? If not, then I might stick to m y nightblade first and learn the game better.

Like for example, as a Ebonpact, seems like the village is/was under attack by covenant. If I play a Covenant class, do I play the storyline as the attacker?
    No you start in another zone, you can go to the same village but the quest will be the same.

Currently faction only matter with starting zone and the zone main quest, and who faction you play in Cyrodil.
    You are restricted to who race can play factions unless you unlock that in the crown store.
    If can be smart to have characters of different zones for different quests and also if you do pvp with an guild.

And its natural to be distracted.

Options