Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

What's wrong with PvP coomunity?

•  Jules
    Jules
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    John_1999 wrote: »
    Jules wrote: »
    Cyrodiil is a frustrating place, the many mechanics it has can make the player feel as if they got jipped when they die. Whether it be instagank or zerged down or lag / performance issues, many things can lead a player to feel like they didn't have a fair shot or that you had the advantage. So that makes a breeding ground for frustration. Secondly, the anonymity of the internet leaves people feeling emboldened and able to say/do whatever they please without the threat of social shame. Not saying it's right (it's absolutely not) to wish irl death/harm to others over a video game, it's actually quite sick and sad. But purely in the interest of understanding why - I think that's a decent place to start.

Hello Jules,

when will you stream again?
    I miss your stream tbh :smile:

Aw, this made my day. I'm not sure buddy, maybe after the holidays. I'll update twitter when I do though. Msg me if you need anything :)
    JULES | PC NA | ADAMANT

IGN- @Juies || Youtube || Twitch
    EP - Julianos . Jules . Family Jules . Jules of Misrule. Joy
    DC - Julsie . Jules . Jukes . Jojuji . Juliet . Jaded
    AD - Juice . Jubaited . Joules . Julmanji . Julogy . Jubroni . Ju Jitsu

Rest in Peace G & Yi
    Viva La Aristocracy
  • mayasunrising
    mayasunrising
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Recremen wrote: »
    Drakkdjinn wrote: »
    I know heaps of fine PvP’ers, grow a thicker skin & stop taking the troll bait in this or any other game. Or do what I do - add their hate tells to your trophy collection & move on: you’re doing PvP right.

Telling people to "grow a thicker skin" is kind of a trashy attitude to have, I feel. It seems like a no-brainer to me that if some people are a bad fit for the community because they're abusive and toxic then you just remove them from the community. You wouldn't let someone be in any kind of a sports league, chess club, or theater troupe if they had such an attitude problem, and it's pure nonsense to tolerate it here as well.

I absolutely agree with this. It's not on me or anyone else to manage some dillhole's *** poor humaning skills. You're responsible for your actions and their consequences. If you're acting an ass, I'll call you for acting an ass. If you consistently act like an ass, then you should expect the pvp community - most of which ARE pretty awesome people - to ostracize you.

A person calling people on their immature behavior doesn't mean they have thin skin. It means they are solid in who they are and don't take s*** from others. When the hell did it become the opposite?

Thankfully pro-gaming organizations are starting to come around and take steps to prevent poor sportsmanship; tea-bagging, flaming, trash talk, etc.
    "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." Anaïs Nin

“There’s a difference between wanting to be looked at and wanting to be seen." Amanda Palmer

“A game is an opportunity to focus our energy, with relentless optimism, at something we’re good at (or getting better at) and enjoy. In other words, gameplay is the direct emotional opposite of depression.” Jane McGonigal

“They'll tell you you're too loud, that you need to wait your turn and ask the right people for permission. Do it anyway." Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
  • mayasunrising
    mayasunrising
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ramber wrote: »
    messaging someone in pvp area should be disabled... when i finally got pretty good and killed more then i died the hate messages started to come more often. Crap like you killed me because i was (enter a ton of excuses here)... and im not talking about killing AFK people either i mean fully buffed fair fights.

This. One of the best aspect of PvP in Dark Age of Camelot was opposing factions couldn't talk to each other in combat areas (Because lore-wise we all spoke different languages. :wink: ) The most you ever had to deal with was "The person says something to you in a language you can't understand." It was pretty awesome.
    "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." Anaïs Nin

“There’s a difference between wanting to be looked at and wanting to be seen." Amanda Palmer

“A game is an opportunity to focus our energy, with relentless optimism, at something we’re good at (or getting better at) and enjoy. In other words, gameplay is the direct emotional opposite of depression.” Jane McGonigal

“They'll tell you you're too loud, that you need to wait your turn and ask the right people for permission. Do it anyway." Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
  • mayasunrising
    mayasunrising
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know heaps of fine PvP’ers, grow a thicker skin & stop taking the troll bait in this or any other game. Or do what I do - add their hate tells to your trophy collection & move on: you’re doing PvP right.

Telling people to "grow a thicker skin" is kind of a trashy attitude to have, I feel. It seems like a no-brainer to me that if some people are a bad fit for the community because they're abusive and toxic then you just remove them from the community. You wouldn't let someone be in any kind of a sports league, chess club, or theater troupe if they had such an attitude problem, and it's pure nonsense to tolerate it here as well.

Report them if they break the TOS. Ignore them so you don't have to listen to them.

Otherwise, what do you expect us to do? If they were the type of people who listened to admonitions about the value of good sportsmanship, they wouldnt be sending you hate tells, now would they?

@VaranisArano

I'm not getting hate tells and don't myself care about hate tells one way or the other. In any case I am, as you suggest, talking about the people breaking TOS with the kind of filth they're saying. But even when we're talking about the more abusive kind of folks a lot of people still have the "grow a thicker skin" attitude. If that's not the case here, then no problem.

Yeah, I agree, mostly.

See, on a practical level, what can I do? Report people who break the TOS and use the Ignore function. Oh, and be polite instead of sending hate tells myself.

Thats all any player can do.

Anything more? That takes ZOS. Its ZOS who has to deal with the TOS breakers in a timely, appropriate manner. And ZOS can't protect you from TOS breaking speech before it happens, so when it happens we're right back to the advice of "Turn the censor on, use the Ignore button, report people who break the TOS, and try not to let it get to you."

Yeah, of course, that's all perfectly reasonable. The advice I said was kind of trashy was specifically the "grow thicker skin". Maybe I'm misinterpreting it, but I usually only see that turn of phrase when people are trying to imply "it's your fault for getting victimized", like there's no expectation for prosocial behavior and the development of civilizing principles is a spook.

you see, when i say grow a thicker skin, i mean do excatly what the person you are quoting do. dont get upset by someone. you play right into the persons frame if you do let them upset you.

To me it sounds like you're meaning to say is actually "take the higher road", not grow a thicker skin - which is a form of victim blaming.

• GoonyGoat
    GoonyGoat
    ✭✭✭✭
    Only ever got one tell. Was in midyear and just rolled my trials tank into Cyro to zerg surf and get some boxes and AP on him. Didn't respec or anything so had almost no damage and was mostly chaining folks into the group o:)

Got a whisper and started chatting back - was actually a nice guy and when he heard I was mostly PVE he gave me some advice for if I ever wanted to set my DK up for PVP and offered to invite me to a guild.

• mayasunrising
    mayasunrising
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MaxJrFTW wrote: »
    It's called human nature, and competition.. If you can't handle trash talking, then you have no business in a competitive environment. That goes for real life as well.

That's a naive and absolutely absurd view of how the real world works. If you go about your day to day life trash talking your competition - especially in business or during team/relationship building - you're in for a pretty rough time.

• mayasunrising
    mayasunrising
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ks888 wrote: »
    I respond to most rage whispers with a "<3" and then I usually don't get another one. If it's someone who's exceptionally persistant, I whip out the skills honed over 15 years of working in customer serve and politely tell them to eat craw.

Ha! Love it! A lot of times I'll say "I'm sorry you don't get enough hugs. do you want a hug?" :p

• Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If someone sends you a hate whisper target them again and give them a cheeky bag ;)
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • montjie
    montjie
    ✭✭✭

If you're acting an ass, I'll call you for acting an ass.
    How ironic

- easy farmable saltbucket -
    - retired QQ king of Daggerfall Covenant PC-EU Azura's Star/Sotha Sil/weird dragon name/Ravenwatch zone chat -
  • The_Tarantian
    The_Tarantian
    ✭✭✭
    Alrighty, I guess I'll quickly update the topic.
    It's been like what, 3 months?
    I moved to Shor and never ever got a hatefull whisper or t-bag. Not even once.
    However, when I go to Sotha Sil (to farm monthly rewards) - I still see those thing (from fellow Pact members too btw).
    I noticed most of those people belong to big PvP guilds, so my guess is that poor loners like myself get into the scrape between the opposing gangs of different alliances with a long hatred history.
    Just my guess.
    Cheers to Shor wanderers \m
    Erin Go Bragh, Erin go Braugh !
    It's Irish for "you're ***".
  • Flame_of_Hades
    Flame_of_Hades
    ✭✭✭
    Sotha (PC NA) is small, ish. most of the big players know each other. lots of beef between certain groups, but its usually guild v guild things.

My guild (Skeli Boi's) has a beef with SK because we take issue with its leader trash talking

CK has (had?) a beef with Tris and her guild/zerg, because again, someone who thought they were better at the game than they are started talking trash.

Its like mini politics, If you don't know the reason for a group of people t-bagging your guild... its prob because someone higher up the chain of command pulled you into it...
  • _Ahala_
    _Ahala_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you get sick of PvP salt whispers, offline mode and ignore are your best options as responding to salt more often than not makes things worse. At the same time if your playing the game for the game and not the politics or competition you will have a much better time communicating with your buds using a third party software and ignore chat completely when it comes to PvP