The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Hello Again

thearchivist95
I played a while back and took a break for almost a year. I'm coming back with little memory of class mechanics, and even then I'm sure things have changed. I'm starting fresh, is my point. I'm going to be making a fresh character, and would like some advice on what may be good for my playstyle. I'd like to play a caster if possible, that can tank. I'd also like to deal okay-ish damage. That's not to say I want to compete with DPS, but enough damage that solo content is bearable. I know that's somewhat specific, but if anyone has a suggestion that fits, let me know! And it's good to be back!
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might consider a magic templar. Mine is specialized as a healer but she can do +15 dps if she lowers the uptime on her heals/buffs. Skills like Blockade of Storms, Purifying Light or Reflective Light and Puncturing Sweeps can do pretty good damage while supporting her healing role. Her own heals plus Channeled Focus for defense/sustain means she can pretty safely hold a boss in her face and sustain Puncturing Sweeps as long as it takes. Note that safely taking on a boss face-to-face is not tanking. She does not slot any sort of taunt, cannot root or lock down opponents and cannot pull foes to herself. Nor does she have the damage mitigation that a real tank has - her main defense is the fact that she is a potent healer and the same heals that help others help her as well. I do play a tank also but he is a classic heavy metal sword & board DK. He can't do any damage but he is darn near unkillable and can grab/hold bosses & crowds. A real tank can be tedious to play in solo however.

I find her (the magplar) very fun, flexible and capable - whether supporting a group as their healer or soloing reasonably challenging content like most of the non-dlc world bosses and several of the non-dlc normal group dungeons.

Lastly, a magplar comes out of the box at low level pretty strong and stays that way so they are fun right from the start. :)
    Edited by AcadianPaladin on October 21, 2018 2:36AM
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • thearchivist95
    Anything in that vein that can tank well?
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You looking for solo and PvE and or PvP? I really can't give advice since I am not good at the game, I just play for fun and die a lot. From what I gather if you are not going to do PvP, just go with anything you want. I have learned the hard way of trying to "game" what people said and I had no fun.

So if you want to be an Ork Sorcerer, go ahead. If you want to be a "caster" after 4 years, I found out all classes are "casters", just in different ways. For me I found the sorcerer the most "mage" like characters out of them all, but they all have magic skills. If you are going for PvP, then I don't have a clue sorry. From what I am told, every class and race can be mixed up in PvE without too much difference.

I tried the "builds" and wasn't having fun so I am just doing my own thing and having the most fun now. Yes I die a lot. Yes I don't have a clue what I am doing. At least I am having fun now.

Are you going to get ESO+? Do you already have Morrowind? If not, ESO+ has Morrowind included now but not the Warden. That will need to be bought seperatley now. Not sure if you knew that or not.

Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • thearchivist95
    So after refamiliarizing myself with the game a bit, I've narrowed it down to warden, nightblade, and sorc tanks, all of which i'd be using an ice staff. Can anyone tell me which of those has the best solo content DPS and skillset for tanking in general?
  • thearchivist95
    Does stamina and magicka still affect damage of correlating abilities?
  • Rake
    Rake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    wb
  • thearchivist95
    I think i want to do NB imperial but I'm wondering if weapon damage is determined by stam and magicka determine staff damage?
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your damage for staves and spells that cost magicka scale with spell damage and magicka.

Your damage for all other weapons and spells that cost stamina scale with weapon damage and stamina.

Damage dealers tend to pour all attributes into either mag or stam, depending on their desired weapon and spell suite.

Edited by AcadianPaladin on October 22, 2018 2:16AM
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo