Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

How to allocate points to health, magicka, and stamina

valusthecateater
valusthecateater
✭✭✭
Hi. Fairly new to ESO and I started a magic-heavy Templar and a warrior-type DragonKnight. I have pretty much exclusively been increasing magicka for the Templar, but I have been splitting points between stamina and health for the DragonKnight. Should I be spreading the points around more for the Templar, or sticking with one trait for the DragonKnight? Does it even matter? Thanks!
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The general rule of thumb is that you pick either magicka or stamina and put most of your points into that. You only put enough points into health in order for your to survive in whatever activities you are doing. You never mix magicka and stamina on the same character as a general rule. Rules have exceptions though.

Meta players and trial runners tend to put no points into health unless tanking. I typically put 8 to 12 in health depending on the build and what i am doing with it.

You can reset your attributes, skills, and champion points( when you get them) later for a modest fee. So dont worry about getting it perfect the first time. Put points where you need them to progress.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then making an new character you want all into magic or stamina since you get lots of health as an low level buff.
    At max level you might want a bit health but many sets also give an health bonus
    And you want either magic or stamina.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's one school of thought that says to put all your points into one of them, and use enchantments for the others. The idea is that your point allocation represents your main direction with the character, and the others will need adjusting for different content. By using enchantments, you can more easily swap gear for PvP versus PvE, or different trials, etc. instead of having to re-spec (at a price).

You get re-spec scrolls as level-up rewards. The above advice is for end-game, and you need a different build at lower levels, where more of the content is played solo. So to build up, do whatever you want, making sure you acquire the skills you want to use. You can re-distribute attribute and skill points, but the skills you don't learn now will have to be learned later.
    Edited by ghastley on November 1, 2018 5:09PM
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My magic templar has all 64 attribute points in magicka since that fuels her heals and damage power. All her apparel is enchanted with magicka was well. Yet, she adventures with 18.6k health which is fine for keeping her alive. Her health comes from a variety of sources:
    Base health, health + magicka blue food, one health boost from one of her armor sets, health bonus from the top Undaunted passive and wearing all three armor types (5 light, 1 medium, 1 heavy). My magic sorc and nightblade do basically the same thing.

My bow/bow stam sorc, warden and nightblade characters all do basically the same thing as well except all focus is on stamina instead of magicka - with similar provisions to attain 18-19k health.

The reason is that stam powers the damage for stam chars and magicka powers the damage for mag characters. So if you want good damage it makes sense.

My main tank is different since he doesn't care about damage. He just wants enough mag and stam to cast the abilities he needs. Those abilities he needs are not for damage but for controlling the battlefield. He spreads his points, enchantments etc around to end up with fairly typical DK tank numbers: 43k health, 23k stam, 22k mag. He is extremely survivable but the price he pays is that his damage is negligible. But that is what a tank is about.

Edited by AcadianPaladin on November 1, 2018 5:10PM
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • valusthecateater
    valusthecateater
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the replies. Definitely helpful information.
  • bongtokin420insd16
    bongtokin420insd16
    ✭✭✭✭
    trueness. My NB kitty cruises with 18.6ish health too and i have no issue. Being a vamp does help the low end mitigation though.
    Kaz_Wastelander PS4NA
  • valusthecateater
    valusthecateater
    ✭✭✭
    trueness. My NB kitty cruises with 18.6ish health too and i have no issue. Being a vamp does help the low end mitigation though.

I was able to find someone willing to give me the vamps, but I have not seen much difference (other than decreased health and significant increased fire damage). I have not fed to reduce vampire level though, so that may be my problem.
  • bongtokin420insd16
    bongtokin420insd16
    ✭✭✭✭
    as your health drops their is a passive that allows you to mitigate it. Stay out the fire though lol.
    Kaz_Wastelander PS4NA