The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Warden tank with ice staff on backbar possible for end-game?

mrtudi
mrtudi
Looking at a few tank builds for wardens, I see they use a lot more magicka than stamina so I thought maybe an ice staff on back bar could help with sustain. Could that work?
  • Froil
    Froil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use an ice staff on my Warden tank and I can do HM DLC dungeons. It's a little tricky, but there's always an opportunity to get some magicka back/free taunt. Also it's just thematically appropriate.
    "Best" healer PC/NA
  • Psyonico
    Psyonico
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, it's possible, my Warden tank doesn't do it, but I've got a couple other tanks that do.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Its only viable as a tank backbar.
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • erlewine
    erlewine
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, but you won't want to put points in the destro passive that causes blocking to consume magicka instead of stamina.
    eisley the worst
  • Maura_Neysa
    Maura_Neysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, its possible. My build that I have used for all Vet content
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=20452
    Maiden Maura - Xbox NA
    Warden Ice Tank (By far my favorite) -RIP #Nerfmire
    Stormproof, Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer(solo tanked), Ophidian Overlord, Assistant Alienist, Boethiah's Scythe,Maw of Lorkhaj Conqueror, Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor
    Major
    Dragon Knight Healer (Since Homestead)
    Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer,
    Warden 2x Bow DPS
    Stormproof, Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer, Ophidian Overlord, Assistant Alienist, Boethiah's Scythe, Maw of Lorkhaj Conqueror, Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor, Sunspire Saint,
    Others
    PvP StamDen, Warden Healer, MagDen, Stamplar, StamSorc, DK Failed Attempt, NB Failed Attempt

Playing BiS isn't impressive, playing unique at BiS lvl, THAT's impressive.

• Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://www.xynodegaming.com/

The Atro tank...warden
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My NB tank tanked all vet dungeons, vMoL, vDSA, vBRP with icestaff backbar. Warden tanking being much easier, I would definitely say it is possible.
  • Psyonico
    Psyonico
    ✭✭✭
    erlewine wrote: »
    Yes, but you won't want to put points in the destro passive that causes blocking to consume magicka instead of stamina.

That's tri-focus, which is also what causes you to taunt on heavy attacks. Why wouldn't you want that?
  • Maura_Neysa
    Maura_Neysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Psyonico wrote: »
    erlewine wrote: »

That's tri-focus, which is also what causes you to taunt on heavy attacks. Why wouldn't you want that?

It depends on your style. There are two.
    One - is to manage your resources by swapping what you block with. You take Tri-Focus and when you are low on Stamina you block on the Ice Staff, and when you are low on Magicka, block on the S&B. I have seen it done for vHoF, but it is not my style

Two - Don't take Tri-Focus.
    - Taunt is too slow to be useful at End Game at all. So you will never use it to taunt or to get the Damage Shield.
    - Blocking on Magicka. Wardens are much more magicka based tank than a DK. You have no burst return of Stamina, so you need to control the drain. For me (pre Arctic Blast nerf) the only stamina skill I ran was Pierce Armor. I already had Minor Maim covered and Major Heroism instead of just Minor.
    - Resource Management, this just makes it simple. You will never be caught on one bar while needing a skill from the other bar, but without the ability to switch because you dont have the resources to block on the other bar.

Honestly Meditate made a lot of this less important, but I, at least, have zero interest in anything that Tri-Focus has to offer.
    Maiden Maura - Xbox NA
    Warden Ice Tank (By far my favorite) -RIP #Nerfmire
    Stormproof, Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer(solo tanked), Ophidian Overlord, Assistant Alienist, Boethiah's Scythe,Maw of Lorkhaj Conqueror, Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor
    Major
    Dragon Knight Healer (Since Homestead)
    Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer,
    Warden 2x Bow DPS
    Stormproof, Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer, Ophidian Overlord, Assistant Alienist, Boethiah's Scythe, Maw of Lorkhaj Conqueror, Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor, Sunspire Saint,
    Others
    PvP StamDen, Warden Healer, MagDen, Stamplar, StamSorc, DK Failed Attempt, NB Failed Attempt

Playing BiS isn't impressive, playing unique at BiS lvl, THAT's impressive.