The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Make Sheath Weapon Exit Combat

Vapirko
Vapirko
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
If some one can think of a potential pitfall to this let me know but I can’t think of one. If you can sheath your weapon it should force a combat exit. This would solve the issue of having to run half way to the next keep because one NPC hit you with a ranged attack. It would also solve the very annoying issue of getting inside a keep during a battle and then not being able to switch up abilities because you were attacked on the way in. For example, rapids assist add on has been a little messed up and I ended up with rapids instead of POTL on my bar even though it took the AD several minutes to get into Ash. But that whole time the game had me stuck in combat even though I didn’t fire any siege and tried everything to exit. But what reason should there be for me not to be able to change skills in that case.
Edited by Vapirko on October 25, 2018 11:06AM

Make Sheath Weapon Exit Combat 36 votes

Yes, Sheath Weapons = Exit Combat
66%
SolarikenGilvothkillimandrosb16_ESORohausEdziuWitchyWarriorMinnoSleep724LutalloKdkaReactAntonShangeonsocalCarcharodontosaurusNelothJierdanitnecr0oTheYKcidWrathOfInnosDivineFirstYOLO 24 votes
Not A Good Idea (why?)
33%
idkDrahnsmacx250DankstaThe_ProtagonistJimmy_The_FixerMaryalFakeFoxATomiX96AznoxmojomoodDonny_Vito 12 votes
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not A Good Idea (why?)
    This would allow you to mount, change gear, skills, quickslots, port, sneak etc. while basically being in combat. Of course it would solve the issue of being stuck in fight, but it would create a massive amount of new problems and possible exploits.
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FakeFox wrote: »
    This would allow you to mount, change gear, skills, quickslots, port, sneak etc. while basically being in combat. Of course it would solve the issue of being stuck in fight, but it would create a massive amount of new problems and possible exploits.

I’m not sure I see why this would be a problem. Sure we are not used to being able to do these things. But if someone wants to put away their weapon and try to ride away on a horse without waiting 30 seconds first I have no objection.

And who is using so many different consumables that they need more than 8 quickslots during combat? Will they really be at an advantage if they stop to dig though their inventory mid fight.

And as for porting, it takes a long time to port somewhere when you are not at a wayshrine. This ~10s animation could be interruptible of that would help.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmm, well I actually did think of this, but I figured good luck if you want to try and put away your weapons and go into stealth lol while you’re being attacks. The only people who can do that successfully are NBs and they do it anyway. As for riding off well, I’d also think that would fail most of the time and how much of a purpose would it really serve if you did manage? Sorry but I don’t see the “exploits.”
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still sheath prior to sprinting...old habits die hard :)
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Maryal
    Maryal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not A Good Idea (why?)
    putting away weapons can quickly easily be done with a single key stroke --

If you could literally exit combat 'mid combat' with a single key stroke, what's to stop someone from taking that one step further by pressing one more button to completely switch-out gear/weapons and/or skills and abilities on their bar (add-ons make it this easy, but you have to be 'out of combat' to do this). That is the real problem.

Edited by Maryal on October 25, 2018 1:46AM
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this would be so awesome.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maryal wrote: »

If you could literally exit combat 'mid combat' with a single key stroke, what's to stop someone from taking that one step further by pressing one more button to completely switch-out gear/weapons and/or skills and abilities on their bar (add-ons make it this easy, but you have to be 'out of combat' to do this). That is the real problem.

Again, and I’m not really sure who you normally fight. But if someone wants to try equipping an entirely different loadout while fighting me they’re welcome to try.
  • Aznox
    Aznox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not A Good Idea (why?)
    Vapirko wrote: »

Again, and I’m not really sure who you normally fight. But if someone wants to try equipping an entirely different loadout while fighting me they’re welcome to try.

I have half a dozen different loadouts accessible from keyboard quick slots.

Changing all my sets and abilities takes me no more than one sec when i'm not in combat.
    Aznox
    PC EU
    Khajiit Orc Bosmer Stamina Sorcerer and Werewolf Stage 3 Vampire
    I live in Battlegrounds
    Theorycrafting enthusiast
    Official Cheese Lord
    CP1500+ club
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aznox wrote: »

Changing all my sets and abilities takes me no more than one sec when i'm not in combat.

Yes I’m aware of the add on. Can you honestly say that if you were in a 1v1 or out numbered situation you would stop, put away your weapons, swap gear and resume fighting? If you were fighting a half competetant opponent you’d be dead before you were ready to fight again. I mean if you’re claiming that you could have access to too many skills in a fight, I guess it’s possible, but I think the chance of failure would be far greater than success. At the very least you’d have to find a LOS or quiet spot to re equip, bring up your buffs again, and I still don’t think it would provide much of a tactical advantage. At any rate though ZOS needs to do something about it. Put it on a lower timer then, but they keep saying they’ve fixed it and the issue persists. So idk maybe 10 seconds after you’ve last been hit?
  • TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Could potentially be abused if an NB cloaked > sheath > completely change their bar and gear setup using a wardrobe addon (bindable to a hotkey). All this before the duration of cloak even expired, so it would be nearly impossible to prevent.

I do want this idea to work, though. The stuck in combat bug has been completely unbearable ever since the Nerfmire "fix". You now cannot swap skills until your character drop the combat state entirely. Prior to Wolfhunter, before the bug, you could swap skills (though not gear) while still in a combat state if you hadn't taken damage for a few seconds.

How 'bout forcing a combat exit IF your weapon has been sheathed for 10s and you didn't take damage during that timeframe?
    Edited by TheYKcid on October 25, 2018 7:04AM
    PC/NA — Daggerfall Covenant — BGs, Kaalgrontiid
    Kalazar ChalhoubRedguard Nord Stamplar
    Kalaron Caemor — Altmer Magsorc
    Kalahad Cirith — Dunmer Magden
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TheYKcid wrote: »
    Could potentially be abused if an NB cloaked > sheath > completely change their bar and gear setup using a wardrobe addon (bindable to a hotkey). All this before the duration of cloak even expired, so it would be nearly impossible to prevent.

I do want this idea to work, though. The stuck in combat bug has been completely unbearable ever since the Nerfmire "fix". You now cannot swap skills until your character drop the combat state entirely. Prior to Wolfhunter, before the bug, you could swap skills (though not gear) while still in a combat state if you hadn't taken damage for a few seconds.

How 'bout forcing a combat exit IF your weapon has been sheathed for 10s and you didn't take damage during that timeframe?

That could work for sure. I suppose in group play it’s possible being able to switch load outs could be an issue? But if you’re not already equipped in your strongest/best situational gear when a fight starts it’s unlikely you could find the time to sheath weapons, switch load outs and come back. But sure putting a timer after sheathing weapons is a good idea. Anything to avoid getting stuck in combat for 30 seconds or a minute or more after being attacked.
    Edited by Vapirko on October 25, 2018 7:07AM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not A Good Idea (why?)
    It should work the opposite. If you are out of combat you should be able to sheath weapons and if you are in combat you cannot.

In PvP it could cause issues as YKid explained above. In PvE there really is not a need for it. Most NPCs will drop agro if you move far enough away.

There is an in combat bug in the game. But Zos needs to fix their stuff.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    It should work the opposite. If you are out of combat you should be able to sheath weapons and if you are in combat you cannot.

In PvP it could cause issues as YKid explained above. In PvE there really is not a need for it. Most NPCs will drop agro if you move far enough away.

There is an in combat bug in the game. But Zos needs to fix their stuff.

Sure I guess, but we just need a way that you can let the game know that there’s no reason for you to be tagged as “in combat.” Since sheathing weapons is more of an aesthetic choice than a combat choice, it just seems like it might be good to tie it in to the “in combat” status. Also since one would likely signal the end of a fight by sheathing a weapon it makes sense in that respect, since the issue here is that the game states you are still in combat when in fact there may be no enemies around for miles.
    Edited by Vapirko on October 25, 2018 7:11AM
  • Aznox
    Aznox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not A Good Idea (why?)

Yes I’m aware of the add on. Can you honestly say that if you were in a 1v1 or out numbered situation you would stop, put away your weapons, swap gear and resume fighting? If you were fighting a half competetant opponent you’d be dead before you were ready to fight again.

That's 3 actions :
    - Press Sheath weapon
    - Press Keybind for build that is a perfect counter to your opponent
    - Press Bar swap

I do 3 actions in the same second (light attack - pierce armor - bash) multiple times in any given fight.
    This is no different.

Hard forcing out of combat at will cannot work. Then when could talk about timers and such, but this is not different than "fix the in-combat bug".
    Edited by Aznox on October 25, 2018 7:20AM
    Aznox
    PC EU
    I live in Battlegrounds
    Official Cheese Lord
    CP1500+ club
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Yes I’m aware of the add on. Can you honestly say that if you were in a 1v1 or out numbered situation you would stop, put away your weapons, swap gear and resume fighting? I

You do know that you can put up hots, dodge, sprint for LOS, sheat weapons WHILE sprinting, push one hotkey and come back from around that tree with a better suited setup? It's not like you have to stand still or even stop sprinting to put away your weapons. I know you find the idea unlikely to not having already the best load out on combat start but you can't have the eierlegendewollmilchsau all the times. Play a ranged mNB and run into a flapping DK, you wish you'd have gone melee.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to say yes as it would help solve those issues where you get stuck in combat after it's clearly over.

However I can foresee it becoming some kind of new exploited mechanic to add more complex tricks to PvP. As others have said people finding way to exit combat, do something combat doesn't allow before they're flagged back in.

Maybe if they still had a 10 second cool down on it taking you out of combat, since you last took or dealt damage. However I see escape skills like cloak and streak still finding ways to get out and exploit it.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes I’m aware of the add on. Can you honestly say that if you were in a 1v1 or out numbered situation you would stop, put away your weapons, swap gear and resume fighting? I

You do know that you can put up hots, dodge, sprint for LOS, sheat weapons WHILE sprinting, push one hotkey and come back from around that tree with a better suited setup? It's not like you have to stand still or even stop sprinting to put away your weapons. I know you find the idea unlikely to not having already the best load out on combat start but you can't have the eierlegendewollmilchsau all the times. Play a ranged mNB and run into a flapping DK, you wish you'd have gone melee.

That’s literally the one class where that might be applicable. And surprise surprise, a mag NB could simple cloak away and come back later if they so chose.
  • Aznox
    Aznox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not A Good Idea (why?)

That’s literally the one class where that might be applicable. And surprise surprise, a mag NB could simple cloak away and come back later if they so chose.

What are you talking about ?

Invisibility ? Any class can pop an invis pot.

Changing ranged attacks for something else against a DK with wings ? Any stam class might want to swap-out bow.

Hell, you would see people get a few full sets of fire/shock/cold jewelry enchants to be able to negate their opponent's damage at the push of a button.
    Aznox
    PC EU
    I live in Battlegrounds
    Official Cheese Lord
    CP1500+ club
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have better solution. Automatically exit combat when not attacking, being attacked or buffing/healing someone in combat for 10-20s.

Or maybe this is insane suggestion and impossible to code in
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SodanTok wrote: »
    I have better solution. Automatically exit combat when not attacking, being attacked or buffing/healing someone in combat for 10-20s.

Somehow I feel like this is the system now, but it just doesn’t work.
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SodanTok wrote: »

Somehow I feel like this is the system now, but it just doesn’t work.

Because there are some other hidden reasons why someone should be in combat that are for some reason glitching this. So I say they have to get rid of them and limit it strictly and easily to this. I can run mounted around resource, get hit by guard and spend next 10 minutes being 'stuck' in combat. Where from combat log I can see its not even 10min, but for some reason every 40 or so seconds I exit combat and instantly reenter it.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Changing ranged attacks for something else against a DK with wings ? Any stam class might want to swap-out bow.

Hell, you would see people get a few full sets of fire/shock/cold jewelry enchants to be able to negate their opponent's damage at the push of a button.

Ok, well as someone suggested put a 10-15 second timer on it then. I just tossed out an idea because it’s been an issue for ever and ZOS has not fixed it and certainly there’s a way to do and it certainly seems like some sort of tie in to sheathing your weapons to signal a end or a countdown to the end of combat could be one way to do it. Better than not being able to fix bars/swap out skills when you’re sitting in a keep for 1-3 minutes. Or having to walk halfway to the next keep.
  • Aznox
    Aznox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not A Good Idea (why?)

Ok, well as someone suggested put a 10-15 second timer on it then. I just tossed out an idea because it’s been an issue for ever and ZOS has not fixed it and certainly there’s a way to do and it certainly seems like some sort of tie in to sheathing your weapons to signal a end or a countdown to the end of combat could be one way to do it. Better than not being able to fix bars/swap out skills when you’re sitting in a keep for 1-3 minutes. Or having to walk halfway to the next keep.

Hey thanks for trying to make things better, i'm just a tryhard showing you how tryhards are waiting to exploit any flaw in game mechanics ;)
    Aznox
    PC EU
    I live in Battlegrounds
    Official Cheese Lord
    CP1500+ club
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey thanks for trying to make things better, i'm just a tryhard showing you how tryhards are waiting to exploit any flaw in game mechanics ;)

You’re probably right tbh lol. I don’t think of these things because I wouldn’t exploit it myself. It’s just one of those qol changes that would be good to get fixed. Being stuck in combat on an near empty server because one NPC hit you near Ales and you’re already at bleakers and still trying to get on your horse is just stupid. And one of the many little things that gets on your nerves in Cyro.
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not A Good Idea (why?)

Hmm, well I actually did think of this, but I figured good luck if you want to try and put away your weapons and go into stealth lol while you’re being attacks. The only people who can do that successfully are NBs and they do it anyway. As for riding off well, I’d also think that would fail most of the time and how much of a purpose would it really serve if you did manage? Sorry but I don’t see the “exploits.”

In PvE you could simply swap out your entire build for execute phases, resulting in far higher DPS and making gear change addons mandatory. In PvP it would be harder to get something out of but you could still swap out skills to whatever you need while fighting someone. With addons all you need is one second out of combat and you have a entirely different build.
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • Donny_Vito
    Donny_Vito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not A Good Idea (why?)
    I like the general purpose, but I would need a timer on it. Sheath your weapon, and then 5 seconds after without you casting/taking damage then you're out of combat. This would potentially solve the problem of being stuck in combat and also prevent people from abusing add-ons to switch gear too quickly while in PvP.
  • killahsin
    killahsin
    ✭✭✭
    As far as shealth weapon pulling you out of combat i agree this would be a simple solution but it would require some damage checks. A timer would be a good solution but im not sure that a 5 second timer is a good solution. A dmg type and or radius check would solve this.
    Edited by killahsin on October 25, 2018 3:42PM
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love this idea
  • mojomood
    mojomood
    ✭✭✭
    Not A Good Idea (why?)
    Would be abused in PvP.

It would be nice if sheathing your weapon triggered the game to recalculate if you are in combat based on proximity to or recent attack from a live opponent.