Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

moving around

bakerbr13
bakerbr13
is there anyway to not use the mouse to go left or right. I do not want to use the mouse at all for movement.
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can constantly strafe, but unless you're missing a hand, there's a reason they use a mouse/keyboard combo.
    ----
    Murray?
  • bakerbr13
    bakerbr13
    it just feels so unnatural to use the mouse to move left and right
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand the question. Are you asking whether you can make it so you don't aim your character via the mouse? If that is your question, the answer is no. You use the mouse to decide which way you are facing, keys to actually move.
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bakerbr13 wrote: »
    it just feels so unnatural to use the mouse to move left and right

Name a PC game that doesn't?
    ----
    Murray?
  • bakerbr13
    bakerbr13
    I just wish I could move around without needing the mouse to change course. kind of like ffxiv or wow
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suppose it is a personal preference thing. I don't think I've ever used a "turn left" or "turn right" key in a video game. It is always faster to strafe with the keys and turn with the mouse.
  • Rhylanna
    Rhylanna
    ✭✭
    I, on the other hand, would LOVE it if I had the option to actually TURN with the mouse instead of just "looking" with the mouse. But if that's not doable, then even being able to bind keys to turn left and right would be a great help. I find it very disconcerting to think I'm facing one way only to find out when I attack something that I am actually only looking that way!
    Fatewalkers NA server, primarily Daggerfall Covenant, 30+ (mature, working folks with kids, dogs, etc!), casual, PVE oriented, small but growing!
    Antique Ordinatus Populus NA server, technically with Aldmeri Dominion but have members in all alliances, 40+ (even ++++!), mature, casual (fun people who sometimes forget what they're doing...or maybe that's just me :p ) antique-ordinatus-populus.enjin.com
  • vanderghast
    vanderghast
    ✭✭
    As someone mentioned, you move with the keys, and you look at a direction with the mouse, but you don't move with the mouse (you can, move with the mouse, such as holding a mouse button down, which is already assigned to a combat option though, but to look at something with a keyboard...? ).

You can try to change the point of view. Try looking over your shoulder with the camera. When you meet multiple monsters, it is fortunate to LOOK AT the one you want to attack (such as killing the "summoner" will automatically also kill his undead attacking you, no point to attack the undead, closer to you, than the summoner, which is doable, with a range attack/spell, if you "target" the summoner (I think, though, that the TAB key also allows to change target)).
  • Rhylanna
    Rhylanna
    ✭✭
    Where I am running into issues is when a mob jumps over me and attacks from behind. I can't just turn around. I can look around but if I attack at that point I am still attacking in the direction I am facing not the direction I am looking. So I have to move to actually face where the mob is now. (Targeting doesn't seem to help.) And even though I try to inch up, I inevitably wind up moving either on top of them or past them and well, there I am attacking nothing because they are still behind me. I understand there is no other option at the moment, just hoping someday there may be. Thanks for your advice and suggestions. :)
    Fatewalkers NA server, primarily Daggerfall Covenant, 30+ (mature, working folks with kids, dogs, etc!), casual, PVE oriented, small but growing!
    Antique Ordinatus Populus NA server, technically with Aldmeri Dominion but have members in all alliances, 40+ (even ++++!), mature, casual (fun people who sometimes forget what they're doing...or maybe that's just me :p ) antique-ordinatus-populus.enjin.com
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhylanna wrote: »
    Where I am running into issues is when a mob jumps over me and attacks from behind. I can't just turn around. I can look around but if I attack at that point I am still attacking in the direction I am facing not the direction I am looking. So I have to move to actually face where the mob is now. (Targeting doesn't seem to help.) And even though I try to inch up, I inevitably wind up moving either on top of them or past them and well, there I am attacking nothing because they are still behind me. I understand there is no other option at the moment, just hoping someday there may be. Thanks for your advice and suggestions. :)

I fail to see the problem. Turn around and hit them.
    Edited by nerevarine1138 on April 6, 2014 3:41PM
    ----
    Murray?
  • Coggage
    Coggage
    ✭✭✭✭
    Most of the mmorpgs I have played since 1998 used the mouse this way. If you don't like using a mouse try a controller maybe? That might do the trick for you.