Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Venting-Be careful when you buy from best buy.

sinraven1642
sinraven1642
Soul Shriven
I apologize in advance, I just have to vent about this. (TL;DR version at the bottom)

On 3/19, I preordered the standard edition of the game from best buy. I originally wanted the Imperial Edition however, they had a limit of one copy per payment method. I received my early access key, and thought everything was fine at that point.

Today I attempted to login, received the "login info incorrect" error, then realized today was the day I had to activate my account. I checked my email for my game code and it wasn't there. So I checked best buy's digital library. Not there either, so I called.

I got a lady who apparently just could not function properly. I told her that I ordered a digital download last month, and have not received my code yet. She asked me for the name of the game, so I told her.

45 minutes later, she was trying to sell me digital cameras, vtech learning pads and who knows what else because she could not spell. I spelled the name of the game 7 times. She spelled back BTVO something... I SCREAMED in the phone, "NO! its ELDER! As in an OLD PERSON!" (At this point I was furious!)

She then tells me that game was sold out, all copies of the digital download were sold out and that I was out of luck. She said that my order should have been cancelled and it wasn't possible that I had played the early access. Right... I have two characters so far, and have been playing up til today.

She then orders me the only thing they have left, a physical copy of the standard edition. So now I have no explorer's pack, and will not be able to have my code til the game comes in the mail, 7 days from now.

TL;DR version:
Best buy messed my preorder up, now I have no access to the game and no preorder bonuses. Dammit.
  • Greydog
    Greydog
    ✭✭✭✭
    No need to warn me. Their poor customer service has caused me to boycott them for a few years now.
    "I Plan on living forever ..so far so good"
    Sanguine's Disciple

Asylum Amoebaeus ..A refuge for those who normally fly solo.
    Message me here or in game for an invite
  • beriiel
    beriiel
    ✭✭
    Just call again, you'll get a different customer service person. If you get another person who has no idea how to do their job, ask for a supervisor.

If you ordered online check your email for an order number so at least the idiot can see what you are talking about. If you ordered in person, but didn't get an order number, and you have a Best Buy in your area, go in person.

They didn't mess it up, but now-a-days companies use half-wits as customer service people.
  • metaldrummer1962b14a_ESO
    I have been playing PC games since 1992.
    DO NOT BUY any pc game unless it is from Steam or direct from the games website, i.e. this one.
    Gamestop, Best Buy, etc all fail.
    Even when you go their to buy physical goods.
  • sinraven1642
    sinraven1642
    Soul Shriven
    I had given them the order number, SKU numbers of the products, everything I had. Now I have a headache. Too bad its socially unacceptable to go get a drink this early in the morning haha
  • sinraven1642
    sinraven1642
    Soul Shriven
    And I stepped outside a bit ago to check the mail... someone rammed it with a four wheeler and destroyed my front yard too. >.> Bad day, going for that drink. -.-
  • Caduryn
    Caduryn
    ✭✭✭
    Well, i ordered by greenmangaming, imp digital, they allways have 20% voucher codes^^
    All goes fine.
  • peteed1985
    Got an online order receipt from best buy for the pre order? send it in a support ticket to Zenimax and you'll likely get explorers pack since you did preorder.
    Edited by peteed1985 on April 6, 2014 3:58PM
  • JohnD212
    JohnD212
    ✭✭✭
    I would write to their customer support a lengthy email with full explanation. While a lot of bad things can be said for Best Buy, I have found them to be very good about making things right or giving me something when they screw up. You can't go through the store or call a store. You have to email their customer support services and you need all your information (how paid, when, what etc.). It always helps if you know who you spoke to but no one ever asks those questions. I think my ultimately worse place to buy anything is GameStop and for SOOOO many reasons. They are a fake store masquerading as a gamer paradise. At least Best Buy is clear it isn't a gaming store.
  • Jessabella
    Jessabella
    ✭✭✭✭
    @sinraven1642, Sorry to hear about your terrible day getting worse! I would send a ticket to https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/ask At the very least they may be able to help you figure something out. Their CS is really good, even if they are a bit swamped right now!

Its not really fair that a retail error leaves you out, so I really hope CS can help you figure out something!

Keep us updated, I am sure we are all wishing you luck on this. :D
    Edited by Jessabella on April 6, 2014 8:02PM
    Mara's Tester <3Psijic Order/PTS Tester
    Jessabella >:)Belladonna Bacia >:)Serves her Master >:)Aurora Rose
    Mara's Moxie <3The Sidekick Order <3The Psijic Order <3Elder Moot
    And my big fat Naked Nord :pAte my Clothes
  • murklor007neb18_ESO
    And the really sad part? If Zenimax had matched the retail prices *everyone* would have bought online from them. No issues with codes. No enviromental waste of millions of plastic boxes. No moron retail stores to deal with. No mistakes in manufacturing (like, missing codes). Tons more profits directly to Zenimax.

But no, they have to be "fair" to retailers and have the eqvivalent of a $15+ higher pricetag. Cant have it cheaper than retailers, those poor stores really struggle despite obvious higher quality than digital distribution...
  • Bane766
    Bane766
    Soul Shriven
    I'm not quite in the same boat as you, but kind of.

I ordered the physical copy from Amazon and didn't get fast shipping. My EA ran out today and now I can't play until my physical copy gets here(which is supposed to be on Wed).
  • Maddjuju
    Maddjuju
    ✭✭✭
    I placed a preorder with BB once (Witcher 2 CE) and they cancelled it a few days prior to release because they took more orders than they actually received. They cancelled orders of people who placed them soon after it was listed but people who preordered the week before release got their copies. I never put a preorder with them again.

I only use GS for physical CE and LE releases and always use next day since they normally ship those a day before the other shipment plans and they haven't screwed me over yet. They did double ship Catherine though, but I gave the extra one back.

But seriously, selling out of a digital copy? I didn't know what was possible. Can't say I've seen 'Sold Out' signs on Steam...