The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Will the new evasion changes make nightblade tanks harder to kill? (with AoE's at least)

TheGreatBlackBear
TheGreatBlackBear
✭✭✭✭✭
I'm still trying to figure out what they (ZoS) expect to happen to an evade tank if he can't evade. And when taunted will the boss even target me with AoEs enough to make this change worth it? It seems strange, I'll be honest.
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nothing, they dont want evade tank.

And yes, the change makes NB tanks using blur harder to kill by AoEs, but thats like 5% of ways how tanks die...
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly, this new Evasion is borderline worthless for Tanks. Most AoE nowadays do either negligible damage to Tanks or are OHKOs that make Evasion useless anyways.

I've ended up just taken off Blur on my hotbar entirely. It was justified before as it helped with sustain but now, it just feels lackluster to even use.
    Argonian forever
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Basically ZOS said, "Tanks, it's silly you can passive dodge those big attacks, you need to block them or,get the heck out of the way."

"On the other hand, you can stand in 25% more stupid."
  • IwakuraLain42
    IwakuraLain42
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Basically ZOS said, "Tanks, it's silly you can passive dodge those big attacks, you need to block them or,get the heck out of the way."

IDK if this is true but if it is it just shows that the combat team has no idea how nightblade tanking works (which wouldn't surprise me). The old Evasion was always just a chance to dodge an attack, you didn't used it to reliably survive the Big Attacks (which you had block anyway), you used it for the chance to keep you Stamina which nightblade tanks have a hard time to keep up.
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The evasion change was the final nail in the coffin for my nightblade tank. I used to love it, now he’s just a dress up doll. It’s really depressing when I think about the way we used to be.
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • TheGreatBlackBear
    TheGreatBlackBear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol RIP I'm on console so those changes haven't happened yet. Literally rolled a NB tank a week ago. Poor timing on my part. I do like it and I'll continue. Evasion changes or not.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Useless skill for tanks, medium tanking RIP
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really ZOS doing everything to turn away people from tanking.. dodge changes, horn changes, everything to push you in one bulky meta where you permablock drinking potions and buffing/debuffing everything around, no fluid gameplay at all.
    Tankbot, healbot and two elite dps - that’s ideal composition.
  • kendellking_chaosb14_ESO
    kendellking_chaosb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly I feel that ZoS makes changes to powers and passives and just use Tanks as an excuse. In fights where you have to just perm block for a bit, this was needed for Shadow Tanks it helped save stamina. The Siphon Attacks change really hurt Shadow tanks. Yes sap tank was OP but if you landed that one attack while blocking that proced that sweet return you could have outlasted a DK tank. Now you have to drop block to spam light attacks, for a return that is only good if you weave something tank are not doing.

Really don’t think ZoS understands how to balance tanks to make them useful for every class. Saying you can tank vet dungeons don’t mean much of anything. If your tank can’t cut it in all Endgame it’s not a good enough tank.

They set the bar low for themselves “any class can tank most content to that’s fair right?” If you can’t do anything endgame then the rest is pointless. Why learn to tank on NB, Sorc or Templar only to need to pull out your Warden or DK when a real tank is needed.
    Chaos Shadow-Scale: Shadow Archer
    Chaos Death-Scale: Shadow Knight
    Tanks-With-Sap-Essence: Dark Mage
    Dark Brotherhood Listener: Blade of Argonia
    Chaos Dragon-Scale: Draconic Shield Master
    Chaos Light-Scale: Marsh Paladin
    Chaos Lightning-Scale: Daedric Master
    Hurricane Chaos: Storm Archer
    Bask-In-My-Light: Warrior of The Light
    Forged-In-Dragon-Fire: Pyro Mage
    Guardian of The Hist: Light Mender
    Chaos of Black Marsh: Master of The Burning Sword
    Star of Chaos: Frost Blade Champion
    Chaos-Lightning-Tower: Lightning Shield Master

For the King of Argonia
    May Sithis hold back his Void
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think the real issue is that a buff called Evasion doesn't allow you to evade anything at all. Quite the opposite, in fact; it encourages you to stand right inside AoE damage...

Am I the only one irked by this grammatical nitpick? :P
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    why would you try to kill anyone in pvp with aoe's?
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

IDK if this is true but if it is it just shows that the combat team has no idea how nightblade tanking works (which wouldn't surprise me). The old Evasion was always just a chance to dodge an attack, you didn't used it to reliably survive the Big Attacks (which you had block anyway), you used it for the chance to keep you Stamina which nightblade tanks have a hard time to keep up.

Well, I suspect it was aimed more at PVP, where passive dodge let people escape a lot more damage than a PVE tank could.

On the other hand, its not the first time ZOS has taken on the passive dodge in PVE, as when they destroyed Tava's Favor as a meta set for tanks, so its entirely possible that ZOS doesn't like passive dodge in PVE either.
  • TheGreatBlackBear
    TheGreatBlackBear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol out of all the broken aspects of combat passive dodging seems like an odd one to go after. And besides, nightblades are supposed to be harder to land an attack on. It's part of the class identity. It'd be suspicious if the stand your ground templar for example could passively dodge though.