Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

FPS Problem

• timdew
    timdew
    Soul Shriven
    timdew wrote: »
    I received a further email from support suggesting I needed to update "host developer files" : -

"Update your Host Developer Files:
    For OSX
    Select Go on the Toolbar at the top.
    Select the Applications folder.
    Double-click on the Zenimax Online folder.
    Click on the Launcher (it will have the ESO ouroboros icon) and select Show package contents...
    Open the Content folder.
    Open the MacOS folder.
    Find and delete the additional host developer files with numbers associated with them."

I imagine this could easily mess things up if you delete the wrong files but it improved my frame rate to around 35FPS ( still a lot less than pre-murkmire)

Those are just log files and if that has any impact on this I would be amazed, although I have seen stranger things.

There were two log files and also a patch manifest on my system.
  • rluke
    rluke
    ✭✭✭
    I received a further email from support suggesting I needed to update "host developer files" : -

For OSX
    Click on the Launcher (it will have the ESO ouroboros icon) and select Show package contents...
    Open the Content folder.
    Open the MacOS folder.
    Find and delete the additional host developer files with numbers associated with them."

I imagine this could easily mess things up if you delete the wrong files but it improved my frame rate to around 35FPS ( still a lot less than pre-murkmire)

No, impact on my FPS
  • WanderLost
    WanderLost
    ✭✭
    Same deal for me, was getting 24-30 fps before patch, now getting around 10 fps overland and 4-6 in any sort of combat. I really don't understand how it's possible for a patch to break so much...

Regarding updating host developer files, how would one try this with the Steam client on Mac?

Specs:
    2015 Macbook Pro Retina
    2.9 GHz Intel Core i5
    8 GB RAM
    Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB
  • nckg84
    nckg84
    ✭✭✭
    Jeth wrote: »
    nckg84 wrote: »
    Same issue here. Before Murkmire 50/70 fps. After 10/25 fps. Running Macbook Pro 2018 with the AMD graphics card.

@ZOS_GinaBruno
    1 thing i have noticed is that before murkmire eso correctly used the AMD GPU. After murkmire it seems the GPU is no longer used instead it now uses the CPU grapphics. This would explain the FPS drop.

It's using my AMD exclusively.\

fs7fx4rzxmmx.png

rf9huy5amyd5.png

Awesome. Did not knew about that window. Thanks! I can confirm that it is actually using the AMD GPU. To bad, as i'm in cyrodil with 14 fps average now.

ZOS this is plain unproffesional. You clearly did not test your update. Are you amateurs?
  • krismissee82
    krismissee82
    ✭✭✭
    It's literally nauseating to play the game in the current state. While it says I'm getting 20 fps, it's behaving much more like 5-10 with the stuttering. Is there any update on this? I'd really like to get back to playing... @ZOS_GinaBruno
    Kaelindi - Stamblade
    Maelindi - Magblade
    Lindi - Magblade healer
    Lindi the Builder - Stamblade
    Lindi Stardust - Magplar
    PC NA
  • mistermacintosh
    mistermacintosh
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they will come out with a mac-support dlc, available in the crown store! I'd buy that...

But this is about normal. When they break something on mac side, fixing it does not seem to be a high priority. Hoping for a fix on Monday... but not holding my breath.
    Legalize Nirnroot!

Mac User, NA Server (CP810+, PVE focused):
    Magicka Templar Ra the Everlasting (Level 50 - Main Character)
    Stamina Sorcerer Khazaka-ri (Level 50 - Crafter)
    Dragonknight Tank Skalda Flamewreath (Level 50)
    Pet Sorcerer Hellias Ocume (Level 50)
    Magicka Necromancer Socelon (Level 4)

Templar Healer Mends-Through-Panic (Level 50)
    Stamina Nightblade Adanna-daro (Level 50)
    Stamina Warden Marely Sprigs (Level 50)
    Stamina Dragonknight Ursula Trollcalmer (Level 50)
    Stamina Necromancer Daengeval (Level 4)

Stamina Templar Cornellus Graves (Level 50)
    Warden Healer Pays-For-Luxury (Level 50)
    Magicka Sorcerer Sophia Flash (Level 50)
    Magicka Dragonknight Cinvalo Aloavel (Level 50)
    Magicka Nightblade Esmerelda the Cruel (Level 50)
  • JJBoomer
    JJBoomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really hope this gets fixed soon. I want to play again :(
    Edited by JJBoomer on October 26, 2018 11:29PM
  • Montie
    Montie
    ✭✭✭
    JJBoomer wrote: »

Me too...actually contemplating WoW.
  • mistermacintosh
    mistermacintosh
    ✭✭✭

After Legion, Battle for Azeroth seems kinda lame... but if you didn't experience Legion you might like it. You still have to go through a pretty tedious, unrewarding leveling system in WOW if you don't already have higher level characters.

They do have "new" races to try.
    Legalize Nirnroot!

• Montie
    Montie
    ✭✭✭

After Legion, Battle for Azeroth seems kinda lame... but if you didn't experience Legion you might like it. You still have to go through a pretty tedious, unrewarding leveling system in WOW if you don't already have higher level characters.

They do have "new" races to try.

Yeah I played through Legion and it was ok. I preordered Battle for Azeroth but several months later cancelled my sub. So all I would need to do is resub. Honestly, WoW is lackluster next to ESO but at least they have a good Mac client and support it.
  • Punnyguy
    Punnyguy
    Please @ZOS_GinaBruno tell us that Monday’s maintenance patch will address the FPS issues on MacOS, at the very least a rollback to OpenGL until the MoltenVK/Metal issue is resolved.
  • karpok
    karpok
    ✭✭✭
    No update on this topic for almost a week now. I doubt there will be something for us in Monday's patch...
    --
    Soumar, Aldmeri Sorcer
  • JJBoomer
    JJBoomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

For OSX
    Open the Content folder.
    Open the MacOS folder.

This did exactly 0 to help my performance.
  • agegarton
    agegarton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I’m playing on a 27” Retina 5K iMac, 2017 model. I have a 3.8Ghz Intel Core i5, 16mb 2400 MHz DDR4 with a Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB. That is way beyond the required specs.

Before Murkmire I was getting a minimum of 40-odd FPS with High graphics settings, and fairly consistent performance in PVE (PVP could vary, as we all know). Now, even on Medium settings, I’m struggling to get past 20 FPS in unpopulated areas. Just standing still in Alinor is enough to drop FPS to 10-15.

Weirdly, the FPS is all over the place. I’ve been up at nearly 40, down to 5, and I can find no explanation for it beyond really poor software development! Addons make no difference at all, and even combat doesn’t consistently drop performance - FPS is still up and down like a yo-yo.

@ZOS_GinaBruno or someone there at ZoS, please update us! This level of inconsistency makes ESO genuinely unplayable, so it would be really great to have a response that’s a bit more specific than “we’re looking at it”, please.

Thanks in advance.
  • HowTaoBrownCow
    HowTaoBrownCow
    ✭✭✭
    One of the strangest things to me is that nothing I do to the graphics settings makes a difference in the FPS. I normally play at close to High settings (on a maxed-out 2017 MacBook Pro), and get 30-40 FPS in most areas. Since the patch, I'm at 10-17 FPS in most areas, but even changing the video settings down to Minimal (which is *hideous* to look at, btw) does not change that FPS in the slightest. I went back to High settings because scaling down didn't help anything (in the Vivec City market where I was testing this).

I've got a strong stomach, and I'm continuing to play -- dropping down to 5-9 FPS in trials was nuts, but I can do it. (I have to, if I want to participate in the event stuff.) But it's an honest mystery to me how this made it out of QA.
    Censored
  • JJBoomer
    JJBoomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the strangest things to me is that nothing I do to the graphics settings makes a difference in the FPS. I normally play at close to High settings (on a maxed-out 2017 MacBook Pro), and get 30-40 FPS in most areas. Since the patch, I'm at 10-17 FPS in most areas, but even changing the video settings down to Minimal (which is *hideous* to look at, btw) does not change that FPS in the slightest. I went back to High settings because scaling down didn't help anything (in the Vivec City market where I was testing this).

I've got a strong stomach, and I'm continuing to play -- dropping down to 5-9 FPS in trials was nuts, but I can do it. (I have to, if I want to participate in the event stuff.) But it's an honest mystery to me how this made it out of QA.

i really do wonder if this will be the start of dropping mac support. usually when companies have to change or update tech to accomodate their mac client, they just start dropping it. happened with STO. as long as we get refunded, or given a chance to transfer our accounts to console, i'll move on just fine.
  • rluke
    rluke
    ✭✭✭
    Refund is ok for me, i have no console.
  • alterfenixeb17_ESO
    alterfenixeb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭

For OSX
    Open the Content folder.
    Open the MacOS folder.

Those are just log files and if that has any impact on this I would be amazed, although I have seen stranger things.

Inside this bundle there are also Host files in ProgramData folder which should be removed upon normal Launcher termination.

i really do wonder if this will be the start of dropping mac support. usually when companies have to change or update tech to accomodate their mac client, they just start dropping it. happened with STO. as long as we get refunded, or given a chance to transfer our accounts to console, i'll move on just fine.
    Trying to change renderer to accommodate it is not exactly same as "ok, you changed technology so farewell". If they wanted to drop it then why to invest anything in new technology and make it public? Makes really little sense.
  • Jeth
    Jeth
    ✭✭✭
    Trying to change renderer to accommodate it is not exactly same as "ok, you changed technology so farewell". If they wanted to drop it then why to invest anything in new technology and make it public? Makes really little sense.

Development investment by making token effort to convert to a new renderer that cripples a platform makes more sense?
    Publishing updated minimum specs for Mac platform to use the game; minimums that yield 5 - 7 fps makes sense?
    Not mentioning this as known issues in the patch notes makes sense?
    Going silent on the matter makes sense?

Please.....
    Edited by Jeth on October 28, 2018 8:07PM
    -Jeth
  • JJBoomer
    JJBoomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lulz 2fps in alinor on a imac thats 3x better than the new minimum specs. That's not a success. That's an abyssmal failure.

Either their silence on this is because they are working hard to fix it or because they are trying to figure out how to announce dropping mac support without making themselves look bad. Gods, its like STO all over again lol.
  • viktography
    viktography
    Soul Shriven
    Zos should send mac users event ticket for feather, and 100% xp buff. I missed witches festival because of this issue. ridiculous thats what it is
  • mistermacintosh
    mistermacintosh
    ✭✭✭
    Zos should send mac users event ticket for feather, and 100% xp buff. I missed witches festival because of this issue. ridiculous thats what it is

You can still get your tickets and feather... all you have to do is kill one boss a day. It's not really enjoyable at 20 fps or lower, but you can do it. I kept up with it because I want to believe they will fix this soon, and because it is such an immersion-killing bug it makes sense for them to fix it sooner rather than later.

If they don't there's no way I'll put up with it through the holidays... but I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt.
    Legalize Nirnroot!

• viktography
    viktography
    Soul Shriven
    Yep i tried with 5fps its like movie lol was pain in my eyes. Ill try it again...
  • Jeth
    Jeth
    ✭✭✭

You can still get your tickets and feather... all you have to do is kill one boss a day. It's not really enjoyable at 20 fps or lower, but you can do it. I kept up with it because I want to believe they will fix this soon, and because it is such an immersion-killing bug it makes sense for them to fix it sooner rather than later.

If they don't there's no way I'll put up with it through the holidays... but I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Writs (x9 toons), boss kill, log off.
    -Jeth
  • rluke
    rluke
    ✭✭✭
    No Performance improvement for mac :(

Mac Game Client
    Fixed an issue that would cause the client to lock up when using Alt + Tab.
    Fixed an issue that was causing the window to appear all black when going to windowed mode from full screen windowed mode.
    Fixed an issue that made it difficult to pickpocket NPCs.
  • smacx250
    smacx250
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rluke wrote: »
    No Performance improvement for mac :(

Mac Game Client
    Fixed an issue that would cause the client to lock up when using Alt + Tab.
    Fixed an issue that was causing the window to appear all black when going to windowed mode from full screen windowed mode.
    Fixed an issue that made it difficult to pickpocket NPCs.
    A quick check in-game seemed to confirm that (at least for me)...

• ManicDee
    ManicDee
    ✭✭
    They fixed the Alt+Tab lockup issue by removing the fullscreen option.
  • rluke
    rluke
    ✭✭✭
    It would be really great if Zeni would keep us up to date.
  • alterfenixeb17_ESO
    alterfenixeb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Jeth wrote: »

Development investment by making token effort to convert to a new renderer that cripples a platform makes more sense?
    Publishing updated minimum specs for Mac platform to use the game; minimums that yield 5 - 7 fps makes sense?
    Not mentioning this as known issues in the patch notes makes sense?
    Going silent on the matter makes sense?

Please.....

Yeah, it makes little sense to invest ANYTHING (that includes all kind of resources)into something to make it public and then dump it right away makes no sense at all. I would agree that it could make sense if there was just some internal prototype that nobody outside of the company would ever learn about. Keep in mind that this is not just about investment made by the whole company but also by each team involved separately.

As for going silent sorry but what do you expect? Personal report each day in your mail? They will have something to share they will share. Assuming they work they use some iterative methodology in their processes then keep in mind that i.e. single sprint in Scrum takes at the very least 2 weeks (which means 2 weeks before the actual work is marked as verified and done). What more should they say if they do not have any ETA outside of by the end of the year or within next few weeks? Especially that people qqing expect that the answer will be "expect all changes reverted or fix by tomorrow morning".

One thing that I can agree with is that with patch notes for 4.2.5 there could be some acknowledgment that performance is still work i progress.
    ManicDee wrote: »
    They fixed the Alt+Tab lockup issue by removing the fullscreen option.
    Options present in 4.2.6: Windowed, Windowed (Fullscreen), Fullscreen. All 3 are left.
  • Punnyguy
    Punnyguy
    The patch did nothing to address the low FPS problem. Still all but unplayable. It has now been a full week (during a special event no less) without any concrete information about the issue, what is being done to address it, and when (if ever) the problem will be fixed.

Any updates @ZOS_GinaBruno?