The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Master Merchant Tutorial

Revry
Revry
Soul Shriven
One of my essential add-ons for playing the economy is Master Merchant. It's a fantastic addition, but sometimes it takes a bit of poking to understand some of the functions. I get whispers pretty frequently from people asking about how to use a feature, so I figured I would just pull together some of the most common asks. To be fair, most of these points are already made on the Master Merchant description page at esoui.com. But I wanted to provide a little more verbose description for those new to the markets.

History Window

After you install Master Merchant you'll have a new window that appears when you open the Guild Store at a banker or while accessing your mail. It provides sales history across the different guilds you belong to. This is the sales history window highlighted in the screenshot below:

5cke3wuuinqy.png

The way the Guild Store/Trader system works in ESO is different than the auction house system available in many other MMOS. A full description of how guild stores and traders work is too long for right now, maybe it's something I'll cover in another post. But the simplest summary is that each guild is effectively a marketplace on its own. So if I'm a member of two trade focused guilds, and you're a member of two different trade focused guilds, we might potentially see very different common prices for sales and amount of demand. In ESO the focus is a little less on overall price for an item, and more about what the price is for the guilds you have access to.

Fortunately you have some great info available to help you determine that price. You have access to the sales information for all the transactions that take place for any of the guilds you're a member of. And that's what's presented in the Master Merchant history window. There are controls available to filter the info to just your sales or show them across all sellers, controls to roll up sales by seller or display each item individually, and a search box you can use to narrow things down. The history window is a great way to get a feel for what items are moving in the most volume or at the best prices across your guilds. For instance, this is how I view my sales for the day so far in Master Merchant, a view with just my sales and a single total line per guild:

a6fa6enct9q8.png

Item Tooltips

Having access to the history across your guilds is great info, but a vast majority of the time you just want to know what the common price for an item is. For instance your bags are full and you really want to loot the nirncrux that just popped up unexpectedly at a node. What can you destroy in your bags that isn't going to leave you crying later? Master Merchant adds two items to the tooltips that pop up when you hover over items in a list or click on their link in chat:

nirn35ll454n.png

The extra info added by Master Merchant is highlighted with a light blue rectangle in the image above. The first part is the line "MM price (153 sales/1530 items, 31 days): 236.60". Broken down into fields:
  • 153 sales : Master Merchant knows about 153 listings that were successfully sold across all my guilds.
  • 1530 items : You can sell more than one item in a stack. In my case the 153 listings had a total of 1530 items, which is an average of 10 items per listing.
  • 31 days : The amount of history used to calculate item info, by default all info. You can assign different ranges to the shift and control keys, and the tooltip will update if you hold down shift or control while the tip is visible.
  • 236.60 : This is the average price per individual item across all sales. So a single Columbine sells for just over 236 gold on average for my guilds.

The second bit of additional info that Master Merchant adds is the chart just below the "MM price" line. That's a scatter plot of the sales Master Merchant knows about for this item with the price on the vertical axis and time on the horizontal (older sales on the left, newer sales on the right). The dots on that graph are color coded by guild, but only if you have different colors set for your guilds. Guild colors are set in the social settings menu. Master Merchant uses the same colors for guilds as the chat box. The appropriate settings are highlighted with a light blue box in the screenshot below:

z4g13lcb2j1i.png

That scatter plot can be extremely useful to see trends in the data. Maybe certain items sell for a much higher price in one guild, you can tell from the color of the dots. Or maybe the price of a newly introduced item is trending down now that it's becoming more popular, you can tell from the dots trending down in the graph. Offload that item before the market tanks! I'm looking at you Perfect Roe. :smile:

Pricechecks

Chances are you've already seen something like "Pricecheck [Sanded Maple]" or just "PC [Sanded Maple]" in zone chat or in your guild chat if you're a member of a larger guild. That's someone asking for what other people see as the price for an item. Because the marketplaces in ESO are based around guild stores and traders different people will see different average values. So if someone is in a guild that's only shown a few sales for an item, or if they aren't in a guild at all, they'll often ask in chat for item info. Fortunately Master Merchant makes it very easy to post the summary line from the tooltip into chat to respond to these requests. If you right click on an item link in chat you'll get a popup menu that has a "Stats to Chat" option:

u6msdjualtj1.png

Deal Quality

The other place where average price info is most useful is when buying items yourself from a guild store or trader. Sure, you could roll over each item and check the sale price against the average price according to Master Merchant, but that can be really cumbersome. So when you view a list of items Master Merchant will put a summary deal quality value right in the list for you, with a numeric value color-coded based on the price of the sale relative to the average:

kcyvrlbsa2u0.png

Negative values are above the average Master Merchant price by the percent listed, and positive values are under the average price by the percent. The color coding is there to make it easy to spot deals. The colors in order from worst deal to best deal are:
  • Red - bad deal, item above average price
  • White
  • Green
  • Blue
  • Purple
  • Gold - fantastic deal!

Keep in mind however that price isn't the only determinant of value for an item, it's also related to demand if you're planning to flip the item. So before hitting buy right away on those purple and gold items it might be worth checking your sales tooltip to see how many have sold.

Feedback or Questions

If there's anything I got wrong in this guide, or something I left out that's really important for getting the most out of Master Merchant, please let me know. Leave me a response here or contact me in game @Revry. And if you have questions or would like to join our DC focused trading guild Tinkers'n'Traders please contact me. We're always looking for more folks interested in exploring the economy side of ESO. See you in game!
Edited by Revry on July 4, 2015 7:58PM
  • Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice tutorial. I personally don't use the addon due to LUA memory snags and also, I just don't spend enough time "playing the market" to really get the most out of it. I personally use Guild Store Search Extended to pull all the items currently for sale on all my guilds and text-search them all at once for the price stuff is currently listed for, and undercut that if I feel the price is fair. I know that a "min-maxing" economist might want to buy out competition if it is at a low price and post their own standard, but that is a bit beyond my level of interest at present.
  • GeraintMawr
    GeraintMawr
    ✭✭✭
    Is there any way to get a whole load of data at once, instead of waiting for it to build up over time?
    Maxed out characters...
    DC Breton Sorcerer (hyper crafter - yes everything!)
    EP Argonian Templar Healer
    AD Bosmer Stamina Nightblade (ah well)
    AD Redguard Dragonknight Tank
    DC Altmer Sorcress
    DC Khajiit Magicka Nightblade Sap Tank
    DC Dunmer Pyromage
    DC Breton Magika Necro
    DC Imperial Templar Health Build
    DC Nord Stam Sorc
    All end game ...
    DC Khajit Stamina Necro
    Wardens, Stamplars and like that ...
    ....are on the way!
  • Accion
    Accion
    It says it's "Dependency", what other addon do I need in order to make Master Mechant work?
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Guys, is the last version of Master Merchant bugged? I played on Sunday last time and I remember that before it showed the average price and so on and this time when I tried to sell mats in Guild store in Imperial City, I had 5 pieces of a material in my inventory, clicked on that stack of material to sell it, it showed the wrong amount of materials and I had to manually write there the right number that I want to sell, also the price was somehow weird, I was not able to sell anything, then I relogged and it worked (I was able to sell), but the number of materials in the stack was still showing wrong in the Master Merchant window, I still had to correct the number there....
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    oh it really was, today i go t a hot fix downloaded :smiley: , awesome !!
  • saf227_ESO
    saf227_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Here's a question, if any of you know:
    If I want to disable MM for some reason (entering a trial, for instance) do I disable JUST the MM add-in, or do I need to disable all the data files, too?
    Edited by saf227_ESO on December 25, 2016 12:10AM
  • Philgo68
    Philgo68
    ✭✭✭
    Disabling the first data file will disable all the pieces of Master Merchant.
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    MM is useful, and I use it. At the same time, I think this on addon is responsible for many items being rapidly devalued. That's because everyone tries to undercut the current average price to sell their items faster. An item posted below the current average price can be way above that average in a matter of days. A perfect example is all the motifs and new recipes from the New Life Festival. Some of the green recipes that sold for several thousand gold a week ago are now less than 100 gold. I'm sure supply and demand plays a part, but MM surely makes the price drop faster and steeper, because everyone is trying to unload their goods. Just to be clear, I like MM, but it's a double edged sword.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • Sgt_Morrigahn
    Sgt_Morrigahn
    Soul Shriven
    Can I still use MM to check prices even if I am not a part of a trading guild??
    We have a guild that is slowly building up .. atm only 30 members... and this is the only guild I'm a member of.. Thing is.. I am not active enough imo to join a trading guild, and trade .. as I only play when I feel for some game time .. but I still would love to be updated with fair prices on items I find..

Is there a way for people like me to still have a good use of MM??? can I scan other guilds over a few days ie. and see what they sold? or will MM only work for what I sell items for ( can it even read if I trade someone? )
  • Saoirse_Siobhan
    Saoirse_Siobhan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have a guild that is slowly building up .. atm only 30 members... and this is the only guild I'm a member of.. Thing is.. I am not active enough imo to join a trading guild, and trade .. as I only play when I feel for some game time .. but I still would love to be updated with fair prices on items I find..

Is there a way for people like me to still have a good use of MM??? can I scan other guilds over a few days ie. and see what they sold? or will MM only work for what I sell items for ( can it even read if I trade someone? )

@Sgt_Morrigahn Unfortunately no, MM shows you sales history based on the guilds you are already in. However, TTC addon gives you current listing prices of each guild store you visit (but not sales history) and is quite useful. You might want to check it out : esoui.com/downloads/info1245-TamrielTradeCentre.html

https://tamrieltradecentre.com/

Edited by Saoirse_Siobhan on April 2, 2017 1:47PM
    PC/EU DC
  • ViciousBunnii
    ViciousBunnii
    ✭✭✭

@Sgt_Morrigahn Unfortunately no, MM shows you sales history based on the guilds you are already in. However, TTC addon gives you current listing prices of each guild store you visit (but not sales history) and is quite useful. You might want to check it out : esoui.com/downloads/info1245-TamrielTradeCentre.html

https://tamrieltradecentre.com/

Yea, I use both. Love how MM shows guilds sales and TTC shows listings (from whoever uses the addon). It seems like a perfect combo to tell me how much to sell something for usually. It would be cool if they could combine their forces! ha :smiley:
    PC/NA

Forever salty about the Shadow Rider Senche
  • Armenua
    Armenua
    ✭✭✭
    There is a command for MM that does a search for dropped sales. I used it about a week and a half ago, but now I can't remember it. Do you know what it is?
  • Philgo68
    Philgo68
    ✭✭✭
    /mm missing
  • Crapgame
    Crapgame
    ✭✭✭
    What does the little bag of gold signify to the left of the guild name in your first image?
  • sylviermoone
    sylviermoone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crapgame wrote: »
    What does the little bag of gold signify to the left of the guild name in your first image?

It means that the item was sold to a person outside of your guild.
    Co-GM, Angry Unicorn Traders: PC/NA
    "Official" Master Merchant Tech Support
    and Differently Geared AF
    @sylviermoone
  • TheSkwee
    TheSkwee
    When I downloaded Master Merchant it had MM Data files with it. I put it in the main folder and now each one is popping up in the Addon section did I do that wrong.
  • rumple9
    rumple9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My mm is up to date but has never had the little bag of gold icon
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rumple9 wrote: »
    My mm is up to date but has never had the little bag of gold icon
    @rumple9

The original post is over 3 years old, my guess is that the interface has probably changed a bit since ...
    shades.gif

• eMKa8
    eMKa8
    ✭✭✭
    Hi 👋

I am using Master Merchant (MM) for quite a while however i have had some issues i cant seem to be able to resolve with the general settings ...

I am active in 4 trade guilds , and in the past i could see at the end of each week , or 30
    Days or ... how many i sold in each guild !

These days when i sell something i cant even see in what guild i made the sell. When opening my inbox it just says “sale in guild store” instead of “sale in - name guild”

How can i solve this ? I want to avoid to uninstall and install again.

I would like to be able to track every sale in every guild so that i know how much i am making + which ones are more profitable to stay in

Anyone else had this issue ?
  • eMKa8
    eMKa8
    ✭✭✭
    Philgo68 wrote: »
    /mm missing

What does this exactly do?