The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Music Box range should be adjustable?

NovaMarx
NovaMarx
✭✭✭✭✭
So like many others I was excited by the idea of being able to change the music in my home, with the use of a music box. But now that I have finally gotten it, and tried it, I am quite underwhelmed - and bordering on disappointed. (Note: I had not seen any previews and reviews of this item before buying, which I am regretting now...)

First of all, the music box is heavily range based. If you place it in a large room or outdoors you can quickly become out-of-range of the music, and the normal ambient music and sounds will return. This for me severely defeats the purpose of said music boxes. I was hoping to use the music box to change the ambiance of the home.

But to do this in the way I personally imagined would mean having to buy around 10+ of these boxes (which kinda feels like a money grab, LBH). Just take the new Psijic Villa as an example, where there are both massive indoor and outdoor spaces, where you very quickly and easily become out-of-range of the music, just by going from one end of the hall to the other.

This may seem a bit of a rant, and I guess it is. But housing is one of the main things keeping invested in the game atm, so when a housing item like this disappoints then it disappoints hard.

So my questions to the community are:

- Are you satisfied with the music box as is?
- Would you like to see the range increased, or perhaps even made adjustable?
- Is there another way you would like the music box improved?

Rant over, and good weekend to all! <3
"Feet are for walking. Hands are for hitting. Or shaking. Or waving. Sometimes for clapping."
- M'aiq the Liar
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Adjustable would be nice. Sometimes you want to fill the whole building with just the right atmosphere. Other times, you just want a little music box playing on the nightstand.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
  • Alphawolf01A
    Alphawolf01A
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    needs larger radius or fill the whole house. some areas like coldharbour surreal estate and erstwhile sanctuary, the ambient noise almost drowns out the box. Maybe add setting like "localized" for a radius effect and "ambient" for a full background music.
  • mayasunrising
    mayasunrising
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't been able to by one of them yet (I likely will when I get my crowns for the month) but from what I've been reading and hearing in videos they are not quite what I thought they would be. Like others I had hope they would allow us to select a custom song for our homes - even if it meant having to by different music boxes for different songs.

Does anyone know what the actual range is in yards (in game). Like if I were to place one in the crypt area of the Psijic Villa (large room behind the throne dais) would you hear it in the entire room - even if just faintly by the door?
    "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." Anaïs Nin

“There’s a difference between wanting to be looked at and wanting to be seen." Amanda Palmer

“A game is an opportunity to focus our energy, with relentless optimism, at something we’re good at (or getting better at) and enjoy. In other words, gameplay is the direct emotional opposite of depression.” Jane McGonigal

“They'll tell you you're too loud, that you need to wait your turn and ask the right people for permission. Do it anyway." Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adjustable? Definitely!

A variety of songs on each music box? Well we can live in hope, but hell might freeze over first.
  • mayasunrising
    mayasunrising
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aurelle1 wrote: »
    Adjustable? Definitely!

A variety of songs on each music box? Well we can live in hope, but hell might freeze over first.

haha. True! But with EHT we can create a frozen over hell! So rejoice! :p

The other option would be that instead of music boxes, they sell music choices for houses. So you buy a song and can then change it using a drop down in the Housing Editor's Option tab.
    "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." Anaïs Nin

“There’s a difference between wanting to be looked at and wanting to be seen." Amanda Palmer

“A game is an opportunity to focus our energy, with relentless optimism, at something we’re good at (or getting better at) and enjoy. In other words, gameplay is the direct emotional opposite of depression.” Jane McGonigal

“They'll tell you you're too loud, that you need to wait your turn and ask the right people for permission. Do it anyway." Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aurelle1 wrote: »
    Adjustable? Definitely!

haha. True! But with EHT we can create a frozen over hell! So rejoice! :p

The other option would be that instead of music boxes, they sell music choices for houses. So you buy a song and can then change it using a drop down in the Housing Editor's Option tab.

THIS!

Edit: But not one song per one house (before you get any smart ideas @ZO$!)
    Edited by Aurie on November 7, 2018 7:29PM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A mechanical windup music box with a volume control. What will they think of next? :smile:
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus