Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

FPS Problem

• nckg84
    nckg84
    ✭✭✭
    Same issue here. Before Murkmire 50/70 fps. After 10/25 fps. Running Macbook Pro 2018 with the AMD graphics card.

@ZOS_GinaBruno
    1 thing i have noticed is that before murkmire eso correctly used the AMD GPU. After murkmire it seems the GPU is no longer used instead it now uses the CPU grapphics. This would explain the FPS drop.
  • smacx250
    smacx250
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nckg84 wrote: »
    Same issue here. Before Murkmire 50/70 fps. After 10/25 fps. Running Macbook Pro 2018 with the AMD graphics card.

@ZOS_GinaBruno
    1 thing i have noticed is that before murkmire eso correctly used the AMD GPU. After murkmire it seems the GPU is no longer used instead it now uses the CPU grapphics. This would explain the FPS drop.
    @nckg84 - just curious how you determined this. I thought that was the case because when I checked what was show under "About This Mac" when I was playing it only showed the integrated graphics. But when I disabled the integrated graphics under the "Energy Saver" control panel, I didn't see any improvement in FPS (though "About This Mac" did show the AMD gfx chip - but also the integrated gfx). So while I was hopeful that using the integrated gfx was the problem, it didn't *seem* to be the case. But it sure would explain the big FPS drop - at least for those of us on laptops with both integrated & discrete gfx.
  • nckg84
    nckg84
    ✭✭✭
    smacx250 wrote: »

@ZOS_GinaBruno
    @nckg84 - just curious how you determined this. I thought that was the case because when I checked what was show under "About This Mac" when I was playing it only showed the integrated graphics. But when I disabled the integrated graphics under the "Energy Saver" control panel, I didn't see any improvement in FPS (though "About This Mac" did show the AMD gfx chip - but also the integrated gfx). So while I was hopeful that using the integrated gfx was the problem, it didn't *seem* to be the case. But it sure would explain the big FPS drop - at least for those of us on laptops with both integrated & discrete gfx.

You can see it in the activity monitor. You can see if the application is using the high performance GPU or not. Given that the activity monitor is correct. ESO no longer used the high performance GPU according to the activity monitor.
  • smacx250
    smacx250
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZOS_GinaBruno

You can see it in the activity monitor. You can see if the application is using the high performance GPU or not. Given that the activity monitor is correct. ESO no longer used the high performance GPU according to the activity monitor.
    Great info - thank you!
  • JJBoomer
    JJBoomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZOS_GinaBruno

How does that happen? And how can it be fixed to go back to using gpu?
  • mistermacintosh
    mistermacintosh
    ✭✭✭
    This is a buff to your frames if you're standing in the middle of the desert by yourself with absolutely nothing around you.
    Legalize Nirnroot!

Mac User, NA Server (CP810+, PVE focused):
    Magicka Templar Ra the Everlasting (Level 50 - Main Character)
    Stamina Sorcerer Khazaka-ri (Level 50 - Crafter)
    Dragonknight Tank Skalda Flamewreath (Level 50)
    Pet Sorcerer Hellias Ocume (Level 50)
    Magicka Necromancer Socelon (Level 4)

Templar Healer Mends-Through-Panic (Level 50)
    Stamina Nightblade Adanna-daro (Level 50)
    Stamina Warden Marely Sprigs (Level 50)
    Stamina Dragonknight Ursula Trollcalmer (Level 50)
    Stamina Necromancer Daengeval (Level 4)

Stamina Templar Cornellus Graves (Level 50)
    Warden Healer Pays-For-Luxury (Level 50)
    Magicka Sorcerer Sophia Flash (Level 50)
    Magicka Dragonknight Cinvalo Aloavel (Level 50)
    Magicka Nightblade Esmerelda the Cruel (Level 50)
  • ethernut60
    ethernut60
    ✭✭
    I'm curious about all the people that claim the update has made the game unplayable; which graphics adapter does your system have?

My displayed fps also dropped dramatically with this update. However, my actual performance has improved greatly. My displayed fps is 20, but it feels more like 60.

Mid-2014 MacBook Pro with nVidia graphics.

From reading this thread it looks to me like the majority of you have AMD.
    Edited by ethernut60 on October 25, 2018 7:26PM
  • Jeth
    Jeth
    ✭✭✭

@ZOS_GinaBruno

It's using my AMD exclusively.\

fs7fx4rzxmmx.png

rf9huy5amyd5.png
    Edited by Jeth on October 25, 2018 7:37PM
    -Jeth
  • JJBoomer
    JJBoomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ethernut60 wrote: »
    I'm curious about all the people that claim the update has made the game unplayable; which graphics adapter does your system have?

My displayed fps also dropped dramatically with this update. However, my actual performance has improved greatly. My displayed fps is 20, but it feels more like 60.

I too have AMD, Radeon Pro 580. Apple doesn't use nVidia cards anymore. They have paired exclusively with AMD now.
  • rluke
    rluke
    ✭✭✭
    JJBoomer wrote: »

I too have AMD, Radeon Pro 580. Apple doesn't use nVidia cards anymore. They have paired exclusively with AMD now.

Have a Nvidia GTX 1080ti and ~20 fps. Its not AMD Problem.
  • ethernut60
    ethernut60
    ✭✭

I know Apple went back to AMD with the 2015 series.
  • ethernut60
    ethernut60
    ✭✭
    rluke wrote: »

Have a Nvidia GTX 1080ti and ~20 fps. Its not AMD Problem.

My nVidia GT 750M also only gets around 20fps. However, it plays like it is much higher.

• tactx
    tactx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm having the complete opposite effect. Before this patch I randomly disconnected and had moderately acceptable FPS.

I run an Alienware 17 R4 fully upgraded 32gb of ram, ssd, nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 (8GB GDDR5X VRAM) and
    now I get 90+ fps in high populated areas on Ultra settings with that SSAO Occlusion on.

With their incremental update, I hope they solve the issues others are experiencing without reverting the performance I'm now enjoying.

edit: I see now that it seems to be a MAC issue that people are referring to. Didn't know it was mac only from the title. But either way I'm pretty happy that I can now play without random lag spikes and disconnects.
    Edited by tactx on October 25, 2018 9:07PM
    “No one's happiness but my own is in my power to achieve or to destroy.” - John Galt, Atlas Shrugged
  • JJBoomer
    JJBoomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno any update on this would be very much appreciated!
  • Montie
    Montie
    ✭✭✭
    I really would like an update too. Highly considering cancelling my sub since there is no point in subbing if I can not play. Are we going to see this fixed before the weekend?
  • JJBoomer
    JJBoomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really would like an update too. Highly considering cancelling my sub since there is no point in subbing if I can not play. Are we going to see this fixed before the weekend?

same. i already unsubbed until its fixed. not gonna pay for what i can't play. maybe all mac players should. maybe that would put this higher on their radar?
  • Jeth
    Jeth
    ✭✭✭

same. i already unsubbed until its fixed. not gonna pay for what i can't play. maybe all mac players should. maybe that would put this higher on their radar?

I unsubbed the first day this crap landed. Perhaps that's the ZOS solution - eliminate the Mac problem.

-Jeth
  • JJBoomer
    JJBoomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeth wrote: »

I unsubbed the first day this crap landed. Perhaps that's the ZOS solution - eliminate the Mac problem.

hey if they wanna drop mac support, fine. let me transfer my account to xbox and i'll be on my way lol.

Its funny because i was gonna drop a chunk of change on a couple of furnishing packs next week. not anymore.
    Edited by JJBoomer on October 26, 2018 12:57AM
  • Deserttiger
    Deserttiger
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_@GinaBruno: Why no update? Are you dropping Mac support? Are you (still!) working on this issue? I’ve been checking these forum posts everyday and there’s been nothing from you since your first post. We need some info, otherwise some of us heavy users will be leaving soon. You’re leaving everyone to speculate and assume the worst. Playing with this frame rate even on a fairly new, high-end iMac is ridiculous. Where’s the customer outreach here?
  • Jeth
    Jeth
    ✭✭✭
    Jeth wrote: »

hey if they wanna drop mac support, fine. let me transfer my account to xbox and i'll be on my way lol.

Its funny because i was gonna drop a chunk of change on a couple of furnishing packs next week. not anymore.

I’ll bootcamp to Windows 10 until my friends are gone but I won’t ZOS again. Busch League.

Edited by Jeth on October 26, 2018 1:23AM
    -Jeth
  • viktography
    viktography
    Soul Shriven
    Yeah I’ve been watching this since last update. No point subscribe at this point. No matter how this game is great the service wont provide proper support is worthless. Im out from vicious cycle.
  • Ecstatica
    Ecstatica
    ✭✭✭
    Just did three battlegrounds, I had next to no control over anything and I'm left with a massive headache and nausea. Please fix this! :'(
    Filthy Gorgeous
    (PC/EU)
  • timdew
    timdew
    Soul Shriven
    I've submitted a support ticket, they suggested removing add-ons; which I did with no improvement. Any one else had any joy with support?
  • rluke
    rluke
    ✭✭✭
    Ecstatica wrote: »
    Just did three battlegrounds, I had next to no control over anything and I'm left with a massive headache and nausea. Please fix this! :'(

This!

Please fix !!!
  • rluke
    rluke
    ✭✭✭
    timdew wrote: »
    I've submitted a support ticket, they suggested removing add-ons; which I did with no improvement. Any one else had any joy with support?

LOL nice,
    Maybe the support doesn't even know the problem —.—
  • Puodas
    Puodas
    ✭✭
    Maybe we all should write to support to rise importance of this issue?
  • Montie
    Montie
    ✭✭✭
    Puodas wrote: »
    Maybe we all should write to support to rise importance of this issue?

I submitted one yesterday thinking the same thing. I wasn't going to at first as I figured this forum post, that had been replied to on the first day, was good enough but now I am getting more and more frustrated each day I don't hear something back. This is time I have paid for on a platform they advertise as supporting so...
  • timdew
    timdew
    Soul Shriven
    I received a further email from support suggesting I needed to update "host developer files" : -

"Update your Host Developer Files:
    For OSX
    Select Go on the Toolbar at the top.
    Select the Applications folder.
    Double-click on the Zenimax Online folder.
    Click on the Launcher (it will have the ESO ouroboros icon) and select Show package contents...
    Open the Content folder.
    Open the MacOS folder.
    Find and delete the additional host developer files with numbers associated with them."

I imagine this could easily mess things up if you delete the wrong files but it improved my frame rate to around 35FPS ( still a lot less than pre-murkmire)

• Montie
    Montie
    ✭✭✭
    timdew wrote: »
    I received a further email from support suggesting I needed to update "host developer files" : -

"Update your Host Developer Files:
    For OSX
    Select Go on the Toolbar at the top.
    Select the Applications folder.
    Double-click on the Zenimax Online folder.
    Click on the Launcher (it will have the ESO ouroboros icon) and select Show package contents...
    Open the Content folder.
    Open the MacOS folder.
    Find and delete the additional host developer files with numbers associated with them."

I imagine this could easily mess things up if you delete the wrong files but it improved my frame rate to around 35FPS ( still a lot less than pre-murkmire)

Those are just log files and if that has any impact on this I would be amazed, although I have seen stranger things.
  • Gattopardo
    Gattopardo
    ✭✭
    this made performance better for me too, not by much, as weird as it is
    Edited by Gattopardo on October 26, 2018 2:22PM