Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Correct Combination of Stats for Max Upfront Damage - Bow

thedude33
thedude33
✭✭✭✭✭
I'm trying to understand and figure out the optimal combination of stats for upfront damage for bow in PvP.

For instance Archers Mind looks decent. But two of it's stats are Weapon Critical. 833 Weapon critical x 2 = + 7.4% crit chance. That doesn't seem like a lot. Especially when your first arrow is automatically a crit. ( if in fact that is still true)

So not sure that set is optimal for that playstyle.

I'm also unsure how Stamina, Weapon Skill and Penetration work together. If it was based on 100%, would a good ratio be 33.3% for each of the three? ...or is a different split more optimal?

Lastly, I'm thinking that improving crit damage maybe should be a focus. I'm not sure how to increase that.
1v1 Win/Loss Record in PvP.
1 Wins - 392 Losses (guy was AFK)

• susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a certain bugged set that gives huge damage when used with ranged skills. Won't mention it though, don't want it to get nerfed.

Otherwise, nothing beats Spriggan+Marksman+Balorgh.
  • raistin87
    raistin87
    ✭✭✭
    To my knowledge:

- Stamina and weapon damage are additive with each other where 100 weapon damage is equivalent to 1060 stamina.
    - Since i) base values of set/mundus bonuses are higher for weapon damage and ii) you get higher % boost to weapon damange from major brutality, medium armor, fighers guild passives and nb passive, stacking weapon damange is preferable
    - Extra damange from marksman/hawkseye/asylum/minor berserk are additive with one another, but multiplicative with weapon damage and stamina
    - Penetration affect your damage in non-linear fashion. 33k resist on target reduces the damage by 50% with progression from 0 to 50% being linear. Thus, when your target has max resists, 1k penetration add roughtly 3% damage, while when your target is running around naked 1k penetration adds roughly 1.5% damage.
    - Without going into the math, stacking crit is suboptimal, because i) the set/mundus crit bonuses are inferior to damage contribution you get from + weapon damage and ii) competent pvpers run impreg and impen, reducing your crit damage significantly

In general, I would go with Marksman + Hawkseye + Master/Asylum bow or 2 + weapon damage moster set pieces.
  • thedude33
    thedude33
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stacking crit chance or crit damage is suboptimal?

Ive never been a fan of Marksman. Two of the bonuses are Stam recovery. Which don't help at all. I have used basic testing with Marksmen on players. Tested the damage compared to other sets. Marksmen didn't do as well. Small sample size of about 100 arrows vs heavy, medium and light. I'm sure someone better at testing might have different results.

• JAwtunes
    JAwtunes
    ✭✭✭✭
    How accurate is the online build editor?

It returns a value that shows the effective weapon damage that includes penetration, WD, Stam, crit damage/ chance and other modifiers. I have used it in the past to compare set ups at a high level. I did a quick test and Automaton and Spriggan came out looking very good (note that you have to manually add the Automaton set bonus to get the effective weapon damage to work, though it will increase tool tips on skills as happens in the game itself).

I would be interested to know what other people think of the build editor in general.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildEditor
  • thedude33
    thedude33
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also am curious how accurate the Effective Weapon Damage is

• thedude33
    thedude33
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    .. and I'm guessing no Lethal Arrow, that you need to use Focused Aim with Automation ?

• JAwtunes
    JAwtunes
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wasn't necessarily looking at specific skills or weapons, but yes for a bow you would need to use focused aim and would also need to drop poison injection for silver shards or crushing weapon if you went with Auto.
  • thedude33
    thedude33
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JAwtunes wrote: »

It returns a value that shows the effective weapon damage that includes penetration, WD, Stam, crit damage/ chance and other modifiers. I have used it in the past to compare set ups at a high level. I did a quick test and Automaton and Spriggan came out looking very good (note that you have to manually add the Automaton set bonus to get the effective weapon damage to work, though it will increase tool tips on skills as happens in the game itself).

I would be interested to know what other people think of the build editor in general.

How did you manually add the weapon damage to the calculator?

Edit: I figured it out. Yes, it makes a big difference
    Edited by thedude33 on October 31, 2018 12:57PM

• JAwtunes
    JAwtunes
    ✭✭✭✭
    thedude33 wrote: »
    JAwtunes wrote: »

How did you manually add the weapon damage to the calculator?

Edit: I figured it out. Yes, it makes a big difference

Indeed. According to the editor its a great damage set but still just behind Spriggan. Also, I'm pretty sure you need to add the 400WD to the weapon damage calculation as Set.WeaponDamage before adding it to the effective weapon damage. This way it is scaled up by WD modifiers.

This seems to be how the 5pc 400WD works based on my in game testing but I would like to hear what other people think as I haven't found anything in the editor help files about these types of bonuses.
  • The_Brosteen
    The_Brosteen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    susmitds wrote: »
    There's a certain bugged set that gives huge damage when used with ranged skills. Won't mention it though, don't want it to get nerfed.

Otherwise, nothing beats Spriggan+Marksman+Balorgh.

So theres a set thats bugged but you dont want it to be known that its bugged so it will stay bugged. Good to know.
  • Curtdogg47
    Curtdogg47
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sets that I like TBS, Marksman, Spriggians, Hawkeyes, Hundings Rage, Archers Mind. Depending on the patch and changes I tend to use various combinations of these.
    And normally 1 kena and 1 veil.

I think there are some dropped sets out there that would be better or pair better. But I don’t really like to farm sets. So I try to make it work with what I got or what is easily attainable.

I tend to focus on my weapon damage and stamina to get them as high as I can.
    Edited by Curtdogg47 on November 6, 2018 8:26PM