The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

RNG within crafting.

Maximus_Starks
Maximus_Starks
Soul Shriven
ESO is a wonderful game one that has many stories, characters, and different ways to play the game. Those of you who play PVE, are mainly focused on acquiring the best gear every time you delve into a dungeon. Those of you who are PVP specific, you are looking for the best gear to beat other players. If you are serious about either of these aspects of the game, you are going to get explore more parts of the game which are: professions. If you don't know how it works a TL;DR is you acquire materials from the world to create an end products: food, weapons, or clothing. higher level PVP and PVE players explore a huge amount of this part of the game, by crafting high level weapons and high level foods to give them extra stats to go give the monsters of Tamriel some oblivion. The problem that I have with crafting and is the point of this post is to discuss the RNG of crafting recipes. Let's say that you are going to complete a crafting writ for cooking, can't find the recipe at the local brewer or cook? then you must take the time to go around different cooks/brewers around Tamriel... and yes the ENTIRETY of Tamriel. But hey, you're a smart guy/girl you go to some guild vendors to go see if they have some recipes in stock. The problem with starting out with cooking is most people find low level recipes and then chuck em in a chest or delete them in general discarding the idea of putting it into a guild vendor. The problem with the recipe aspect of the game is that it is hugely based on RNG and the numbers are so incredibly low to find recipes that i'm starting to believe that you can find white and green cooking recipes at the same rate as purple crating recipes for weapons! I believe that this is a huge problem that needs to be addressed, and the developers need to alter some of the numbers on some of the recipes of the game.

- Thanks for your opinions,

Maximus_Starks
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are required a certain food for a provisioning writ and can not find the recipe from a chef (food) or brewer (drink), you need to visit a different alliance and check with those chef/brewer npcs. Zone npcs sell recipes specific to their alliance, and if you're shopping an npc in a differing alliance that your character, you will not find the recipe you need.

Bottom line, visit an inn in your home alliance and check again.

As a last resort, provisioning is the only profession where someone else can craft the food for you and it will count towards the daily writ. So you can always ask a guild mate, or get on an alternate character that does have the recipe learned, and make a stack of the food so you can use it for future writs that call for it again.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• Maximus_Starks
    Maximus_Starks
    Soul Shriven
    Alright thanks for your opinion, but what I'm getting at is that you shouldn't have to go out of your way to obtain basic recipes for crafting writs. Like I said in my post when a person has to find a certain recipe, and can't find it in the vicinity it is incredibly frustrating to add 30 minutes to go around tamriel and other guilds to find recipes. Tuning numbers shouldn't be that big of an issue.
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Alright thanks for your opinion, but what I'm getting at is that you shouldn't have to go out of your way to obtain basic recipes for crafting writs. Like I said in my post when a person has to find a certain recipe, and can't find it in the vicinity it is incredibly frustrating to add 30 minutes to go around tamriel and other guilds to find recipes. Tuning numbers shouldn't be that big of an issue.

Every brewer or chef should have the recipes that you need for writs for your character for your crafting level. That said you need to approach those npc's on that character as the required recipes are specific to that characters faction.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Every brewer or chef should have the recipes that you need for writs for your character for your crafting level. That said you need to approach those npc's on that character as the required recipes are specific to that characters faction.

This. Every brewer and chef in the game has a dynamic inventory which consist of the exact recipes you need for the writs of your current craft level. If you put a point in the passive and level it up, talk to him again and his wares will now reflect your new level.

The issue described by the OP already has a solution. There may be other aspects of crafting that require running around, but provisioning daily writs are not one of them.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The simple answer Zos made being able to obtain provisioning recipes easy by making them available from NPC vendors if we had not obtained them from looting. We also might get them from the writ rewards as well or can look at guild traders to see if we can find a deal.

Edited by idk on October 5, 2018 10:16PM
  • Androconium
    Androconium
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO is a wonderful game one that has many stories, characters, and different ways to play the game.

Those of you who play PVE, are mainly focused on acquiring the best gear every time you delve into a dungeon. Those of you who are PVP specific, you are looking for the best gear to beat other players. If you are serious about either of these aspects of the game, you are going to get explore more parts of the game which are: professions.

If you don't know how it works a TL;DR is you acquire materials from the world to create an end products: food, weapons, or clothing. higher level PVP and PVE players explore a huge amount of this part of the game, by crafting high level weapons and high level foods to give them extra stats to go give the monsters of Tamriel some oblivion.

The problem that I have with crafting and is the point of this post is to discuss the RNG of crafting recipes.

Let's say that you are going to complete a crafting writ for cooking, can't find the recipe at the local brewer or cook? then you must take the time to go around different cooks/brewers around Tamriel... and yes the ENTIRETY of Tamriel. But hey, you're a smart guy/girl you go to some guild vendors to go see if they have some recipes in stock.

The problem with starting out with cooking is most people find low level recipes and then chuck em in a chest or delete them in general discarding the idea of putting it into a guild vendor. The problem with the recipe aspect of the game is that it is hugely based on RNG and the numbers are so incredibly low to find recipes that i'm starting to believe that you can find white and green cooking recipes at the same rate as purple crating recipes for weapons!

I believe that this is a huge problem that needs to be addressed, and the developers need to alter some of the numbers on some of the recipes of the game.

- Thanks for your opinions,

Maximus_Starks

You can find low level recipes at guilds. Most guilds keep them in the guild bank for exactly the situation that you describe.
    If you haven't tried, ask or look in your guilds (or their bank) first. Then ask in zone chat.

Common (incl. green) recipes sell for 30-50GP. Few traders want to waste a trading slot for that type of sale.
  • Androconium
    Androconium
    ✭✭✭✭✭

In my experience, RNJesus says any provision writ you collect will be either:
    • You don't have the recipe
    • You don't have the ingredient
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ZOS "fixed" this problem quite a while ago (as other posters have mentioned) by providing THE EXACT recipes you need to complete your writs on the chef and brewer vendors. They WILL HAVE the recipes you need if you visit ones in your faction. No running around or shopping guild traders needed (unless you want to find a better deal).

Before they made this change - yes, it was a nightmare to find certain writ recipes, and prices were often outrageous at guild traders. There was a thread that was created where people asked for either a certain writ recipe or the crafted food. I put myself on that list as someone who could supply the crafted food and I had several players mail me asking for x food or y drink for their daily writ. I crafted them stacks of what they asked for to get them by until they could find the recipe themselves.

Now, all you have to do is go to your local chef/brewer and buy the recipes. They get more expensive the higher the level, though, so you'll have to have the gold on hand - or try finding them cheaper at a trader. The downside is that writ recipes no longer drop in the writ reward containers (except at top level).
  • DBZVelena
    DBZVelena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pretty sure writs do still drop from writ rewards. else how did i get those recipes that are clogging up my bank hu? And not just top reward writs. most my toons only have basic level provisioning.
    What are Natch Potes? Can you eat those?
    I believe in Genie-Gina.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DBZVelena wrote: »
    pretty sure writs do still drop from writ rewards. else how did i get those recipes that are clogging up my bank hu? And not just top reward writs. most my toons only have basic level provisioning.

And the RNG AI means that it will likely be the recipe for the same thing you just handed in.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DBZVelena wrote: »

No, when they added the writ recipes to the chefs/brewers, they removed them from the writ reward containers - EXCEPT for the top tier writs, as I mentioned previously.

Obviously, writ recipes still drop in the usual places, so you can still loot them from containers/enemies.

EDIT:

Provisioning Update
    Vendors now sell recipes used in Provisioning Writs, which will ensure provisioners are able to reasonably complete any Provisioning Writ received.
    Food recipes will appear on Chefs, while drink recipes show up on Brewers.
    The recipes offered are based on your current level of Recipe Improvement, though they also will offer recipes from the previous rank as well.
    Provisioning Writs will no longer reward these recipes.
    Completing the certification quest for Provisioning will directly provide the recipes needed for the first tier of writs to ensure novice provisioners can immediately undertake the quests.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/251063/pc-mac-patch-notes-v2-3-5

As mentioned previously, they do still drop from the top tier writ containers. I've assumed that's a bug, but one they never bothered to fix. I can confirm for a fact that after doing thousands of Tier 1, 2, and 3 provisioning writs since this change, I HAVE NEVER had a provisioning writ recipe drop from them. I have, however, looted many in my travels across Tamriel.

EDIT 2:

I'm specifically referring to the recipes USED TO COMPLETE WRITS. The other green recipes, as well as blue and purple, will drop from the writ reward containers.
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on October 19, 2018 7:12PM