Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Crafting

Stabs
Stabs
When I try to craft anything it says I need to Learn Style to Unlock. The Style I am crafting is my own races. Is this correct?
  • Stabs
    Stabs
    Thanks for the reply.

Yes I understand that to craft an item in other races style I need to unlock that style first.

However I am trying to make (in this case a Resto Staff) in my own races style yet it still has the Obsidian red and says I need to Learn that style to Unlock it. I have crafted a belt before no problem so was wondering if something changed that I missed.
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless you are Imperial, you need to choose the style you want when crafting. Imperials can change the style of items after they are crafted. You default to only knowing your own style, but it doesn't take long to get others. Primative and daedric seem to be the two most rare styles at the moment.
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stabs wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.

Yes I understand that to craft an item in other races style I need to unlock that style first.

However I am trying to make (in this case a Resto Staff) in my own races style yet it still has the Obsidian red and says I need to Learn that style to Unlock it. I have crafted a belt before no problem so was wondering if something changed that I missed.

Do you have Obsidian in your inventory?

I'd click both checkboxes at the top (have skill, have items) before doing any crafting to avoid confusion.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm assuming your character is Dunmer? That is the racial style that uses Obsidian.
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RakeWorm wrote: »
    Unless you are Imperial, you need to choose the style you want when crafting. Imperials can change the style of items after they are crafted. You default to only knowing your own style, but it doesn't take long to get others. Primative and daedric seem to be the two most rare styles at the moment.

Just to correct a bit of confusion: if you have the Imperial Edition, any character of any race can convert any non-bound item to the Imperial style. It has nothing to do with crafting, where any non-Imperial will need the style book to craft in that style. And Imperials cannot convert their armor to another racial style.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Stabs
    Stabs
    RakeWorm wrote: »
    I'm assuming your character is Dunmer? That is the racial style that uses Obsidian.

*looks well embarrassed*

That comes from swapping characters too often - I was on my Wood Elf not the Dark Elf. Bought some Bone and voila!

Sorry for the noob mistakes people - but then this is the noob players forum...