Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Cancel a cast?

Korereactor
Korereactor
✭✭✭
Anyone know how to quickly cancel a cast so you can dodge? Is it possible? Moving doesn't do it. Any tips? I do have dodge bound to a single key...but I've noticed some times I can't dodge because I'm still casting (at least I think that's why, I had plenty of stamina at the time).

Also, anyone else think the ability queue is set too long? I can queue up two full casts, which generally is not intended, just get carried away with button mashing. :\
Edited by Korereactor on April 5, 2014 8:35PM
  • Korereactor
    Korereactor
    ✭✭✭
    Now when I try for a test it works fine, so I'm not sure what happened. Oh well. Nevermind.
  • Korereactor
    Korereactor
    ✭✭✭
    OK, I was right. When casting Crystal Fragments (Sorcerer) there's no way to cancel the cast and you can't dodge, at least that I know of. Ability queue times seem long as well. Anyone else notice this? Anyway to cancel the cast and dodge, or are you just screwed?
    Edited by Korereactor on April 5, 2014 10:18PM
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did you try blocking?
  • omnomolyub17_ESO
    I don't believe that you can. I've had this happen to me where I queue a skill with cast time while an enemy is charging a power attack and I get knocked down. Can't cancel to interrupt or block.

Would be nice if I could.
  • Korereactor
    Korereactor
    ✭✭✭
    Hawke wrote: »
    Did you try blocking?

I'll try testing that, but I don't think you can do anything else while casting Crystal Fragments. Once you queue it up - and if you queue it twice by accident, you're screwed. There needs to be a way to cancel some of these casting abilities, and the ability queue needs to be lowered just a tad to help prevent accidental queueing. If anything, just adding a cancel move would help tremendously. The combat is a bit odd right now, as if someone was about to pound me into Oblivion (see what I did there), I'd certainly stop casting and dodge out of the way, it'd be a natural reaction. I play a caster quite a bit in MMOs, and generally I can cancel casts in some way. I think because these casts allow movement it adds some complexity, but the capability to cancel should still be there.

I would also think in PvP not having a way to cancel this cast would be really frustrating. I'm level 23 and I haven't been to Cyrodiil yet (I know, not much into PvP, but may actually try in this one!).

Don't get me wrong, still loving ESO though.
    Edited by Korereactor on April 6, 2014 1:40PM
  • Korereactor
    Korereactor
    ✭✭✭
    Hawke wrote: »
    Did you try blocking?

So it looks like blocking does indeed cancel the cast - good to know thanks! Now I won't try to dodge when casting that anymore. IMHO dodging should cancel it as well, but it doesn't.
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Korereactor I know it works :smile: And I have no problem helping out.

Dodging should indeed cancel the spell as well, but unfortunately, it does not. The game has its little nuances indeed.