The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Raising Metalworking Ranks

clwinters
clwinters
I'm currently at a Blacksmith Rank of 40 and Metalworking rank of 7. What do I have to do to get to Rank 8? I thought as soon as I got to Blacksmith rank 35 I would automatically jump to Rank 8. Can someone advise me what to do.
Thanks.
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You'll need to put another skill point into your Metalworking passive.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • clwinters
    clwinters
    Been trying but can't get it to go up to next level
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just to cover our bases, do you have skill points available?
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    PC NA
  • clwinters
    clwinters
    Yes
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So when you say that you're trying to get it to go up to the next level, what exactly are you doing?
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    PC NA
  • mexicutioner915
    Check the skill , it will tell you what level you have to be at in metalworking to put in another skill point. Deconstruct a bunch of useless items.....then spend a skill point once it allows you
    Edited by mexicutioner915 on September 19, 2017 3:16PM
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If his (or her) blacksmithing skill is already at level 40, then the unlock should be available for rank 8 and 9 without having to deconstruct more stuff to level the skill further. I'm just not sure why he can't boost the Metalworking passive unless there's a misunderstanding going on.
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    PC NA
  • clwinters
    clwinters
    I finally was able to get quicksilver open but I no longer have any skill points and can't seem to get any more
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rank 8 unlocks at level 40, if you have a skillpoint. If you are L35 you aren't high enough. Sorry post isn't clear as it mentions 40 and 35.

Hit L40, put the skill point in and away you go.

If you need more clear zones of skyshards and do main quest, alliance quest siege intro in Cyrodiil, group events in public dungeons. Etc
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Akibahachiroku
    Akibahachiroku
    Soul Shriven
    So im really a noob here, how do i start the metalworking skill? Ive been searching and i cant seen to use the right words or something cuz im getting nothing... any advice helps, flame away if need be haha
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So im really a noob here, how do i start the metalworking skill? Ive been searching and i cant seen to use the right words or something cuz im getting nothing... any advice helps, flame away if need be haha

If you're not seeing Blacksmithing at all on your skill list, just visit and interact with a blacksmithing station to unlock it.
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    PC NA
  • silvermistktralasub17_ESO
    There has been a bug recently that keeps you from improving a skill when you get it available. from what I've heard, generally reloading fixes the issue.

@Alassirana
  • SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »
    Rank 8 unlocks at level 40, if you have a skillpoint. If you are L35 you aren't high enough. Sorry post isn't clear as it mentions 40 and 35.

Hit L40, put the skill point in and away you go.

If you need more clear zones of skyshards and do main quest, alliance quest siege intro in Cyrodiil, group events in public dungeons. Etc

Did something change?

All my charts still have Metalworking VIII at L35 and IX at L40.