Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Can't do damage

• Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    md3788 wrote: »
    With reference to this... I don't believe this IS an AOE... are you referring to the first skill in the line? Puncture... it morphs into Pierce Armour (which debuffs spell resistance as well as physical), and Ransack (which increases my physical resistance). I see no reference to a self heal or aoe in either description...

Puncturing strikes is a skill from the templar skill line "Aedric Spear", this skill https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Puncturing_Strikes.

I swapped out Ransack for Low Slash, and I can't say I'm much impressed. It uses twice the stamina, does less damage and attacks more slowly (and looks kind of silly). However, I haven't got it morphed yet, I'll let you know more when I do

ransack is the weaker morph of "Puncture", https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Puncture, the other morph is better because it will raise your damage with magic and physical sources. the resist you get from ransack is only ~2% damage mitigation. hardly anything, meanwhile, your spell will hit for ~11% more damage if you use the other morph.

Low Slash, https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Low_Slash, is not used for damage, i was simply pointing out that you where wrong when you said "Part of the issue might be a lack of AOE damage. Every other weapon has some kind of AOE attack, but not so with sword and shield." the skill is used for the minor main, which lower the damage from the mob you are hitting with the skill by 15%, morphed to heroic slash, gives ulti gen as well, both thing tanks need to do.

There are some conceptual limitations on the character. He's not using any of his class skills (yet), except the one healing spell. The only magic he's learned to use since coming to Tamriel is what he's learned at the Mage's Guild (meaning staff skills and Mage Guild skills...). At present, I don't even have an ultimate to use.

if you are RPing then stop asking for changes to fundamental game mechanics, that you don't understand. you are not playing the game like you ought to be if you want the results you desire. this really erked me-
    Second, I'm going to suggest a revamp of this skill set. There's just no way to do any decent damage. Perhaps adjusting the morphs so one provides more dps while the other provides more defense (and taunting).

you have no idea how to play the game, moreover you seem to not want to learn, because of RP reasons. so either learn to play the game, or RP a reason why your toon sucks. asking for fundamental game mechanics to be changed, while you are level 33, while RPing is just bad.

@Lightspeedflashb14_ESO Ease up on the guy. People make suggestions every day on these forums, 99.9% of them won't be changed but that doesn't stop people from doing it. He obviously knows how to play the game being CP300.

OP keep playing how you want to play and just ignore the negativity from people like this. I think you understand that you aren't going to be endgame raiding with a sword and board but you make a valid point that sword and board is 100% pigeonholed into tanking and does next to nothing in terms of damage.
    The bolded is flatout wrong. I have seen grand overlords in pvp, doing nothing else than spam light attacks. Time invested =/= skill.

@Morgha_Kul Look. It is completely fine to play the game how you want. Just have the self reflection so see that you lack knowledge about how the game works and how things synergize, AND that you chose play an RP build. I encourage you to find a build that fits your RP, while also being somewhat effective. But if you want that, you need to start thinking critically. Is what I want possible? And is it reasonable to do good damage with just snb, compared to the amount of effort others put into their builds? You need to look for sets that synergize with your playstyle, gold out your weapons, use the correct enchants, gear sets, etc.

What you don't do is ask for the game to be changed so that your ineffective build can become effective. No. You chose the RP life. Just live with the consequences. Make of it what you can, just don't involve yourself in a discussion about balance, when you lack knowledge and experience in how the game works at a higher level. This is not meant to be condescending. It is just the truth.

Now, if you are dead set on using SnB as your main form of damage, you might want to check out the set called "Knight Errant". It increases the damage of your SnB skills, while also providing a heal. It drops from blackheart haven and I think it fits your RP. Then just slam on another damage set. Another thing is, don't just spam ransack. But rather combo with it. In pvp people do quite good damage with ransack. The combo needs to be animation cancelled (yes, another thing you need to get used to if you want to do good damage) and goes like this: light attack + ransack + bash. This combo alone does quite okay damage in single target.

SnB is a single target skill line offering debuffs (to healing, damage and resistances), buffs and stuns. If you want AoE, check out your class skills or use bow or 2h for that. Just try to look for solutions im stead of demanding ZOS to feed you your damage.
    Edited by Koensol on October 19, 2018 8:29AM
  • Morgha_Kul
    Morgha_Kul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To clarify...

I know that the sword and shield skillset is designed mainly for tanking. I understand that means its damage will be somewhat lower than what might be thought of as average.

I also know that my character has some conceptual limitations that are making it harder to do damage overall. I don't have ALL of his points in Stamina since he DOES use some magicka skills, mainly for healing. However, I do have him set up with bonuses to his Max Stamina (and a little to Health), in an effort to get his damage up a bit. I also know that with no CP spent as yet, he's not going to benefit from the points he does have.

It's not that I'm not open to suggestions; quite the contrary. I'm quite willing to listen to advice and ideas how to improve his performance, within the limits of the concept.

I did not start this thread to suggest a change to anything except my character. I want to be clear on that. My suggestions for changes to the skills was merely for the sake of discussion, as it seemed to me there was kind of a hole in the set, compared to all the others. In reality, if I had been designing the sets, they would have had three 'basic' skills each. One for doing damage, one for defense and one for area damage. The remaining two would be designed to reflect the "role" of the set.

For instance, Two Handed weapons might have had Uppercut (damage), Cleave (aoe) and Momentum, with two more skills based on doing damage, since that's the role of the 2 handed weapons.
    One Hand and Shield would have had Puncture (damage), Some kind of slash (aoe) and Defensive Stance, with two more skills designed around tanking.
    Even Restoration Staff would have been done this way, with something for damage, something for aoe and something for defense, with two more skills based on healing.

Now, discussing these ideas does not mean I'm actually suggesting them. I might like to see things tweaked along these lines, but I really don't expect it to happen, and I wouldn't expect anyone else to expect it to happen... so relax.

In any case, I've dropped Low Slash, it's just too stamina expensive for general use, and its "aoe" is kind of lackluster, as it only affects 2 other targets. I'll stick with Ransack. My damage output is adequate, if underwhelming, and will undoubtedly improve once I get into my CP and get some more permanent gear.

Once more, I appreciate everyone's thoughts on the matter.
    Exploring Tamriel since 1994.
  • malicia
    malicia
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Morgha_Kul -what skills do you currently have on your bars?

Also - I get that you don't want to use your class abilities yet. However, will you be willing to slot some of them so as to level them and open up the passive?
    Edited by malicia on October 19, 2018 9:09AM
    PC, EU
    Not elite, not the best. Just enjoying ESO.
    Not the worst either. "Casual" != "totally ignorant"
    @taciti
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Morgha_Kul wrote: »
    To clarify...

I know that the sword and shield skillset is designed mainly for tanking. I understand that means its damage will be somewhat lower than what might be thought of as average.

I also know that my character has some conceptual limitations that are making it harder to do damage overall. I don't have ALL of his points in Stamina since he DOES use some magicka skills, mainly for healing. However, I do have him set up with bonuses to his Max Stamina (and a little to Health), in an effort to get his damage up a bit. I also know that with no CP spent as yet, he's not going to benefit from the points he does have.

It's not that I'm not open to suggestions; quite the contrary. I'm quite willing to listen to advice and ideas how to improve his performance, within the limits of the concept.

I did not start this thread to suggest a change to anything except my character. I want to be clear on that. My suggestions for changes to the skills was merely for the sake of discussion, as it seemed to me there was kind of a hole in the set, compared to all the others. In reality, if I had been designing the sets, they would have had three 'basic' skills each. One for doing damage, one for defense and one for area damage. The remaining two would be designed to reflect the "role" of the set.

For instance, Two Handed weapons might have had Uppercut (damage), Cleave (aoe) and Momentum, with two more skills based on doing damage, since that's the role of the 2 handed weapons.
    One Hand and Shield would have had Puncture (damage), Some kind of slash (aoe) and Defensive Stance, with two more skills designed around tanking.
    Even Restoration Staff would have been done this way, with something for damage, something for aoe and something for defense, with two more skills based on healing.

Now, discussing these ideas does not mean I'm actually suggesting them. I might like to see things tweaked along these lines, but I really don't expect it to happen, and I wouldn't expect anyone else to expect it to happen... so relax.

In any case, I've dropped Low Slash, it's just too stamina expensive for general use, and its "aoe" is kind of lackluster, as it only affects 2 other targets. I'll stick with Ransack. My damage output is adequate, if underwhelming, and will undoubtedly improve once I get into my CP and get some more permanent gear.

I understand you. Though it is a matter of perspective. You are coming at this from an RP perspective, where you wish that every skill line offers the same template. But imagine this from the perspective of PvE (vet dungeons and trials). If ZOS would take your approach, a main tank would complain how he only has a few useful skills from SnB to tank with. He wouldn't need this SnB AoE attack end would up lacking tools to do his job, so to say. Not saying it is like that, but just an example how you have to look at the bigger picture.

This game is designed to be all about combining weapons and different skill lines to complete a build. It is not: "pick 1 weapon as your build and be able to do everything". That would severely limit theorycrafting.

I would love to give you some advice, but we need to know where you are at right now. Tell us what you wear, what quality the gear is and what food, mundus and stuff you use. Also the skills you have slotted.
  • Morgha_Kul
    Morgha_Kul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's now L39. He's wearing the L36 Hundings gear in Medium (5 parts), with the same L33ish Storm Knight Heavy gear (4 parts). Most of that gear is only white quality. His weapons are blue quality, however, though they don't have a set.

His skillbar, currently, is
    1. Honour the Dead
    2. Shielded Charge - Critical Rush - Mutagen
    3. Ransack - Brawler - Combat Prayer
    4. Structured Entropy
    5. Volcanic Rune

Most often bar one is the Sword and Board, but I'll sometimes go 2 handed. The other is always the Restoration Staff.

The food I use most often is a radish dish that boosts both Magicka and Stamina... I don't recall what it's called offhand.
    Mundus Stone is the Lady (I think?)... it boosts physical and spell penetration.

I get what you're saying about the skill trees, and I think you're probably correct.
    Koensol wrote: »
    To clarify...

I understand you. Though it is a matter of perspective. You are coming at this from an RP perspective, where you wish that every skill line offers the same template. But imagine this from the perspective of PvE (vet dungeons and trials). If ZOS would take your approach, a main tank would complain how he only has a few useful skills from SnB to tank with. He wouldn't need this SnB AoE attack end would up lacking tools to do his job, so to say. Not saying it is like that, but just an example how you have to look at the bigger picture.

This game is designed to be all about combining weapons and different skill lines to complete a build. It is not: "pick 1 weapon as your build and be able to do everything". That would severely limit theorycrafting.

I would love to give you some advice, but we need to know where you are at right now. Tell us what you wear, what quality the gear is and what food, mundus and stuff you use. Also the skills you have slotted.

• Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been agonizing, trying desperately to do something to get my damage level to something reasonable, but nothing I've done seems to help. So, here I am.

The character in question uses sword and board. Now, I know that's a set meant to be more defensive, but the disparity in offense is ridiculously extreme.

For example, I went to a Dolmen and happened to be there when the cultists appeared to begin the anchor bit. I attacked one and was busily stabbing away at him when someone HALF my level came in and obliterated them all in about 3 seconds. I'd been fighting them for about 30 seconds, and hadn't even managed to bring down the one I had been attacking.

As I say, I get it, it's a tanking set, but even low level characters are VASTLY exceeding the damage I'm doing... and I can't seem to do anything to remedy the situation.

At the moment I'm using 5 pieces Hunding's, and 4 Storm Knight (the helmet stubbornly refuses to drop for me). I haven't spent my CP, as the character concept makes that rather a complicated task, but it shouldn't be necessary to be able to do something with sword and board.

Part of the issue might be a lack of AOE damage. Every other weapon has some kind of AOE attack, but not so with sword and shield.

So... this thread has two purposes.

First, I was hoping for some suggestions as to how I might remedy this. The character is a Templar, but has a particular concept (I won't get into). Think Paladin, and you'll be on the track. At present he's L36.

Second, I'm going to suggest a revamp of this skill set. There's just no way to do any decent damage. Perhaps adjusting the morphs so one provides more dps while the other provides more defense (and taunting).

Anyway, any thoughts are welcome.

You have no CP, are using a sword and board, and you wonder why your damage is bad? I mean, I dont think I need to state the obvious here.

Now certainly, you could build for enough damage to take out a dolmen, but you need to make some build choices. Play the way you want doesnt always work out all that well, especially at low level when you dont have a full build.

Best thing you can do, even with a sword/board is spec mostly into magic and spell damage in my opinion. That way you can use sweeps, shards, reflective light, and your execute, without needing to rely on S/B skills for damage. Stamina characters largely rely on on weapon line skills to make up the bulk of their damage, and S/B aint one of those weapons. Only stamina abiliites you really have for damage as a stam player without using a damage focused weapon are Jabs and POTL.

Dont get me wrong, I applaud outside the box thinking, but these types of builds are much easier to pull off with some CP under your belt so you can compensate for any inherent weaknesses in your build. Even when leveling a character that you expect to be a tank or healer, you need to slide the needle towards DPS while at low levels, or it will just be painful.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on October 19, 2018 5:16PM
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You have a whole two stam abilities on your bar...

Remove Honor the Dead, Entropy, and Volcanic Rune from your bars. Don’t run anything from the Resto line, you don’t have any stats that make the abilities useful.

Readjust your character attributes to push the vast majority into Stamina, then maybe 5 into Health. No Magicka, you’ll have a 10k pool of it anyway for any utility mag abilities.

Biting Jabs (Templar line)
    Puncture (S&B)
    Shielded Charge (S&B)
    Blazing Shield (Templar)
    Heroic Slash (S&B)
    Ulti: stam morph of Sweeps (Templar

Use the Warrior or Thief Mundus, using Puncture you don’t have a need for The Lady
    Edited by Jhalin on October 19, 2018 5:24PM
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's now L39. He's wearing the L36 Hundings gear in Medium (5 parts), with the same L33ish Storm Knight Heavy gear (4 parts). Most of that gear is only white quality. His weapons are blue quality, however, though they don't have a set.

There really isn't a reason for running white armor or non-set pieces. At the very least you should craft yourself blue equipment, with purple weapons. Otherwise your damage will suffer no matter what skills you are using.
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry but what I don't understand is if your going to the trouble of playing RP and hindering your playstyle, doesn't it break RP to go on the forums and ask for help on how to get more dps out of a tanking and healing weapons.

I never played eso in the RP sense, but wouldn't it be more rewarding to hit level 50 after exploring every nook and cranny, I know I played that same way with the single player elder scrolls. Only hitting wiki's and guides after my first month or so of playing so as to not spoil any elements and learn what works and what doesn't.

Furthermore, can't expect a lot of damage when you are level 39 with lower level white-blue gear, not using 2 full 5 piece sets, have no cp, avoiding using class skills, and using magicka dmg skills with stamina dps equipment.

Are you light/heavy attack weaving, those help with dps too. As a templar, you don't have major brutality/sorcery, thats + 20% weapon/spell dmg. Entropy is a pretty good option except you're in medium armor and have medium armor sets with sword and board which scales on stamina/weapon dmg.

Really, best not worry about who comes along and does more dmg at what level vs you, you've pretty much chosen the most difficult way to play and 1-50 and cp 1-160 has a scaling feature that BOOSTs your stats if you have equipment that is up to date by providing full stats or LOWERs your stats if you have equipment that isn't close to your current level.

For example: If your level 30 and you equip a level 30 ring for + 800 stamina and 100 weapon dmg, that same ring at level 40 may only give you 300 stamina and 40 weapon dmg.

When I level a new character 1-50, I'm using ALL purple gear, max cp, only stam skills or only mag skills, 2x 5 piece sets all leveled 3/10/20/30/36/44. New weapons every 3-5 levels. Purple dubious cameron throne or witchmothers potent brew drinks (Scale with your level). Purple dmg enchants on jewelry.

If I came across you, I would melt things too, but you would never be able to tell based on my level.
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • Morgha_Kul
    Morgha_Kul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »

There really isn't a reason for running white armor or non-set pieces. At the very least you should craft yourself blue equipment, with purple weapons. Otherwise your damage will suffer no matter what skills you are using.

Well... I didn't want to waste the resources upgrading gear I'd be outleveling three or four times a week.
    I've been agonizing, trying desperately to do something to get my damage level to something reasonable, but nothing I've done seems to help. So, here I am.

The character in question uses sword and board. Now, I know that's a set meant to be more defensive, but the disparity in offense is ridiculously extreme.

For example, I went to a Dolmen and happened to be there when the cultists appeared to begin the anchor bit. I attacked one and was busily stabbing away at him when someone HALF my level came in and obliterated them all in about 3 seconds. I'd been fighting them for about 30 seconds, and hadn't even managed to bring down the one I had been attacking.

As I say, I get it, it's a tanking set, but even low level characters are VASTLY exceeding the damage I'm doing... and I can't seem to do anything to remedy the situation.

At the moment I'm using 5 pieces Hunding's, and 4 Storm Knight (the helmet stubbornly refuses to drop for me). I haven't spent my CP, as the character concept makes that rather a complicated task, but it shouldn't be necessary to be able to do something with sword and board.

Part of the issue might be a lack of AOE damage. Every other weapon has some kind of AOE attack, but not so with sword and shield.

First, I was hoping for some suggestions as to how I might remedy this. The character is a Templar, but has a particular concept (I won't get into). Think Paladin, and you'll be on the track. At present he's L36.

You have no CP, are using a sword and board, and you wonder why your damage is bad? I mean, I dont think I need to state the obvious here.

Now certainly, you could build for enough damage to take out a dolmen, but you need to make some build choices. Play the way you want doesnt always work out all that well, especially at low level when you dont have a full build.

Best thing you can do, even with a sword/board is spec mostly into magic and spell damage in my opinion. That way you can use sweeps, shards, reflective light, and your execute, without needing to rely on S/B skills for damage. Stamina characters largely rely on on weapon line skills to make up the bulk of their damage, and S/B aint one of those weapons. Only stamina abiliites you really have for damage as a stam player without using a damage focused weapon are Jabs and POTL.

Dont get me wrong, I applaud outside the box thinking, but these types of builds are much easier to pull off with some CP under your belt so you can compensate for any inherent weaknesses in your build. Even when leveling a character that you expect to be a tank or healer, you need to slide the needle towards DPS while at low levels, or it will just be painful.

So... I'm a little perplexed at the mechanics, then. I was under the impression Max Stamia (ie. the stamina pool itself, as opposed to the stamina stat on the character page) increased weapon damage - that is, both the skills and the light and heavy attacks. Are you suggesting that putting points in Stamina is a waste?

It's proving to be more of an interesting thought experiment, however it turns out.
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well... I didn't want to waste the resources upgrading gear I'd be outleveling three or four times a week.

It isn't all that expensive really. And you don't need to replace the equipment everytime you level up, only when you start feeling like its time for an upgrade. By using white/non-set equipment you are making the leveling more painful than it needs to be.

• Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

So... I'm a little perplexed at the mechanics, then. I was under the impression Max Stamia (ie. the stamina pool itself, as opposed to the stamina stat on the character page) increased weapon damage - that is, both the skills and the light and heavy attacks. Are you suggesting that putting points in Stamina is a waste?

It's proving to be more of an interesting thought experiment, however it turns out.

You need to pick how you want to do damage. If you want S&B abilities to do damage, you need to go fully into stam. If you want your Mage’s Guild and class abilities to do damage then go fully into mag. You can’t have it both ways.

Get blue gear at least, if all you’re wearing is white then you may as well just equip random dropped gear as you go for all the good it’s doing you.
    Edited by Jhalin on October 20, 2018 7:49AM