The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Argonian Lore Question

BlueRaven
BlueRaven
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Hi!

While I am familiar with some of ES lore, a question came to me while I was doing Murkmire and I was hoping someone had an answer for it.

Some time ago the Argonians built these giant stone structures, and now the just build reed type huts or even mud huts. They still live amongst the ruins of these structures, they don't seem to fear or hate them. But they don't seem to maintain them or build new ones. It's almost like they are the ruins of a different race all together.

What happened?
  • Aristocles22
    Aristocles22
    ✭✭✭
    BlueRaven wrote: »
    Hi!

While I am familiar with some of ES lore, a question came to me while I was doing Murkmire and I was hoping someone had an answer for it.

Some time ago the Argonians built these giant stone structures, and now the just build reed type huts or even mud huts. They still live amongst the ruins of these structures, they don't seem to fear or hate them. But they don't seem to maintain them or build new ones. It's almost like they are the ruins of a different race all together.

What happened?

We don't know exactly what happened, but it has been explained by Argonians in-game that building stone structures was considered a folly dating from a time when they tried to appease Sithis and resist change rather than embracing change.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We don't know exactly what happened, but it has been explained by Argonians in-game that building stone structures was considered a folly dating from a time when they tried to appease Sithis and resist change rather than embracing change.

Wow! I did not know that. That sounds interesting. I wonder what caused the shift.

Thank you that was really interesting!
  • Aristocles22
    Aristocles22
    ✭✭✭

Wow! I did not know that. That sounds interesting. I wonder what caused the shift.

I think they are keeping the reason for the shift vague. To me, it sounds like an after-the-fact justification. As in, something happened which brought their civilization down, and this has been explained in moral terms centuries after the fact.
  • BigBadVolk
    BigBadVolk
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think we will get a full answer either in a Black Marsh Single Game, or in the Black Marsh Chapter in the future
    "The ass is similar to the opinion: Everyone has it, but no one cares about the others!"
    I'm 120 years old
  • Aristocles22
    Aristocles22
    ✭✭✭
    BigBadVolk wrote: »

I think we will get a full answer either in a Black Marsh Single Game, or in the Black Marsh Chapter in the future

I highly doubt we'll get a full Black Marsh chapter. If we do, it won't be for many years. While there is some room for it on the map, I doubt the demand is there for that much content, especially since little of what happens in Black Marsh has anything to do with the events of the wider world. It really is isolated, and that serves its own purposes for the game.

That said, we might get more Argonian-themed DLC dungeons.