The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Sorc Healers Viability for End Game

Tal_72
Tal_72
✭✭
So I am wanting to PVE heal.

I have been reading up on Sorc healers. @Tasear has tested and posted extensively on their viability along with many builds. In reading recent patch notes, I see the 3rd bar (from Overload) has been removed. So, I presume pre-nerf, it was viable for sorcs to heal (and provide buffs/support). Post nerf, how are they?

As everyone knows, leveling and gearing take a lot of time, so I don't to spend a bunch of time to learn way down the road I can't heal effectively/won't be wanted. If that is true, then I presume Templar and Warden are meta?
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally think Sorc healing is alot of fun, I prefer massivly to templar and @Tasear is indeed the goddess of sorc healing at all levels. If you look up her latest builds im sure there are no OL bar versions on the thread now.

I'm nervous about it as that third bar was really needed on a proper (both/dual) pet build.

I can't vouch for vet content etc as not on PTS and am console, but am sure others will advise.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well pets now don't get damaged in group dungeons, arenas and trials, so they should be more viable then ever before. Bar space is the only issue, but you don't need to manage your pets anymore. They were also reduced in cost. The matriarch is basically a better breath of life I've heard.
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • db0ssman
    db0ssman
    ✭✭✭
    It's kind of more accurate to say Templar is META and warden/sorc were viable alternatives. From what I understand, the main reason people play sorcs as healers in endgame is for the conduit synergy on tanks. Other than that, most of its utility is tied to gear sets & shared abilities. In that sense, I can't imagine losing the overload bar will hurt a sorc in end game (if by that you mean vTrials). It will probably hurt play of a sorc more in mid-game content where you could have been creative with your build and incorporated the overload bar more freely.

Disclaimer: I'm by far not an expert on sorc healing, so someone else can probably give you a more definitive 'yes this terrible' or 'no it doesn't matter.'
    Starfire Protocol lvl 50 NB Redmage healer - Main + Master Crafter
    Gives Good Heed lvl 50 Warden Super Buff Healer
    Crafty Smyth lvl 50 Stamblade Poison Assassin - Farmer
    Everyon's Pal Adin lvl 44 Templar Splash Healer
    Stands Against Danger lvl 16 DK Tank -ex mule
    Matriarch Tamer lvl 18 Baby Sorc Healer
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say dungeon wise they are the best. Just the other day invited three people to join me for a a random normal... but awakard that 2 or them were Sorc healers. There's something to be said about the overabundance twlight Maritaches in the game.

Murkmire updates: pets immortal, negate actually stuns mobs again, more sustain with overlord or dark conversation, shield are weaker, 3 bars gone.

Pros concussion uptime, conduit synergy, minor prohechy, 15% cheaper war horns

Tldr overload healing was meta for us but there are still options just not as fun and some skills could use some love still.
    Edited by Tasear on October 22, 2018 9:41PM
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Overload really didn't do anything for PvE healing. There aren't even enough viable Skills to fill it anyway and you couldn't weave on it, messing up weapon enchant uptimes. If anything Sorcheal is easier to play now, but really didn't change in terms of potential. Your Pet is invincible now, before getting it killed was a issue if you didn't know what you were doing. It is over all fine, can provide everything you need and heal through every situation. It's not meta, but unless you are aiming for the top of the leader board it shouldn't matter.
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • Tal_72
    Tal_72
    ✭✭
    Tasear wrote: »
    Tldr overload healing was meta for us but there are still options just not as fun and some skills could use some love still.

Not only less effective but also less fun. And now I have the answer to my question. Disappointed (Hercules meme). Maybe down the road. Guess I'll go high elf warden (don't want to be a lizard).
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tal_72 wrote: »
    Tasear wrote: »

Not only less effective but also less fun. And now I have the answer to my question. Disappointed (Hercules meme). Maybe down the road. Guess I'll go high elf warden (don't want to be a lizard).

I suspect that Bretons are a little better than Altmer for healing characters. But the difference surely isn't big in either direction.
  • Tal_72
    Tal_72
    ✭✭

I suspect that Bretons are a little better than Altmer for healing characters. But the difference surely isn't big in either direction.

Recovery vs Cost Reduction sound pretty close. Assuming they are close enough (and that other Altmer are successful as healers), you're left comparing DPS vs resist, which gives it to Altmer for me.