Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Children of the Root

Eporem
Eporem
✭✭✭
Does this book tell how the Hist came to be? Would the Hist be the children, the roots of the Shadow - keeping in mind that the Hist was one of the twelve worlds of creation

0iS2nWh.jpg

Edited by Eporem on November 11, 2018 1:11PM
  • Bruccius
    Bruccius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am pretty sure the Hist were part of the Ehlnofey; the ones who created the world. They used to be far more numerous, but when Nirn's oceans and continents were formed, many of them died.
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just going off that book, I would say the roots are the Hist and the shadow is Sithis. The spirits that "drank of blood and sap, and they grew scales and fangs and wings" sound an awful lot like the Dovah, and the forest spirit sounds like Y'ffre.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works
  • LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The hist are in every kalpa. They are older than Nirns present creation.
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's an allegory for which we do not have the key. It could mean anything (without meaning literally anything)...
    • A creation myth.
    • The narrative spoken during the initiation into a mystery cult.
    • How to make the Philosopher's Stone.
    • The secret recipe for granny's fishboon gumbo.
    The choice is yours.

When presented with an allegory for which I do not have the key, as a rule, I just ignore it. Life's too short.
    PC EU
  • Claudman
    Claudman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Hist has no affiliation with any of the normal creation myths and has nothing to do with the Ehlnofey or Et'ada, but they have existed in every Kalpa. They're alien.

@Bruccius They had no affiliation with making the world. The Hist was simply just there.
    https://www.imperial-library.info/content/annotated-anuad
    Edited by Claudman on November 12, 2018 1:39PM
    Welcome, Moon-and-Star, to this place where destiny is made.

I play healers or DPS often for vet dungeons and trials (NA, CP810+). I play mostly elves or Argonians.
    I primarily play Damage-Based stuff in PvP, but occasionally I'll play something tanky or got the heals.
    I also love gaining more knowledge both metaphysical and mundane regarding TES lore.

I also occasionally role-play, but I prefer playing the game.
  • Eporem
    Eporem
    ✭✭✭
    Claudman wrote: »
    The Hist has no affiliation with any of the normal creation myths and has nothing to do with the Ehlnofey or Et'ada, but they have existed in every Kalpa. They're alien.

@Bruccius They had no affiliation with making the world. The Hist was simply just there.

I am not sure I agree with the Hist as simply just there when I read the Annotated-Anuad. I gather from this that the Hist and the Ehlnofey were two of the twelve worlds that were saved during the creation of Nirn before Anu and his brother were pulled outside of time forever.

If the Hist and the Ehlnofey were two of the twelve worlds then they were originally created by Nir who came to be by the interplay of Light and Darkness or Anu and Padomay.

If the Hist was one of twelve worlds -seperate from the others in the beginning then this book of the Children of the Root seems to me that it was their creation myth or beliefs that came with them or was remembered when Nirn was created.

Edited by Eporem on November 13, 2018 1:47PM
  • Claudman
    Claudman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eporem wrote: »

I am not sure I agree with the Hist as simply just there when I read the Annotated-Anuad. I gather from this that the Hist and the Ehlnofey were two of the twelve worlds that were saved during the creation of Nirn before Anu and his brother were pulled outside of time forever.

If the Hist and the Ehlnofey were two of the twelve worlds then they were originally created by Nir who came to be by the interplay of Light and Darkness or Anu and Padomay.

"The only survivors of the twelve worlds of Creation were the Ehlnofey and the Hist."
    "The Hist were bystanders in the Ehlnofey war, but most of their realm was destroyed as the war passed over it"

They had no intention to assist with the making of the world. As a Padomaic entity, it makes no sense for the Hist to intentionally want to help with the making of the world. If they did help with making the world, it'd be purely accidental or be for an ulterior motive (I.e. Lorkhan). The Hist isn't an Earth Bone, it's the Hist.

You must remember that Padomaic or Daedric entities tend to be selfish and always act out upon ulterior motives.

I play healers or DPS often for vet dungeons and trials (NA, CP810+). I play mostly elves or Argonians.
    I primarily play Damage-Based stuff in PvP, but occasionally I'll play something tanky or got the heals.
    I also love gaining more knowledge both metaphysical and mundane regarding TES lore.

• Scythe_Mercer
    Scythe_Mercer
    ✭✭✭
    The Anuad specifically states that “The Hist are bystanders” as in it had no involvement whatsoever cause it is it’s own entity, a Padomaic one at that. No one or anything can understand the Hists intentions but itself.
  • Eporem
    Eporem
    ✭✭✭

"The only survivors of the twelve worlds of Creation were the Ehlnofey and the Hist."
    "The Hist were bystanders in the Ehlnofey war, but most of their realm was destroyed as the war passed over it"

They had no intention to assist with the making of the world. As a Padomaic entity, it makes no sense for the Hist to intentionally want to help with the making of the world. If they did help with making the world, it'd be purely accidental or be for an ulterior motive (I.e. Lorkhan). The Hist isn't an Earth Bone, it's the Hist.

You must remember that Padomaic or Daedric entities tend to be selfish and always act out upon ulterior motives.

According to the Annotated-Anuad the Ehlnofey war was a war that reshaped the face of Nirn after Nirn was created or made and the Hist or its realm as bystanders (to me meaning they did not wish to be involved in this war of the Ehlnofey) almost became eliminated. But they did survive and grow as we see during the quest of the Root Whisperers.

Edited by Eporem on November 13, 2018 2:24PM
  • Claudman
    Claudman
    ✭✭✭✭✭

According to the Annotated-Anuad the Ehlnofey war was a war that reshaped the face of Nirn after Nirn was created or made and the Hist or its realm as bystanders (to me meaning they did not wish to be involved in this war of the Ehlnofey) almost became eliminated. But they did survive and grow as we see during the quest of the Root Whisperers.

To me that book far above doesn't sound like the affiliation of the creation of Nirn, but the cycle which both the Saxhleel and Hist experience throughout their many past existences throughout the other World-Rivers or 'Kalpas'. The cycle of death and rebirth.

And that's because you literally can't kill the Hist. It just goes dormant. Trying to kill the Hist is like trying to stab Sithis. It wouldn't be a Lovecraftian horror if you could simply beat it. Also, saying that the Hist helped with Nirn is almost like saying the Daedra helped with the creation of Nirn.
    Edited by Claudman on November 13, 2018 2:32PM

• Eporem
    Eporem
    ✭✭✭

To me that book far above doesn't sound like the affiliation of the creation of Nirn, but the cycle which both the Saxhleel and Hist experience throughout their many past existences throughout the other World-Rivers or 'Kalpas'. The cycle of death and rebirth.

And that's because you literally can't kill the Hist. It just goes dormant. Trying to kill the Hist is like trying to stab Sithis. It wouldn't be a Lovecraftian horror if you could simply beat it. Also, saying that the Hist helped with Nirn is almost like saying the Daedra helped with the creation of Nirn.

I cannot seem to see at the moment how you see the Hist as being a Padomaic entity on its arrival to Nirn. Does not the Hist have the ability to create, wasnt it shown in Murkmire that the Argonians created the Xanneers and isn't it known that these Xanneers have wayshires dedicated to the stars, and does not the Annotated Anuad say that the Blood of Anu became the stars. I know from doing the Murkmire quests that the Argonians do change and that this cycle of death and rebirth seems more daedric in its nature so I do wonder is it possible that the Hist represents both - having the ability to create and change, but then I guess this would make the Hist Aedra - with the mingled blood of both Light and Dark/Anu and Padomey/Chaos and Order.

Edited by Eporem on November 14, 2018 8:16PM
  • Claudman
    Claudman
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I cannot seem to see at the moment how you see the Hist as being a Padomaic entity on its arrival to Nirn. Does not the Hist have the ability to create, wasnt it shown in Murkmire that the Argonians created the Xanneers and isn't it known that these Xanneers have wayshires dedicated to the stars, and does not the Annotated Anuad say that the Blood of Anu became the stars. I know from doing the Murkmire quests that the Argonians do change and that this cycle of death and rebirth seems more daedric in its nature so I do wonder is it possible that the Hist represents both - having the ability to create and change, but then I guess this would make the Hist Aedra - with the mingled blood of both Light and Dark/Anu and Padomey/Chaos and Order.

Why would an Anuic/Aedric aligned entity/race worship a Padomaic entity (Sithis)? The Xanmeers were constructed during the times of Old Sithis where Saxhleel of the past would create Vakka stones with the aetherial energy drawn from the stars. The Xanmeers were no longer after the change of Sithis from old to new, because Sithis is damn weird. The choice in temporary and weak housing was introduced with (Current) Sithis in representation to change. The Hist has acknowledged Sithis as the true creator for longest.

Also some padomaic entities can create. Lorkhan would be an example of this. It's the Daedra which cannot create. Padomay isn't a Daedra, she's above them and so is the Hist.

• Scythe_Mercer
    Scythe_Mercer
    ✭✭✭
    Why would a non-Padomaic entity worship Sithis? :thinking:
  • Eporem
    Eporem
    ✭✭✭

Why would an Anuic/Aedric aligned entity/race worship a Padomaic entity (Sithis)? The Xanmeers were constructed during the times of Old Sithis where Saxhleel of the past would create Vakka stones with the aetherial energy drawn from the stars. The Xanmeers were no longer after the change of Sithis from old to new, because Sithis is damn weird. The choice in temporary and weak housing was introduced with (Current) Sithis in representation to change. The Hist has acknowledged Sithis as the true creator for longest.

Also some padomaic entities can create. Lorkhan would be an example of this. It's the Daedra which cannot create. Padomay isn't a Daedra, she's above them and so is the Hist.

I have only come across lore that the Hist acknowledges Sithis maybe as a void or nothing or even a song though not as yet that the Hist acknowledges Sithis as the true creator - so I am hoping or wondering if you can share where it is said in lore that the Hist acknowledges Sithis as the true creator.
  • Claudman
    Claudman
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have only come across lore that the Hist acknowledges Sithis maybe as a void or nothing or even a song though not as yet that the Hist acknowledges Sithis as the true creator - so I am hoping or wondering if you can share where it is said in lore that the Hist acknowledges Sithis as the true creator.

https://www.imperial-library.info/content/skyrim-monomyth - Sithis is thus the Original Creator, an entity who intrinsically causes change without design. Even the hist acknowledge this being.
    https://www.imperial-library.info/content/lost-communion
    https://www.imperial-library.info/content/varieties-faith-argonians
    https://www.imperial-library.info/content/na-keshs-journal - The creatia is a thing of chaos. The call to Sithis is in its nature. -Na-Kesh on Hist Sap
    https://www.imperial-library.info/content/scales-shadow
    https://www.imperial-library.info/content/xul-thuxis (Potential spoilers)

You could also just listen to general Saxhleel philosophy which is stated ingame. Everything revolves around Sithis, the Hist or the Void/Nothing/Change. Sithis is that change, that nothing and that void. There is a reason why Shadowscales are revered in Saxhleel culture and so is Sithis (I.e. the many altars dedicated to Sithis in Murkmire). The talk of Old Sithis (the time of Stone-Nests and other prominent structures) is spoken about through quests in Murkmire.

When has a Saxhleel ever spoken positively or almost religiously of a metaphysical entity that wasn't Sithis or the Hist?
    Edited by Claudman on November 14, 2018 11:15PM

• Scythe_Mercer
    Scythe_Mercer
    ✭✭✭
    Are you sure you played Murkmire? Pretty sure the bodyguard of the main antag prays *to Sithis* to grant him power as he attempts to sacrifice Famia on an altar dedicated to Sithis in a Xanmeer during the final stages of the main story. (spoilers) Look at all the Nisswo in Murkmire they're priests of Sithis in the region.
  • Eporem
    Eporem
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for these links @Claudman though I am not truely convinced from reading that Sithis/Change is the true or first creator for if nothing is created how can it be changed and I begin to think too that the Hist just might be a representation of both creation and change, not just change.

@Scythe_Mercer yes, I am sure I played Murkmire:) though my first impression of the Argonians living there was of them wishing to live in the 'now' and of bonding and birth, though we were given the opportunity to see their history.

Edited by Eporem on November 15, 2018 1:05AM
  • Scythe_Mercer
    Scythe_Mercer
    ✭✭✭
    The evidence is presented, facts shown, it’s clear as day but we can agree to disagree. I can see countless times Sithis is the true creator as the facts and evidence shows.
  • Eporem
    Eporem
    ✭✭✭
    I am willing to accept that the Hist acknowledges Padomay as the creator of Change, though I hope in its wisdom the Hist also acknowledges that without Creation/Anu there would be nothing to change. -
  • Scythe_Mercer
    Scythe_Mercer
    ✭✭✭
    This thread started as a debate whether or not the Hist follows Sithis. The evidence states that the Hist indeed does, given the Hist Sap calls for Sithis and Na-Kesh stated that 'we must ignore his command'. This isn't about your opinion on 'hoping' that the Hist acknowledges Anu. This is about established lore. Not your headcanon.
  • Marto
    Marto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Hist worships Sithis because the Hist is wise, old and wide. It has learned and accepted that death is innevitable, and that escaping from it is pointless. It has learned to cope with that reality without becoming fully nihilistic, and it has taught its argonians the same.

It taught them to live their lives, explore, have children, experience everything the world has to give them, cause change. Will it last forever? No. But it will last enough for their tribe to tell stories, for the Hist to teach what its children had learned. Sithis will consume all. But that is fine.

Different cultures in Tamriel have different interpretations of the Anu-Padomay dichotomy. Most see them as good and evil, scholars see them as a necessary balance. Hell, some even go to the extreme, like the Clockwork Apostles (In the Clockwork City DLC) that straight up deny the existance of a "Padomay".

Even if Argonians or The Hist acknowledged Anu in some way, to them, its irrelevant. Anu is not doing anything. Nirn is already created, already living. Anu is absent.

From the perspective of Argonians, Sithis is everywhere.For good or ill.
    "According to the calculations of the sages of the Cult of the Ancestor Moth, the batam guar is the cutest creature in all Tamriel"
  • Eporem
    Eporem
    ✭✭✭
    Marto wrote: »
    Hell, some even go to the extreme, like the Clockwork Apostles (In the Clockwork City DLC) that straight up deny the existance of a "Padomay".

yes, from here:

imSCo8p.jpg

• Eporem
    Eporem
    ✭✭✭
    This thread started as a debate whether or not the Hist follows Sithis. The evidence states that the Hist indeed does, given the Hist Sap calls for Sithis and Na-Kesh stated that 'we must ignore his command'. This isn't about your opinion on 'hoping' that the Hist acknowledges Anu. This is about established lore. Not your headcanon.

'think' might have been a better word used rather than 'hope' - a thought that was placed in my head from reading the Annotated Anuad - stating that the Hist was one of the Twelve World of Creation - but you are right - this piece has yet to be established

Edited by Eporem on November 17, 2018 1:50PM