The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Crafted items sell for nothing to NPCs

mattriddle
So NPCs will sell bad potions for 30g each, but when I brew better potions, they will only buy them for 1g each.

How is that fair in any way?

Don't get me started on all the loot I find that is literally worth 0 gold.

And most mobs only drop 1g.

Of course, this is just in the starting zone after Coldharbor, Khentari's Roost. But it does make it seem like the developers don't want the players having any form of currency minus quest rewards.
Streaming ESO twitch.tv/matzimazing M-F Noon-4PM EST
  • seanolan
    seanolan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the economics of an MMO...they have to make money scarce, with thousands of players.
  • mattriddle
    I disagree. I've played most other MMOs and never encountered 1g drops from all enemies, nor all my crafting items selling for 0g.

Not when quests give you at least 50-100g starting out.

If anything, it feels like a mistake was made in the math somewhere.
  • omnomolyub17_ESO
    It's mostly there to encourage player trading. Why trade to players when NPCs will buy it for a fair amount and you don't even have to look for them or barter? Take motif books, for example. Players will buy them for up to 1.5k but a merchant buys it for like 30g (don't quote me on that, I know it's practically nothing compared to 1.5k)!

As far as economy goes, it prevents players from easily spawning new money. More money in the world means higher prices. NPCs create money to give to the player, whereas players are losing money so that you can gain money. That and the many gold sinks in the game help to create balance between money being created and destroyed. You'll never get a perfect system, but oh well. That's the reasoning behind it.
  • mattriddle
    You may be right, but it sure makes it hard for the solo player.
  • seanolan
    seanolan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Solo doesn't mean you can't interact with other players. No offense, but if you didn't want interactions with other players, why play an MMO?
  • Allonan
    Allonan
    ✭✭✭
    Making food and selling it is a great way to make money... Also refined crafting materials like iron, wood, and jute sell very well at low level. (I would not recommend selling leather as that is harder to get.)

I am level 8 and I already have 92 character bag slots and 90 bank bag slots with a couple of thousand to spare at the moment.
    Nothing is impossible... there are only differing degrees of probability.
  • elrond2002
    elrond2002
    Soul Shriven
    Don't mind selling to other players. Don't like hanging around in town waiting for poeple to buy from me. Unless there is an AH... haven't started looking for one as yet.
  • mattriddle
    It's not that I don't want to interact with other players, it's just i'm not used to sitting around spamming chat with sell messages, nor do I feel like I would enjoy doing that.
  • Allonan
    Allonan
    ✭✭✭
    I think one of the main reasons for no AH is that since they have a mega server it would be one AH for everyone playing the game. It could really flood the server with too much stuff and basically drive the cost of everything down to a small amount over what a vendor would pay for it anyway.
    Nothing is impossible... there are only differing degrees of probability.
  • seanolan
    seanolan
    ✭✭✭✭
    mattriddle wrote: »
    It's not that I don't want to interact with other players, it's just i'm not used to sitting around spamming chat with sell messages, nor do I feel like I would enjoy doing that.

Then think of guilds as individual server auction houses, and use them the same way. I don't see the difference