Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Xbox EU lag, is VPN a solution?

Skall66
Skall66
✭✭✭
Hello,
I have serious lag problems that make the game almost unplayable (most button use don't register, or do it after several seconds).
Some research lead me to think that the cause could be my ISP routing to the EU Megaserver as it is the case for some players on PC
Firstly, what is (are) the EU megaserver IP address? If I "tracert" it from my PC, will I have the same routing than on my Xbox or do the Xbox Live interfer in some way?
Secondly, will a VPN help? Do some of you use one? (which one?) did it solve lag problems?
Thirdly, I asked the question on Xbox Community ( https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/forum/xba_gapp/is-the-use-of-vpn-on-xbox-one-authorized/7cb9ce5e-901e-4674-a22f-4598e13a0293?tm=1540543656168 ) but for now the answers are contradictory.. Is the use of a VPN against Microsoft policy?

thanks.
Mudcrab magnet
Xbox EU
  • MJallday
    MJallday
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    so lots of questions there.

firstly, just be aware that (based on info thats previously been posted here) the login servers are different to the game servers.

i understand the game ones for EU are in frankfurt. but the login ones may be elsewhere.

secondly, be aware that the PC server IP addresses may be different from the XB ones!

thirdly, the next thing to consider is that most vpn technology uses encryption/decryption, which has an overhead, so whilst your ping time may be lowered, your lag may be increased. the only way of knowing is to try.

lastly, using a vpn is not against t+cs. its not illegal to use a vpn, but you might get loss of functionality, which you can hardly blame on zos or indeed ms if things go wrong/dont work.
    Edited by MJallday on October 26, 2018 10:11AM
  • Skall66
    Skall66
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for lots of answers.

So, as I understand, it's worth the try, the only risk being nothing solved or worse game problems.

I'll wait for more return of experience, though.
    Mudcrab magnet
    Xbox EU
  • Skall66
    Skall66
    ✭✭✭
    Got an answer from microsoft community (and the thread has been locked):

"VPN discussions are not allowed on these forums and are discouraged from use and you could find yourself in trouble with enforcement."

So it seems that, for Microsoft, VPNs are illegal. End of discussion.
    Mudcrab magnet
    Xbox EU