Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Game client crashes in MoltenVKQueue dispatch (updated)

vgabor
vgabor
✭✭✭✭✭
Update: the game clien keep crashing with the same error now and then. Most cases when the scene changes, delves and dungeons are prolly to crash, but had crash on wayshrine travel as well, and 2-3 times when just riding on horse in the middle of the nowhere. Mostly it crashing in Murkmire locations, but has crashes in Summerset as well multiple times now. No crashes so far in old (base game) content.

Doing Dreaming Nest (Murkmire main quest line) is crashing multiple times in the cave when entering and leaving the dreaming locations, probably the best to reproduce and debug. So far I did it with 3 character and each of them crashed multiple times.

The common part seems to be the following in each crashes:

Thread 12 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: MoltenVKQueue-0-0-1.0-Dispatch
0 libobjc.A.dylib 0x00007fff57628a1d objc_msgSend + 29
1 com.apple.driver.AppleIntelSKLGraphicsMTLDriver 0x00007fff24c8d020 SamplerStage::bindSamplerToTexture(unsigned char, unsigned char, bool) + 144
2 com.apple.driver.AppleIntelSKLGraphicsMTLDriver 0x00007fff24c440d6 SamplerStage::writeSamplerState() + 582
3 com.apple.driver.AppleIntelSKLGraphicsMTLDriver 0x00007fff24c43e5a IGRenderStateSamplers::writeIf() + 86
4 com.apple.driver.AppleIntelSKLGraphicsMTLDriver 0x00007fff24c421f5 IGAccelRenderCommandEncoder::programPipeline(sPrimitiveData const&) + 4143
5 com.apple.driver.AppleIntelSKLGraphicsMTLDriver 0x00007fff24c40f94 IGAccelRenderCommandEncoder::drawIndexedPrimitives(MTLPrimitiveType, unsigned int, MTLIndexType, MTLIGAccelBuffer*, unsigned int, unsigned int, unsigned int, unsigned int) + 486
6 com.apple.driver.AppleIntelSKLGraphicsMTLDriver 0x00007fff24c5a9e0 -[MTLIGAccelRenderCommandEncoder drawIndexedPrimitives:indexCount:indexType:indexBuffer:indexBufferOffset:instanceCount:baseVertex:baseInstance:] + 347
7 com.zenimaxonline.eso 0x0000000109cd38f6 MVKCmdDrawIndexed::encode(MVKCommandEncoder*) + 118
8 com.zenimaxonline.eso 0x0000000109cd468b MVKCommandEncoder::encode(MVKQueueCommandBufferSubmission*) + 107
9 com.zenimaxonline.eso 0x0000000109cd452c MVKCommandBuffer::execute(MVKQueueCommandBufferSubmission*, MVKCommandBufferBatchPosition const&) + 124
10 com.zenimaxonline.eso 0x0000000109ce96be MVKQueueCommandBufferSubmission::execute() + 110
11 com.zenimaxonline.eso 0x0000000109ce850c invocation function for block in MVKQueue::submit(MVKQueueSubmission*) + 28
12 libdispatch.dylib 0x00007fff586b5d4f _dispatch_call_block_and_release + 12
13 libdispatch.dylib 0x00007fff586b6dcb _dispatch_client_callout + 8
14 libdispatch.dylib 0x00007fff586bd120 _dispatch_lane_serial_drain + 618
15 libdispatch.dylib 0x00007fff586bdbd8 _dispatch_lane_invoke + 388
16 libdispatch.dylib 0x00007fff586c6084 _dispatch_workloop_worker_thread + 603
17 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x00007fff588f661c _pthread_wqthread + 409
18 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x00007fff588f6415 start_wqthread + 13

The following full dump is my first crash in Teeth of Sithis, from the platform where the skyshard is when I enter the building through the door, the game client crashes (so far 2 of 2 cases, so pretty consistent)

Process: eso [15846]
Path: /Applications/Games/*/eso.app/Contents/MacOS/eso
Identifier: com.zenimaxonline.eso
Version: 1.0.0 (1.0.0)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: ZeniMax Online Studios Launcher [2837]
Responsible: eso [15846]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2018-10-23 22:26:17.017 +0100
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.14 (18A391)
Report Version: 12
Bridge OS Version: 3.0 (14Y664)
Anonymous UUID: BADC6FD7-23ED-705B-3B1D-BB3CE68B326B

Sleep/Wake UUID: 597967B0-2D86-4ACC-B6C8-FB7D8E09802F

Time Awake Since Boot: 47000 seconds
Time Since Wake: 8500 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 12 Dispatch queue: Molt
Edited by vgabor on November 1, 2018 7:54PM
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @vgabor

If you've not done so, please try the troubleshooting steps in the help article below.

What can I do if ESO is crashing frequently while playing on a Mac?

If you still experience crashing in Murkmire, please open a ticket with customer support.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • vgabor
    vgabor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_BillE thanks for the pre-canned answer, but probably would be much better just passing the information to the mac devs who will have better understanding of what the above says about the error and might fix it?

Thanks
    Edited by vgabor on October 25, 2018 4:59AM
  • vgabor
    vgabor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    update: game client keeps crashing now and then with no apparent common cause. (last time I was simply dismounting from my horse in the middle of the swamp in Murkmire and suddenly the game just crashed)

It appears that the vulkan implementation still has some serious bugs in it...
  • vgabor
    vgabor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yet another two crash while doing the Murkmire main quest in Swallowed Grove.

It pretty much blocks the quest, as after the crash the character outside of the grove and have to go in and start again, which then crashes again...
    Edited by vgabor on October 25, 2018 5:01AM
  • vgabor
    vgabor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fist post updated.
  • Wodinn
    Wodinn
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_BillE wrote: »
    @vgabor

If you've not done so, please try the troubleshooting steps in the help article below.

What can I do if ESO is crashing frequently while playing on a Mac?

If you still experience crashing in Murkmire, please open a ticket with customer support.

We don't care. Stop feeding us crap and get it FIXED!!
  • vgabor
    vgabor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Game still crashing in dreaming nest after the update (4.2.8)
    Edit: consistently, 2 of 2 so far... and also another 2 crash just while going in the middle of the nowhere through the swamp in Murkmire

Process: eso [52979]
    Path: /Applications/Games/*/eso.app/Contents/MacOS/eso
    Identifier: com.zenimaxonline.eso
    Version: 1.0.0 (1.0.0)
    Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
    Parent Process: ZeniMax Online Studios Launcher [27441]
    Responsible: eso [52979]
    User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2018-11-17 02:53:04.142 +0000
    OS Version: Mac OS X 10.14.1 (18B75)
    Report Version: 12
    Bridge OS Version: 3.0 (14Y667)
    Anonymous UUID: BADC6FD7-23ED-705B-3B1D-BB3CE68B326B

Sleep/Wake UUID: C7D6BB3E-0CE6-4247-A375-D3FE504A4653

Time Awake Since Boot: 380000 seconds
    Time Since Wake: 13000 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 2 Dispatch queue: MoltenVKQueue-0-0-1.0-Dispatch

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
    Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x000000056c15a2d0
    Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Segmentation fault: 11
    Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
    Terminating Process: exc handler [52979]

VM Regions Near 0x56c15a2d0:
    MALLOC_LARGE_REUSABLE 000000017628a000-00000001767e0000 [ 5464K] rw-/rwx SM=PRV
    -->
    STACK GUARD 000070000cf31000-000070000cf32000 [ 4K] ---/rwx SM=NUL stack guard for thread 1

Application Specific Information:
    objc_msgSend() selector name: textureType

Thread 2 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: MoltenVKQueue-0-0-1.0-Dispatch
    0 libobjc.A.dylib 0x00007fff6dc63a29 objc_msgSend + 41
    1 com.apple.driver.AppleIntelSKLGraphicsMTLDriver 0x00007fff3c1dfa38 SamplerStage::bindSamplerToTexture(unsigned char, unsigned char, bool) + 144
    2 com.apple.driver.AppleIntelSKLGraphicsMTLDriver 0x00007fff3c196606 SamplerStage::writeSamplerState() + 582
    3 com.apple.driver.AppleIntelSKLGraphicsMTLDriver 0x00007fff3c19638a IGRenderStateSamplers::writeIf() + 86
    4 com.apple.driver.AppleIntelSKLGraphicsMTLDriver 0x00007fff3c194725 IGAccelRenderCommandEncoder::programPipeline(sPrimitiveData const&) + 4143
    5 com.apple.driver.AppleIntelSKLGraphicsMTLDriver 0x00007fff3c1934c4 IGAccelRenderCommandEncoder::drawIndexedPrimitives(MTLPrimitiveType, unsigned int, MTLIndexType, MTLIGAccelBuffer*, unsigned int, unsigned int, unsigned int, unsigned int) + 486
    6 com.apple.driver.AppleIntelSKLGraphicsMTLDriver 0x00007fff3c1acf40 -[MTLIGAccelRenderCommandEncoder drawIndexedPrimitives:indexCount:indexType:indexBuffer:indexBufferOffset:instanceCount:baseVertex:baseInstance:] + 347
    7 com.zenimaxonline.eso 0x000000010d784bb6 MVKCmdDrawIndexed::encode(MVKCommandEncoder*) + 118
    8 com.zenimaxonline.eso 0x000000010d78594b MVKCommandEncoder::encode(MVKQueueCommandBufferSubmission*) + 107
    9 com.zenimaxonline.eso 0x000000010d7857ec MVKCommandBuffer::execute(MVKQueueCommandBufferSubmission*, MVKCommandBufferBatchPosition const&) + 124
    10 com.zenimaxonline.eso 0x000000010d79a97e MVKQueueCommandBufferSubmission::execute() + 110
    11 com.zenimaxonline.eso 0x000000010d7997cc invocation function for block in MVKQueue::submit(MVKQueueSubmission*) + 28
    12 libdispatch.dylib 0x00007fff6ecf1d53 _dispatch_call_block_and_release + 12
    13 libdispatch.dylib 0x00007fff6ecf2dcf _dispatch_client_callout + 8
    14 libdispatch.dylib 0x00007fff6ecf9124 _dispatch_lane_serial_drain + 618
    15 libdispatch.dylib 0x00007fff6ecf9bdc _dispatch_lane_invoke + 388
    16 libdispatch.dylib 0x00007fff6ed02090 _dispatch_workloop_worker_thread + 603
    17 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x00007fff6ef3263c _pthread_wqthread + 409
    18 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x00007fff6ef32435 start_wqthread + 13

Edited by vgabor on November 17, 2018 5:09AM
  • Ostacia
    Ostacia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cannot enter the second dream mural. I've tried 4x and it crashes each time and puts me all the way back outside of the cave so I have to start that part all over.. I've used the regular launcher and the steam launcher, working in windowed (fullscreen) with vertical sync on. All addons are off. Restarted computer several times. I don't know what to do. :(
    PC/ NA
    Imagination is the real and eternal world of which this vegetable universe is but a faint shadow. -- William Blake
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    As recommended earlier, please open a support ticket if you are experiencing these crashes in game. Support can get some further system information to help investigate this.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • vgabor
    vgabor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cannot enter the second dream mural. I've tried 4x and it crashes each time and puts me all the way back outside of the cave so I have to start that part all over.. I've used the regular launcher and the steam launcher, working in windowed (fullscreen) with vertical sync on. All addons are off. Restarted computer several times. I don't know what to do. :(

I had a same issue, but learned that if you restart the game fast enough - ie. immediately, after the crash don't wait for anything just click on play in the launcher, login, choose character - it will put you inside. I think if you get back to the game fast enough the server will consider it's just a network glitch and you can continue from where it crashed. This is how I did the quest with 4 character by now, all of them crashed, most in multiple times in and out of those murals, but with immediate restart I was able to continue.
  • Kaytlin
    Kaytlin
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_BillE how many tickets must we open for your staff to correct this problem It has been going on now since you switched from OpenGL without adequately testing the client to make sure it worked! You cannot reload the client fast enough when in a battleground to avoid the time penalty and the loss of any rewards.
  • Delsskia
    Delsskia
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_BillE

All you have to do to reproduce this issue is to actually log into the game on a Mac. Round up the Devs and spend a few hours playing the game with Macs on Live servers. Try completing a trial, try completing some BG's then try spending some time fighting in Cyrodiil. You won't have to do anything extraordinary, just try playing your game as intended on a Mac.
    NA-PC
    Fantasia
  • dustgollum
    dustgollum
    Soul Shriven
    ZOS_BillE wrote: »
    As recommended earlier, please open a support ticket if you are experiencing these crashes in game. Support can get some further system information to help investigate this.

FYI, I've never been able to get the game consultant to compile the file, have to force quit every time w/ no result. We could screenshot and attach the Apple crash report when we crash, but people have been pasting those in those threads for weeks now.
  • karpok
    karpok
    ✭✭✭
    Actually you don't even have to play the game. Just log In and wait long enough to get a crash. No need to be in any special content
    --
    Soumar, Aldmeri Sorcer
  • vgabor
    vgabor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Game still crashing every time in the Murkmire main quest line in Swallowed Grove. @ZOS are you guys going to fix it sometime? (and @ZOS don't tell me to open a support ticket, you guys have already enough ticket abut it, time to do some work now!)
  • Carmina
    Carmina
    ✭✭✭
    There is no need to open a support ticket. ZOS is aware of the bug. They are just too uninterested and stupid to fix it. The Mac client is pretty much being shut down anyway, too much cost, too little profit. The crash problem exists for how long? The incompatible Launcher app is ages old. The spinning toon is back and ridiculous, since you now must fix it every time you start the game. The problem with crashes while switching apps was "solved" by letting ESO run in windowed mode only....

ZOS is totally incompetent and uninterested regarding the Mac client. No fixes will come, and they will stop supporting the Mac soon. End of story.

C.
  • Dr_Rektar
    Dr_Rektar
    ✭✭✭
    2021 : Problem still exists
    Engine guardian - best set ever
  • sgtnasty11b20
    sgtnasty11b20
    Soul Shriven
    I want to report that today I have been using the Mac client without any crashes. I am running on an
    Mac mini (M1, 2020)

16G ram and its great. There was a small update when I launched today. Im running around and teleporting with my pet and wild guardian - NO problems.

They must have fixed something, Launcher version: 3.6.12
  • sgtnasty11b20
    sgtnasty11b20
    Soul Shriven
    Alas it crashed after a couple of hours, I was being teleported via a portal and it crashed.
    :'(
  • doesurmindglow
    doesurmindglow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a common issue introduced by changes to the game's modeling system in the Flames of Ambition patch. It is something that is being worked on, as there is improvement from that patch in this one, and the issue was specifically identified in patch notes.

I do recommend submitting a ticket as that is the best way to get the relevant information to the Mac development team.

In the meantime the following workarounds have been effective for some users:
    • Rebooting and clearing virtual memory on reboot the traditional way.
    • Banishing pets, assistants, and probably companions before attempting an instance change.
    • Exiting fullscreen before attempting instance change.
    • If porting to another zone, avoid porting into a busy location (ie. use an outland wayshrine less likely to require rendering of a large number of player character models)
    • Switch to a Bootcamp Windows installation or the Stadia client (this seems to resolve it for most Mac users)

None of these achieve a 100% fix but it does reduce the frequency. As there are now numerous threads about this particular crash on the Mac client, and that it has persisted through the latest patch, it's clear the problem isn't with any individual machine, add-ons, or video drivers, but is clearly an issue of client stability on our platform that must be fixed at ZOS's level. The best we can do is attempt workarounds and continue to bring the issue to their attention with support tickets, I guess.
    Guildmaster : The Wild Hunt (formerly Aka Baka) : AD PC/NA
  • trimsic_ESO
    trimsic_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alas it crashed after a couple of hours, I was being teleported via a portal and it crashed.
    :'(
    Trying rebooting your Mac from time to time before you play ESO (once a day, or once a week, check which option is best for you).
    It helped me a lot...
  • Roukoru
    Roukoru
    ✭✭
    (as a side note from GNU+Linux world)
    an error R6025 after unmounting, in my case looks like as if has been solved by those changes in UserSettings.txt :
    MaxCoresToUse.4 "8"
    RequestedNumJobThreads "4"
    RequestedNumWorkerThreads "4"

p.s. while I have 2x Xeon with total 24 CPUs, raising those values only worsens FPS.
    Edited by Roukoru on June 26, 2021 2:53PM
    置之死地而后生 (In the land of death -- fight!)
  • SpiderCultist
    SpiderCultist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to report that today I have been using the Mac client without any crashes. I am running on an
    Mac mini (M1, 2020)

16G ram and its great. There was a small update when I launched today. Im running around and teleporting with my pet and wild guardian - NO problems.

They must have fixed something, Launcher version: 3.6.12

Hey, any special setup apart from giving accesibility rights to eso.app and launcher.app?
    I'm running a m1 mini w/ 16GB RAM as well and it crashes on every load screen with a exit status very similar to @vgabor 's (SIGSEGV)

The only thing left I can try is not to run ESO from an external drive...
    PC | EU
    Ashlander and Mephala worshipper.
    "You are just another breed of domestic animal, grazing stupidly while higher beings plot your slaughter."
  • polly83
    polly83
    Soul Shriven
    Today was patch/maintenance day. And as usual on such days, logging back in and trying to teleport anywhere works. Not sure how long it will last, but the constant crashes have gone for now. I've transported inter and intra region, both work, multiple times. Not tried to housing yet.
    Do others have a similar experience ?
    (P.S. this is on an M1 mac mini)
  • SpiderCultist
    SpiderCultist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    polly83 wrote: »
    Today was patch/maintenance day. And as usual on such days, logging back in and trying to teleport anywhere works. Not sure how long it will last, but the constant crashes have gone for now. I've transported inter and intra region, both work, multiple times. Not tried to housing yet.

I always crash when getting into my house on my m1 mini with SIGSEGV exit status, no matter if installed on external or internal SSD. Any advice?

EDIT:
    I've followed both of these articles:
    https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27828
    https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/31128/

Still no luck
    Edited by SpiderCultist on August 9, 2021 6:03PM
    PC | EU
    "You are just another breed of domestic animal, grazing stupidly while higher beings plot your slaughter."
  • Daghis
    Daghis
    Soul Shriven
    I'm only posting this as a +1 to the rest.

The game ran just fine on my older iMac, but it crashes frequently on my M1 MacBook Pro. Unfortunately, since it's running in emulation, I can't be sure how much is the ESO client and how much is Rosetta 2. I will note that a couple of times macOS has crashed while playing ESO, so there may be blame on both sides in my situation.

So, my current setup is to run ESO for Windows Intel inside Windows for ARM inside Parallels on the Mac. I only play this way when I "need" my plugins. Otherwise, I play on Stadia from my recliner.
  • SpiderCultist
    SpiderCultist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I switched to Stadia and I recommend it. It works well provided that you have good connectivity to the Internet. Case closed for me.
    PC | EU
  • aldriq
    aldriq
    ✭✭✭
    polly83 wrote: »

I'm afraid the server maintenance might only give a small reprieve (if any) for these crashes. I had 2 crashes on Saturday, none on Sunday and 1 yesterday (after the maintenance).

• Inoki
    Inoki
    ✭✭✭
    I switched to Stadia and I recommend it. It works well provided that you have good connectivity to the Internet. Case closed for me.
    The BIG problem with what you’re suggesting is that Stadia is available in a few regions worldwide.

Better would be GeForce NOW, but for some reason they won’t have it there.

Also, does anyone know if M1 with 8 GB will be enough?